How Would CV Fit?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

STChaser
Starter
And1: 0

How Would CV Fit? 

Post#1 » by STChaser » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/deepsixer/

I've always liked Villanueva. I think his length would compliment Sam well in our frontcourt and CV has nice range on his shot. Think of the height advantage we had here last season with Hunter except CV has much more skill than Hunter.

The knock on him has been that he's lazy though I haven't seen that side of him - especially when he's played against us. He could conceivably come cheaper than many of our other prospects considering he's coming off the bench for the Bucks. While Josh Smith is infinitely more electrifying, I think a player like Villanueva could fit in just the same - so long as we still end up getting that one explosive go-to-guy on our roster. Whether that comes at the 4 or at the 1 or 2 doesn't really matter to me, just so long as we get it.

For the record, I DON'T think Iguodala is a franchise player. While I think he's grown in leaps and bounds and sometimes appears capable of being "that" guy, I think he's more suited to being a number 2. Ideally, we'd have a player like Rose here at the 1, move Iguodala to the 2 where he belongs, move Thaddeus to the 3, and either Villanueva or Josh Smith to the 4, with Sam at the 5. Until we secure a legitimate PF and guard with a scorers mentality, I think we're going to remain uncompetitive. And while LW almost has what it takes in my opinion, I think he's better coming off the bench with the second unit.

STChaser
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#2 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 pm

I think Villanueva would best fit as a reserve PF on a championship calibre team(when we're ready to contend). Similar to Mehmet Okur on the 04 Pistons team.

In the meanwhile, he would be a nice option to start.

He can stretch the D with his jump shot, making him a very legit option.
He's not the post prescence that we need at PF, but he is a very skilled offensive big.

His poor defense would probably be overshadowed by Sammy, so that's not really a major concern.

I'm not sure how good his rebounding is, but if he's at least a decent rebounder he would fit in well here.

Anyway..

CV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Evans
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#3 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Is he better than Evans and/or Jason Smith? Of course. Does that mean he "fits"? Not so sure about that. I would take him right now because he's an upgrade to what we have, but he's not someone I see as the future starter. He's too soft to be a starting PF on a contender.

Now for the important question....if you are making a deal for him, what do we have to give up to get him? I think we would have to give up something too valuable (#1 pick + expiring) to get him, thus making it a losing situation for us.

I say save the tradeable assets to make a run at someone significant at PF.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Re: How Would CV Fit? 

Post#4 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:05 pm

STChaser wrote:For the record, I DON'T think Iguodala is a franchise player. While I think he's grown in leaps and bounds and sometimes appears capable of being "that" guy, I think he's more suited to being a number 2. Ideally, we'd have a player like Rose here at the 1, move Iguodala to the 2 where he belongs, move Thaddeus to the 3, and either Villanueva or Josh Smith to the 4, with Sam at the 5. Until we secure a legitimate PF and guard with a scorers mentality, I think we're going to remain uncompetitive. And while LW almost has what it takes in my opinion, I think he's better coming off the bench with the second unit.

STChaser

I'm surprised to hear this from you since you are usually a perennial candidate for Optimist of the Year, but I'd say you are pretty dead on with this assessment. I do think Lou could eventually start, but with the departure of Korver he is really the only one who can carry the scoring load off the bench.

As for Villanueva, I've always wanted us to make a move for him. Theres some opportunity there with Bogut and Yi probable to become the Buck's front court for the foreseeable future. The problem is, Milwaukee and Philly really aren't good trade partners.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#5 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 pm

id be for getting him...
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
barkley34
Veteran

Post#6 » by barkley34 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:36 pm

I liked his game as a rookie, I know his rookie year he torched us in a game for like 32 points.

I think he has been a disappoint since his rookie season, he comes across to me as an underachiever, nonchalant type that just stands around on the perimeter most of the game. I also think he isn't much of a defensive player.

I'll pass on CV.
STChaser
Starter

Post#7 » by STChaser » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:10 am

I'm surprised to hear this from you since you are usually a perennial candidate for Optimist of the Year

Well, you know we're borderline unwatchable when the "perennial optimist" is no longer optimistic. :lol:

But like I said, sure up the PF spot and get a real aggressive scorer in our backcourt and I think we'll be on track. Until then, I think we're lottery bound, which may be a blessing considering we'll probably only get one of the needed pieces via free agency.

STChaser
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#8 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 am

STChaser wrote:
Well, you know we're borderline unwatchable when the "perennial optimist" is no longer optimistic. :lol:

Liar! nothing boderline about it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#9 » by bigdavid » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 am

After our stupid move letting Korver go lets do something smart and if possible get Vllanueva. He is an excellent and true power forward. Unlike Evans he can actually score. Find A way..................
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#10 » by IggyTheBEaST » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:48 am

ITB is angry! CV to Philly was MY idea!
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#11 » by sec-106 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:25 am

I've liked him, too.

Better than what we have, but not as good as who I hope to get this summer.

If the price is right, I make the move.

BTW-I also would like to see AI2 at SG and Young at SF.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#12 » by sec-106 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 am

IggyTheBEaST wrote:ITB is angry! CV to Philly was MY idea!

So was Evans!!
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by SendEm » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 am

CV is a soft player. Too soft to be a starter for a winning team at the PF. Too slow of foot to guard the elite SF's. He's a bench contributer.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#14 » by freshie2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 am

Never been a big fan of CV...think Toronto sold high, and wouldn't really extend myself to bring him in.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#15 » by LieCheatSteal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:05 am

I LOVE this idea. CV would totally fit here. I remember in Toronto he was showing shades of being a very good player. He would contribute here with his solid perimeter and outside shooting and would be a perfect complement to Dalembert. The downside is that he needs to be pushed. Mitchell with the Raps was always pushing him and, to his credit, he did respond. His game is similar to his idol's, Lamar Odom's, game.

I think Andre Miller for Dan Gadzuric and Villanueva would be a reasonable move. A combo of Gadzuric and Dalembert in the middle would be solid and Evans/CV3 would be decent too. That would leave Jason Smith out though. Until Evans is moved.
Two years from being two years away.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#16 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:15 am

If the cost was Shav, Carney, and Utah's pick... I would do it. Anything more substantial (Young/LouWill/any of our picks) and I lose interest real quick.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#17 » by SouthJersey » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:12 am

I would definetly take CV as a 6th man or spot starter. If all he needs is motivation, we got the ultimate motivater, LARRY BROWN. The guy motivated Derick Coleman.
Philly Family
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Philly Family » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 am

here a trade that works Evans and Randolph for CV and Jake Voskel..Thiis also helps because Voskel's contact is expiring at the end of the ear and would allow Cv and Smith to split time at the 4
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#19 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 am

SouthJersey wrote:I would definetly take CV as a 6th man or spot starter. If all he needs is motivation, we got the ultimate motivater, LARRY BROWN. The guy motivated Derick Coleman.

Wait.... unless Larry Brown is a code word for "CONTRACT" than it wasn't LB movitating DC. Remember the playoffs before DC became a free agent? The guy was a madman and showed everyone what he could have/should have been in his career.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#20 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 am

This is how i look at our team.

I don't know if this has something to do with Larry Brown being in the mix at the Sixers' front office. But since the departure of AI, the sixers squad has been molding like the Pistons. With all five guys who are good defenders, have length and can score at the 15-20ppg range. But the score part is a bit of a question mark right now, since we have yet seen a consistent scorer on our team, unlike with the Pistons who relied heavily on Rip's consistent mid range jumper and Billups' three point range on offense.

We have Andre Miller, who like Billups has good post up game. And is a good ball distributer. Iggy is somehow like Rip with his slashing ability. Thaddeus plays like the guy he compares himself with, Tayshaun. Daly could be like Big ben, being the team's anchor on defense being the last line in defense. And the player who we might compare to sheed right now is missing. And THAT role is vital, the Pistons' were not that good before they acquired Sheed. Can CV play the role of sheed? IMO, he lacks the post game and the defense Sheed brings. And if the Sixers is again planning to be mediocre, I don't see any problems bringing CV to play our no.4 in the team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers