Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#221 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 am

Andros Townsend...does he have what it takes to cut it in the EPL? Fast and left footed with nice technique, but rough around the edges. He could be anything from a poor man's Walcott to a possible Bale replacement, really not sure what to make of him.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#222 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 am

If we had held on against Everton, we would be in a fantastic position right now. We have a really soft run of fixtures coming up and would be in 3rd with 32 points, despite playing some pretty uninspired football and battling injuries all season.

Upcoming fixtures are:

Stoke (H)
Aston Villa (A)
Sunderland (A)
Reading (H)
QPR (A)

I reckon we can get at least 11 points out of these 5 fixtures, with Benny returning and hopefully Bale coming back soon too. That would set us up for a great game against Man Utd in mid January. Then again last time I said something like this we ended up losing about 4 games in a row so maybe I should just stop typing now.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#223 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Villa is on a real run of form, Sunderland is always a tough opponent and QPR has Taarabt. There are possibilities something bad could happen, but we should win all these fixtures, and really need to if we want to seriously contend for a CL spot. We need that spot if we a) want to retain Bale and b) want to attract Bale-esque talent. It wasn't that long ago Hazard was considering Chelsea or Tottenham for his landing spot based on a CL birth.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:50 am

I'm confident that we can continue to attract high caliber players regardless. If Bale really wants to move on, then I don't think there's anything we will be able to do to stop him, CL berth or not. I'm sure that the club will be able to come up with an amicable fee in that event, and we'd be able to bring in more quality to fill the void. Yes, to get the elite prospects such as Hazard, Gotze, Neymar and so forth you're going to need a Champions League place (and a whole buttload of money), but I feel like it's generally an overrated aspect of transfers.

Even without a CL berth, we were still able to clinch the transfers of the likes of Hugo Lloris, arguably one of the best goalkeepers in the world on his day and France national squad captain, Vertonghen and Dembele, and we both know what quality players those two are. Short of Porto moving the goalposts at the last minute, we were also very close to clinching Joao Moutinho. Now that I think about it, we also got Modric back when our team was hopeless mid-table fodder under Juande Ramos. Things are better now for Spurs than they've been since the early 80s when we won the UEFA cup and back-to-back FA Cups under Keith Burkinshaw.

I feel like it's more important that we really put in a strong showing in the Europa League and FA Cup this season and push to get some trophies under out belt. Winning those would be a nice boost to our already very good reputation.

Speaking of which, the former's draw is later on today... here's the teams we can face in the next phase:

Code: Select all

Viktoria Plzen, Fenerbahce, Bordeaux, Steaua Bucharest, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Genk, Rubin Kazan, Olympique Lyonnais, Mentalist Kharkiv, Hannover 96, CFR Cluj, Olympiacos, Benfica.

Not a bad bunch, given that the likes of Inter, Atletico and Napoli are also all still in the competition but finished second in their groups. Lyon are the toughest team we could be drawn against in my opinion; they're currently in a three-way tie for first place in Ligue 1 with PSG and Marseille.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#225 » by and1GS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Well we got Lyon, then Inter net round if we win. That's about as tough a draw as you can get. I know Lyon has quality but I haven't followed them much in a while, I know Gomis/Bastos have matured quite a bit. How's their defense look? I think the way we can win these matches is by shooting Defoe and Bale or Lennon up the middle on fast breaks or letting our wingers use our pace on the outside.

ANd how about Lennon's health this season? I'm sure I just jinxed it but I've been reminded why he's been such an integral piece to our team for years.

Good point on the transfers, we don't make the transfer splash a Chelsea would but we've signed some strong players. I believe Vertonghen is one of the best CBs in the EPL (let's try and play him there!) and Dembele is one of the best CDM/CAM hybrid players I've had a chance to see this season. Definitely happy with our transfers, no way we could plan for the CB injuries.

and1GS
RealGM

Post#226 » by and1GS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:36 pm

If we can land Eriksen in the transfer window that would be huge. I like him more than WIllian and he has future star written all over him.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 am

Not happy about the draw at all. But it could be worse, look at who Arsenal and Man Utd have been drawn against in the CL.

Lyon are a strong side; they're good going forward (scored the 2nd most goals in Ligue 1 this season), and solid defensively (4th fewest goals conceded). Looking down their squad it's clear to see that they're packed with creative players and attacking talent. Most dangerous is obviously Gomis, who's pretty much on fire this season, but even then they've got other strikers like Lisandro Lopez and Lacazette who can score at any given time. Gonalons is also a quality player in their midfield setup. By the time we play them in mid February, we'll hopefully be running with our best back 4 of Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Assou Ekotto.

I like Eriksen. I'm not sure how well he will immediately translate to the EPL, but the guy has got huge potential and would see plenty of playing time at the Lane. He's the kind of player who is the perfect target for someone in our position: buy players with high potential and groom them into stars.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#228 » by and1GS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:45 pm

We've been lacking in middle of the pitch creativity so I think he could really excel in a Modric role for us. However, FWIW, that lack of creativity in the midfield has hardly hurt us. Sandro/Dembele is a suffocating tandem for any opposition to deal with, but the jury is still out on how effective the Defoe/Ade pairing is, maybe Eriksen comes in and plays the VDV role for a while supporting the striker?

IDK, he's still a bit of a pipedream.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 am

Didn't catch the Stoke game, but from everything I read Stoke were as impenetrable as usual. Apparently we didn't play too badly. Disappointed that we missed our chance to go into 3rd place; instead we're tied with West Brom, Everton and the Gooners, and Chelsea are looming with two games in hand.

In more exciting news, we're apparently in for Montpellier's Younes Belhanda for 10m. I have to say he is way more enticing than Eriksen and Willian... as good as they are, this guy is absolute dynamite. Pretty much carried Montpellier to the Ligue 1 title last season and has already gotten 8 goals from midfield this season, plus his footwork is incredible. Could provide the creative force we need in midfield, not to mention another goalscorer.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#230 » by and1GS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Hmm never heard of him, I'll hit youtube and check him out.

And ya, the Stoke match was pretty much what you can expect when playing Stoke. They were very physical, tactically disciplined and only really had chances off of our stupidity (Walker passed it across the mouth of the goal to kenwyne within the first minute) or corners/long throws.

They're not exactly a dirty side, but they're absurdly physical at times. Always a tough fixture to get 3 points from. I'm excited to get Ekotto back, Vertonghen in the middle would really solidify our back line.

and1GS
RealGM

Post#231 » by and1GS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Wow, what touch and vision on Belhanda. He reminds me of what Taarabt would/should be if he wasn't a total turd.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 am

Speaking of Taarabt... saw this in the transfer thread: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml

What a douche. :lol:
and1GS
RealGM

Post#233 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:11 pm

So...Reading kinda sucks. Something like 32 shots to their 7? Yeesh. Thank god bale was missing that match.

And yes, I read that, Taarabt is a real wanker. I want to like him because he's obviously very talented but he ruins everything he has going for him with his terrible arrogance. He needs to be in a system where the coach forces him to grow (that's what QPR's original manager was doing, forgot his name), but he's an insufferable idiot more foten than not.

AC a stepping stone to Real? Nice, I'm sure they'd love to sign you now. How about you leave QPR and use Norwich as a stepping stone to Fulham before you even consider AC...

and1GS
RealGM

Post#234 » by and1GS » Wed Jan 2, 2013 10:14 pm

Gareth really is getting an awful rap for diving, though I rarely recall him taking a dive, and I have seen every Bale match this season league or otherwise. That yellow was bad, I understand he needs to call something, but just let it go and warn Gareth at least.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by Baphomet » Thu Jan 3, 2013 2:08 am

The Bale issue is really being done to death. He just needs to put the suspension behind him and get on with his football, he's in such good form right now and I hope the current acrimony surrounding his reputation won't cause that good form to drop.

Baphomet wrote:Stoke (H) (1-1)
Aston Villa (A) (0-4)
Sunderland (A) (1-2)
Reading (H) (3-1)
QPR (A)

My prediction of 11 points out of these 5 games might have not have been generous enough... we currently have 10 points, and if we can win against QPR on the 14th we'll have 13/15 points over the notoriously difficult christmas period. Sure, the fixtures have been a bit smoother than most, but Liverpool lost at home to Villa, City lost to Sunderland and Chelsea lost to QPR all over the same period. Here's hoping that we don't do what we did last season and start dropping points needlessly.

Thoughts on our upcoming January window? We've been linked with a lot of players, particularly creative midfield types: Eriksen, Sneijder, Moutinho, Belhanda and Willian seem to be the main focus. I strongly doubt we'll sign any of these players because their clubs clearly need them and are unlikely to offload them in January, with the exception of Sneijder, who seems desperate to leave Inter.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#236 » by and1GS » Thu Jan 3, 2013 10:12 pm

Unless Sneijder takes a massive wage cut I doubt he comes here, but I'd ideally like to have him here. We've been rumored in for Zaha which I think would be a welcome addition, as he's basically a further along Townsend. I think we need a defender, winger, and striker for depth purposes but I really am not sure where we'll find quality at those places for a non-premium price. I would really like Eriksen or Belhanda as we are still lacking in midfield creativity, but Moutinho might be a bit expensive. Not hopeful for a striker acquisition unless it's another Saha situation.

Is the Rose loan season long? not that it will matter much when BAE gets back, but god that defense looks awful without something solid on the left (though Naughton's deficiencies are often masked by Bale going forward).

The Loftus Road fixture will be big, but I think QPR really sucks and caught Chelsea sleeping while trying to play their second team.

I'm dreading the late season push. We crumbled under Redknapp but hopefully AVB can keep the focus going late.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#237 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:30 am

and1GS wrote:Unless Sneijder takes a massive wage cut I doubt he comes here, but I'd ideally like to have him here. We've been rumored in for Zaha which I think would be a welcome addition, as he's basically a further along Townsend. I think we need a defender, winger, and striker for depth purposes but I really am not sure where we'll find quality at those places for a non-premium price. I would really like Eriksen or Belhanda as we are still lacking in midfield creativity, but Moutinho might be a bit expensive. Not hopeful for a striker acquisition unless it's another Saha situation.

Is the Rose loan season long? not that it will matter much when BAE gets back, but god that defense looks awful without something solid on the left (though Naughton's deficiencies are often masked by Bale going forward).

The Loftus Road fixture will be big, but I think QPR really sucks and caught Chelsea sleeping while trying to play their second team.

I'm dreading the late season push. We crumbled under Redknapp but hopefully AVB can keep the focus going late.

I will be disappointed if we don't get all 3 points against QPR, but their morale is going to be strong coming off that Chelsea victory. Bale's suspension was just one game right? I don't think QPR's dreadful defence will be able to deal with our attacking force at full strength. Who knows, though, we have had some trouble unlocking some defences this season.

We collapsed under Redknapp partly because of complacency, but also because of the speculation surrounding Redknapp's future at the club. I feel like Redknapp's not-so-subtle pining for the England job served as a huge distraction and detriment to the team's morale, and we collapsed. Valid, that's no excuse for dropping points against the likes of Wolves and Aston Villa, but I feel like it played a part.

We've signed 20 year old ex-Man Utd defender Ezekiel Fryers from Liege. I don't know a thing about him though, and it doesn't look like he has much senior experience under his belt. Probably a project for the future.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#238 » by and1GS » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:37 pm

Fryers just looks like a stash for the future, not convinced it's a good one. Or at least not better than the developing outside backs we already have, Rose and Naughton.

We agreed on a deal for Holtby in July, but from what I've seen he's a younger Gylfi...so not sure how he fits in the first team. I assume we'd immediately loan him out.

And I agree, QPR still stinks. They can't ride the high from the Chelsea victory because they plain suck. I truly believe our first team, when healthy, rivals Chelsea's in talent especially when Defoe is in form. QPR could barely beat Chelsea with Hazard, Mata and Cech sidelined...that's like if we benched Bale and Lennon then started Gomes over Lloris/Friedel. And I bet we'd still win the fixture.

Chelsea got complacent, I don't think we will as we certainly need all 3 points to continue our CL (and even top 2!?) push.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by Baphomet » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:04 am

I've heard good things about this Holtby kid. Truth be told I've never seen him play, so maybe one of the Bundesliga regular posters can help us out in regards to how good he actually is. More importantly of course, is that he snubbed Arsenal and Liverpool to join us. :D

I found this quite interesting regarding AVB and Holtby's decision to join us: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/tra ... -tottenham
and1GS
RealGM

Post#240 » by and1GS » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:02 am

Didn't realize it was a free transfer. Lol, top talent for nothing. Pretty sweet, glad AVB is so highly regarded.

Return to The General Soccer Board