Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,272

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#401 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:46 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Good hire?

Unfortunately, I know very little of the Portuguese League, but he did revive Sporting, similar to Klopp and Dortmund.

From what I've read, Amorim's teams are well structured. They play with a highline but box teams in well and are hard to counter with the two CM sitting in front of the back 3. The bulk of goals and assists come from the front 3 and wingbacks while the two CM are about control and security.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#402 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:46 pm

I guess they forgot how to play. Trophies gone. Pretty depressing. A really remarkable Jan and Feb all for nought.

Now I just hope Arsenal can hold on.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#403 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:43 pm

Hate to say it....and perhaps it's just cause the wounds are fresh, but this team reminds me a bit of the Dodgers. Really nice 8-9 year window.....with not alot to show for it. Dodgers managed to win one (weird pandemic season) but when you look back, there prob should have been more. At least if your looking at the Dodgers, you can point to them making 3 World Series, and we've all found out the Astros and Red-Sox had cheated. Still some real choke-jobs in there too.

Liverpool finally broke through and won the league...but it was a weird pandemic season. You can even look back to a couple years ago, when we almost won the Quad....and point out that we did our all, and just couldn't catch City. There's no shame in how that happened. Neither is there much shame in losing to the total power-house that is Madrid.

But like this year? Dude...our kids/bench kept us alive with a two month performance worthy of song. And the regular squad just choked down the stretch. This was ours to win. We sh** the bed. What a pathetic, but sort of indicative ending to it all.

And for all the close calls...for all the excuses...for all the "coulda beens".....this window with Klopp gave us 1 title. Feel like we raked in the Carboa (whatever its called...who really cares?) cups....if that means anything to anyone.

Some amazing moments. The Barca game is historic. This run back in Jan-Feb....amazing. We were so close 2 seasons ago! I mean Stevie-G's team was up on City by two goals in the 70th minute! Heart-break. But at the same time....when the dust settled, we got 1 title. Alot of years at the top in Jan-Feb-March.....only to stumble at the finish.

And we had a nice break a little while back too. Felt like we didn't play for almost 2 weeks. So WTF?!?!! I'm gonna always be of two minds with Klopp. I mean......yes, he's been amazing. It's been an incredible team with some incredible games. Of course I'm glad he came, and of course I love the guy. But 8 draws this season! So many draws throughout his reign. And so many CRUCIAL dips in form. Right when we were there....something "derp" always seems to happen.

Eh well...it is what it is. I'm just bummed as hell today. But for every Barca night.....feels like there are about 6-7 Crystal Palace nights too. I think this team ultimately looks back at this 7-8 year window, and has to feel a little disappointed with themselves.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#404 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:44 pm

Oh...and final crap on the day. Arse lost....so hurray, it's another season for City! How new and exciting.
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 410

Post#405 » by KG Leonard » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am

Yeah it was a horrible weekend for me as a PL fan who doesn't have a fav team in PL.

Liverpool I hoped for PL win ending for Klopp but I thought at least Arsenal looked strong, might win. Now PL is wide open road for the City again, very exciting like Bayern making Bundesliga non competitive until Bayern Leverkusen this year.

Bad luck for Klopp that Salah has lost his abilities since coming back from a CAF injury and Jota wouldn't miss this many chances.

Skickat från min Pixel 7 Pro via Tapatalk
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#406 » by MetalFingaz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 pm

I do think the Klopp era will be defined as being runners-up to the City juggernaut, but a UCL, a League title, an FA Cup, and 2 League Cups is not exactly a shocking haul. I don't agree with the notion that the League Cup isn't important. Good teams go into it trying to win it. I was ecstatic watching our captain score in the 119' to beat Chelsea.
It's time for 5 refs.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,279

Post#407 » by Shaazzam » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:41 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:I do think the Klopp era will be defined as being runners-up to the City juggernaut, but a UCL, a League title, an FA Cup, and 2 League Cups is not exactly a shocking haul. I don't agree with the notion that the League Cup isn't important. Good teams go into it trying to win it. I was ecstatic watching our captain score in the 119' to beat Chelsea.

5 Trophies? Fack, I'd take it.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,630

Post#408 » by Baphomet » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:I do think the Klopp era will be defined as being runners-up to the City juggernaut, but a UCL, a League title, an FA Cup, and 2 League Cups is not exactly a shocking haul. I don't agree with the notion that the League Cup isn't important. Good teams go into it trying to win it. I was ecstatic watching our captain score in the 119' to beat Chelsea.

It's a fantastic haul, honestly. Klopp's Liverpool will be remembered as one of the best Premier League teams of all time, as they should be.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,630

Post#409 » by Baphomet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm

Arne Slot of Feyenoord emerging as a potential candidate for the Liverpool job and they have already made contact, according to reports. I was interested in this guy joining Spurs last summer before we brought in Ange, but he ultimately decided to stay with Feyenoord. A year later, the time might be right for him to make a bigger move.

Thoughts?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#410 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 pm

Baphomet wrote:Arne Slot of Feyenoord emerging as a potential candidate for the Liverpool job and they have already made contact, according to reports. I was interested in this guy joining Spurs last summer before we brought in Ange, but he ultimately decided to stay with Feyenoord. A year later, the time might be right for him to make a bigger move.

Thoughts?

Not sure what to believe anymore.

Ornstein stated a couple days ago that Amorim was not the lead candidate as was reported in Portugal. He did say, much like Romano, that Amorim is just one of many being considered. And now today, Slot's name has been throw into the mix.

Probably will back away until the club makes an official statement.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#411 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 pm

Well, just in case there was any ray of light...the coffin got nailed shut today. What a whimpering end to it all
Baseline81
Starter

Post#412 » by Baseline81 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 pm

Apparently Slot is the leading candidate -- better football fit with his playing approach mirroring Liverpool.

As for Amorim, this is from Sky Sports:
Sporting coach Ruben Amorim had made Liverpool's shortlist, and despite the external noise over him, the club always maintained he was not the leading or preferred option.

He ticked several requirements, but his playing approach - particularly using three at the back - and long-term vision did not fit the current squad nor the philosophy implemented through all age groups at Liverpool.

Suggestions that financial reasons were behind Amorim not being the frontrunner for the Anfield job has been termed fiction.

EDIT: Sky Sports' headline "Liverpool agree Arne Slot compensation deal with Feyenoord in principle"

Return to The General Soccer Board