Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Official Leicester City FC Thread 

Post#701 » by HIF » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Wolves 0 Leicester 4
Leicester 0 Man city 1

We thumped a poor Wolves team who made a lot of chances but had no talent in front of goal and then we lost unluckily to Man city. Maybe we can start looking up the table at last.

V wolves
Ward 7 made a couple of good saves and marshalled a solid defence
Castagne 7 got forward well and covered at the back
Amartey 7.5 really happy for him
Faes 8 A leader who is adapting quickly to the prem.
JJ 7 had his mind switched on defensively against adama, his best match of the season
Soumaré 6 a good game, his best of the season
Maddison 6 nice goal, not involved enough early on
KDH 7.5 linked well with Barnes
Tielemans 8.5 his defensive covering has changed the team and he can pick out a forward pass too.
Barnes 8 terrifies defenders
Daka 5.5 not his best game

Mendy 6.5
Praet 7
Vardy 6
Albrighton 5
Thomas 5

v Man city

We defended stoutly but were undone by a worldie free kick of KDB which went in off the post, seconds later Tielemans hit a screaming volley from a Maddison corner which was deflected onto the bar by an outstretched Ederson. It was the story of 2 bars and could easily have gone the other way. Leicester attacked for the last 20 minutes and outplayed Man city without getting an equaliser.

Ward 8 Excellent game, no chance with the goal
Castagne 6.5 good defending but he's so much more of an attacker down the wing.
Amartey 8 real strong defence today
Faes 8.5 excellent
Soyuncu 6 first match of the season
JJ 7 got forward well and defended excellently
Tielemans 9 world class, defensively superb, passing incredible and that shot deserved to be in.
KDH 5 not his day today and rightly subbed
Maddison 6 worked hard in defence and played some nice forward passes in the last 20 minutes. Should be in the England team, let alone squad.
Barnes 6 terrified Stones but didn't have the final shot to go with it today.
Vardy 5.5 Played as a defensive 9. I think he's now the replacement not the starter.

Daka 7 made a difference
Iheanacho 7.5 could and perhaps should've scored.
Mendy 6.5 his foul gave the free kick but not sure it really was, good match.

Need points from our 2 away matches before the break. Everton is massive!
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#702 » by HIF » Sun Nov 6, 2022 10:15 am

Everton 0 Leicester 2

Back to some great football and a wonderful result. Tielemans (double his salary - or more - and make him captain so that he stays for another 4 years) scored yet another worldie, if anyone missed it a suggest you watch a clip, Maddison got 2 assists and bossed the match, Wardy and Faes got another clean sheet.

It was a high paced, skilful game by two teams who looked pretty good, well one looked excellent, and the match entertained for every minute of the 90+. Leicester moved out of the relegation zone and all the way up to 13th, re-inspiring the fan base. So much good passing and 2 great goals, well worth watching today for those who missed it yesterday.

Ward 8 another clean sheet, a couple of very good saves and a little arm wafting at corners which did the job
Castagne 6 defensively he wasn't the greatest but pressed forward so well
Amartey 7.5 one scare moment, as usual, but otherwise good, commanding in the air and full of Leicester spirit.
Faes 8.5 awesome, covered for everybody, led by example and vocally, what a buy!
JJ 7 good at both ends of the pitch - could he sneak into the England WC squad with all these LB injuries?
Soumaré 6. Four or 5 terrible moments in the first half but improved and helped the team going forward
Tielemans 8.5 he is so wonderful playing in the deeper defensive role, he intelligently covers for his teammates and plays stunning forward passes, his goal was incredible. He could take the world cup by storm.
KDH 7 worked hard, made some beautiful long passes and linked continually with Barnes and JJ
Maddison 9 he was a miracle worker every time he got the ball, control, dribbling, passing. 2 assists and very nearly a goal to go with it. Sure to be in the England squad but will southgate play him? Probably not.
Barnes 8 terrorised the Everton defence without finding his shooting boots until the last few minutes. Should be in the england squad but won't be.
Daka 5 not his day today, great movement and anticipation but missed a few shots that normally he'd have found the net with. He could have had this match wrapped up early.

Vardy 5.5 kept the pressure on their passers at the end of the match
N'didi 6.5 he's the better option at CDM, I'd like to see him alongside Youri.
Albrighton 5 late on, kept Leicester cool
Mendy 5 not enough time

Brendan 8.5 had a good match and is starting to get Leicester where they need to be if he is to stay in his position next season.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#703 » by Baphomet » Sun Nov 6, 2022 6:30 pm

I watched it. Leicester were rampant and Maddison was running the show.

It feels like Tielemans is holding his own personal goal of the season tournament. What a strike.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,279

Post#704 » by Shaazzam » Mon Nov 7, 2022 3:28 pm

read this so checked out the goals
wowzers tealemons
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
HIF
RealGM

Post#705 » by HIF » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:27 am

No goal of the month for Tielemans - incredible!

HIF
RealGM

Post#706 » by HIF » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:48 am

Merry christmas everyone.

So the Premier league is finished until boxing day and Leicester went out with a bang.

West Ham 0 Leicester 2

West Ham is not usually a good hunting ground for us and they have a team full of underrated talent. However they are going through a goal scoring confidence drought and thankfully that continued yesterday. Both teams came in on the same number of points but with Leicester on a massive upswing and despite there only being 3 points difference between the two teams after the match they enter the enforced break in very different moods.

Leicester started well and deservedly took the lead when that man Maddison scored his 7th of the season, shortly after he was on the floor, holding his leg and then limping off (I think it was more to be okay for the WC than a real injury though). For the rest of the first half West Ham dominated the match but defensive heroics by several Leicester players kept the foxes ahead. No Leicester fan felt confident going into HT and the first 10 minutes of the second half didn't help ease that feeling. Rodgers decided to shore up the midfield by bringing a second CDM - N'Didi - in for Tielemans and this helped turn the tide. 3 more changes at 69 minutes switched the match back in favour of Leicester and a great second goal finished off a West Ham team that were much better than the scoreline suggests. Rice & Benrahma were particularly good. However Barnes who had again been terrifying Kehrer throughout the match eventually got the second goal and Leicester coasted to a position in the league which didn't look likely only a month ago.

Ward 8.5 Some great saves and simply the ability to leave his line gives the defence confidence. Getting batter and better.
Castagne 5.5 a poor game defensively from Timmy but decent going forward of course
Amartey 9 an outstanding game from the Ghanaian, he won everything in the air and the heart on his sleeve pumped furiously.
Faes 8.5 his mere presence has transformed the defence. He leads vocally and by example (Who is Wes fofana?)
Thomas 8 The young lad has been thrust back into the first team because of the long term injuries to Ricardo and now JJ (out for the season again). As last year he excelled when he needed too - we just need to watch he doesn't get too tired.
Soumaré 7.5 The best I've seen him for Leicester, apart from losing the ball (twice) in dangerous circumstances he looked decent defensively and he linked very well with the attack with a couple of glorious through balls.
Tielemans 5 an unusally poor day for Youri and rightfully replaced
Maddison 6.5 great goal but only 20 minutes of wonderful football.
KDH 7 everywhere as always
Barnes 8.5 electric, fast, threatening and another goal.
Daka 7 good but not quite on his goalscoring game.

Praet 7 solid
Mendy 6.5 decent
N'didi 7.5 good
Perez 7 didn't give the ball away much and had a good assist.
Vardy 7 maintained pressure without looking like scoring.

Brendan 8.5 made the changes that were needed (and we won)

So now it's 5 weeks without football until the league cup match against MK Dons and 6 weeks till the return of the prem. What state will the players be in by then? Certainly the momentum we've built recently will have dissipated, hopefully Brendan can get that back with the league Cup game.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#707 » by Baphomet » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Here's one for HIF. My uncle (big Leicester fan) gave me a Leicester vs. Spurs matchday program from 1976 a few weeks ago. Bit of a blast from the past, check out those squads!

HIF
RealGM

Post#708 » by HIF » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:40 am

Love it, I was there.

HIF
RealGM

Post#709 » by HIF » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:08 am

MKdons 0 Leicester 3
Leicester 0 Newcastle 3
Liverpool 2 Leicester 1

The year ends in depressing fashion and the need for a number of high quality signings is obvious. 6 players starting against Liverpool were simply low premier standard players and if that stays the same then Leicester will be fighting relegation for the rest of the season. I can't see them being relegated but it's possible, the reason that I can't see it is that at least 12 (and of the 20 teams in the premier league are equally inconsistent and poor this year.

The one good result happened before Christmas when Leicester easily beat MK Dons and qualified for the last 8 of the League cup, the bad news is that they play away to Newcastle in that fixture, the team who embarrassed them in Leicester on Boxing day. In one of the worst Leicester performances of the year, they were humiliated 3-0 at home by a Newcastle team who were not outstanding but who wanted it so much more. I can't see this Newcastle team making top 4 (despite them sitting second) unless they get 3 or 4 class players in (rumours of Maddison and Tielemans are a good start) but they are certainly good enough to make Europe and definitely good enough to knock Leicester out of the cup and progress to the semi-finals. So following that humiliation at home I expected a record walloping by Liverpool at anfield last night. imagine my surprise when we scored and didn't allow Liverpool to score but of course we lost anyway. Thanks to 2 Faes own goals, neither of which was necessary. Leicester are a mess but what does that say about Liverpool who were bullied and outplayed and whose defence looked as fragile as a thin glass fragile thing.

Against Dons

Ward 6
Castagne 6
Amartey 6
Faes 6
Thomas 8
Tielemans 7
Soumaré 6
Praet 7
Perez 6
Barnes 7
Vardy 7.5

Nacho 6
Daka 6
Albrighton 5
Alves 5
McAteer 6.5

Against Newcastle

Ward 5
Castagne 4
Amartey 3
Faes 4.5
Thomas 5
Soumaré 2
Tielemans 4.5
Praet 4
KDH 5
Barnes 2.5
Daka 2

Perez 3
Vardy 5
N'Didi 6
Nacho 5

Against Liverpool

Ward 5
Castagne 4
Amartey 5
Faes 1
Thomas 5
Soumaré 3
N'Didi 4
KDH 7
Perez 4
Barnes 2
Daka 3

Vardy 4.5
Tielemans 5
Nacho 4

HIF
RealGM

Post#710 » by HIF » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:09 am

There are a number of players who will be out of contract at the end of the season and more who will be entering their final 12 months, so the question is; Who should leave this January?

In the goalkeeping department there won’t be much movement. Both Danny Ward and Daniel Iversen are contracted to 2025. Ward maybe an upgrade on a diminishing Kasper but he doesn’t fill me with confidence and the fact that Brendan prefers him to Iversen doesn’t speak in Iversen’s favour either. Summertime might see some movement but definitely not in January.

In defence, injuries, loss of form and end of contracts means we should hope to see movement. Bertrand’s contract is up in June and if he wasn’t injured, I’m sure we’d just let him walk, now. As it is he’ll stay and collect his cheque, not play, and retire in June. The oft injured Evans and the unwanted Soyuncu both have contracts that expire in June, as does our surprise hero Dan Amartey. Dan should be offered and accept a new contract. He certainly won’t be leaving in January. Jonny will probably get another year offered but can we count on more than 10 games from him? Unlikely. Caglar is the mystery of the year, a hugely talented defender with confidence issues who is clearly at loggerheads with Brendan. He’s made it clear he’s leaving, so we may as well do that now, save a little salary and free up a squad place for someone that Brendan will actually play. As far as other defenders are concerned Vestergaard’s contract expires in 2024 and we should happily let him go to anyone who’ll take him at any price. Albrighton (2024) may get another year for his experience, but we should be hoping that he isn’t needed for pitch-time. Thomas (2024) should get an extension. Castagne (2025) is a mainstay, Ricardo and JJ (both 2026) will be around, but how much will they play? The last 2 years have seen them less on the pitch than in the stands, injured. With the sale of Fofana and the purchase of Faes at the beginning of the season, it’s clear that CB and LB/RB should be a priority for Leicester and both a “must” for January incomings, preferably a buy and not a loan (which is more suitable for other positions).

Midfield is a conundrum for the supporters but maybe the management know better. The big question is Youri. Will he stay or will he go? I’ve not hidden the fact that I think we need him badly. He is the team commander, not only a great architect but a hard-working defender and a scoring threat. I’d double (or triple) his wages and make him permanent captain if that meant he’d stay. I understand that he wants European football, but we need him. Unless we get a blow away offer in January (35m+) then I would let him run down his contract and take the hit in June. He’s worth far more on the pitch to us for the next 6 months than 15 or 20m. Having said all of that even if he goes, I don’t think midfield should be our priority – that’s defence. We have a wealth of talented midfielders and paying 45m for the latest “Moroccan wunderkind” is not necessary in my opinion. Maddison is the player who could step into Youri’s shoes easiest. Madders is a better dribbler of the ball and sees potential assists as well as Youri, yes, he’d need to improve his inconsistent defence, but he's shown a remarkable progression defensively in the last 12 months and I believe that could continue, he is also more of a CM than a RW anyway. Of course, he may also be on his way with rumours of “football giants” willing to make big offers, and with his contract expiring in 2024 it may be that the management would prefer to cash in our extraordinary talent whilst the price is high. Even if that is so I don’t think they’ll do it this January, though summer may be an option. We also have KDH with a contract till 2027 and Praet (2024) in our midfield, I can’t see KDH leaving and despite lots of transfer interest in Dennis and Brendan’s reluctance to play him (because of our congested talent), reasonable offers never seem to materialise. Personally, I hope we keep him, he is a tireless and clever player, an upgraded Marc Albrighton, who has never been given the run he deserves. Having said that I can see him going in January, if as rumours suggest, Leicester are lining up midfield purchases.

At CDM we have 3 players fighting over 1 place. Brendan Rodgers seems to prefer Bouba Soumaré and he clearly sees something that many fans see in him. I’ve not hidden the fact that I’ve been very disappointed in him. I thought he was a great purchase from France, at the time, but defensively and awareness wise I find him out of his depth in the premier league. I agree he can make a good forward run now and again but that is not my priority for a CDM (though I wish we did it more). If anything, I see him as a more attacking midfielder and he could possibly step in for Youri – though not in the same capacity – bringing something different to the midfield. I feel he weakens our team defensively, but whatever the case it’s certain he will not be leaving in January. At the moment he has replaced Wilfred N’Didi, who has a contract until June 2024, If Brendan has really decided Wilf isn’t his player anymore then I’m sure we’ll easily get a sale, I can’t believe that will be happening in January though. I’d suggest there is a bigger possibility that Brendan moves Wilf into the back 4 as a partner for Faes rather than sell him. Potentially he could be a very good CB but he’d need a summer of pure CB training before that should be considered. Our third CDM is the unfortunate Papy Mendy. Back from a successful World cup, Papy will, as always, be looking at alternative clubs, knowing that he isn’t going to get starting minutes ever at Leicester. He is an excellent, progressive, defensive midfielder but his lack of height has hurt him given our defensive frailties. He’ll continue to come in and do a good job if needed but with his contract expiring in June, he’s sure to go elsewhere and it may be better to do it now than wait until June. Chances are though that he sees out his contract. We also have a number of good young players coming through in midfield including Braybrooke and Alves and of course we still have Hamza Choudhury out on loan.

Finally the attack. We have a number of options which we rarely use at the moment and of course we have our glaring hole at RW. Going out? Well, we have Ayoze Perez whose contract expires in June. He doesn’t fit, is clearly unhappy to not play but happy to take his high wages and is always rumoured to be interested in and of interest to Spanish clubs. I have no doubt this will finally happen, possibly in January, definitely in June. I hope he is allowed to leave for free next week and we can move on from a failed experiment. On top of that we have Jamie and Kels contracted to June 2024. Vards is going nowhere and could easily pick up another year’s extension, Kels should, in his own best interest, go somewhere else, but I don’t think he will. In fact, I could see him accepting a contract extension and continuing to be a backup striker for a few years yet. Harvey Barnes is contracted to June 2025 and hopefully we’ll lock him up for longer in the summer. He’s going nowhere at the moment. Patson is contracted to June 2026 and should be the man who finally replaces Jamie. Again, he's going nowhere.

So, in summary, definitely out in January: Soyuncu. Unlikely to play for us again but sees out contract: Bertrand. Should be gone but probably waits until the summer: Vestergaard and Perez. Stays until summer and plays a little: Mendy and Praet. Gets an extension: Evans, Amartey and Albrighton. Stays, plays, leaves in the summer: Tielemans. Discussions in the summer: everyone else. As many as six players could leave in January, but I think it’ll be two or three, with three coming in (1 or 2 bought, 1 or 2 loaned).

HIF
RealGM

Post#711 » by HIF » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:12 am

After watching the Liverpool match last night I have to say that we need to upgrade GK,CB,CDM,LB, RW immediately and find a solution to our striker situation if we're going to continue to play with 1. I'd also like Brendan replaced which may help with improving other areas.

HIF
RealGM

Post#712 » by HIF » Sun Jan 8, 2023 1:57 pm

FA Cup
Gillingham 0 Leicester 1

Yeah! Mighty Leicester managed to squeak past the team at the bottom of League 2, a team that have only scored 7 goals all season.

tbf we have 8 players out injured and we rested most of our other starters, the weather was windy and we were playing at a **** ground but nevertheless, it wasn't a great performance.

The back 5 was completely changed to backups/youth players and only Vardy and Tielemans were true first team players. We kept the ball, passed it around at the back for long periods, got it wide and made poor crosses and rarely got a shot in for the first half. The second half we took control, scored in the first 15 minutes and then saw the match out.

Iversen 7 Did nothing wrong, made a couple of saves, distributed well.I'd like to see him get a prem start.
Albrighton 5.5 had little to do defensively, made a couple of decent crosses
Brunt 6.5 Had a decent first start, little to do defensively, eager to attack and cross but not so accurate with his crosses.
Vestergaard 5 he's still here. Can somebody please buy him or take him for free.
Soyuncu 6 Sure to be gone in the summer, I guess Brendan played him to keep Amartey and Faes injury free
McAteer 6 good energy, good effort, plenty to learn but was a plus.
Mendy 6 if only he was a foot taller he'd be a great CDM
Tielemans 6 not his best game considering the opposition, expected more but he did nothing wrong.
Perez 3 Waste of space, please go to Spain.
Iheanacho 6 because he scored the goal, but control is either great or terrible and often in the same play, missed a lot of great passes which should have been converted.
Vardy 6 Has he lost it? Probably but still a defensive presence up the pitch and a name to frighten goalies.

HIF
RealGM

Post#713 » by HIF » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 am

Newcastle 2 Leicester 0 LEAGUE CUP QuARTER FINAL

I believe that Leicester should make the last 8 of the FA cup and League cup and finish in the top 8 of the prem to be a successful season. I've said that for a few seasons.

We made the last 8 of the League cup and were beaten by the better team. I can't really complain. Newcastle have simply leapfrogged us and are the better team. they've done this without exploiting their very rich owners so far and that's due to canny buys. Leicester have done the opposite with some poor buys (in the Rodgers era) and are suffering the consequences with the real possibility of a relegation battle our their hands. Trippier v Bertrand, Burn & Botman v Vestergaard & Faes, Guimaraes & Willock v Soumaré, Isak & Wood v Daka. Which would you choose?

As for the match. Leicester had many more chances than normal, Newcastle wasted some wonderful opportunities and should have won by more goals.

Ward 7 his best match for a long time
Castagne 5.5 disappeared recently
Amartey 6 how can he be our best CB?
Faes 5.5 going through a rough patch (or is this his level)
Thomas 5 hung out to dry down the left
N'Didi 5 doesn't seem to know his tole on the pitch at the moment
Tielemans 6.5 Decent but not good enough to go to Arsenal or Newcastle.
Albrighton 5.5, he hits some nice early crosses but his defence isn't good enough. How is he even starting?
Perez 1 I really want him gone, not starting
Barnes 2 Has dropped off a cliff
Daka 4.5 lost his confidence

Vardy 5.5 missed a golden opportunity with is first touch, made and missed a chance with his second. Has he lost his edge?
Nacho 3 back to the invisible Nacho man.
Mendy 6 did more in his few minutes than most on the pitch.
Rodgers 1 Get rid.

Next up it's Forest. easily the most important game of the season so far. A win and we still have hope, a loss and it's the end of the world.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#714 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:40 am

Would Barnes be available for sale?
I really like him.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#715 » by HIF » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:59 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Would Barnes be available for sale?
I really like him.

He's going through a rough few games but I hope he's our starter for the next 5 years.

HIF
RealGM

Post#716 » by HIF » Sun Mar 5, 2023 9:51 am

I've stayed away from writing here for a few weeks as I realise that my posts are all the same. Full of depression and frustration and not helpful to anyone here but I can see I'm leaking into the general board and taking my feelings out on teams whose supporters should be on top of the world like Arsenal and ManU. So a quick (probably not) comment.

