European Super League (Indefinitely Suspended)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,495

Re: European Super League? 

Post#161 » by Foye » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
Foye wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Majority of the arguments against clubs achieving independence from UEFA so far are blatantly ethnocentric and borderline xenophobic.

Wonder what you will say about this when Arsenal hover around the bottom of the Super League table for years. :lol:

Clubs have their legitimate owners and they should be able to freely decide who they want to cooperate with. Whether I like that or not is irrelevant.

As I said...I am not completely against a Super League indenpendent from UEFA bc they are a bunch of corrupt scumbags.
However, the current proposal is garbage. There's no other way to put it. Garbage. Only benefits those that are making the rules.
Perez is even talking about reducing the game time to 35 minutes a half because he can't hold his pee for longer than that or whatever reason.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#162 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Foye wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:
Foye wrote:
Wonder what you will say about this when Arsenal hover around the bottom of the Super League table for years. :lol:

Clubs have their legitimate owners and they should be able to freely decide who they want to cooperate with. Whether I like that or not is irrelevant.

As I said...I am not completely against a Super League indenpendent from UEFA bc they are a bunch of corrupt scumbags.
However, the current proposal is garbage. There's no other way to put it. Garbage. Only benefits those that are making the rules.
Perez is even talking about reducing the game time to 35 minutes a half because he can't hold his pee for longer than that or whatever reason.

I'm sure he'll compromise and allow 4x11 minutes with a 15 minute info break between each quarter. Shouldn't all sports be played in Quarters Mr Glazer?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#163 » by Jack Dempsey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:51 pm

HIF wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Majority of the arguments against clubs achieving independence from UEFA so far are blatantly ethnocentric and borderline xenophobic.

Most of us don't care if your team leaves the prem. We just don't want them staying in and wrecking football for their own cause. Even your players don't want it and think your owner is just a greedy monster. :lol:

Kick them out EPL!

While I think that Rasho Brezec' comment is sick, disgusting and definitely not worth quoting, I'm still glad you did and said what you said. I totally agree. Kick them out, let them create their own league. The rest of us will gladly watch Benfica, Slavia or Olympiakos in the Champions League. Full Stands and a traditional football atmosphere will always generate medial interest even or especially without those couple of teams that made the Champions League boring and unwatchable.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,516

Post#164 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 pm

HIF wrote:I remember how some American Friends of mine had a hard time understanding why English sports had "draws" (that's ties for you North Americans) in all of their sports. Culturally they couldn't understand that for us winning wasn't the point of sport, only a target and not having a winner even after 5 days - like in Test Match Cricket - was not a problem for us.

In the states has there been a movement to get soccer to have extra time until a winner is found in each match?

This will happen at some point lol. The NHL (Hockey) made this change, in which ties (draws) use to be a thing. But now there's a 5 minute OT period, followed by a Shootout to determine a winner.

It's very true. Americans hate ties in their sports. Culturally, it's very un-American.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#165 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:01 pm

Jack Dempsey wrote:It's different in the US. You guys have like 30 professional Teams you're rooting for. In Europe we have hundreds and everyone of them has his own fanbase. Football is still very popular.

This is why college sports are so popular in the States.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#166 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Message Boar wrote:Edit: also sad to see some North-American posters almost gleefully fine with pushing an American system on European football. I suppose caring only about money and your own happiness is the American way, but you should try caring about the lives and happiness of others sometime, it's great ;) ! Cactus Jack, you in particular as a Sonics fan -A SONICS FAN-, should be able to recognize how the greed of ownership can destroy the happiness of a fanbase. Shame on you. Or are you fine with the Sonics becoming the Thunder?

You have a fair point.

A team being moved however (taken from a community) is a little different than this topic. Would you agree?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,495

Post#167 » by Foye » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Jack Dempsey wrote:It's different in the US. You guys have like 30 professional Teams you're rooting for. In Europe we have hundreds and everyone of them has his own fanbase. Football is still very popular.

So what would the outrage be if the big college teams would just do a "Super March Madness League" and only allow a select few other universities to occassionally take part in it?
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,239

Post#168 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Foye wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:
Foye wrote:

I don't know who their PR team is, but they made a mistake. I still think this is just a bluff from both sides, but the clubs should have been more creative to find a way of keeping relegation/promotion, and offer a path as difficult as it can be, but still a path to every team in Europe to get in.

