Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,497

Re: Official Team USA Thread 

Post#1321 » by Bernman » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:33 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:Your USAvVIN World Cup Qualifier Roster

GK: Guzan, Hamid, Howard.

DF: Alvarado, Besler, Cameron, Johnson, Miazga, Orozco, Ream, Shea

MF: Beckerman, Bradley, Diskerud, Jones, Nagbe, Yedlin.

FW: Altidore, Gordon, Morris, Wood, Zardes

Dont need Orozco, Ream, Beckerman, Jones, Gordon
thats at least 5 guys where there are equal or better options available

Alvarado, Shea, Altidore.
some people like, some dont.
Shea and Altidore have definitely had their moments
Shea is good as a late game sub
i think we can completely move away from Altidore
Alvarado, is barely average, but i can see some potential.
my biggest issue with adding him, instead of a big CB with close or equal foot skills, is we lose out on a big body crashing the box on corners and free kicks.
we are a very poor team in the air.

It's straight cray we'd be poor in the air and at CB when we have the CB pool we do, and that's a traditional area of strength. We could use Agudelo at fw more who is solid in the air these days, or better yet blood Maars. He's 6'5", a big target for his club team, and has good foot skills, speed, and tenacity to boot. Earlier this year scored a hat trick (drew penalty on a 4th) against Ludogorets who was decent in the Championship last season. Today he had 3 goals contributed to (1 scored, 2 assisted) against a mid table Bulgarian team. It would take some actual imagination by Jurgen though. There's a special circumstance why Maars ended up where he did. His old club screwed him over because they were in financial trouble.

In general we've sucked on set pieces lately. Klinsmann had Dempsey taking them around the box, Bradley in general, and Jones as the backup for both. Those are terrible options. Jurgen doesn't really pay attention to that detail. At least we have Nagbe now. Have to use him.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1322 » by Bernman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Grant Wahl is reporting that "informed" sources claim Klinsmann is out without 6 points in the upcoming qualifiers. Without hearing this first, I was hoping for a big St. Vincent win and T&T loss. Now I'll go for draw vs. T&T while looking really bad in the process (ala vs. Haiti, Panama, Honduras). That would solidify his dismissal, while we'd effectively be totally fine for qualifying. If this report is true, I like that they're not allowing this to get deep into qualifying to where it could actually cost us a spot. That would be an exponentially bigger cost financially or otherwise than Klinsmann's buyout I'm sure.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#1323 » by PANDEMONEUM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:42 pm

id like to know who is on the short list, to replace him if needed.
we are half, stuck with him

whatever new coach we get,
will run into the same issues as JK
the quality of players is just not there
now, maybe the new HC wont talk about the players in the media
stop bringing Wondo, Chandler and the "old" guys
but i dont see the quality of the team really improving

if im portland and ny red bulls,
im very upset about Nagbe and Miazga getting call ups right now
theyr trying to win a championship
last thing they need is a starter getting injured

that said, id love to see

zardes -- morris -- yedlin
.....nagbe --- bradley
.........cameron
shea - besl - miaz - fab
..........guzan
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1324 » by Bernman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm

An experienced Bruce Arena to handle the abbreviated cycle.

I do see a big perceptional shift in the amount of talent in the pool after 6-12 months under the direction of Arena. He has proven he does know how to tap MLS, which is where a high majority of our talent resides now with the tremendous improvement of that league and Jurgen's ironic neglecting of the youngish standout there. As a bonus, Arena would have more dual nationals cap-tied than in all past cycles. He could then discard all of those who've not proven beneficial, and use the rest to supplement the core, whereas for Jurgen they are basically part of his core. Players like Fabian should just help us at weak spots like LB. And unlike Jurgen, who likes putting players in position of discomfort, Arena prefers them in places of discomfort to get the most out of them. I think that will especially help with Bradley, who was arguably the best player in the region for a while, then he started getting played at a-mid. Put him as a #8 and you see him break up attacks and start ones of his own. I think that's the best role for Nagbe too. Lletget as a 10. Cameron as a 6.

This is a challenge I'd hypothetically want. I think the position right now sets you up to succeed if you have a decent knowledge of the pool, dynamics, and tactics. This is what I'd go with at least thru the Centenario.

