LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: The Official Major League Soccer Thread 

Post#1561 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:44 am

Queequeg wrote:
edfmx86 wrote:
AlexDelta wrote:I'm really not a fan of MLS teams picking up European-style names. It's the same with european teams in Hockey or Basketball "americanizing" their names, just sounds wrong to me.

Thats why I like Columbus going with SC instead of FC. We play soccer here dammit :lol:

I wasn't a fan of the Real Salt Lake name at first, for obvious reasons of course. After thinking about it, for a state that has had its only pro team named the Jazz without having any ties to the music style, Real Salt Lake seemed proper. People say we need to rebrand, but I think we're past that point here, too much history tied to the name in its short, ten year life.

100% agree! I don't like the fc stuff if we are not going to call it football in this country. You can't be major league SOCCER and have a bunch of FOOTBALL clubs. And I'm a Red Bulls fan and I'm getting a jump on my hated of NYCFC.

SC makes more sense when playing in MLS, but with teams involved in CONCACAF Champions League FC is more suitable in my opinion.

Going with Football Club makes people remember that this is the world's game and MLS teams have a very good chance to play all over it.
AlexDelta
Senior
And1: 254

Post#1562 » by AlexDelta » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:04 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
edfmx86 wrote:
Thats why I like Columbus going with SC instead of FC. We play soccer here dammit :lol:

I wasn't a fan of the Real Salt Lake name at first, for obvious reasons of course. After thinking about it, for a state that has had its only pro team named the Jazz without having any ties to the music style, Real Salt Lake seemed proper. People say we need to rebrand, but I think we're past that point here, too much history tied to the name in its short, ten year life.

100% agree! I don't like the fc stuff if we are not going to call it football in this country. You can't be major league SOCCER and have a bunch of FOOTBALL clubs. And I'm a Red Bulls fan and I'm getting a jump on my hated of NYCFC.

SC makes more sense when playing in MLS, but with teams involved in CONCACAF Champions League FC is more suitable in my opinion.

Going with Football Club makes people remember that this is the world's game and MLS teams have a very good chance to play all over it.

Well soccer is still short for "association football", never really understood the argument of favoring football over soccer. Didn't Brits also call it soccer occasionally until like the 70's or 80's?
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#1563 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:04 am

edfmx86 wrote:Anyone catch Don Garber's presser earlier today? Really went hard at Jurgen for his Michael Bradley/MLS comments.

I kind of agree with Jurgen. I don't like the idea of top USNT guys like Dempsey and Bradley leaving top European leagues for MLS. I don't think it helps them get better because MLS is still too far behind the elite European leagues.

Although, I do like that all the 2nd tier South American players are coming up here and increasing the quality of the league.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1564 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:19 am

kdawg32086 wrote:
edfmx86 wrote:Anyone catch Don Garber's presser earlier today? Really went hard at Jurgen for his Michael Bradley/MLS comments.

I kind of agree with Jurgen. I don't like the idea of top USNT guys like Dempsey and Bradley leaving top European leagues for MLS. I don't think it helps them get better because MLS is still too far behind the elite European leagues.

Although, I do like that all the 2nd tier South American players are coming up here and increasing the quality of the league.

Bradley was the 4th option on his team and wasn't going to get any playing time this season. His move to me made sense, not so much for Dempsey who was still getting regular playing time.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1565 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:21 am

AlexDelta wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:
Queequeg wrote:

Well soccer is still short for "association football", never really understood the argument of favoring football over soccer. Didn't Brits also call it soccer occasionally until like the 70's or 80's?

I wouldn't say I favour one over the other, but it makes the most sense to call it what the rest of the planet does.
AlexDelta
Senior
And1: 254

Post#1566 » by AlexDelta » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:04 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
AlexDelta wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

I wouldn't say I favour one over the other, but it makes the most sense to call it what the rest of the planet does.

Like calcio?
It's just that there already is another sport called football in the US, which actually is just a variation of a variation of the original game of football, that didn't have a standard set of rules back then.
I think soccer is actually more likely to be the original term to avoid confusion between soccer football and rugby/rugger football.
Just happened that soccer became the most prominent rule variation in most parts of the world, so it became football to them.
Queequeg
Junior
And1: 335

Post#1567 » by Queequeg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:00 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
AlexDelta wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

I completely agree. Which is why I never liked the name MLS, it makes it seem like a second rate league just by the idea of calling it soccer as opposed to football. But we've had this conversations before and I'm not creative enough to come up with a better league name.

The CONCACAF argument makes sense, but if you're going to be in the MLS, then you should embrace the idea of calling it soccer and support your league's identity.
"I'd rather be working for a paycheck than waiting to win the lottery"

-Conner Oberst
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1568 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Woohoo Thank You SJ! They gave us a chance by drawing with the Whitecaps.

We need to get points next weekend in Dallas to put the pressure on. A win in Dallas and Vancouver can only finish ahead of us with a win at home against Colorado. A tie and they have to at least draw with the Rapids because we have the tiebreaker.

Lets go. RCTID! Onward Rose City!
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#1569 » by edfmx86 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 am

Hoping LA gets a result so this accidental 2-leg Supporter Shield series doesnt end tonight. Also hoping LA wins the shield next week.

This is pretty exciting, if you ask me :D
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1570 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 am

Go Seattle! Beat LA into a pulp!

Edit: sup with the image quality? Is that smoke? LA smog lol? "LD" cut in center pitch, nice touch
YOU LOSE
truth18
RealGM

Post#1571 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 am

Wow, Gonzalez with the second yellow. Out until the playoffs now. Huge mistake tackling there
YOU LOSE
truth18
RealGM

Post#1572 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 am

LA ultras chanting: "You suck, Clint Dempsey".

Stay classy.
YOU LOSE
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1573 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Seattle just won their first ever Supporters Shield.

Joined the league after TFC... Yeah, I'm bitter.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1574 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 am

And the Timbers knock off FC Dallas tonight 2-0. We have a chance at the playoffs. Anything but a Whitecaps victory over Colorado and we're in!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1575 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 am

kdawg32086 wrote:And the Timbers knock off FC Dallas tonight 2-0. We have a chance at the playoffs. Anything but a Whitecaps victory over Colorado and we're in!

Not looking good.

Vancouver up 1-0 with 10 minutes to go.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1576 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:18 am

And...The good guys are out and the bad guys are in. Damn Colorado Rapids...
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#1577 » by edfmx86 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:37 am

I am so happy Portland got the result to put RSL in third. LA is going to be tough, but I'm feeling good about the matchup. Schuler has been cleared to play in the post season which is fantastic news. Here's to another run at an MLS cup, brothers!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1578 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:41 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SNGerryDobson/status/526789926147596288[/tweet]

The West is going to be so tough to win next season.

Chivas is out, L.A. will relaunch a new team in 2017. That's a long wait for them, which will only make the Galaxy stronger in that market.

I think adding a second team in L.A. is a mistake.

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1579 » by kdawg32086 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 am

If they're gonna place another team in So Cal, it needs to be in San Diego or Orange County.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1580 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:If they're gonna place another team in So Cal, it needs to be in San Diego or Orange County.

Sacramento is clearly ready, but MLS looks like they are set on L.A.

In other news, MLS broke their attendance record.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeWoitalla/status/527100751261093889[/tweet]

Return to Major League Soccer