The issues with 15 members in a 20 team league and with relegation is that there is a very big risk that a founding team can relegate.
This risk is almost 0 in their current domestic leagues, because those 6 teams play in a 20 team league. Between those 12 only Atletico relegated 20 years ago. City did relegate, but that was before Mansour, so it doesn't really count. I would have increased the league to 30, and possibly create another league, like EuroCup in basketball, with a further 20 teams. Now, they can be totally independent financially, so those 30 teams would not share the revenue with those in the second league. And make a qualifying path for every champion in Europe to get in that second league, similar to what we have in Champions League. 30 teams, with 2 teams relegated/promoted between those 2 leagues, is not the end of the world. Every founding member should survive. You can still decide how the prize money and tv deals are distributed. The pie is so big that they can give a lot of money to the other 15 to attract them to the league.

I think something like that would not face such a public outrage in the beginning, and they need the public to play this poker game with UEFA.
UEFA would still complain even if the system had promotion/relegation, because they lose the money and the power they have, and this is all they care about anyway.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer

Post#169 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

So what would the outrage be if the big college teams would just do a "Super March Madness League" and only allow a select few other universities to occassionally take part in it?

It wouldn't make sense financially for them, so they won't do it. It all comes down to money. The reason why people are outraged of the SuperLeague is that would be very successful and take that money away from everybody else. The NCAA tournament would be just as popular without those few universities. We just had a tournament without Duke and Kentucky.

If they would do that in the basketball tournament they would shoot themselves in the foot, and people would simply stop watching, and continue to watch the NCAA tournament. There is already an elite league where the best play, it's called NBA. Americans don't like to watch multiple league that do the same thing. NBA is for elite players, NCAA is for amateurs. They are 2 different things.

Another thing is NCAA is self sustaining, they don't need money from NBA to survive. The problem in Europe is that a lot of leagues are not self sustaining, and they need the money from UEFA/ local authorities to survive, and that where I breakaway. If you are not self sustaining, you should not exist, simple economics. If a local team is so popular, then the fans can sustain it. Buy the tickets, buy the merchandise, in other words, put your money where your mouth is. There are a lot of teams begging for money from the authorities. They don't have a sewer system, but they put money into football, it's crazy.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#170 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

If Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona did something similar, it would certainly create a ton of it.

College teams/universities have the same type of tribalism among fans in the States, that Football clubs have throughout Europe.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer

Post#171 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:This is why college sports are so popular in the States.

If Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona did something similar, it would certainly create a ton of it.

College teams/universities have the same type of tribalism among fans in the States, that Football clubs have throughout Europe.

I think that would be self-destructive for them, so that's why they are not even thinking about it. NCAA would suffer a little in the short term, and those universities will lose a ton of money.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#172 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 pm

HIF wrote:I'm sure he'll compromise and allow 4x11 minutes with a 15 minute info break between each quarter. Shouldn't all sports be played in Quarters Mr Glazer?

Lol his team just won the Super Bowl. Don't be so hard on the guy. :wink:
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#173 » by Message Boar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Edit: also sad to see some North-American posters almost gleefully fine with pushing an American system on European football. I suppose caring only about money and your own happiness is the American way, but you should try caring about the lives and happiness of others sometime, it's great ;) ! Cactus Jack, you in particular as a Sonics fan -A SONICS FAN-, should be able to recognize how the greed of ownership can destroy the happiness of a fanbase. Shame on you. Or are you fine with the Sonics becoming the Thunder?

You have a fair point.

A team being moved however (taken from a community) is a little different than this topic. Would you agree?

Yes and no. It's obviously not a 1:1 comparison and the clubs in question would seem to be where they always were, so yes it's a little different. However, speaking more broadly it's still taking something that people love, and turning it into something unrecognizable, something fundamentally different than what it was before. So in that sense I do see similarities. The 12 can talk about how they want to remain in their domestic leagues all they want, but the other teams and their associations won't stand for that. So English fans, for example, would have to swallow their teams no longer being in the Premier League and FA Cup etc, so they can join the travelling circus. Some might be okay with that, many will not.

It's like... Sonics fans had their wife (the team in this metaphor) abducted and taken away to some random city in the middle of the US and held there for decades. Which was also a disgrace, btw. Football fans would be having their wives infected and zombified, but at least she's still living in the house (city) with them, chained up in a cupboard.
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect

Post#174 » by Jack Dempsey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:This is why college sports are so popular in the States.

It wouldn't make sense financially for them, so they won't do it. It all comes down to money. The reason why people are outraged of the SuperLeague is that would be very successful and take that money away from everybody else. The NCAA tournament would be just as popular without those few universities. We just had a tournament without Duke and Kentucky.

If they would do that in the basketball tournament they would shoot themselves in the foot, and people would simply stop watching, and continue to watch the NCAA tournament. There is already an elite league where the best play, it's called NBA. Americans don't like to watch multiple league that do the same thing. NBA is for elite players, NCAA is for amateurs. They are 2 different things.

Another thing is NCAA is self sustaining, they don't need money from NBA to survive. The problem in Europe is that a lot of leagues are not self sustaining, and they need the money from UEFA/ local authorities to survive, and that where I breakaway. If you are not self sustaining, you should not exist, simple economics. If a local team is so popular, then the fans can sustain it. Buy the tickets, buy the merchandise, in other words, put your money where your mouth is. There are a lot of teams begging for money from the authorities. They don't have a sewer system, but they put money into football, it's crazy.

Not at all. At least not for the fans.

Nobody besides the fans of those 12 clubs is against the Super League. Our problem is that they want to continue playing in their national championships without having any sporting interest and eliminate the international competitions. Our problem is that they want to enlargen the gap between them and the rest of Europe. If they wanted to leave the UEFA and create their own League I could care less. Of course I'd miss the old Liverpool and the old Man Utd but it wouldn't be a tragedy.
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect

Post#175 » by Jack Dempsey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:

I think that would be self-destructive for them, so that's why they are not even thinking about it. NCAA would suffer a little in the short term, and those universities will lose a ton of money.

Ok, let's compare it to the NBA. Imagine the NBA reduced the playoff spots to 4 for each conference where the 3 richest teams had a guaranteed spot in the Playoffs EVERY YEAR and the other 12 Teams had to fight for the remaining spot. Besides that, the Teams with a guaranteed spot would have no salary cap, could spent as much as they want to and had no roster spot restrictions. Of course, revenue sharing would also be changed so that only the playoff teams would share the cake by themselves with the other teams getting peanuts. THAT'S THE SUPER LEAGUE!!! It would ruin everything. The rich would get richer while the others would have no chances of surviving.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#176 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
Foye wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Clubs have their legitimate owners and they should be able to freely decide who they want to cooperate with. Whether I like that or not is irrelevant.

I don't know who their PR team is, but they made a mistake. I still think this is just a bluff from both sides, but the clubs should have been more creative to find a way of keeping relegation/promotion, and offer a path as difficult as it can be, but still a path to every team in Europe to get in.

It could also be something top dogs planned for years, but needed a patsy at the head of UEFA to actually pull it off. That's why they elected someone who wasn't even eligible to run and nobody knew him.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,988

Post#177 » by Drax » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Thank god Bayern Munich made it official to no participate in the super league, i was allready exploring a new favorite professional team to root for and came to a closure of having close to thirty years of support ripped out of my identity.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett, Tillman
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford, Kornet
HIF
RealGM

Post#178 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

But far more corrupt even than FIFA :wink:

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,662

Post#179 » by Baphomet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Drax wrote:Thank god Bayern Munich made it official to no participate in the super league, i was allready exploring a new favorite professional team to root for and came to a closure of having close to thirty years of support ripped out of my identity.

Bayern's hierarchy is full of people with a background in the game of football who understand the moral implications of a walled garden league. Many of these so-called big 12 clubs are run by carpetbaggers, investment bankers and oil fascists.
HIF
RealGM

Post#180 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Jack Dempsey wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:
Foye wrote:

Not at all. At least not for the fans.

Nobody besides the fans of those 12 clubs is against the Super League. Our problem is that they want to continue playing in their national championships without having any sporting interest and eliminate the international competitions. Our problem is that they want to enlargen the gap between them and the rest of Europe. If they wanted to leave the UEFA and create their own League I could care less. Of course I'd miss the old Liverpool and the old Man Utd but it wouldn't be a tragedy.

You're wasting your time the guy is incapable of understanding the problem as we see it.

Return to The General Soccer Board