Cristiano to Manchester United
51%

Total votes: 59

Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Re: Bigger surprise? Messi to PSG vs Cristiano returns to Man Utd 

Post#81 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

When I went to sleep last night, Ronaldo was going to Man City. What the heck happened? (serious question to soccer fans)
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#82 » by skones » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm

VeritasTri wrote:
Why am I not surprised that reading comprehension is beyond you.

beep boop

I don't think you know what reading comprehension is.

But, let me put this plainly for you. In considering it "pollution" you are the one with the issue while accusing others of having a problem. It's comically obtuse.
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 568

Post#83 » by ACMFFL » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Jersey Generals wrote:When I went to sleep last night, Ronaldo was going to Man City. What the heck happened? (serious question to soccer fans)

As far as I know Man City wanted Ronaldo for free but Juventus couldn't accept any offer below €20/25 million because it would have created a capital loss.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Schiltzenberger
Junior
And1: 394

Post#84 » by Schiltzenberger » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:
UcanUwill wrote: Its not hard to draw a line here... Ronaldo and Messi are still global phenom athletes signing with some if the biggest sports franchises of all time, I think that can get a pass as OT thread here.

I really dont like when people say where do we draw the line, when most of the time its obvious where to draw it. It is like when Trump used this same excuse when America where taking down slavers confederate generals' statues.

I literally couldnt pick either of them out of a lineup. I honestly have no idea what "PSG" is.

This is a basketball forum. If they are such phenoms and the franchises are so big then theres likely numerous forums devoted to discussing kicking a ball and flopping around, go there and post this.

Many people only post on Real GM, me for example, I appreciated the thread, cause its always nice to see what posters I know think of other sports. I too had no clue who Shohei Ohtani is, but I actually clicked on the thread and learned something about sport I know nothing about and that was cool.
if you cant pick Messi from a line, why did you open this thread, to showoff your ignorance and thats it? Many threads are created here every day that I dont click on, never was that much of inconvenience in life...

The people posting non-basketball topics in a basketball forum are showing their ignorance. As are the people that support it.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#85 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:27 am

Jersey Generals wrote:When I went to sleep last night, Ronaldo was going to Man City. What the heck happened? (serious question to soccer fans)

Sorry, you'll have to go to the soccer forum to find soccer fans.
Noctilux
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,236

Post#86 » by Noctilux » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:42 am

VeritasTri wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:Biggest surprise is having to see soccer garbage on a basketball forum.

soccer > you

Go moderate the Soccer forum and you will never have to see me again.

Sorry if I think your sport is trash (like most legitimate Americans do). Sorry if this hurts your feelings.

I hear horse dewormer makes you :crazy:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#87 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:46 am

Can someone explain how Ronaldo signed a deal in which he makes much less than Chris Paul for example? I'm not versed on Euro soccer contracts and doesn't seem to make much sense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,649

Post#88 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:46 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:Can someone explain how Ronaldo signed a deal in which he makes much less than Chris Paul for example? I'm not versed on Euro soccer contracts and doesn't seem to make much sense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app

He makes up for it with sponsorship money, but a lot of NBA players are overpaid.

He wasn't going to get what he was earning at Juventus, so he had to take a pay-cut.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,150

Post#89 » by Optms » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:Biggest surprise is having to see soccer garbage on a basketball forum.

Here's the attention you ordered douchebag.

He makes a point (not specifically about soccer). Where do we draw the line? Can I make posts about e-sports as well? Maybe some chess threads? The World Series of Poker is coming up soon, we could do a thread for that as well on the Basketball General Board.

Or, we can use the off topic / other sports boards within Realgm...but those won't get you the clicks and attention you want since they're not so frequently visited.

I miss when stuff like this was locked up or moved to the proper sub forums. I'm here for basketball. Not anything else.

Also, this is like the 3rd thread I've seen on here involving Messi and Cristiano and I don't even come on here every day. Smh.
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#90 » by Perseus1966 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:27 am

Shootit wrote:As an outsider to Italian football, why did Cristiano want out of Juventus?

He needs more help and Juve didnt want to spent money.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,451

Post#91 » by azcatz11 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:29 am

Optms wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Here's the attention you ordered douchebag.

He makes a point (not specifically about soccer). Where do we draw the line? Can I make posts about e-sports as well? Maybe some chess threads? The World Series of Poker is coming up soon, we could do a thread for that as well on the Basketball General Board.

Or, we can use the off topic / other sports boards within Realgm...but those won't get you the clicks and attention you want since they're not so frequently visited.

I miss when stuff like this was locked up or moved to the proper sub forums. I'm here for basketball. Not anything else.

Also, this is like the 3rd thread I've seen on here involving Messi and Cristiano and I don't even come on here every day. Smh.

Damn the 3rd thread you've seen? And you don't even come on here everyday? omg :o
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,181

Post#92 » by sca » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:48 am

VeritasTri wrote: Biggest surprise is having to see soccer garbage on a basketball forum.

VeritasTri wrote:Look at the soccer losers seethe.

VeritasTri wrote: Sorry if I think your sport is trash (like most legitimate Americans do).

VeritasTri wrote:Soccer fans sure are sensitive little things

Projecting much, dude?
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,170

Post#93 » by Capn'O » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:19 am

Here's a random thought I had that I wanted to run by futball fans:

Ronaldo Nazario = Shaq
CR = LeBron
Messi = MJ

Discuss. I don't follow the sport a lot but enough to know some stars and how they are regarded. I need things explained in basketball terms to better understand.

azcatz11 wrote:Honestly there is nothing worse than posters trying to mod and dictate what should be posted. Some of us enjoy these OT threads so why ruin it? Don't click the thread if you don't like it.

Indeed. Backseat modding is actually a strikeable offense. As is derailing. Report and move on.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Hroz
Pro Prospect
And1: 468

Post#94 » by Hroz » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:47 am

Once Barcelona couldn't afford Messi

It was obvious PSG would get him.

Man utd is a shock for me. And well played by Ronaldo's agent
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,649

Post#95 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:41 am

Capn'O wrote:Here's a random thought I had that I wanted to run by futball fans:

Ronaldo Nazario = Shaq
CR = LeBron
Messi = MJ

Discuss. I don't follow the sport a lot but enough to know some stars and how they are regarded. I need things explained in basketball terms to better understand.

azcatz11 wrote:Honestly there is nothing worse than posters trying to mod and dictate what should be posted. Some of us enjoy these OT threads so why ruin it? Don't click the thread if you don't like it.

Indeed. Backseat modding is actually a strikeable offense. As is derailing. Report and move on.

The Ronaldo Nazario-Shaq comparison doesn't really fit. Shaq didn't have a problem with injuries and I think overall, he reached his potential. He doesn't have a what-if about him besides maybe, "what if he was more motivated", but that's a personal trait of his. Ronaldo Nazario blew his knee out multiple times. Even though he was still a world class player when he returned, he was no longer El Fenemono(a phenom). If he didn't get injured, he probably would have gone down as one of the 5 best ever players, but we can only ponder about him now.

Both were physical specimens, but Ronaldo Nazario was incredibly skilled. I don't think Shaq(even for a center) was that skilled. It's hard to find an equivalent in basketball terms for Ronaldo Nazario. I don't think there is one. There's no all-time great player that got derailed by an injury.

Personally, I think Messi's personality is more akin to Lebron's and CR7's more-so resembles Jordan's. In terms of skill-set, I find it hard to think of direct comparisons, because of the differences in sport. Messi is essentially one of the best goal-scorers ever, best dribblers ever and best passers ever(especially passes in the final 3rd). It'd be like combining Curry and Magic with a dash of Kyrie into 1 I guess.

I suppose you can compare Ronaldo to MJ because Ronaldo is arguably the best goal-scorer of all time and MJ is the best scorer of all-time, but again, it's difficult. I personally have Messi above Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's drive and determination in football is probably the best I've ever seen. Jordan-like I suppose. I would say it's above Jordan's probably.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,059

Post#96 » by -Luke- » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:18 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:I suppose you can compare Ronaldo to MJ because Ronaldo is arguably the best goal-scorer of all time and MJ is the best scorer of all-time, but again, it's difficult. I personally have Messi above Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's drive and determination in football is probably the best I've ever seen. Jordan-like I suppose. I would say it's above Jordan's probably.

Yes, the CR/MJ comparison is a good one I think. MJ or Kobe. The bolded sentence may sound like blasphemy to many NBA fans, but I don't think it's crazy. MJ probably had a higher competitive peak if that makes sense. He could take it so personally that he would destroy other players. But Ronaldo is more consistent in my opinion. You would probably never see him with a cigar or some booze in his hand. Many people dislike him, but his determination is indisputable.

All in all it's hard for me to make Messi/CR - MJ/LeBron comparisons when it comes to rivalry. Messi and Ronaldo always played against each other during their peaks, for a long time at Barca and Real. MJ and LeBron never played against each other. From a rivalry standpoint it's probably more like Magic/Bird.

Edit:
What I just remembered: There were these stories that the Dream Team in Barcelona had a ping pong table in the hotel and Jordan, when he lost (I think to Laettner) got so into it that he practiced for hours and took it so seriously as if it were the most important thing in his life. If I remember correctly, there is to exact same story about Ronaldo. He lost at table tennis against some teammate, bought a ping pont table and practiced day and night, until no one could beat him anymore. I think Patrice Evra told that story.
SharpyShuffle
Junior
And1: 580

Post#97 » by SharpyShuffle » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:31 pm

I've never heard of any athlete as competitive as MJ, but Ronaldo is a little bit different. Ronaldo is more dedicated to winning, whereas MJ was more dedicated to beating people, if that makes sense.

Like, Ronaldo and Messi apparently get on quite well. Can you imagine MJ, if he had to play for a decade directly against a player who is just *slightly* better than him? He'd loathe that guy, whoever he was. Ronaldo did everything he could to beat Barca, but it never really seemed personal.

Or just look at Ronaldo now, trying to eke out one last set of titles. It seems like he doesn't really mind where, he just wants to keep winning, have 1 (or 2, or 3...) last chance at a major league title + CL. He must know he won't be The Man anymore in Manchester, that he'll have to defer to the likes of Bruno and Sancho as the main attacking threats. He may not even get to take penalties. Whereas MJ would never settle for second-best on his own team, even after his second retirement. I can see Ronaldo even taking a bench role in a year or two, which would be unthinkable for MJ.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,045

Post#98 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:51 pm

sca wrote:
VeritasTri wrote: Biggest surprise is having to see soccer garbage on a basketball forum.

VeritasTri wrote:Look at the soccer losers seethe.

VeritasTri wrote: Sorry if I think your sport is trash (like most legitimate Americans do).

VeritasTri wrote:Soccer fans sure are sensitive little things

Projecting much, dude?

“Legitimate Americans” hahahaha
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#99 » by _qubik » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:02 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Basketball terms: Durant signs with Celtics, LeBron signs with Cavs.

Durant is CR7 ? Because Man U is huge, a storied team with lots of glory

PSG is a small team with lots of money
Noodlesoop
Senior
And1: 561

Post#100 » by Noodlesoop » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:18 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Basketball terms: Durant signs with Celtics, LeBron signs with Cavs.

No, it’s more like Durant signing with the Nets, a team with little history of elite success (Champs league/NBA title) whose owners are very wealthy and are trying to buy titles.

Return to The General Soccer Board