2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 649

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#821 » by Pipp33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:08 am

Not often I'm happy to see Chelsea win a game, but happy they kept Manu form 3 points.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#822 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:04 am

Spurs looking for new investors.

Spurs had a loss of £86.8 million for the financial year to June 30, 2023.

New stadium but lot of player investments in the last 5-6 seasons. Pandemic year hurt revenues and they must be paying for the construction.

Surprised they didn’t sell naming rights. That stadium hosted an NFL game didn’t it? Probably could host more now.

Kane transfer fees should help and maybe consistently playing in the UCL would also be a financial boon. Though clubs have to really spend to get into UCL and stay there every season.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#823 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:19 pm

Pipp33 wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:
MaliBrah wrote:Is Emery serious with this line up? I get Watkins is hurt , McGinn is suspended and Cash is hurt I think ? But what the heck is this white flag lineup. This should’ve been one of City’s harder games left and he cowards out. Classic Emery.

Can’t call him a coward when we’ve had a whole starting 11 worth of players out by kick-off.

Emi Martinez, Cash, Mings, Pau Torres (needed rest and has a knock likely despite being on the bench), Moreno (needed rest), McGinn, Kamara, Buendia, Ramsey, Bailey(needing rest) and Watkins. That team alone would probably compete for a top 10/top 8 spot in the PL. It was always going to be difficult for us, but Emery has never used our injuries as an excuse. I think it’s why our injury problems never really get brought up as to why we lose some of these games. I get it that other teams have injuries but having to roll with your 3rd and 4th, sometimes 5th choice CBs and still compete well is something a lot of teams wouldn’t be able to do. I mean we had to sub on Chambers yesterday for Iroegbunam who had made his first ever start for us, Chambers is barely a PL level player these days.

We are still playing catch up to the traditional 'big 6' clubs in the PL in terms of squad depth and revenue wise. So when we have injuries our starting 11 can go from looking dangerous to just looking no different to a mid table side. Regardless our season has been amazing in my opinion, I don’t think anyone would have had us down as being in the top 4 down the final stretch of the season whilst being in the KO stages of Europe

Exactly! We simply do not have the depth of the Big 6 and Emery has looked at the upcoming schedule and planned for it. He only "rested" Torres, Tielemans, Bailey and Moreno (Digne sometimes starts over him anyway), but all of those players needed the time off.

If he was truly just giving the game away, Dougie Luiz, Diaby and Konsa would have been rested too

Exactly this.

I just don’t think he’d have wanted to intentionally throw the game. We were forced into a side like that, I’m sure if we had a healthier squad we possibly could’ve made it into a tighter game. It’s maybe one of the rarest games I was ok with the team despite the score line.

Finding out Ramsey is done for the season is annoying but not too surprising either, I don’t want to undermine the u21 tournament last summer but I hate that he attended it. Ah well, I’m in Emery’s school of thinking for the most part and I don’t want to use injuries as an excuse. However you always will have that 'what if?' In the back of your mind.

Hopefully we can sort the squad out this summer and get rid of our higher earners like Dendoncker, Coutinho and Sanson. Alongside the fringe players like Chambers. I’m conflicted if we should sell Digne as well considering he’s having his best season with us and Moreno has regressed a bit. I’d say yeah due to his salary and it might be our last chance to get something decent for him.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,348

Post#824 » by MaliBrah » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:49 pm

We just need some luck man. We’re playing at an unbelievable level lately. Just need some luck to get over the hump against two all timer managers
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#825 » by AK47MVP » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

VAR strikes again, perfect volley of Damsgaard disallowed for regular tussle in the box between players fighting for position. If VAR will get involved in every situation like that football will turn into snoozfest NFL game is.... 3 sec action, 3 min break. Pathetic.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,073

Post#826 » by Wisky4life » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm

I am done with Ten Hag. Unfortunately I don't know who would be good to replace. Probably some coach I haven't heard of. The old man retreads just don't call to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#827 » by AK47MVP » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Wisky4life wrote:I am done with Ten Hag. Unfortunately I don't know who would be good to replace. Probably some coach I haven't heard of. The old man retreads just don't call to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

His babysitting of overpaid "stars" is getting really annoying. Constantly being outplayed and outshot every game yet he keeps playing same underperforming players. Spent 55mil on Mount and does not use him in his best position or does not play him at all. Casemiro been awful since coming back from injury yet Amrabat or Eriksen does not see any playing time for last 2 month. Don't even get me starting about Rashford who is absolute **** all season and yet gets rewarded with playing time. I was in his camp after he sacked Ronaldo and Sancho but now looks like he lost it and does not have a clue what to do.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#828 » by The_Brecht » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:01 pm

Please Arsenal.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,630

Post#829 » by Baphomet » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:50 pm

Funeral procession at Sky after those Villa goals, and the Emirates was emptying out with over 10 minutes to play.

They really let a good chance slip today. Villa were absolutely superb though.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#830 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:14 pm

City intimidates even when they're not playing.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#831 » by Baphomet » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm

wco81 wrote:City intimidates even when they're not playing.

Don't know if it's that so much as Arsenal coming unstuck against a very good Villa team.

The Liverpool one seems more inexplicable, but I didn't watch it.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#832 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 am

Liverpool choked. Plain and simple.

8 or so years under Klopp. An amazing team...but only one title to show for it, when all said and done. A team with a ton of "what could have.." surrounding it. Very underwhelming.

After I came to grips with the choke job...I hoped at least Arsenal would get it (my best friend is huge Arse fan) but I think it's all over now. City don't look back.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#833 » by Young Stapler » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:27 am

Arsenal bottlers smh
Pipp33
Rookie

Post#834 » by Pipp33 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:19 am

Baphomet wrote:Funeral procession at Sky after those Villa goals, and the Emirates was emptying out with over 10 minutes to play.

I admit to not thinking we would do well in this game, but what a masterclass from Unai Emery.

Having to cover the loss of Dougie Luiz was going to be hard (especially with Kamara already out), but Tielemans was outstanding alongside McGinn.

Fantastic performance all round, with Zaniolo putting in his best performance in a Villa shirt. Rogers has gotten better with every performance in the Prem and looks like being a great buy. Lovely to see Diego Carlos have such a good game too. He's been in good touch after overcoming his injuries.

Watkins MUST be in high consideration for Prem Player of the Season. 19 Goals (no penalties) and 10 assists is a brilliant season and if he was a City /Arsenal/Liverpool player he would be un-backable odds.

Hoping we can take this confidence to Lille on Thursday
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#835 » by The_Brecht » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 am

Villa rolling over at City and today playing their hearts out.

smh
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#836 » by LDNMagic90 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 pm

Pipp33 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Funeral procession at Sky after those Villa goals, and the Emirates was emptying out with over 10 minutes to play.

I admit to not thinking we would do well in this game, but what a masterclass from Unai Emery.

Having to cover the loss of Dougie Luiz was going to be hard (especially with Kamara already out), but Tielemans was outstanding alongside McGinn.

Fantastic performance all round, with Zaniolo putting in his best performance in a Villa shirt. Rogers has gotten better with every performance in the Prem and looks like being a great buy. Lovely to see Diego Carlos have such a good game too. He's been in good touch after overcoming his injuries.

Watkins MUST be in high consideration for Prem Player of the Season. 19 Goals (no penalties) and 10 assists is a brilliant season and if he was a City /Arsenal/Liverpool player he would be un-backable odds.

Hoping we can take this confidence to Lille on Thursday

It was an amazing game and a huge boost for our top 4 hopes.

It was hard to pick a man off the match as everyone put in a shift, but it’s between Diego Carlos and Tielemans. As you said that was hands down Zaniolo’s best game, Rogers looks comfortable at this level and I can’t wait to see how he looks in the next couple of seasons.

I had the game down as a free hit after Tottenhams result(so long as we didn’t get hammered) and I was happily wrong about that prediction.

Considering we are missing Kamara, Luiz, Mings, Buendia and Cash against a very strong Arsenal it’s probably my favourite result of the season. It’s a shame we weren’t able to field a better a team vs City. Imagine if we did? We could’ve grabbed a point or something but oh well.

I hope we can beat Lille to go through to the semis, Villa Park should be rocking for the Bournemouth game to give the players that edge against a tricky Bournemouth side. Thankfully their wingers are injured I believe.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#837 » by Baphomet » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:50 pm

Palmer with a first half hat-trick against Everton.

This kid is a menace. He needs to go to Euro 2024.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,348

Post#838 » by MaliBrah » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:00 pm

still down from yesterday but man... 1 draw @ city and 1 loss in 2024 and your season may be in tatters.... Sickening
Pipp33
Rookie

Post#839 » by Pipp33 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:47 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Villa rolling over at City and today playing their hearts out.

smh

We had more players out vs City...and you forget that we completely outplayed them at Villa Park
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,279

Post#840 » by Shaazzam » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 pm

That was a pen on Graelish and then Walker pushed the striker in the back. **** City.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone

Return to The General Soccer Board