ImageImageImage

Sixers @ Jazz 1/2/08

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

wow444
Junior
And1: 2

Post#161 » by wow444 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:57 pm

No coach from any era could get that team to the playoffs, for the simple rea son that one of the biggest problems with that team is that they are uncoachable. Secondly, they lack a leader. Who on that team is going to back up the coach and set an example to the others? Regarding the Sixers. The argument here that talent is going to make Cheeks a better coach (I don't think he is a bad coach, just average) doesn't hold water. All aspects of the team need to be the best they can be. Of course talented players is the main ingredient, but coaching is still important and can make the difference between winning a championship and not. What if the Celtics don't make it to the finals? Then Ainge would have made a mistake not firing Doc and bringing in a better coach.
Don't worry, that builds character and you can never have too much character...
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#162 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:13 pm

What's next, WG MIP in 'o9. SD DOP?

Who we gonna bust on?
wow444
Junior
And1: 2

Post#163 » by wow444 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:31 pm

tk76 wrote:What's next, WG MIP in 'o9. SD DOP?

Who we gonna bust on?

Carney of course....:)
Don't worry, that builds character and you can never have too much character...
dond
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#164 » by dond » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:10 pm

SendEm wrote:Pat Riley could get those same Knicks players into the playoffs in the east as assembled.

I cannot believe you said that. Look what Pat Riley is doing with a team that was just recently the world champs.

And, please do not say that is because they are not the same team because that is precisely the point. Bad teams produce bad coaches.
Right now, Pat Riley is a bad coach. If Mo Cheeks was coaching the heat, he would have been fired by now.

Why do you think coaches get fired and hired, fired and hired, fired and hired ??? Because everyone in the League knows they are good coaches who just got fired because something had to be done to appease the fans who pay the bills. You can't fire the players .... so you fire the coach and then the fans are quiet for awhile in anticipation of things getting better. And they do get better just as they would have had they not fired the coach. Teams just get better over time. It is built into the system.
darius08
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#165 » by darius08 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:52 pm

The difference between Pat Riley and Cheeks is that Riley has a long long history. So you don't evaluate him just on one season. Cheeks has a shorter history. Each season matters more. And equally importantly even in that short history he hasn't done anything particularly distinguished. I don't know how I lean on Cheeks but I do know that he hasn't done anything that I can see as a fan which particularly distinguishes him. Should he be fired? That really depends on all the things that management gets to see which I don't.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers