UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,974

Re: UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread 

Post#181 » by Stannis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 pm

No_20 wrote:
Travis Knight wrote:Well Serbia released a statement. And they are not taking much of the responsibility.

I know I'm Albanian, and everyone probably thinks I'm being biased here, but Serbia already has a recent history of this. They forfeited a match against U-21 England for making monkey sounds and yelling the n word to Black English players. They forfeited against Italy for burning flags. And now yesterday.

In New York?
No, I'm not.

Alabama. lol i know..

Though I have a lot of family in New York.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#182 » by Stannis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Hijinks wrote:big teams like germany, netherlands and italy are struggeling, while smaller countries like iceland are winning. i guess it kinda makes sense, that england is on a roll. :lol:

These groups are seriously something else so far. Doesn't look like UEFA's plan is turning out good. Some big teams still might miss the major tournament in 2016 if it goes like this.

Austria is doing great.

N. Ireland beat Greece yesterday, and they currently have 3 wins in the 3 games, while Greece is sitting 2nd to last after their WC run.

Switzerland sitting second to last to last as well in a pretty easy group after their WC run as well.

I'm really happy for Poland, and I hope they keep this up.

And then there's Wales sitting number 1 in their group.

I hope it stays like this, it'd be awesome to see a bunch of different teams in the tournament.
Free Palestine
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#183 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:What Serb would:

1) Care enough about Albanian history to find a map of Greater Albania and those two historical figures
2) Risk severe sanctions against his own national team
3) Risk his life by doing something that stupid in the middle of Belgrade

The Serbian security guards, the Serbian stadium announcer and the Serbian fans in the stadium would, apparently.

But they didn't degrade themselves by flying around a flag of a fictional country that symbolizes the loss of a historically vital land for Serbia which is the point here. If they did that, they might as well leave the country for good. Right now, those people think of themselves as heroes and so do most of the people they know.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Re: AW: UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread 

Post#184 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Foye wrote:I dont know what happened with the drone. But if a simple drone with a flag is enough to cause a punchfest from players, spectators and even security people against the visitor team severe actions need to be taken.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using RealGM Forums mobile app

There is no rational explanation for their behaviour. It's really difficult to explain it to a third party that looks at this from an outsider perspective. I live in the region and am familiar with the situation a bit more. All the nations involved in wars in the 90's are extremely sensitive and sports have always been an outlet for all kinds of frustrations in the Balkans. With Serbs, it's also a mix of brainwashing, poor living standards and bruised egos because of the sanctions they faced and the territories they have lost. In the eyes of the West, they'll always be the bad guys no matter what so they've accepted the villain role and are enjoying it.

But what do I know, I'm not a history major from Canada.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#185 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Travis Knight wrote:I have no doubt that the drone controller was an Albanian. But there isn't any evidence that he is working with the Albania soccer federation. And evidence so far says he is a Macedonian citizen. All I am saying is that Albania can't legally be he'd responsible here for that drone.

Well, Serbian federation was responsible for the burning of the flag in Italy, so there's that.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#186 » by Stannis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
Travis Knight wrote:I have no doubt that the drone controller was an Albanian. But there isn't any evidence that he is working with the Albania soccer federation. And evidence so far says he is a Macedonian citizen. All I am saying is that Albania can't legally be he'd responsible here for that drone.

Well, Serbian federation was responsible for the burning of the flag in Italy, so there's that.
Totally different though. Those Serbian fans were allowed by the Italian federation. They had their own section at the Italian stadium. Meaning the Serbian federation was responsible for those fans at the stadium.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#187 » by Stannis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:What Serb would:

1) Care enough about Albanian history to find a map of Greater Albania and those two historical figures
2) Risk severe sanctions against his own national team
3) Risk his life by doing something that stupid in the middle of Belgrade

The Serbian security guards, the Serbian stadium announcer and the Serbian fans in the stadium would, apparently.

But they didn't degrade themselves by flying around a flag of a fictional country that symbolizes the loss of a historically vital land for Serbia which is the point here. If they did that, they might as well leave the country for good. Right now, those people think of themselves as heroes and so do most of the people they know.

Every Albanian knows "Ethnic Albania" is a pipe dream.

And I actually think non-Albanians take the Ethnic Albania map the wrong way. It's just a symbol that shows we are still one even if one lives in Greece, or Macedonia, or Serbia. Of course Serbia is already trying to turn this into some neo-nazi thing and make it as if the drone was a "terrorist attack".

Regardless of the border outlines on that map, it was still our flag and 2 of our national heroes. And I don't care that our players wanted to get their hands on it before the Serbs did. And I don't understand the Serbs taking offense and running after Balaj after he snatched.

Even without the drone, I honestly think that if Albania managed a draw or even a win, things would have been a lot worse. Serbs already take offense to the ethnic Albania symbolism, and Albania was playing with 7 Kosovar Albanians in the starting 11. That's symbolism enough for the hooligans and guards to break laws.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#188 » by Stannis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Both FA send in their statements. Serbia started off with saying "we should be awarded a 3-0 victory".

