ImageImageImage

Draft slot 5-8

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Re: Draft slot 5-8 

Post#41 » by Skates » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 pm

redemption wrote:Talking to a friend who goes to Marshall yesterday. He is not impressed with Whiteside. Says his room looks like a shrine to himself with posters and pictures of him all over. Pretty stuck on himself.

Said he threw off his jersey after his last game and said he couldn't wait to play for a 'real team'...

Which, of course, rules out the Sixers, as currently constituted!

redemption

The more I hear about this guy the more I am reminded of all of Sammy's weaknesses and foibles, only worse. No thanks.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#42 » by dbodner » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 am

Talking to a friend who goes to Marshall yesterday. He is not impressed with Whiteside. Says his room looks like a shrine to himself with posters and pictures of him all over. Pretty stuck on himself.

I have heard similar things from nba execs.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#43 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 am

Really, if we do end up with the 6th or 7th pick, who do we take? I think that I would probably start to look for a trade.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#44 » by freshie2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 am

I still think Monroe is a possibility to enter the draft, and I would take him in a heartbeat @ 6/7.
Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#45 » by Philly KDub » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm very high on DeMarcus Cousins. I know his post game needs more refinement but he is a pretty good rebounder and has an NBA ready body. I think he can step in and help the Sixers immediately with rebounding and defense. He is very big & strong and got ridiculous wingspan.

If we can't get Cousins then I would settle for Aldrich. He may not be that athletic but he got a solid post game. I can see him averaging 17-11-2 in the league.

I guess I got a thing for big men. I do like John Wall, Evan Turner, and other guys like them but big men are harder to find and I truly believe that if you can land a very good to dominant big man, it's easier to build around them and turn the team into a championship team.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#46 » by Foshan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am

If we land at 6/7, I would really prefer we make a move where we trade down where we come away with Xavier Henry in the late lotto (14ish), and Larry Sanders in the late teens. I'm not sure what kinda trade gives us that... but I think Sanders has the physical tools and motor to grow into a dominant defender.
freshie2
RealGM

Post#47 » by freshie2 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 pm

KDubbz wrote:I'm very high on DeMarcus Cousins. I know his post game needs more refinement but he is a pretty good rebounder and has an NBA ready body. I think he can step in and help the Sixers immediately with rebounding and defense. He is very big & strong and got ridiculous wingspan.

If we can't get Cousins then I would settle for Aldrich. He may not be that athletic but he got a solid post game. I can see him averaging 17-11-2 in the league.

I guess I got a thing for big men. I do like John Wall, Evan Turner, and other guys like them but big men are harder to find and I truly believe that if you can land a very good to dominant big man, it's easier to build around them and turn the team into a championship team.

My big men would probably go Favors/Cousins/Monroe...not sure that Aldrich really does anything for this team. He's a solid piece on a good club, but can't be viewed as an upgrade/savior, which is what this year's draft pick will ultimately have to be.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#48 » by dbodner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:52 pm

freshie2 wrote:
KDubbz wrote:I'm very high on DeMarcus Cousins. I know his post game needs more refinement but he is a pretty good rebounder and has an NBA ready body. I think he can step in and help the Sixers immediately with rebounding and defense. He is very big & strong and got ridiculous wingspan.

My big men would probably go Favors/Cousins/Monroe...not sure that Aldrich really does anything for this team. He's a solid piece on a good club, but can't be viewed as an upgrade/savior, which is what this year's draft pick will ultimately have to be.

I think we've blown the chance at a savior in the last two games.

I'm not sure I potentially view Monroe as a savior. In fact, I'd probably go Aldrich over him if a gun's to my head.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Philly KDub
Sixth Man
And1: 87

Post#49 » by Philly KDub » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 am

freshie2 wrote:

Favors has the most potential out of all 3, IMO but he is still raw and it will take him few years to really contribute. He could be a hit or a miss. I do like Monroe. He is pretty versatile for a big man but he's just too soft in my book. I want a tough & physical big man and that would be Cousins. We are highly unlikely to land Cousins since 1-5 pick may be out of our range. I think Aldrich would be a safe pick in the 5-8 slot. Hell, I'm almost positive that he will be more productive than all of our big men combined.
freshie2
RealGM

Post#50 » by freshie2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 pm

dbodner wrote:
freshie2 wrote:

I think we've blown the chance at a savior in the last two games.

I'm not sure I potentially view Monroe as a savior. In fact, I'd probably go Aldrich over him if a gun's to my head.

Well, I don't think either of us will be in that stressful a situation, but I don't think I'd be able to make the same move. I don't think Monroe is a savior either, but his versatility gives him much more potential/upside than Aldrich, while they both probably have the same 'worst case scenario'. Having someone in the post with great passing ability is a nice asset to have.

Why did they win the last two games anyway?? I really thought they were on the slippery slope, but this group, once again, shows it does have some heart/class...unfortunately for the franchise in the long run!!
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,515

Post#51 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:23 pm

There are two franchise players in this draft that I see so far and both are going 1 and 2. We wont be selecting in those spots. In fact I doubt we land the top five. So cross of Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, and Wes Johnson. I have no interest in the Lithuanian guy I can't even spell his name looking at is Dontavaneriousnessess Jestifakeviousneslik. We don't need a foreign project. The next best thing I think to do would be to get the best player available regardless of position.
I don't see Xavier Henry as a reach if we are picking in the 6-8 range. He may be the best player available. I think it depends on how his workouts go.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#52 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 pm

In deep thought for the last hour about our draft position. Assuming we can't get Turner and we land at say 6 hypathetically. It's got to be BPA. With that said the BPA just may very well be an athletic hybrid forward type of player like a Greg Monroe (who I think will come out), or an Al Foruq Aminu. Also don't count out guys like Gordan Hayward (Haywood)?, and J.P Prince rising up the draft charts with their tourny play. What i'm getting at is if we draft a player as dynamic as a Greg Monroe can we find a way to use him in a three hybrid forward lineup being Iguodala, Young, and lets just say Monroe? Iguodala would no doubt have to play the two thus leaving us without a natural 2guard. We would be long, and hella athletic though and we would not only create matchup problems but also be able to guard any G/F/F trio in the league with that type of lineup. Thats atleast what I see if we go the BPA route. If not we possibly reach for Xavier Henry or Avery Bradley. What do some of you think?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by The Guilty Party » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Your post has me confused. Greg Monroe is more center than athletic, hybrid forward. If we drafted him, I think he would be the heir apparent to Dalembert so I'm not really feeling the whole "matchup problem" that he would help us create by moving Iguodala to the 2. I like Monroe and I would be fine with drafting him but I honestly do believe that this teams needs to have a player who extends the D with the longball in the starting lineup next year. I don't care if Iguodala is a 2 or 3 just as long as the other swingman playing next to him can consistently hit outside shots.
freshie2
RealGM

Post#54 » by freshie2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 pm

You always have to go BPA in the NBA...

Monroe is a long term fit at center. Centers usually don't develop the ball skills/consistency until later, which is what he has now. He'll fill in and get stronger in time (as will Cousins which is a bit concerning). Monroe but could be a very high center for a long time.

The lineup now has Iguodala at the 2 with a shooter at the 3...seems to be somewhat successful, although there is a bit of fools' gold in there as well.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#55 » by agiaco » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Anyone have any news on Willie Warren? I know he was projected pretty high until he got injured. Maybe picking up a late first round pick and drafting Warren would be nice?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#56 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

TGP I really don't see how my post has you confused. You rate Monroe as a center yet the guy can probably play three positions on the floor with his ball skills. His is passing if far above average to that of a center yet he does not have the size of an NBA center. I compare Monroe as a better version of whatever Andray Blatche will become (which is pretty damn good). Much like Blatche Monroe could be played at three different positions on the floor due to his versatility. Therefore I don't see him strictly as a center.
I like Iguodala at the 2guard right now. It needs to stay that way because we arent going to get a mainstay at that position in this draft unless Evan Turner is there when we pick.
As for Willie Warren- Stock is dropping by the minute. He probably needs to go back to school for his junior year at this point.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#57 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 pm

"freshie2"You always have to go BPA in the NBA...
The lineup now has Iguodala at the 2 with a shooter at the 3...seems to be somewhat successful, although there is a bit of fools' gold in there as well.

If Iguodala can willingly play the shooting guard position for us this will really open up our options in the draft. I think Thaddeus Young can be used as a sixth man off the bench getting starters minutes and be fine with it. Chances are the BPA at the spot we are picking is Al Faroq Aminu, Greg Monroe if he declares, and Cole Aldrich or Kyle Singler if they declare. I think it's a mistake to pass on Xavier Henry because I think he's going to be very good in time as is Avery Bradley. Either way our options are expanded if we can finish this season with the lineup we have now and do well with it. It gives us a formula for what we need going into next season. I totally agree that there has to be a natural sniper on the floor to stretch the defense if Iguodala is our two guard. Obviously that player will have to come from the small forward position. Thaddeus Young isn't there yet but is a scorer. Kapono has played really well and I think played himself into a role player spot for next season on this team.
SkyHops
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#58 » by SkyHops » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 am

Personally, there are two positions of moderately desperate need on the Sixers right.
The 1st is a shooter who can defend at an average level, minimum. SG, SF, it does not matter.
The 2nd is a PF/C that can rebound, block shots, and play good pick and roll defense.

Beyond the top 4 (Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins) Wesley Johnson is a great fit and fits the shooting need.
Xavier Henry also fits the need, and odds are he will move up during workouts. And that is close to it for swingman that can shoot, without needing the offense run through them.

As far as bigs go, I think Monroe is an OK fit, and will improve over time. Ekpe Udoh is also a good fit, and he could play next to Sam or Elton.

Faroq Aminu... Terrible fit on the Sixers. Undersized 4 or big 3 who cannot hit an outside shot... I think we have that covered already.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:23 am

When this topic started, it seemed like we would be drafting somewhere between 5-8. Now it's looking like it's 7-10. If the draft does go the way we expect it to (W-T-F + Cousins and Johnson off the board by #6), I really am up for the idea of trading out of the draft altogether should we not be able to move up.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#60 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:58 am

What do we trade the pick for then? Anyway, we don't know that Johnson will go 5th. I don't think Aldrich or Monroe would be bad picks either. I know that we need a star, but adding another talented prospect can't hurt. We could also trade down to take someone like Udoh and Henry, maybe get a future pick out of it. Or maybe after all this talk about who we should take, we finally get some luck and land in the top 3... :)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers