Official Manchester United FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: Official Manchester United FC Thread 

Post#261 » by bryant08 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Falcao should absolutely start this one, on the fence over RVP although I'd say yes. Mata likely to be on the bench for this one. Unsure if LVG will go with the 4-4-2 diamond or go more 4-2-3-1 similar to the West Brom match. Was hoping Carrick would be fit enough to start this one alongside Blind but doubt LVG will risk it with it being his first game back from injury.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#262 » by Matty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Rooney still can't play yet so both RVP and Falcao will be starting.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#263 » by Brew666 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Matty wrote:Rooney still can't play yet so both RVP and Falcao will be starting.

Yeah I wouldn't be too surprised to see both starting but LVG has been at least staggering his fwds with Rooney being more of a CF and RVP being a ST. I was thinking they might use Mata in an AM/CF role w/ Falcao up front but I don't think RVP would be happy coming off the bench.

Let's hope Di Maria is healthy enough
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#264 » by Shaazzam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:41 am

So who's a better goalie than de gea?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Brew666
Junior

Post#265 » by Brew666 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:08 pm

That was a big save by De Gea on Hazard but their set pieces failed them again. LVG said after the game that Fellaini, not Rafeal was supposed to be on Drogba.

Overall, happy to come away w/ a point against the league leaders.

Can't wait for the derby!!

Neuer, Courtouis, Lloris are all world class goaltenders that I wouldn't shake a stick at either
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#266 » by Shaazzam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Brew666 wrote:That was a big save by De Gea on Hazard but their set pieces failed them again. LVG said after the game that Fellaini, not Rafeal was supposed to be on Drogba.

Overall, happy to come away w/ a point against the league leaders.

Can't wait for the derby!!

Neuer, Courtouis, Lloris are all world class goaltenders that I wouldn't shake a stick at either

I'd say Neuer is number one, haven't seen enough of the other 2 to judge.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Matty
General Manager

Post#267 » by Matty » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:08 pm

Just when Carrick's returns, Rojo is out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder and Smalling is suspended. We're just not getting any breaks this season.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#268 » by Boognish » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:39 pm

Smalling suspended and Jones, Rojo, Rafael, Evans all injured.

I guess the back four is Shaw/McNair/Carrick/Valencia against Palace, Evans may be fit
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#269 » by SunKing » Tue Nov 4, 2014 3:23 pm

United central defense is literally amazing at being injured all at the same time.
Brew666
Junior

Post#270 » by Brew666 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:22 pm

Makes it really tough to gauge the quality of the back line when there's always someone injured and tough to build chemistry. I have yet to be impressed by this group but they haven't been completely healthy w/ LVG at the helm either.

If 4th spot or higher in the table are still within their grasp come the January, I'd think LVG would like another central defender. Do they go after a short term player or do they look for someone longer term? I'm assuming most quality players won't be available until the summer transfer but I'm sure an upgrade can be found.
Matty
General Manager

Post#271 » by Matty » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:22 pm

Brew666 wrote:Makes it really tough to gauge the quality of the back line when there's always someone injured and tough to build chemistry. I have yet to be impressed by this group but they haven't been completely healthy w/ LVG at the helm either.

If 4th spot or higher in the table are still within their grasp come the January, I'd think LVG would like another central defender. Do they go after a short term player or do they look for someone longer term? I'm assuming most quality players won't be available until the summer transfer but I'm sure an upgrade can be found.

I think just about anybody in the next tranfer would be an upgrade to the defense, healthy or not.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#272 » by Maex » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:29 pm

The thing confusing me the most about United fans is, that they still have so much faith in the next transfer window. The management is more likely to buy Cavani and Özil instead of an actually high quality midfielder or CB.

A reddit user on /r/soccer described it as trying to fix a boat with a hole in the bottom by attaching more sails to the mast, which I thought was quite appropriate. IIRC a United fan replied with the statement "Aquaplaning, b*tch!" :lol:
Brew666
Junior

Post#273 » by Brew666 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 2:24 pm

Maex wrote:The thing confusing me the most about United fans is, that they still have so much faith in the next transfer window. The management is more likely to buy Cavani and Özil instead of an actually high quality midfielder or CB.

A reddit user on /r/soccer described it as trying to fix a boat with a hole in the bottom by attaching more sails to the mast, which I thought was quite appropriate. IIRC a United fan replied with the statement "Aquaplaning, b*tch!" :lol:

My optimism stems from the fact that they have the deep pockets to bring in world class players. No matter how poorly the team has played, there is always the opportunity to bring in an impact player in the next transfer window.

I think Ed Woodward had to make a splash in the summer transfer window. After last year w/ only bringing in Fellaini [and Mata when it was too late], he had to do something even if it meant overpaying.

Reality is, the team had a number of holes not just their d, although it was and remains their biggest need. He was unable to bring in Hummels, Vermaelan, Vidal, Pogba, and other players who would've addressed their defensive needs but was able to sign Shaw, Blind, and Rojo. Rojo, Herrera, and possibly Blind were signed as plan b players. As horrific as their d was, their ability to create in the middle of the pitch was almost as bad. Kagawa and Mata failed to address that need and they overpaid for Di Maria. They bring in Falcao b/c you didn't know what you were going to get out of RVP and they had shipped out Welbeck and Chicharito.

I don't disagree they're attempting to stay a float by attaching more sails, but the store didn't have lumber to fix the boat and it's better to see if more sails will help instead of sinking.
Brew666
Junior

Post#274 » by Brew666 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 2:45 pm

Matty wrote:I think just about anybody in the next tranfer would be an upgrade to the defense, healthy or not.

I'd like to see them bring in a big physical cb. They absolutely need another big body for set pieces. I'm really high on Hummels but would have to wait until the summer for him and that's if he's interested in going to a club that isn't play champions league.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#275 » by Boognish » Wed Nov 5, 2014 4:42 pm

Louis van Gaal not planning to add to Manchester United squad in January
• United manager plans to wait for summer to add signings
• No enthusiasm to sign short-term solutions in winter window

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ed-january

trolololol
Matty
General Manager

Post#276 » by Matty » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:43 pm

Boognish wrote:
Louis van Gaal not planning to add to Manchester United squad in January
• United manager plans to wait for summer to add signings
• No enthusiasm to sign short-term solutions in winter window

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ed-january

trolololol

Transfer window politics. Market takes a blow in value when he comes outs and says that.

He's gonna get a veteran CB in January. It's happening.
Matty
General Manager

Post#277 » by Matty » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:50 am

Who isn't injured at the moment? and why are they not injured yet?
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#278 » by laploutocratie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:58 pm

LOL at Falcao getting a new injury. Please rid of him after this season.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using RealGM Forums mobile app
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#279 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Falcao is having a horrible 2014. Can't catch a break. Ducks for him and United.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Brew666
Junior

Post#280 » by Brew666 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Great win on Saturday! De Gea has been playing unbelievably this year, easily their best player to this point in the season.

In the top 4 and just have to keep it going. Dec 8 v. Southampton should be a good match and hopefully they can get some players back from injury before then

Return to The General Soccer Board