UEFA has already charged the teams.

Albania has 2 charges:
- The banner
- Refusing to return to the field

Serbia has 5
- I forgot what they were exactly, but i think most of it has to do with not guaranteeing the safety.

I honestly think Albania can clear those charges rather easily if they got some decent lawyers. They really couldn't do anything about that banner. Same random Albanian that is a citizen of Macedonia is not their responsibility.

Lot of the players were dripping blood and were assaulted on the field while the opponent were undamaged, so UEFA should understand their refusal to continue play. But I'm afraid they won't. And I don't see Albania escalating this to FIFA or some other higher court. UEFA isn't going to apologize to Albania and admit they were wrong, let's be real.
Free Palestine
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#189 » by BadWolf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Travis Knight wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

Every Albanian knows "Ethnic Albania" is a pipe dream.

And I actually think non-Albanians take the Ethnic Albania map the wrong way. It's just a symbol that shows we are still one even if one lives in Greece, or Macedonia, or Serbia. Of course Serbia is already trying to turn this into some neo-nazi thing and make it as if the drone was a "terrorist attack".

Regardless of the border outlines on that map, it was still our flag and 2 of our national heroes. And I don't care that our players wanted to get their hands on it before the Serbs did. And I don't understand the Serbs taking offense and running after Balaj after he snatched.

Even without the drone, I honestly think that if Albania managed a draw or even a win, things would have been a lot worse. Serbs already take offense to the ethnic Albania symbolism, and Albania was playing with 7 Kosovar Albanians in the starting 11. That's symbolism enough for the hooligans and guards to break laws.

it might be a pipe dream for you but it's a very real dream for Kosovo. Thinking the gesture would be seen as anything but straight provocation of the worst kind is naive in that situation. Sure, we from outside can look at it and wonder how it happened, but everyone in Serbia and Albania knew what the reaction would be. doubt it would be much different in Macedonia or Greece for that matter. Tensions are high and all the sides have dirty hands.
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#190 » by fudgie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 am

The map included Kosovo. There is no way that sort of thing was going to not incite a riot in front of a bunch of nationalist ultras.

I think part of the blame goes on the Albanian players for acting aggressively to get the flag, though I'd still place most of the blame on the crowd and organizers. The Serbian player was calmly taking the flag down, not like he dragged it on the ground and was stomping on it. Then a couple Albanian players ran up to take the flag (a bit of shoving too). That set off the crowd invasion. Yeah it's not a huge provocation but the ultras were already whipped into a frenzy.

After the crowd invasion it looked to me like there wasn't enough police there. Ultras have huge influence in the balkans and those guards that aren't with them can easily be intimidated (hey, you won't let my friend in because he's on the banned list, what do you say we pay you a visit at home then, said the giant tattooed scary man). You need actual police officers monitoring the crowd and all entrances at high risk matches.
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#191 » by Doormatt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:23 am

Hijinks wrote:big teams like germany, netherlands and italy are struggeling, while smaller countries like iceland are winning. i guess it kinda makes sense, that england is on a roll. :lol:

how is italy struggling? we might not be playing good football right now but we have a perfect record, have conceded 1 goal, and are only behind croatia on goal difference.
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#192 » by Doormatt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:51 am

the guy that ran onto the pitch with tattoos is this guy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaSTAKFrIn0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m28s[/youtube]

hes supposed to be banned from entering stadiums but he somehow got in and found his way on the pitch lol

honestly does not reflect well on Serbia that their fans keep doing this and they dont do anything to stop it, this guy should be immediately arrested if hes even seen on stadium grounds.
#doorgek
Stannis
RealGM

Post#193 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 am

Free Palestine
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#194 » by Rosque » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 am

But the speaker and fans and players didn't know it contained part of Kosovo. They thought it was normal map of Albania with coats of arms and two national heroes. So all that talk about Great Albania(Velika Albanija) causing riots is a turd.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#195 » by Hijinks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Doormatt wrote:

how is italy struggling? we might not be playing good football right now but we have a perfect record, have conceded 1 goal, and are only behind croatia on goal difference.

i guess, i only saw the one game where chielini saved italy with a late goal against Azerbaijan. and let's not forget only 1-0 against malta.

anyway, it was just to set up the joke, so keep calm.
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#196 » by Boognish » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Doormatt wrote:lol the crowd was literally chanting "Kill, slaughter, so the Albanian doesn't exist"

lol
aviewfromspace
Junior
And1: 263

Post#197 » by aviewfromspace » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Image

dude's like "bitch, please" :lol:
Stannis
RealGM

Post#198 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:22 am

I honestly don't understand the this decision at all:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers ... y+decision
Free Palestine
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#199 » by El Turco » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 am

looks like they found conclusive evidence that drone was controlled by an albanian official. what an idiot.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#200 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:03 am

What a moronic decision. Just have a rematch on a neutral ground without fans.

Return to The General Soccer Board