Official Manchester United FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,078

Re: Official Manchester United FC Thread 

Post#661 » by Wisky4life » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:47 am

Don't want Zidane, only for the reason he would be there 3 years and then leave. Definitely fine with Ten Hag as a long term coach. Not many options out their that are free. All currently with teams, Hag, Rodgers, Pochettino.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#662 » by SgtPepper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:58 am

Shaazzam wrote:Our midfield is trash. Matic is junk. Fred is b-level. Pogba can pass but doesn't defend. Mctominay can't pass. Bruno is excellent but is risky. The outside guys don't track back. So we can't get from the back to the front unless it's on the break and we unleash the grey hounds.

We need to play Van der Beek more to see what he has. Today he was making slick little passes that unleashed guys.

Agree, this is what I was alluding to with my last sentence. Utd could have done with a backup RB and rounded generalist midfielder rather than these branded buys who add quality into roles which had pretty good quality already. Varane is a great player but how much more does he add over Lindelof + Maguire given he's not a strong playmaker?

^^ Man Utd has a pretty weird culture. The idea that any continental manager is a fit for them is pretty questionable. IMO both LVG and Mou were better managers than Fergie but their reigns, despite achieving important turnaround goals, aren't regarded with the respect they would at other clubs. Back when Fergie was active the fanbase was negative on Fabio Capello considerations despite the latter winning titles in multiple leagues & clubs. It's clear that the club alums in media will bias for someone British too. I'm quite familiar with Zizou and can easily imagine the fans complaining at him for switching away from a classic 442 to run a diamond that's workmanlike. The only active continental manager I could imagine assimilating well is Carlo because he's a big picture coach who improves attacking cohesion first, but he escaped to Madrid last summer.

Even the continental players who passed thru (Di Maria, Herrera) since Fergie's retirement comment on how weird and institutional it is.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#663 » by HIF » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Manchester need an experienced coach who has won major trophies. Going with inexperienced old boys is crazy for any team in the top half of the table and for United going for young potential is stupid too. Zidane would be a good one to take. Rodgers would be a bad move, he's at his level now (and tbh if he went and we got Potter - which we won't - I'd be fine with that).
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#664 » by HIF » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Wisky4life wrote:Don't want Zidane, only for the reason he would be there 3 years and then leave. Definitely fine with Ten Hag as a long term coach. Not many options out their that are free. All currently with teams, Hag, Rodgers, Pochettino.

3 years of winning would be worth it. I don't know enough of ten hag but Rodgers and Pochettino just aren't winners.

HIF
RealGM

Post#665 » by HIF » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Saying that Fernandes and Beek and others can pass is one thing but Manchester need a couple of midfielders who can defend. That is their weakness not creation.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,354

Post#666 » by Shaazzam » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:21 pm

HIF wrote:Saying that Fernandes and Beek and others can pass is one thing but Manchester need a couple of midfielders who can defend. That is their weakness not creation.

Yup, I totally agree. That was the point of my omission. Our MF is junk. We need some smashers. Like your dude a lot, it's Ndidi right?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#667 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:20 pm

Uplifting win last night over an in-form Arsenal squad. Thank you Carras for getting us through the mud and now we get to see how our new manager will lead this team the rest of the season.

Mr. Inevitable putting 2 past the Gooners. Love to see it. Whether he's 19 or 36, it's happening.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#668 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:48 pm

Removing OGS has unlocked who other than FRED!

1-0 under Ralf. Keep building lads!
Here Lies The Process
HIF
RealGM

Post#669 » by HIF » Mon Dec 6, 2021 1:08 pm

The first 11 games for Rangnick are all easily winnable, in fact a loss in any would be a major upset. If Man U rack up 33 points in those games they'll be near the top and the talk will become about him getting the job permanently. Of course the harder games after that may bring people back down to earth.

GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#670 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:50 pm

HIF wrote:The first 11 games for Rangnick are all easily winnable, in fact a loss in any would be a major upset. If Man U rack up 33 points in those games they'll be near the top and the talk will become about him getting the job permanently. Of course the harder games after that may bring people back down to earth.

Agree, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Over the past near decade we have been notorious for botching fixtures against small clubs (especially at home), while we seem to get up for the big matches. It would be nice to see them go on a streak and really shrink that gap, though. Just got to take it one at a time and hopefully see Liverpool, Chelsea, and City fall out of form.
Here Lies The Process
HIF
RealGM

Post#671 » by HIF » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:09 am

All I've been hearing everytime Man U play is 4-2-2-2. Having fallen at the first hurdle will the media now accept that Rangnick is simply just another good manager?

HIF
RealGM

Post#672 » by HIF » Mon Jan 3, 2022 7:43 pm

ouch! draw to Newcastle and now a loss to Wolves.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#673 » by Shaazzam » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:55 pm

so gross, i know it sounded trite before when i said who can and cant pass, but god damn it, our midfield without bruno and pogba cant **** pass the ball

pogba drives people nuts, but he's a dude that could unleash our offensive weapons, we must get some MFs that can actually do the job
like, over the years i've watched dudes like Beckham, Scholes and Carrick distribute the ball all over the pitch so the killers could get the ball into the final third and do something with it... it's so frustrating having a **** MF

never mind the glaring mistakes we make that give up that lead to goals
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
HIF
RealGM

Post#674 » by HIF » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:22 am

Pogba offered £20m a year in wages to stay at Man U. Staggering wages but probably a reasonable investment if only Pogba wasn't such a ego filled drama queen who only turns up when he wants to.

HIF
RealGM

Post#675 » by HIF » Thu Feb 3, 2022 11:17 am

Looks like PSG want rid of Poch, badly. Seems he'll be the Man U manager in the summer. Will he live up to the hype?

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#676 » by The_Brecht » Thu Feb 3, 2022 11:27 am

HIF wrote:Looks like PSG want rid of Poch, badly. Seems he'll be the Man U manager in the summer. Will he live up to the hype?

No.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,259

Post#677 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Feb 4, 2022 10:55 pm

oh no
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#678 » by Shaazzam » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:15 pm

heh, was one of those games where chance after chance was wasted :(
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#679 » by The_Brecht » Wed Feb 9, 2022 11:20 pm

The most expensive squad in the world.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#680 » by HIF » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:32 pm

And here I was thinking Ralf would have more than a dozen consecutive wins with this easy part of the schedule. Ralf out! Poch in! Man U Europa League.

Return to The General Soccer Board