ImageImageImage

Off season hypothetical

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#21 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:07 pm

Sixersftw wrote:luxury tax isn't anything to worry about when talking about lebron/wade (even though neither is likely moving). they put butts in seats/ sell boatloads of merchandise.

Huh?
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#22 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:11 pm

clarifying, I would worry about luxury tax when its time to cross that bridge. If you have a chance to get a lebron/wade you have to cut salary somewhere else. from a business standpoint they are to good to pass up. I wouldn't forgo a chance to get lebron because of the luxury tax, especially if i haven't extended my own players, thus not truly being over the tax threshold.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,073

Post#23 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:14 pm

Sixersftw wrote:clarifying, I would worry about luxury tax when its time to cross that bridge. If you have a chance to get a lebron/wade you have to cut salary somewhere else. from a business standpoint they are to good to pass up. I wouldn't forgo a chance to get lebron because of the luxury tax, especially if i haven't extended my own players, thus not truly being over the tax threshold.

The only way they would get either of those guys is through cap room, so the tax wouldn't be an issue.

Then again, there's no way either of those guys are signing here.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#24 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:17 pm

well yeah , i was assuming he meant in the future when you have to extend your own players (after signing lebron or whoever).
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SendEm
Banned User

Post#25 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:31 pm

There's no way that Portland and presumably Oklahoma City are more attractive destinations than Philadelphia. If that day comes two years from now and the Sixer's only competition to sign either James or Wade is between the Sonics and Trailblazers I'm rejoicing because Wade and Lebron, if they move at all, will choose Philly because it will mean more endorsement money, WAY MORE. Portland, Oklahoma City, or Philly? It's us everytime unless Oden and Alridge look like Hakeem and Tim Duncan....
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#26 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:41 pm

Holy ****, Portland has cap room in two summers?!?!? I didn't even realize that.

If they get rid of Miles they could have enough cap room to sign both of those guys! (Edit- alright maybe not because of cap holds, but still)

LeBron and Wade will get tons of endorsements regardless. Portland would be a perfect situation for either of them.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#27 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:46 pm

Philly is considered a backwater market compared to LA and NY. If you think we have any shot at Lebron on Dwade plan on disappointment. There is more to being a "big market" than local population. Philadelphia has always been a regional market- not what agents are looking for. Saying we are a more desirable market than OKC or Mil does not mena we are suddenly the place to be.

I challenge you to find any outide source that says we are in the running for either of those players (alstjough you see Lebron to NY thrown out there all the time in the media.)
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#28 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:46 pm

yeah. I had the exact same reaction. portland+lebron= gameover.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#29 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:46 pm

It REALLY matters what city you are playing in for your endorsement deals. Nike doesn't shell out the same money to Lebron in Cleveland that they would shell out to Lebron in LA. Endorsement contracts do come with language that increases wages paid to a player when they move to a larger market. Philly pays more than Portland....
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#30 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:03 pm

Depends on what the player is looking for. If the player is looking at career success/their legacy, Portland has a young core that could be tremendous for the next decade...with or without a Lebron or Wade. Philly is a bigger market, and if the issue is solely money, they may choose Philly over Portland if all else is equal. I love Philly, but the rest of the nation has a pretty negative view on the city...many players in this age range may have grown up hearing how awful the Philly sports fans are and how bad the teams are...it may still stick in the back of their mind when they consider their home for the next 5 years. Probably not a big factor in their decision, but it will cross their mind.

Yes Sixerscan...Portland's GM should be exectutive of the decade. A little luck, but also some tremendous moves on his part. Let's hope Ed can spin some of the same magic.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#31 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:06 pm

its usually a one time bonus for incentives , it doesn'tchange the term of the contracts base wage. Philly obviously pays more than portland but lebron isn't hurting for advertisments. Winning also comes with benifits. There are often bonuses for reaching certain incentives (conference finals, championship, mvp ect). From a pure business standpoint he would have to look if going to a major city outweights the incentives offered for winning + the actual mental fulfillment an athlete gets from winning.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:07 pm

Oden will go down as more than a little luck. Had we lost 3 more games last year and gotten Oden we would be heading to the finalsw in a few years too.
freshie2
RealGM

Post#33 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:11 pm

Yes...but Portland was 6th or 8th most likely to win the lottery...that is the luck to which I am referring. If the Sixers won the lottery last year, then yes, the future would look completely different.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#34 » by SendEm » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:57 pm

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that Greg Oden might actually be just a good NBA player and not be a HOF or even an All Star? I have seen him play once or twice and he's no Hakeem, Shaq, Timmy or Ewing...
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#35 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:28 pm

Neither were they at 19.

Well, maybe Shaq was.

The only thing that will hold him back is his health.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:43 pm

Oden will be like what we saw from Bynum last night, and then he will get better.
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#37 » by IggyTheBEaST » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:58 pm

Sixersftw wrote:yeah. I had the exact same reaction. portland+lebron= gameover.

ROY + Oden + LMA + Lebron = My New Favorite Team
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: Off season hypothetical 

Post#38 » by IggyTheBEaST » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:00 pm

freshie2 wrote:
Assuming they picked 3rd, and ultimately would sign Brand, who is your selection @ #3?

Nobody. You trade the pick
freshie2
RealGM

Post#39 » by freshie2 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:12 pm

Oden will at the very least be a defensive force if he can regain/maintain his health. He is more skilled offensively than I believe most give him credit for as well. I'd be shocked if he's not a very special player.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers