Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#301 » by and1GS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Real have rumored to be willing to bid in the region of 40m pounds for Gareth. Seeing as we got 33m for Modric, and Gareth is far more instrumental to what we do than Luka turned out to be I think this is a silly offer that Levy will shoot down. I highly, highly doubt Gareth gets sold this offseason unless we receive a transfer offer in the region of below Cristiano and slightly above Kaka (basically 2nd or 3rd highest of all time).

Considering that Gareth is incredibly young and in Ronaldo-esque form at the moment, I don't see any way Levy would elt him go for less than Kaka was sold for.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#302 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

I'd let him go for 60 million pounds. But i hope he stays for another season at least.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#303 » by and1GS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Let's talk strikers...can Adebayor turn it around and how good will Defoe really be when he gets back? He was on fire to start the season but I'm afraid this injury break will slow him.

Ade has been so bad that playing Dempsey alone up top ALMOST makes sense. I see flashes of last season's Ade, but overall I don't know where the hell that player went.

We need a striker in the offseason that much is obvious, so where do we go? Chandler, you suggested Michu? Any ideas Bapho? I'd like to steer clear of Damiao unless he comes for under 15m pounds.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#304 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

I think we all suspected that Adebayor might stop giving his all once he got his permanent move. And i've never been a big Defoe fan. He is a decent player but i don't want to have to rely on him for long stretches. So we definitely need another striker.

I'm good with Michu or Damiao. Off the top of my head, i'd also take any one of Jovetic, Lewandowski, Adrian, and Benteke. I know they are all different players but i don't think we need a specific type.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#305 » by and1GS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Benteke is interesting because he has potential and is a nice, strong target, but is he ready to start for a club like Spurs?

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#306 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 pm

and1GS wrote:Benteke is interesting because he has potential and is a nice, strong target, but is he ready to start for a club like Spurs?

Full time? Probably not. But that wouldn't be the case yet.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#307 » by and1GS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 am

I think we need a full time senior striker right now, Adebayor isn't cutting it and we need to start looking at what will vault us to the next level. To be on the same level as the Manchesters and compete well in the CL. I think a creative attacking mid and a complete forward who doesn't take games off are what is separating us right now.

That and Kaboul's fitness. Once he's healthy I think we're pretty deep at the back.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#308 » by Baphomet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:08 am

I'm not sure who we'll target up front. Demba Ba would've been nice, especially for the price that Chelsea got him for. Roberto Soldado is someone we've apparently been interested in for some time, and I've always been impressed whenever I've had the chance to see him play. Not so sure how eager he'll be to leave Valencia, but he's the caliber of striker we should be looking at, especially if he can be had in the 15-18 million region.

If all else fails, Levy should offer a Freddo and a Capri Sun for Torres and call it a day.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#309 » by and1GS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:44 pm

If that Capri-Sun is pacific cooler flavor, you can forget it.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by Baphomet » Fri Mar 1, 2013 2:41 am

and1GS wrote:If that Capri-Sun is pacific cooler flavor, you can forget it.

Would probably need to start with a lowball bid of Wild Cherry before busting out the big guns. :D

I read a few articles suggesting that we're interested in Pablo Osvaldo, too. He's a bit of a loose cannon in Rome right now and seems to have gotten in an altercation with Totti, leading to him being dropped from the starting lineup. He has some character issues in the vein of Balotelli, but the man is immensely talented and would easily be the most technically gifted striker Spurs have seen since prime Berba. Still, he's just turned 27 so maybe someone a little more youthful such as Benteke, as you guys suggested earlier, would be a better fit.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#311 » by and1GS » Fri Mar 1, 2013 8:22 pm

Yuck, cherry is the worst flavor.

I think we're on the right track here...we need a starting lone striker who is champions league caliber and could start on any team in the EPL. We need a starter now, and while I'm a big fan of Benteke he is more of a back-up for now. If we're convinced either Defoe or Adebayor could start from now on and produce then that route is fine for me, but right now Ade sucks and Defoe is out/probably cooling down from his hot start.

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#312 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Mar 1, 2013 10:53 pm

Sounds to me like and1GS wants Lewandowski. :D
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 2, 2013 12:34 am

Lewandowski is a beast. I think he's heading to Man United or Bayern though, from what I've heard.

Sounds a lot like the rich getting richer, but still. It begs the question why Man United and Bayern would need yet another dominant striker.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#314 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Mar 2, 2013 1:11 am

Bayern makes some sense but it is possible that Dortmund refuses to sell him to them, giving him the choice between waiting another year for his move and signing with a different club. Or so i hope. The United rumours, meanwhile, i can't believe.

Still, there are plenty of other big clubs that could want him. Madrid, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Inter are realistic possibilities. In fact, if Real Madrid sign one of Falcao, Cavani, and Lewandowski, there could be a real opportunity to pounce for Benzema or Higuain.

Edit: That got me thinking; Would they cough up Di Maria and Benzema or Higuain for Bale? :D
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#315 » by BUCKnation » Sun Mar 3, 2013 4:02 am

Huge game tomorrow. Very excited for it.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#316 » by Man of Steel » Sun Mar 3, 2013 4:23 am

Chandler Bing wrote:Bayern makes some sense but it is possible that Dortmund refuses to sell him to them, giving him the choice between waiting another year for his move and signing with a different club. Or so i hope. The United rumours, meanwhile, i can't believe.

Still, there are plenty of other big clubs that could want him. Madrid, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Inter are realistic possibilities. In fact, if Real Madrid sign one of Falcao, Cavani, and Lewandowski, there could be a real opportunity to pounce for Benzema or Higuain.

Edit: That got me thinking; Would they cough up Di Maria and Benzema or Higuain for Bale? :D

Since the "agreement" that was made after the Modric transfer, they made it seem like both teams would notify each other if they were making any players available to other teams, and give each other first option. Since it's already been reported that we've tried to shop Di Maria to United and PSG, I would assume Levy was already notified and wasn't interested.

Probably not both Di Maria and one of the strikers. I could see them doing Di Maria and cash for Bale , but the only way they'd trade a RW and a striker for one player is if they were certain that one of Cavani or Falcao would be signing over the summer.

For Spurs, Di Maria and cash is great value, especially since AVB has a good record in terms of purchases.

EDIT: Just read we're apparently interested in Kyle Walker as competition + eventual replacement of Arbeloa.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Baphomet » Sun Mar 3, 2013 9:49 am

luisnani wrote:EDIT: Just read we're apparently interested in Kyle Walker as competition + eventual replacement of Arbeloa.

Walker's talented but he has some horrific mental lapses which often cost the team greatly. Going forward he can be influential in creating goal scoring opportunities, he's got bags of pace, links up well with Lennon and has a ferocious shot. Defensively however, he gambles on tackles, often loses track of his man and sometimes pushes up so far forward he leaves us undermanned for opposing counter attacks.

Some of these things will come with age, but truthfully I don't think he's Madrid quality.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#318 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 3, 2013 7:17 pm

Walker doesn't make much sense for Real, don't they still have Marcelo playing outside on the left? Might as well just play with 2 defenders at that point. Di Maria and cash is not a great value, Di Maria and a LOT of cash would be interesting but I'm still not sure I'd do it. And again, this isn't a Modric situation where he has no allegiance to us and has wanted out for a year, I honestly think Real management is panicking by getting creamed in league play so they throw out random transfer rumors. Bale is the best right now so that's their 'target.'

Is Siggy right or left footed? that late play where he tossed it over the middle was just...odd. He either has a horrid left foot or horrid composure in the final third.

and1GS
RealGM

Post#319 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 4, 2013 10:05 pm

Huge match against Liverpool this weekend. They're in-form (finally), it would be huge if we get the W here.

Le Roi
Pro Prospect
And1: 142

Post#320 » by Le Roi » Mon Mar 4, 2013 11:14 pm

It will be an interesting match, both teams on fire right about now however I think it'll be tough to win at anfield so I'm predicting a 1-1 draw

Return to The General Soccer Board