Official Chelsea FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread 

Post#1881 » by SgtPepper » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 pm

I looked at the latest public financial forecast on Chelsea today. They are looking at a annual (un-amortized) operating loss this season, but they're nowhere near bankruptcy because when Clearlake bought the club they paid over true value by ~£2B which can be used for investing. So FFP is the more relevant constraint. But FFP is defined on 3 year cycles and largely just looks at amortized operating net income, so the strongest constraint they seem to face is being due to pay back on a spending limit of ~£1B in 25/26, with the timeline potentially accelerated if their revenue projections reduce. While the risk of net annual revenues dropping due to failure to qualify for European competitions, relegation, accelerated amortization or distressing of player value due to overpaying/players busting/being untradeable at buy value, etc are credible concerns Chelsea's commercial revenue has grown a lot already since Boehly took over (by £150M this year) and matchday revenue has begun rebounding so the net annual revenue will likely increase even if the broadcast revenue drops a lot from footballing underperformance. Also looking at historical precedents of FFP breaches like City and PSG where neither had to pay full value most likely Chelsea would have a discounted payoff too if they breach since it is so laxly enforced both in Europe and England.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1882 » by SgtPepper » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:16 pm

Any chance Chelsea break another record by sacking Lamps this season? The EPL produces the most dreadful nepotistic managers who were previously great players. See also: Rooney, Gerrard, Gary

Meanwhile proper managers like Benitez and Pocch have been unemployed over a year.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1883 » by HIF » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:09 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Any chance Chelsea break another record by sacking Lamps this season? The EPL produces the most dreadful nepotistic managers who were previously great players. See also: Rooney, Gerrard

Meanwhile proper managers like Benitez and Pocch have been unemployed over a year.

They aren't necessarily bad managers, the problem is they go straight in at the top, if they worked their way through they'd probably be very good.

Poch is out of a job because he refuses to take on any team that is not a world big 5. Benitez is out of a job because he will only take a team that realises he's no longer good enough for them.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1884 » by SgtPepper » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:16 am

With less apologistic spin, you're saying those guys were hired prematurely for jobs they were unfit for due to their reputation as players superseding their managerial level. That's exactly what I was saying, except I wouldn't assume they could successfully work their way through to the top ever. That requires actual managerial talent.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1885 » by HIF » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:16 am

SgtPepper wrote:With less apologistic spin, you're saying those guys were hired prematurely for jobs they were unfit for due to their reputation as players superseding their managerial level. That's exactly what I was saying, except I wouldn't assume they could successfully work their way through to the top ever. That requires actual managerial talent.

and you're saying that Poch and Benitez should be getting top jobs despite being sacked from others , presumably for being poor managers.

You are coming from the simplistic view that it's all down to the managers when the manager probably never has more than 30% blame with the players and the owners being far more to blame.

Both Lampard and Rooney, as well as Gerrard, Viera and many others have been successful, I just think your view is limited.

HIF
RealGM

Post#1886 » by HIF » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:19 am

After all Mourhino, probably acknowledged to be one of the best managers of all time failed at Chelsea, Tuchel failed at chelsea, and lots of other reknowned managers have been fired - therefore failed - at chelsea.

LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#1887 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:24 am

So there’s talk about Boehly being too involved in the football side of things. He should’ve left Marina and Cech in charge of that side of things for this season and reviewed their positions after. I’m sure they would’ve been able to talk sense into him.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1888 » by SgtPepper » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:52 pm

It's obvious at this point that Clearlake bought Chelsea as a growth investment like the Glazers at Utd. They are going to get the return they hunted for even if they sat on their hands due to the sheer growth of the epl.

On the other hand the incompetence of the English FA and regulatory apparatus are highlighted because Boehly's day job is to represent the foreign interests of Hollywood and owning a global brand like Chelsea is a clear conflict of interest with that. His transfer activities have also accelerated inflation in the league raising the risk of distressed assets and club defaults throughout it.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1889 » by HIF » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:13 pm

SgtPepper wrote:It's obvious at this point that Clearlake bought Chelsea as a growth investment like the Glazers at Utd. They are going to get the return they hunted for even if they sat on their hands due to the sheer growth of the epl.

