Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#281 » by BUCKnation » Thu Feb 7, 2013 10:29 pm

Just popped in to say Ive been rooting for you guys since you got Dempsey. Adding Lloris was a big move as well, weird seeing someone other than Friedel in goal after so many years.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#282 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 8, 2013 2:06 am

Arsenal are worrisome. We know too well that they're capable of making late season pushes, and Wilshere and Walcott seem to be finding form. They can beat anyone on any given day, which means it's absolutely imperative that we beat them at WHL.

BUCKnation wrote:Just popped in to say Ive been rooting for you guys since you got Dempsey. Adding Lloris was a big move as well, weird seeing someone other than Friedel in goal after so many years.

Yup, Lloris is our biggest coup since we got Van der Vaart in 2010. He's one of the most sound goalkeepers in the EPL right now. Dempsey's still finding his feet at Spurs, his role has changed a lot because of injury rotation but he still manages to bag a goal occasionally. Sometimes I worry that he slows down our play since he tends to ponder on the ball for a long time before acting, allowing defences to recouperate, but on other occasions he'll play an incisive through pass leading to a good goalscoring opportunity.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#283 » by and1GS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am

Gareth is the **** man, I can't wait to see Levy shoot down Real's lowball offers in the offseason. Also, unlike Modric, Bale really seems invested in this team. Like he actually cares he's playing for Spurs and not whoever. His loyalty really has been remarkable as he probably should have heavily considered an exit this past season.

I'm sure I'm speaking too early, but I'm a huge fan of Gareth the player, leader and person. No strikers? No problem, Gareth can slot it home from literally anywhere lately. COYS
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#284 » by Baphomet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 am

It's hard to say. I just hope that the recent praise he's getting doesn't go to his head and starts thinking he's bigger than the club. He's become a fringe top 10 player and remains a fantastic professional, here's hoping he can realise his full potential with Spurs. Like I said, if we make a good Europa League push and make it to the CL, I don't think we'll have too many problems keeping him. His value is at an all-time high and there's only a handful of teams who could even afford him, so the offers will be large but few.

I get anxious every time Bale has a monster game now. I hope he's looked carefully at Modric in Madrid and seen how these big money moves to huge teams aren't always the be-all-end-all if there's no tactical need for the player in question.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#285 » by and1GS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Agreed, I also don't really understand why the Reals are seen as the 'next step' for players on CL teams in big leagues. He's not going from Ajax to Barcelona or something, he'd be going from a top 3 EPL contender to a top 3 Spanish league contender.

The only time I think a player in Bale's position could seriously justify a move to another club as the 'next step' would be if there was a) already a place carved out for him at the new club, where he would be integral to their success and b) if that team was Barcelona or Manchester United. Even then you have to consider Barca plays a very different style and Man U already has several wingers.

Going to a Man City, Real or Chelsea would do nothing for Bale, and I don't even think those teams would improve with his arrival (other than maybe City) because they already have a roster full of redundant exemplary players. Real especially seems like an awful fit.

He's not Ronaldo, and they play in the same position...so...

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by Baphomet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:52 am

Well, the difference is that Real Madrid are perennial Champions League contenders and have ownership that is willing to splash huge amounts of money to improve the squad. Until Spurs can prove that they belong in the EPL top 4 and are regular Champions League features, we will never have the pull of that elite level of club. Whether they fit or not, sadly it seems like some players are drawn to the grandeur of a club like that. However, I agree with every other point you made.

It remains to be seen what happens. We know there's going to be interest, but Gareth has commented very little on the matter publically and seems completely dedicated to the club. As you said, the passion practically exudes from him whenever he steps on the pitch... he clearly cares a lot about the club.

The question is, is Levy willing to spend enough money to surround Bale with talent capable of mounting a title challenge? We are a very talented team now, but even at full strength we lack the clout and raw ability of the Manchester clubs.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#287 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 am

I want Michu. And Moutinho, while i'm at it.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#288 » by and1GS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I think Michu has been riding a hot spell this season, isn't he injured now anyway?

We first and foremost need striker depth. We were very lucky that Defoe has been on fire this season, but forward has and always will be our issue until we secure a long term solution.

Of note, I think I've kinda realized who Holtby basically is: Moussa. They play the same way, theyre both physical, but Holtby is a better passer into the attacking third and Dembele is a better/stronger defender. With that said, I think we could let Parker go, slot Holtby into his position and then find a true CAM to fill the Modric role. Doesn't have to be Moutinho, but I don't know of too many players like that.

Those will be the two things this off-season that will either vault us into the next level or drop us out of CL and lose us Gareth - acquiring a real, motivated striker and getting a true playmaker at CAM. I wish we hadn't sold VDV but I guess he just really didn't want to be here.

Levy needs to find his targets early in the offseason, we can't afford to drop points early on because h's pissing around trying to get the best deal. As you all may recall, we lost to Newcastle to start the season because we were woefully shorthanded. Those 3 points would be HUGE right now. Can't afford that next campaign.

