Which EPL team should I root for?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Re: Which EPL team should I root for? 

Post#61 » by Hijinks » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:47 am

obviously your choice should be borussia dortmund. young and successful team with a nice history, great fans and the best stadium in the world.

if you insist on epl, i'd take arsenal. not only because of the german players, but they always seem to have young and hungry teams. i also like arsene wenger.

but again, bundesliga should be your choice.
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#62 » by Next Coming » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:45 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:I totally know what gif he plans on using in response and I'm going to ruin it.

Spoiler:

AHSHSJDDJDKDJDJSJSKSJS!!!!! He looks like he sniffs bicycle seats.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Next Coming » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 am

TBh bin the Premier League and pick either Gladbach, Wolfsburg, Sevilla, Bilbao or Roma. There's enough streams you can follow any of those teams easily now.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#64 » by Maex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Whatever you do, do not follow Wolfsburg. Unlike Chelsea and City they do not have anything else to offer than money.
-the city is a artificial disgrace (builded and funded by Volkswagen)
-they have only 4800 members
-they have one of the smallest stadiums in Germany and can't even fill it (besides giving free tickets away like air).
-they have smallest fan base at away games
-their fan base is one of the least entertaining in Germany
-even German fast trains (ICE) "forget" to stop in Wolfsburg
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#65 » by Foye » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Maex wrote:Whatever you do, do not follow Wolfsburg. Unlike Chelsea and City they do not have anything else to offer than money.
-the city is a artificial disgrace (builded and funded by Volkswagen)
-they have only 4800 members
-they have one of the smallest stadiums in Germany and can't even fill it (besides giving free tickets away like air).
-they have smallest fan base at away games
-their fan base is one of the least entertaining in Germany
-even German fast trains (ICE) "forget" to stop in Wolfsburg

Why do you always emphasize that Wolfsburg sucks so much? Do you fear they will compete with Bayern for the league title in the next few years? :eyebrows:

I mean everyone knows already that they are a company club. Same like Leverkusen and Bayern, too, tbh.
:dontknow:
kosarev
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#66 » by kosarev » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:56 pm

To help you drop that EPL nonsense ( remember, you threw their tea to the harbor) I will make a brief summary of all La Liga teams ( never say The La Liga, La means the). Everything will be a generalization, clouded by political bias, dislike or even hatred towards some teams and misconceptions. So fans of **** teams, dont get offended.

The Powerhouses

Are you a bandwagoner? Cant follow a team thats not on the hunt for a trophy? Look no further. The two La Liga giants are your answer. With SAF out of the picture, no English team is comparable to the two of them.

Real Madrid10 Champion Leagues, thirtysomething leagues and a handful of cups. THE spanish team. So much money they overpay for any scrub they happen to like. Sets records for most expensive signing every couple years. Full of stars, every summer they will retool. Fan owned team, but their president-for-life has changed the rules and a change in direction is gonna be near impossible. Their stadium is in the centre of the spanish capitol, Madrid. Fans are quiet, **** overall. Ultras are fascists.

Their youth teams are good, they poach talent from every team in the country and are trying to internazionalize their academy, called La Fabrica. But they dont give much importance to their youths, since the 80s they have relied on foreign talent for their main pieces.

They are trying to establish a set footballing identity, but after Mourinhos tenure they arent so sure about where they are heading to. With fast forwards, counter attacks are one of their strenghts.

Rivals: Barcelona, Atletico de Madrid.

Nicknames: Merengues ( meringues), vikingos ( vikings)

Stars: Cristiano Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema

Up and coming players: Varane, Isco, Jese

Barcelona Second most succesful team in the history of the league. Fan owned, their elections are a source of lols. Prone to meltdowns, their presidents are normally a bunch af morons. Right now, for example they are i the middle of a tax evasion scandal. Their stadium is in the middle of the of Barcelona, with plans for a remodelling. **** fans, one of the quietest stadiyms. Their ultras are nearly nonexistant after the club chased them off the stadium.

La Masia is renowned all around the world for the quality of the prospects they develop. Full of talented players coming from every country, its the main source of players for the first team, who will try to sign some foreign players to compliment what they produce in-house. Their B team has finished 3 rd on the cutthroat spanish 2nd division, which talks wonders about their youngsters.

Tiki-taka is their child. They developed and mastered that style and under Guardiolas tenure they managed to become one of the greatest teams the sport has ever seen. They rely heavily on their midfield, with multiple super talented players moving the ball till they can see an opening. They have a glaring weakness on the set pieces. Both on the attack and on defence. Of course, a team full of midgets has its drawbacks. Since Cruyff was their manager, they have tried to keep this style. Will try to retool next year after a disapointing season.

Rivals: Real Madrid, Espanyol

Nicknames: blaugranas ( blue`n`reds), cules ( bottoms)

Stars: Messi, Neymar

Up and coming players: Deulofeu, Rafinha

If you guys like it, next come the aristrocacy of La Liga,: Athletic Club, Atletico de Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia
Maex
Senior

Post#67 » by Maex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Foye wrote:Why do you always emphasize that Wolfsburg sucks so much? Do you fear they will compete with Bayern for the league title in the next few years? :eyebrows:

I mean everyone knows already that they are a company club. Same like Leverkusen and Bayern, too, tbh.

Let's take Bayern out of the equation, because I do not want to end up in an endless discussion with you.

I did not refer in any part of my posting to Wolfsburg as company club. They just don't have anything attractive.
I am not sure if you have been in Wolfsburg before. It was founded 1938 just for the reason to build cars. And you can clearly see that. In Leverkusen you have at least Düsseldorf, Cologne,.. and other nice places around you.

Wolfsburg is (maybe in combination with Hoffenheim) the least attractive choice in Germany. They might play attractive football from time to time, but style of football changes faster than fans, city, entertainment,...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#68 » by 5DOM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 pm

kosarev wrote:To help you drop that EPL nonsense ( remember, you threw their tea to the harbor) I will make a brief summary of all La Liga teams ( never say The La Liga, La means the). Everything will be a generalization, clouded by political bias, dislike or even hatred towards some teams and misconceptions. So fans of **** teams, dont get offended.

The Powerhouses

Are you a bandwagoner? Cant follow a team thats not on the hunt for a trophy? Look no further. The two La Liga giants are your answer. With SAF out of the picture, no English team is comparable to the two of them.

Real Madrid10 Champion Leagues, thirtysomething leagues and a handful of cups. THE spanish team. So much money they overpay for any scrub they happen to like. Sets records for most expensive signing every couple years. Full of stars, every summer they will retool. Fan owned team, but their president-for-life has changed the rules and a change in direction is gonna be near impossible. Their stadium is in the centre of the spanish capitol, Madrid. Fans are quiet, **** overall. Ultras are fascists.

Their youth teams are good, they poach talent from every team in the country and are trying to internazionalize their academy, called La Fabrica. But they dont give much importance to their youths, since the 80s they have relied on foreign talent for their main pieces.

They are trying to establish a set footballing identity, but after Mourinhos tenure they arent so sure about where they are heading to. With fast forwards, counter attacks are one of their strenghts.

Rivals: Barcelona, Atletico de Madrid.

Nicknames: Merengues ( meringues), vikingos ( vikings)

Stars: Cristiano Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema

Up and coming players: Varane, Isco, Jese

Barcelona Second most succesful team in the history of the league. Fan owned, their elections are a source of lols. Prone to meltdowns, their presidents are normally a bunch af morons. Right now, for example they are i the middle of a tax evasion scandal. Their stadium is in the middle of the of Barcelona, with plans for a remodelling. **** fans, one of the quietest stadiyms. Their ultras are nearly nonexistant after the club chased them off the stadium.

La Masia is renowned all around the world for the quality of the prospects they develop. Full of talented players coming from every country, its the main source of players for the first team, who will try to sign some foreign players to compliment what they produce in-house. Their B team has finished 3 rd on the cutthroat spanish 2nd division, which talks wonders about their youngsters.

Tiki-taka is their child. They developed and mastered that style and under Guardiolas tenure they managed to become one of the greatest teams the sport has ever seen. They rely heavily on their midfield, with multiple super talented players moving the ball till they can see an opening. They have a glaring weakness on the set pieces. Both on the attack and on defence. Of course, a team full of midgets has its drawbacks. Since Cruyff was their manager, they have tried to keep this style. Will try to retool next year after a disapointing season.

Rivals: Real Madrid, Espanyol

Nicknames: blaugranas ( blue`n`reds), cules ( bottoms)

Stars: Messi, Neymar

Up and coming players: Deulofeu, Rafinha

If you guys like it, next come the aristrocacy of La Liga,: Athletic Club, Atletico de Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia

Yes! And please focus on the stereotypes.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Next Coming » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:34 pm

The German discussion on here is fascinating lol
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#70 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm

RealGM is racist for not allowing me too show my support for them.
Foye

Post#71 » by Foye » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Maex wrote:
Foye wrote:Why do you always emphasize that Wolfsburg sucks so much? Do you fear they will compete with Bayern for the league title in the next few years? :eyebrows:

Let's take Bayern out of the equation, because I do not want to end up in a endless discussion with you.

I did not refer in any part of my posting to Wolfsburg as company club. They just don't have anything attractive.
I am not sure if you have been in Wolfsburg before. It was founded 1938 just for the reason to build cars. And you can clearly see that. In Leverkusen you have at least Düsseldorf, Cologne,.. and other nice places around you.

Wolfsburg is (maybe in combination with Hoffenheim) the least attractive choice in Germany. They might play attractive football from time to time, but style of football changes faster than fans, city, entertainment,...

Hoffenheim has Mannheim close, Wolfsburg has Hannover. It's not like you have to live in Wolfsburg if you are a Wolfsburg player or in Hoffenheim if you are a Hoffenheim player. :dontknow:
Not to mention the location of the club is pretty irrelevant for an international user from the US who might never visit the city anyway.
I agree with you, though, that there are definitely better clubs to support than Wolfsburg.