On the other hand the incompetence of the English FA and regulatory apparatus are highlighted because Boehly's day job is to represent the foreign interests of Hollywood and owning a global brand like Chelsea is a clear conflict of interest with that. His transfer activities have also accelerated inflation in the league raising the risk of distressed assets and club defaults throughout it.

Those are some of your opinions I can agree with. Big business is killing football but most people believe the opposite.

SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1890 » by SgtPepper » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 pm

Frank really is an awful tactician despite the generally underrated 1st stint at the club. He stuck with the 3 man backline after the sending off last time despite being a goal down, still sticking with it now even 2 goals down. Madrid's been cheating out of 433 into a 352'ish formation all season with the age of Benz and Carvajal. Chelsea really couldn't have made it easier for them to dominate with plan A.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1891 » by SgtPepper » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Madrid fans were singing 'Lampard quedate(stay)' yesterday which is a bit of shithousery on par with Klopp wishing Wenger would stay at Arsenal forever after drubbing Arsenal by 4+ goals. This is the only club during my fandom which progressively replaced their managers with worse ones in one season. Began with a CL winner and ended with a relegation level unemployable.

Still looking forward to the Utd game where the fans can see the freaky Friday situation of the clubs swapping positions in and out of Europe.

The only upcoming milestone after is seeing whether the CL winning mids near end of contract escape in the summer, and how the club deal with Lukaku as their probable best forward but strongest hater.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1892 » by SgtPepper » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:40 pm

This posturing by the club that they have a shot at a continental manager despite being a noncontinental team is quite the English dog & pony show. I bet the next manager is at best Potter tier again.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1893 » by HIF » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:03 pm

SgtPepper wrote:This posturing by the club that they have a shot at a continental manager despite being a noncontinental team is quite the English dog & pony show. I bet the next manager is at best Potter tier again.

You do have a strange way of deciding how good a manager is.

SgtPepper
Junior

Post#1894 » by SgtPepper » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:56 pm

HIF wrote:You do have a strange way of deciding how good a manager is.

To a lazy idiot I imagine most of reality must be surprising and strange. Where are those great English managers you've been alluded to?
HIF
RealGM

Post#1895 » by HIF » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:09 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
HIF wrote:You do have a strange way of deciding how good a manager is.

To a lazy idiot I imagine most of reality must be surprising and strange. Where are those great English managers you've been alluded to?

hahaha

I guess you're coaching some top European team.

You do make me laugh when you pour scorn on managers like Potter.

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,700

Post#1896 » by stormi » Thu May 25, 2023 3:51 am

Read on Twitter

Wonderful news. We're almost at the finish line.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1897 » by stormi » Sun May 28, 2023 9:40 pm

Stormi's '22/'23 conclusion.

Impressively awful season from this football club.

Ready for the Pochettino era to commence, if there was a red line at the bottom of the earth we've gone through it and entered into a dimension unforeseen. A champaign moment to be blessed in separation from this game for a little while.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1898 » by stormi » Wed May 31, 2023 12:20 am

Pain in my heart losing my starchild João.

While a lot of other academy players were holding this club ransom for a generational payday and faking injuries, he fought for the badge while being benched by a xenophobic moron in Frank Lampard motivated only by shoehorning as many undeserving English players into the side as physically possible.

This one will hurt for a while.

However this list of reported outgoings is euphoria.

Mount, Gallagher, Chalobah. Three of the worst footballers I've ever been forced upon.

Koulibaly, Azpilicueta, Aubameyang, Kovacic, Kante, Mendy. Washed up.

Pulisic, injury prone which has then ruined his explosiveness. Kudos to him, on his best days and if you squinted a little bit you saw glimpses of a star spangled Eden Hazard.

There is a vision and I'm here for it.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1899 » by stormi » Wed May 31, 2023 12:24 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
stormi
General Manager

Post#1900 » by stormi » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:31 pm

Although I'm not all the way convinced on their abilities on the ball. Ugarte more-so than Caicedo, I do like the fact that we're prioritizing PnP more.

People view Manchester City and Pep as pure JDP possession style footy as per his time at Barcelona, but it undermines the the fact that they're stocked full of tall athletes that dominate duels (Akanji, Dias, Stones, Ake, Walker, Rodri, Haaland) and the ones who aren't tall can run marathons (Bernardo, KDB etc).

We've relied on Kante's engine a lot during our more recent brighter days but with him regressing we've been far too soft at our spine.

Return to The General Soccer Board