As for now i like what we have. Especially a back 4 of Kyle-Vert-Caulker-BAE. Though BAE does tend to give me a heart attack :lol:

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#289 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Michu fills the striker need. He can play upfront on his own or just behind. He would prove a different dimension with Adebayor and Defoe in fold. He scored yesterday so i don't think he's injured at the moment.

I didn't watch him at all last season so this may well be an outlier season, but he seems so smooth and so smart that i'm tempted to conclude otherwise.

I think the base of our midfield going forward is the Sandro & Dembele pairing. Parker can back them up as he ages. If we get Moutinho, we can either use the three of them together in a 4-3-3 or preserve our current shape (which AVB seems to prefer) and push Dembele up. Moutinho likes to play deeper. He's not an effective No. 10.

I'd like to see more of Holtby, but as of right now i'd rather use him as an attacking midfielder alone.

I think we need a striker, a deep playmaker, and a solid, experienced centre-back to pair with Vertonghen. Then we can keep Caulker and Dawson to round out the position, ditch Gallas for good, and maybe make some money off Kaboul.

I totally agree about getting deals done earlier in the market. Levy's apparent obsession with haggling for bargains has been hurting us recently.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#290 » by and1GS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 pm

TBH I'm kinda down on Michu due to Sigurdsson. He was a king at Swanseas and now he's a bit player with little potential at Spurs. I also think Michu would cost upward of 10m pounds, and while I suppose he's entering his prime I'd be very hesitant to pay that amount.

FWIW I'd slap someone if we bought Damiao for 20m pounds. That dude will go the way of Loic Remy in half a season, turn into a cut-price bargain.

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#291 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm

It's easy to say it now, but i never liked or wanted Sigurdsson. That one seemed like a Levy attempt at a cheap, shrewd signing that AVB had to go along with as he took the job. I was actually going to make the distinction between Sigurdsson and Michu but i didn't wanna include the "Never wanted him" bit. :D

I'm not very familiar with Damiao. Watched him at the Olympics. He looked to me like the Brazilian Lewandowski.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#292 » by and1GS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Not gonna lie, he's good, but Adebayor does everything he does. Trouble is Ade is rarely on form lately and only seems motivated when there's a contract dispute.

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#293 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm

and1GS wrote:Not gonna lie, he's good, but Adebayor does everything he does. Trouble is Ade is rarely on form lately and only seems motivated when there's a contract dispute.

Hahah so true. :D
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#294 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Team today:

Lloris

Walker
Caulker
Dawson
Vertonghen

Parker
Dembele

Lennon
Holtby
Bale

Adebayor
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#295 » by cgf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

I think Holtby, Dembele and Sandro is a midfield trio as good as any in the EPL. Sandro sits deep and cleans up, while Holtby and Dembele run around and support the front 3, Dembele the stronger dribbler and scorer, Holtby the more creative passer and playmaker. You absolutely need better depth than Parker and Sygi, but that starting trio is really sweet.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#296 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm

cgf wrote:I think Holtby, Dembele and Sandro is a midfield trio as good as any in the EPL. Sandro sits deep and cleans up, while Holtby and Dembele run around and support the front 3, Dembele the stronger dribbler and scorer, Holtby the more creative passer and playmaker. You absolutely need better depth than Parker and Sygi, but that starting trio is really sweet.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Holtby. If he's as good as advertised, we may not need another passer.

Definitely a hard worker though. He's working his butt off right now.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#297 » by and1GS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

What an awful play by Parker...****

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#298 » by cgf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:
cgf wrote:I think Holtby, Dembele and Sandro is a midfield trio as good as any in the EPL. Sandro sits deep and cleans up, while Holtby and Dembele run around and support the front 3, Dembele the stronger dribbler and scorer, Holtby the more creative passer and playmaker. You absolutely need better depth than Parker and Sygi, but that starting trio is really sweet.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Holtby. If he's as good as advertised, we may not need another passer.

Definitely a hard worker though. He's working his butt off right now.

I think he's a similar player to Jack Wilshere with a little less pure skill, but who covers more ground.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#299 » by Baphomet » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 am

Might as well immortalize this in gif form :D

and1GS
RealGM

Post#300 » by and1GS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

The Arsenal match will be massive for Gareth. If he can play an instrumental role in beating our rivals, after them stomping us into the pitch the past several times, he'll be a legend.

When Gareth received the ball in the middle of the pitch, I knew something special was going to happen. 6 defenders in front of him, 2 teammates in support and 30 seconds on the clock...but I was pretty sure he was going to do something special. That and the Lyon goal have made me lose it in the middle of the day at my office. Just absolutely incredible. Two high pressure strikes from 30 yards out with no time left...and he nails both. Unbelievable.

Return to The General Soccer Board