I don't want to end up in an endless discussion but Bayern is essentially a DAX company team.
10% each for Adidas, Audi & Allianz, as well as yearly payments. The Telekom/Unicredit are huge sponsors as well. And there are more (albeit smaller) sponsors as well.
I don't blame Bayern for operating like that as it is the only way for them to be able to compete with the Sheikh's and Russians in the CL.

It is not different to what happens in Wolfsburg/Leipzig/Hoffenheim at all - only that these clubs don't have the history of Bayern and are only relying on one big sponsor/donor instead of 5 or 6. The sponsors may not have the same influence that VW/Hopp/Mateschitz have in their respective clubs but if only 2 or 3 of your sponsors had questioned Hoeneß staying as a manager despite the investigations - he would've been long gone well before his own resignation a few weeks ago.
Maex
Senior

Post#72 » by Maex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Foye wrote:Hoffenheim has Mannheim close, Wolfsburg has Hannover.

Is there are ranking for the most ugliest cities in Germany? I think we are close to completing the list with Wolfsburg, Mannheim, and Hannover.

But I think we basically agree. There are better teams in Germany to support. If you prefer the underdogs and not the obvious (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke) Gladbach, Mainz and potentially teams like Stuttgart, Bremen are the better choice.

Foye wrote:I don't want to end up in an endless discussion with you but Bayern is essentially a DAX company team.
10% each for Adidas, Audi & Allianz, as well as yearly payments. The Telekom/Unicredit are huge sponsors as well. And there are more (albeit smaller) sponsors as well.
I don't blame Bayern for operating like that as it is the only way for them to be able to compete with the Sheikh's and Russians in the CL.

It is not different to what happens in Wolfsburg/Leipzig/Hoffenheim at all - only that these clubs don't have the history of Bayern and are only relying on one big sponsor/donor instead of 5 or 6.

Endless discussion here I come.

Even if you do not consider history, which is a big part of a club:

1. Bayern is a club owned by his members
2. A minority part (24.99%) is owned by three companies
3. Bayern is not dependent on one of their minority owners. If one of them leaves, they do not give a f***. Even if all of them leave, it is not a major issue or will force the club into insolvency.
4. Bayern has won basically every major cups before they sold the minority parts
5. Membership at Bayern Munich is very cheap, even affordable for unemployed people

And you can serious tell anyone that their is no difference?
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#73 » by DD12 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Some people really think epl teams are better the la liga teams? I mean its shocking whoever thinks that way. La Liga teams probably triple the cups that english teams won within last 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by 5DOM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:29 pm

DD12 wrote:Some people really think epl teams are better the la liga teams? I mean its shocking whoever thinks that way. La Liga teams probably triple the cups that english teams won within last 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think La Liga is better at the moment, but the difference in CL records over the last 10 years isn't that significant: 3 winners and 5 runner-ups for PL vs 4 winners and 1 runner-up for La Liga. Also, until this year, it was all Barcelona for La Liga during that time.

Now, La Liga teams have done very well in Europa which is great for them, but it's a tournament that most countries don't really care about.
Foye

Post#75 » by Foye » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Maex wrote:
Endless discussion here I come.

Even if you do not consider history, which is a big part of a club:

1. Bayern is a club owned by his members
2. A minority part (24.99%) is owned by three companies
3. Bayern is not dependent on one of their minority owners. If one of them leaves, they do not give a f***. Even if all of them leave, it is not a major issue or will force the club into insolvency.
4. Bayern has won basically every major cups before they sold the minority parts
5. Membership at Bayern Munich is very cheap, even affordable for unemployed people

And you can serious tell anyone that their is no difference?

Lets just agree to disagree here. It would really be another endless, pointless discussion.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#76 » by DD12 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:41 pm

I am not really sold on 'people don't care Europa League'. They very well do. Chelsea really cared about the Europa League when they won. I feel like people act like they don't care but I am sure everybody would love to win it.
Foye

Post#77 » by Foye » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:49 pm

DD12 wrote:I am not really sold on 'people don't care Europa League'. They very well do. Chelsea really cared about the Europa League when they won. I feel like people act like they don't care but I am sure everybody would love to win it.

Of course you want to win it as soon as you are in the semi final. Before? I doubt Chelsea cared all that much.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#78 » by El Turco » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:55 pm

i thought la liga has been better for couple of seasons now. epl teams at 3-7 does spend significantly more money so teams look better to casual fans but luckily spending more money doesn't always make better teams.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by 5DOM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:55 pm

DD12 wrote:I am not really sold on 'people don't care Europa League'. They very well do. Chelsea really cared about the Europa League when they won. I feel like people act like they don't care but I am sure everybody would love to win it.

I think most Chelsea fans only really started caring once the team reached the Final. Of course if you are given the choice to either win it or lose it, you would gladly accept the trophy, but for a lot of clubs Europa isn't a tournament that would devastate anyone if your team didn't win. It's like the League Cup. It's lacklustre until someone wins it, by which point the fans of that team start claiming it the best competition in the country.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#80 » by Man of Steel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:56 pm

kosarev wrote:If you guys like it, next come the aristrocacy of La Liga,: Athletic Club, Atletico de Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia

No love for La Real, eh? Hehehe
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS

Return to The General Soccer Board