World Cup Rd. of 16: Costa Rica vs. Greece (June 29th)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who will win?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Costa Rica
72%
Greece
28%

Total votes: 25

The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Re: World Cup Rd. of 16: Costa Rica vs. Greece (June 29th) 

Post#321 » by The Duke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 am

I was happy to see Costa Rica win.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#322 » by DD12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 am

cgf wrote:
Doormatt wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Why not?

Not everyone allows his personal political biases to influence which team they support in a sports competition.

i think hes referring to the football they play, which is mostly offensive to the eyes.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure the greek strategy is just to pray that the refs confuse them with the italians because of the antifootball they play, the jerseys, and the team not having a single person on it who looks under 40, and hand them a game winning penalty to steal it ;)

you talking about the same Italy? the one that raped Germany all the time?
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#323 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:06 am

DD12 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Doormatt wrote:
i think hes referring to the football they play, which is mostly offensive to the eyes.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure the greek strategy is just to pray that the refs confuse them with the italians because of the antifootball they play, the jerseys, and the team not having a single person on it who looks under 40, and hand them a game winning penalty to steal it ;)

you talking about the same Italy? the one that raped Germany all the time?

So what you're saying is if only Italy played germany three straight times in the group stages then you might not have failed to qualify over Costa Rica and Uruguay?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#324 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 am

poeman wrote:Costa Rica deserved it...I also am someone that cannot stand how Greece plays. Its terrible football to watch.

They really got lucky by advancing into the Round of 16 with Ivory Coast blowing it but they cannot create any offense for their life. What are they teaching in Greece?

These guys were down 10 men from like the 65th minute...Really amazing effort and easily the greatest moment in Costa Rican history lol.

Navas was unreal...

What's annoying is the greeks don't have to play like this, they have players and gifted youngsters who could flourish in a more open and aggressive system, but coaches from the NT to club level never do. Plus I think there's a good deal of stereotyping that happens when young greeks go abroad where they are expected to be these no nonsense defense first players because they are greek, so that is what they are trained to do. Same thing that happens to a lot of african midfielders as well which is why the days of Jay Jay Okocha are so far from us and the only creative african star we get is Eto'o, a striker.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#325 » by DD12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 am

If, would have, could have bro.

Italy played really bad against Rica and they deservedly lost.
The ref raped them against Uruguay but they again didn't play well either until the red card.
They are deservedly out of this tournament.

I have no clue what would happen if Italy were playing against Germany three straight times. They usually play better against better teams and typically underestimate the other teams. But again who knows how those games would end.
cgf
RealGM

Post#326 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:31 am

Oh I know, it's why I can't actually hate the italian NT despite your best efforts and them being tied with us for majors, even if those first two WCs they won were incredibly shady, they're so like the New York Giants that I love, a team that can beat anybody and I mean thoroughly beat down anybody, but can also blow it to even the absolutely worst team.

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Re: AW: World Cup Rd. of 16: Costa Rica vs. Greece (June 29t 

Post#327 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 am

Nuntius wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:How can anyone like Greece?

Why not?

Not everyone allows his personal political biases to influence which team they support in a sports competition.

Yeah, politics don't have anything to do with that. Just watch them play.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#328 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Karagounis has retired after 139 caps:
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/foo ... --sow.html

No shame in how he played in this tournament. He was past it (see his bad dead balls), but the effort and 2-way play was still there.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,358

Post#329 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Doormatt wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Why not?

No, he's not referring to the football they play. One of his first reactions to Costa Rica's win was "pay your debts, Greece". This is not a football comment and it indicates the real reasons why he wanted Greece to lose.

cgf wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Why not?

...people don't hate the greek team because of the corruption and your politicians having never heard of a budget...

What I said to Doormatt. Several people allow their political biases to affect which team they support in a World Cup.

Disliking the Greek NT because of the defensive football that we play is fair enough and everyone has the right to do that.

On the other hand, disliking the Greek NT because of the Greek goverment is not ok. Football (and any sport in general) shouldn't be confused with politics.

PS: By the way, the vast majority of the Greek people also dislike the Greek goverment. The only reason that they are still in power is because the IMF is backing them up.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#330 » by truth18 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Doormatt wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Why not?

No, he's not referring to the football they play. One of his first reactions to Costa Rica's win was "pay your debts, Greece". This is not a football comment and it indicates the real reasons why he wanted Greece to lose.

cgf wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Why not?

...people don't hate the greek team because of the corruption and your politicians having never heard of a budget...

What I said to Doormatt. Several people allow their political biases to affect which team they support in a World Cup.

Disliking the Greek NT because of the defensive football that we play is fair enough and everyone has the right to do that.

On the other hand, disliking the Greek NT because of the Greek goverment is not ok. Football (and any sport in general) shouldn't be confused with politics.

PS: By the way, the vast majority of the Greek people also dislike the Greek goverment. The only reason that they are still in power is because the IMF is backing them up.

Can I dislike them because of their (at times) facist fan base?
YOU LOSE
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 pm

truth18 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Doormatt wrote:

cgf wrote:...people don't hate the greek team because of the corruption and your politicians having never heard of a budget...

Do you dislike the rest of the Balkans, Eastern Europe and even parts of Central Europe for those same reasons?
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#332 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:08 pm

poeman wrote:What are they teaching in Greece?

They are teaching us how to work 10 hours a day and get paid for only 4 of them.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
cgf
RealGM

Post#333 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Or maybe he made a joke about you paying your debts because he dislikes watching your team play and so made a rip on the nation they represent...

cgf
RealGM

Post#334 » by cgf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Nuntius wrote:

They are teaching us how to work 10 hours a day and get paid for only 4 of them.

Must be such a mind **** for y'all to work more than 6 hours a day...

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: AW: World Cup Rd. of 16: Costa Rica vs. Greece (June 29t 

Post#335 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Why not?

Yeah, politics don't have anything to do with that. Just watch them play.

Except that they do in your case. I'll quote your own posts from two pages back.

Little Nathan wrote:
Dry_Fish wrote:Suck it greece!

This!

El Belgian wrote:THERE IS GOD

This!!!!

Little Nathan wrote:
Geddy wrote:Pay your debts!

And THIS!

You're going to tell me that "pay your debts" is not a political comment?
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#336 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm

cgf wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Must be such a **** for y'all to work more than 6 hours a day...

Actually, here's an article by The Guardian -> http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... king-hours

Greek people along with Austrians work the most hours in Europe by far. You really have to dust up on your stereotyping :wink:
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#337 » by truth18 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Nuntius wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Do you dislike the rest of the Balkans, Eastern Europe and even parts of Central Europe for those same reasons?

Yes. Some Bundesliga fans included.

Also, the Greek national team just plays a terrible brand of football.
YOU LOSE
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#338 » by Boognish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:20 pm

James Richardson from the Guardian made a joke about Greece's savings failing them after they lost the shootout. It's a joke. Greece is boring to watch, most neutral fans don't enjoy it.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#339 » by El Turco » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:25 pm

if greeks are this sensitive, u.s. should just walk out of the competition with the amount of ribbing they receive.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#340 » by Nuntius » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:28 pm

truth18 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Yes. Some Bundesliga fans included.

Then we'll dislike those people together. Fascism should be fought wherever it appears and a football stadium is no exception to it. That's why I love St. Pauli.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch

Return to The General Soccer Board