-------------Dempsey------Morris----------
----------------------Lletget------------------
--------------Bradley-------Nagbe----------
---------------------Cameron-----------------
--Johnson--------------------------Lichaj--
-----------------Besler--Miazga-------------
---------------------Hamid--------------------

subs - Yedlin, Maars, Brooks, Hedges, Finlay, Zardes, Agudelo, Powers, Feilhaber, Salinas/Shea/Rogers, Guzan, Horvath/Gonzalez

I don't see the holes that use to be there to justify starting Findley, Bornstein, and Clark. Considerably more depth now, and I think Lletget, Nagbe, Bradley in the right position, can be difference makers in the midfield. Can they be prime Dempsey and Donovan? I don't know. But we won't get broken down like we did by Bornstein, Clark, and Findley either. Guys keep the machine moving, like Austria.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 pm

MLS' Best XI came out today. 5 Americans on it. Klinsmann effectively calls up none of them.

Matt Hedges
Benny Feilhaber
Dax McCarty
Ethan Finlay
Luis Robles

Gyasi Zardes isn't in the top 50 American eligibles in MLS. He's gotten 20 caps this year and is hailed the big success for integration by Klinsmann in this period.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#1326 » by BUCKnation » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:04 am

Dax McCarty has always been up there in the MLS ranks for years, no idea if he is on the international level as I don't watch MLS much, but I'm surprised I've never seen him as a call up.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1327 » by and1GS » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:59 am

Bernman wrote:MLS' Best XI came out today. 5 Americans on it. Klinsmann effectively calls up none of them.

Matt Hedges
Benny Feilhaber
Dax McCarty
Ethan Finlay
Luis Robles

Gyasi Zardes isn't in the top 50 American eligibles in MLS. He's gotten 20 caps this year and is hailed the big success for integration by Klinsmann in this period.

Are you saying Gyasi hasn't been a success, that all of those guys deserve call-ups over him or that Klinnsman just sucks at identifying MLS talent? Or all of the above?

I somewhat agree with the last bit - but I think Zardes has been quite good for us and looks like a building block for the future.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1328 » by Bernman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:37 pm

and1GS wrote:Are you saying Gyasi hasn't been a success, that all of those guys deserve call-ups over him or that Klinnsman just sucks at identifying MLS talent? Or all of the above?

I somewhat agree with the last bit - but I think Zardes has been quite good for us and looks like a building block for the future.

I wouldn't go so far to say that he sucks. He has solid size, speed, a good work-rate, and a nose for the ball. But his ball skills are shaky to say the least and he's ponderous on the ball.

I'd classify him as a minor success. He's a possible legit inclusion to the Russian roster. But I'm not confident, if the pool were fully mined, that he would still deserve to be there. He could be made obsolete by the likes of Nagbe, Manneh, Finlay, Gyau, Johnsen, Agudelo, Salinas, Morris, Bedoya, etc. Yet he's being sold as the big gem for Klinsmann in terms of mining since the World Cup almost a year and a half ago.

Yeah, Klinsmann next level sucks at making use of the pool, and Zardes, and Wood for that matter, being his supposed biggest successes, the last year and a half, displays that well. And it really bothers me when the players as a whole get thrown under the bus for it and the Eurosnobs in our media act like they are the problem not the European coach. The players are the problem when it comes to anything but contending for a World Cup or other major title. They aren't the problem when it comes to results like getting out-shot 21-6 on their own home soil by Haiti. That's obviously on the incompetent boob picking the players, deploying them, and strategizing tactics.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1329 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Will USA go big name or the small name approach?

Hell imagine they try to bring on Herrea LOL
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1330 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 1, 2015 12:41 am

Bernman wrote:
and1GS wrote:Are you saying Gyasi hasn't been a success, that all of those guys deserve call-ups over him or that Klinnsman just sucks at identifying MLS talent? Or all of the above?

I wouldn't go so far to say that he sucks. He has solid size, speed, a good work-rate, and a nose for the ball. But his ball skills are shaky to say the least and he's ponderous on the ball.

I'd classify him as a minor success. He's a possible legit inclusion to the Russian roster. But I'm not confident, if the pool were fully mined, that he would still deserve to be there. He could be made obsolete by the likes of Nagbe, Manneh, Finlay, Gyau, Johnsen, Agudelo, Salinas, Morris, Bedoya, etc. Yet he's being sold as the big gem for Klinsmann in terms of mining since the World Cup almost a year and a half ago.

Yeah, Klinsmann next level sucks at making use of the pool, and Zardes, and Wood for that matter, being his supposed biggest successes, the last year and a half, displays that well. And it really bothers me when the players as a whole get thrown under the bus for it and the Eurosnobs in our media act like they are the problem not the European coach. The players are the problem when it comes to anything but contending for a World Cup or other major title. They aren't the problem when it comes to results like getting out-shot 21-6 on their own home soil by Haiti. That's obviously on the incompetent boob picking the players, deploying them, and strategizing tactics.

Fair point that he hasn't had many 'good finds' in the past year or so. Wood is ok - I think I just like him in comparison to the crap we normally have up top. Though I do rate Zardes highly, probably even with Nagbe. Both electrifying players that can be erratic and struggle with the final ball at times. Excited that we have Nagbe now - I really hope Gyau steps it up and stays healthy. He was showing so much confidence when I last saw him, his shots were just barely off frame.

I think the youth gives a lot to be optimistic about, but the transition to them needs to happen sooner not later. If we keep eschewing the Miazgas for the Orozcos due to familiarity and cap totals, we're in big trouble come World Cup time.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1331 » by Bernman » Tue Dec 1, 2015 1:50 am

Yes, it's the limited initial tries AND when they actually get 1 or 2 he cycles back to the same ol' names because he thinks it increases his chances of getting wins in the here and now to stay afloat as coach. Namely, seriously borderline, and old, or soon to be, Mexican and German Americans.

TBH, Orozco has been better than I thought he'd be for the national team after being seriously pedestrian in MLS b4 heading off to Liga MX, but he's just passable for the U.S. and has zero upside. Corona, Garza, Ibarra, and Alvarado don't really even play in MX and haven't done anything for the national team.

As for the Germans, I think if Klinsmann remained coach forever, Jones would play until he needed a walker. Chandler loafs. Brooks has potential, but he's had plenty of chances, and has way too many mental lapses. Should be u-23 for the time being. Morales has failed to impress in enough tries. So has Danny Williams.

Just not much mileage from these routes right now other than Fabian Johnson.

Then there's the non dual nationals like Wondo, Beckerman, Gordon, Beasley, and Howard. With Beckerman he alluded to still viewing him as a key player recently.

But then he moves on early from Donovan, Dempsey, and Boca. I guess the lesson is don't be too good for too long w/ the U.S. Better to have never been good or fallen off a while ago.

I don't think he'll ever change/transition truly. It's tough with 2nd cycle coaches and he's more obstinate/egotistical than just about anybody. We'll just get morsels and then propaganda from him and U.S. soccer that they are full meals.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1332 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 2, 2015 7:17 pm

Got it - I think we actually agree on the core philosophy here ha.

I have noticed that he'll call up some exciting young name for maybe 1-2 caps, then revert back to Jermaine Jones and other ultra senior players almost immediately. I wouldn't be as annoyed at this if we a) got results and b) were sure these guys would be massive, healthy, fit players by the next WC. We barely squeak by on the first lately, but I'm absolutely not convinced that we can trot Dempsey out for 90 minutes at the next WC nor should we be starting Beckerman/Jones at that point.

Again, to your point, it's clearly become a comfort thing. I think Klinnsman knows he should be going all in on youth at the senior level - but he's afraid we'll lose to a T&T or Guatemala and have to suffer the media backlash. I want to see guys like Hyndman and Nagbe over players like Corona and Bedoya (the latter of which i feel has become the ultimate 'well, at least i KNOW what I'm getting out of him' selection).

It bugs me that we have such an athletic country with a speedy selection pool to choose from, but we still trot out a very senior team.

Curious - what do you do with Yedlin/Johnson? I think that's a great outside back pairing, but the latter wants to play mid for club and country while the former plays mid for country, but would rather play RB and does so for club.

Bernman
RealGM

Post#1333 » by Bernman » Wed Dec 2, 2015 10:23 pm

What to do with Johnson because of being on fire in Germany is kind of a good problem to have. Our issues with not just plopping him in at LW straight away are we don't have any other established LB options and our possession game is weak so he can't get near goal much and be found to maximize his effectiveness at the position. So to solve that right now we should be trying out better possession players to surround him with and a plethora of LB alternatives. Nagbe is a start on the possession front. Need to see Lletget in there too and as a CAM, Johnsen/Agudelo up top, Trapp, etc. now. As for LB options, would like to see legit tryouts for Salinas, Villafana, Acosta, Hollingshead, Rogers, Tierney, etc. Then you may well be able to get Johnson into enough of a possession game at attacking LW for him to do considerable damage. Otherwise, replacement for Dempsey is a possibility. Then, even in a counter-attacking game, he could be near enough to goal and committed to attack.

