German National Football Team Thread (Nationalmannschaft)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 369

Re: German National Football Team Thread (Nationalmannschaft 

Post#81 » by Det the Threat » Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm

No_20 wrote:You miss that Messi/Ronaldo/Iniesta type of World Class player.

Messi's done nothing during world cups so far.

We've also hardly ever been the team with the "top stars" rather then one with a lot of very good players that play as a team.

Still, Marco Reus is going to be the player of the tournament, as long as we make it at least to the semfinals again.

As for our defensive midfield and defense. Hummels makes no sense at all at DM, cause he can't play that position anymore given that he'd need to lose quite some weight to be able to make all those runs. He himself said so as well.

I guess we'll have to hope that Khedira's fit and I really hope we don't play Kroos at the DM spot, cause that's just a disaster waiting to happen.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#82 » by Man of Steel » Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 pm

For what it's worth Khedira looked good in his first match back. Still don't think he's a DM though.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#83 » by Ted Lasso » Fri May 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Man of Steel wrote:For what it's worth Khedira looked good in his first match back. Still don't think he's a DM though.

He is not, but his forward roaming yet physical & combative tendencies complement players like Schweinsteiger really well. So he fits like a glove.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 320

Post#84 » by No_20 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:39 am

Det the Threat wrote:
No_20 wrote:You miss that Messi/Ronaldo/Iniesta type of World Class player.

Messi's done nothing during world cups so far.

We've also hardly ever been the team with the "top stars" rather then one with a lot of very good players that play as a team.

Still, Marco Reus is going to be the player of the tournament, as long as we make it at least to the semfinals again.

As for our defensive midfield and defense. Hummels makes no sense at all at DM, cause he can't play that position anymore given that he'd need to lose quite some weight to be able to make all those runs. He himself said so as well.

I guess we'll have to hope that Khedira's fit and I really hope we don't play Kroos at the DM spot, cause that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Not just Messi/CR/Iniesta, but also Neymar, Rooney, Zlatan or Suarez. Guys you can build your team around.

When you had Ballack(who was the face of Germany at that time) you made 2 Finals and 3rd Place.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#85 » by Det the Threat » Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 am

No_20 wrote:
Not just Messi/CR/Iniesta, but also Neymar, Rooney, Zlatan or Suarez. Guys you can build your team around.

When you had Ballack(who was the face of Germany at that time) you made 2 Finals and 3rd Place.

OK. What exactly, with Zlatan maybe being the exception, have those guys shonw internationally that players like Reus or Schweinsteiger haven't?

BTW: We made just one final with Ballack(2002, where he was suspended thanks to his 2nd yellow card in the knockout stages) and finished third at home in 2006.
In 2010 Ballack wasn't even in the squad because he was injured just before the world cup started.
And we still made it to the semifinals and finished third with a team regarded as way too young, while starting Arne "freakin" Friedrich as centre back.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 320

Post#86 » by No_20 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 am

2002 and 2008 = 2 Finals.
2006 = 3rd place.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 11,109

Post#87 » by cgf » Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Man can you guys imagine how much better we'd be with Neymar? I mean sure he'd never play, but that wouldn't stop him from winning us pivotal friendlies.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Det the Threat » Sat May 24, 2014 3:55 pm

No_20 wrote:2002 and 2008 = 2 Finals.
2006 = 3rd place.

Yep.
And we still made it to the semis in 2010 and 2012 and Ballack, as well, wouldn't have been able to overcome the tactical brilliance of Löw during that semifinal against Italy.

Rooney has done hardly anything during international tournaments, Zlatan has been solid, the guy helping Uruguay to the semifinal in 2010 was Forlan and not Suarez and Neymar's done nothing so far, as this is his first world cup.
cgf
RealGM

Post#89 » by cgf » Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 am

Det the Threat wrote:
No_20 wrote:2002 and 2008 = 2 Finals.
2006 = 3rd place.

Yep.
And we still made it to the semis in 2010 and 2012 and Ballack, as well, wouldn't have been able to overcome the tactical brilliance of Löw during that semifinal against Italy.

Rooney has done hardly anything during international tournaments, Zlatan has been solid, the guy helping Uruguay to the semifinal in 2010 was Forlan and not Suarez and Neymar's done nothing so far, as this is his first world cup.

Yeah, but if we had Neymar we would've made it all of the way to teh semis in 2010 and 2012!...
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#90 » by Point forward » Wed May 28, 2014 7:36 am

Up to now, the German prep has been a complete fiasco.

1) Covering up an anti-fascist banner in a friendly NT match b/c "politics and soccer do not mix" (although the NT "promotes" fair play)
2) Injury problems with Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Lahm
3) Kevin "Kebab man" Großkreutz urinating in a hotel lobby and receiving a 60K fine (from BVB!!)
4) Jogi "high moral standards" Löw losing his driver's license for repeated speeding :noway:
5) A NT commercial shooting ending in a tragedy when a car strikes two spectators :o :crazy: :banghead:

At this rate, we could cause World War III :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Det the Threat » Sun Jun 1, 2014 9:09 pm

Well, that was 90 minutes wasted for nothing.

Way too many turnovers and Özil seems to have kept his Arsenal form for the national team.

I also really hope that if we don't play Klose, that Jogi will play Müller up front. I know some people here say that they change position but that was hardly the case tonight and Müller only played up front once Özil and Götze were gone.

BTW: Let's see who's being cut by Löw.
I think it should be Ginter, Mustafi and one out of Volland/Draxler, but I somehow have a feeling that Kramer won't make it instead of one of those offensive players.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,556

Post#92 » by Foye » Sun Jun 1, 2014 9:15 pm

The false 9 crap with Götze or Özil doesnt work. Get Klose or Müller in there.
JFarfan18
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#93 » by JFarfan18 » Sun Jun 1, 2014 9:33 pm

Det the Threat wrote:BTW: Let's see who's being cut by Löw.
I think it should be Ginter, Mustafi and one out of Volland/Draxler, but I somehow have a feeling that Kramer won't make it instead of one of those offensive players.

I would keep Volland. Really think he's got the skills to be Germany's striker. Jule, Ginter and Mustafi are the ones I would cut.
Foye

Post#94 » by Foye » Sun Jun 1, 2014 9:39 pm

Großkreutz, Mustafi & Volland or Ginter will be cut.

If Klose isn't 100%, Volland will stay.

What I would do is cut Mustafi and one of Ginter/Höwedes & Podolski/Draxler.
Großkreutz for all his flaws is a warrior. You need guys like him if you want to win a battle.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jun 2, 2014 10:35 am

German news outlets are reporting that Mustafi, Volland and Schmelzer will be the final three cuts.

Seems like Löw wouldn't take the risk with Schmelzer's injury and doesn't give a crap about another striker, if those reports are true.
Point forward
Head Coach

Post#96 » by Point forward » Mon Jun 2, 2014 12:05 pm

Mustafi's cut was expected, and Jogi probably prefers to load up on DM (bye Volland, hi Kramer) and preferred a healthy Durm over an unfit Schmelzer. But holy smoke, we are taking exactly *one* CF to Brazil. This is almost like 2004, when Kevin effing Kuranyi was our "best" #9. :o

For better or worse, I expect Reus, Müller and Götze (ugh) at the false 9 position. It would actually work if our D wouldn't suck so much :banghead:
cgf
RealGM

Post#97 » by cgf » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:19 pm

That's the most annoying thing. Playing a 4-3-3-0/4-3-1-2-0 should mean we have a midfield triangle behind reus, Ozil and muller, filling the holes in iur pressing scheme and sheltering the backline. But instead Jogi makes no tactical changes and we play 4-2-3-1 only with a second 10 instead of a striker.

Point forward
Head Coach

Post#98 » by Point forward » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:38 pm

Offical jersey numbers:

GOAL
1 Neuer, 22 Weidenfeller, 12 Zieler

DEFENSE
20 Boateng, 15 Durm, 2 Großkreutz, 4 Höwedes, 5 Hummels, 16 Lahm, 17 Mertesacker, 3 Ginter

MIDFIELD
14 Draxler, 19 Götze, 6 Khedira, 23 Kramer, 18 Kroos, 13 Müller, 8 Özil, 10 Podolski, 21 Reus, 9 Schürrle, 7 Schweinsteiger

STRIKER
11 Klose

Comment: funny / convenient that the two BVB newbies (Durm and Großkreutz) were given the numbers of the BVB greats Stefan Reuter (2) and Jürgen Kohler (15). Hopefully this is an omen :pray:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,377

Post#99 » by ardee » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:38 pm

This is really funny, because people, do you remember Germany in 2010? Suddenly the most exciting team in the world, scoring boatloads of goals, and Low is a genius.

But this...

Draxler would be fourth choice LW behind Reus, Schurrle and Podolski. Yet he was taken instead of VOLLAND, who could arguably be the backup striker.

Insane, this guy is in a world of his own.
Foye

Post#100 » by Foye » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:40 pm

10 years gone - Lahm still has the same babyface. :laugh:

Return to The General Soccer Board