As for Yedlin, I think he's typically a sub for the U.S. unless maybe we play a 3-5-2. Then he could heavily depend on speed, crossing, and hustles on recoveries. Otherwise he has significant problems right now w/ defensive awareness and losing the ball in traffic. And he's not creative enough to be a midfielder unless the U.S. is sitting really deep and he can still play in a lot of space and cross. Otherwise he's gotta cut in, use his left foot, and that's where attacks often die with him. I think I'd typically start Lichaj, who is a better defender, with a better touch, and more 2-footed. If you're playing a possession game against a clearly inferior side, you could do worse than Evans, who is tidy and defensively responsible. By 2018, Acosta may be that dude. Pretty quick, defensively aware, 2-footed, and shows how well he can cross on set pieces. Really impressed in the playoffs for FCD, albeit as a defensive mid.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1334 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 2, 2015 10:35 pm

Really liked Acosta in the U20 WC.

Forget about Bedoya GS. My friends and I have a running joke that he is so average and forgettable we just assume he didn't even play in the WC.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1335 » by Bernman » Thu Dec 3, 2015 12:48 am

That's like half of the players Jurgen selects. Likes the Americans who chase the game for 90 minutes. Shows their commitment to him and the team, nevermind skill and creativity. He'll try to blindly employ a few Germexicans for that, and hope it adds up.

When he was in an advisory role for Toronto, he told them to hire Aron Winter because he's Dutch, even though he had proven next to nothing, and he went on to bomb and get fired. Then soon after being hired by the U.S., he appointed Martin Vasquez as his main assistant, even though he bombed w/ Chivas U.S.A. Too Mexican to pass up I guess.

He's just a very small-minded guy. I'd prefer that he evaluate individually with no biases attached, but if he cared about nationalities, you'd think he'd have a preference toward Americans if anything as the U.S. national team coach. More theoretical upside because they're not being rejected by another country, built-in affinity for the shirt, and it's by far the biggest portion of the pool.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1336 » by and1GS » Sat Dec 5, 2015 12:36 am

BUCKnation wrote:Really liked Acosta in the U20 WC.

Forget about Bedoya GS. My friends and I have a running joke that he is so average and forgettable we just assume he didn't even play in the WC.

HA. I feel the same way. After every game he plays I'm amazed that i didn't notice him for a full 90. He adds next to nothing, but is an extremely low risk player. Always surprised he plays as much as he does.

BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1337 » by BUCKnation » Sat Dec 5, 2015 12:45 am

and1GS wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Really liked Acosta in the U20 WC.

HA. I feel the same way. After every game he plays I'm amazed that i didn't notice him for a full 90. He adds next to nothing, but is an extremely low risk player. Always surprised he plays as much as he does.

Does enough to hate him, but not enough to notice him.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Bernman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:07 am

Jones was suspended 6 games, which carries over to national team play. So he'll be ineligible for Camp Cupcake, and maybe the qualifiers. Depends where he decides to ply his trade next club-wise.

Speaking of Camp Cupcake, USS finally announced it will be taking place at the end of January to beginning of February. The opponents will be Iceland and Canada.

It's been reported the camp will be heavily vet and u-23 laden. Trying to kill off MLS as the route for collegiates and the pool in general. Really doubling down here, as giving them January camp for prospective debutantes wasn't enough. I'm going to lose it if I don't at least see Lletget on the roster.

Add Tony Kroos to the long list of current and former players who've ripped Klinsmann for his tactics and man management. Also made a point to say he doesn't deserve much credit at all for the German revolution. Had nice things to say about all his other managers.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#1339 » by PANDEMONEUM » Tue Jan 5, 2016 9:09 pm

2 friendlies coming up

usa vs iceland
1/31/2016
2:45 CT
espn2
stubhub center, carson

usa vs canada
2/5/2016
9:15 CT
stubhub center, carson

then these 2, for real games, CONCACAF
then 3/25 and 3/29 back to back vs Guatemala
2nd match in Columbus OH

3 games in june for COPA

then back to CONCACAF in september
saint vincent/grenadines and trinidad/tobago

9 games set up for 2016
i hope they add 3 more friendlies, making it 12
and thats alot of games to watch and enjoy
and plenty of time for JK to find some gems
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#1340 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jan 6, 2016 2:30 pm

The US national team won’t announce the roster for their upcoming winter camp until later this week, but it appears that several veterans won’t be included.

According to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl, Clint Dempsey, Nick Rimando, Graham Zusi, Kyle Beckerman, Brad Evans, Chris Wondolowski and Omar Gonzalez all will not be in camp when it opens Monday due to a variety of factors.

But those omissions will open the door for other players to get back into the picture, including Luis Robles, the New York Red Bulls goalkeeper whose only USMNT cap came in 2009.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/05/report-several-usmnt-mainstays-miss-winter-camp-luis-robles-gets-call

Return to The General Soccer Board