We have been terrible all season. We have a good team of players and a few exceptional players and we should be fighting for a place in the conference league at least, however as it stands today we are 3 points from relegation, and 3 points from the bottom of the league. I'm not frustrated and depressed because we are in a relegation battle, most of my life Leicester have been in relegation/promotion battles. I've seen my team relegated 9 times and promoted 8 times and to be clear I was always as happy following them in the lower division as I was in the top division. My problem this season is that we shouldn't be in this position. we have a top half of the league squad, many of whom won the FA Cup recently. What do I think is wrong?

Simple. We are being mismanaged. I really didn't want to criticise the ownership, we have one of the best in the league but Top is not his father. Top's heart is in the right place, he wants Leicester to succeed and he's willing to put money where his heart is but unfortunately he is too nice and wants to be liked, he thinks that loyalty is common, as opposed to uncommon, in football and he' has made a lot of bad decisions for nice reasons. Vichai was just as nice and equally behind Leicester but he understood the difference between friendship and football business. He fired Ranieri within months of him leading us to the greatest feat we'll ever manage. There is no way that Brendan Rodgers would have been in place after twice letting 4th place slip from our grasp and he certainly would have been long gone this season.

I don't want you to think that I'm blaming this all on Brendan or even that I don't think he's a good manager. The football club have made some very bad financial decisions over the last few years. We started by paying the title winners too much as compensation after our success and then compounded this by some very bad recruitment. In turn we paid these new players ridiculous wages in-line with our title champions and dug a hole for ourselves which we are having problems getting out of.

I don't know how much participation Rodgers had in the recruitment (though hopefully a lot) and I can't blame him for the salaries especially not when we see how much he is earning himself (more than Ancelotti, one of the top in the world). This mismanagement led to us being unable to freshen up a strong squad and being unable to move on players like Bertrand, Vestergaard and Perez; Even then he still has a world class squad which should be in the top half of the table and challenging for Europe.

Rodgers is a manager with a system. it worked pretty well for us at first but has now stalled badly and he is unable to deviate from his system. He is not a manager who can work on the fly or adapt either in-game or between matches. His system is an "attacking" system or rather a one touch triangular passing system which works it's way down the sides of the pitch and into the box. It is intricate and relies on great passing, movement and control - it is similar to the Man City model used by Pep. The WBs play high and the CBs move up the field to reduce exposure. It is fun to watch when it works and requires high level of skill throughout the team. The weakness is that it is pass intensive and shots are relatively rare as the team almost walks the ball into the goal, it also leaves the CBs exposed and with such a high line required balls over the top and fast breaks are very dangerous.

Players like Tielemans and Maddison are integral for this system but a player like Vardy is badly underused. Furthermore WBs are attackers so CBs have to be incredible players, they not only need to be able to pass and set up the system but they have to be able to cover the opposition single handedly. Our CBs can pass well, when they have the time, but they do not have the speed to defend on the halfway line and get back to cover the likes of Rashford and Saka and St.Max and olise etc... especially when you consider how badly we've been at set pieces (a natural consequence of selecting passing attacking CBs as opposed to set piece defenders). Castagne, Ricardo, JJ and the other WBs are great at getting forward and helping the attack but they are then not in position to help with the defence. This is complicated further by Brendan's need for a CDM who can pass and move as opposed to a tackler and attack stopper. N'Didi was one of the best CDMs in the world but he couldn't pass forward, Rodgers told him if he wanted to play he had to, now he's lost, not sure of what he must do. Soumaré can play forward but he's slow and has no awareness of opposition players. Mendy can pass forward but he's small and unable to help in the air. At RW we've not had a decent player since Mahrez and let me promise you Tete is not the answer, he looks lightweight and poor (in fact Ricardo would be a better RW). We need a RW so that Maddison can play in the 10 slot, where he is a magician. Our squad is really a squad that should have no wingers and 2 up front. Vardy and Nacho are a great complement, as they have shown in the past, but they are never played together because that is not Brendan's system. he plays with 1 attacker who isn't really an attacker. More of a defender up front to apply pressure.

And this is the final problem with Brendan's system. It needs pressure on the ball when out of possession. when we work as a team doing that we are magnificent. Youri, KDH, N'Didi/Mendy, Madders, Vardy all press well but we can't keep players fit at Leicester and the rest of the squad have little idea how to press. If one fails it all fails.

I've gone on for long enough and I'm nowhere near finished. In short, we have persisted too long with Brendan, we are in a dogfight that he and we are not equipped for and we need a manager who shows passion on the sidelines, not one who spends his time writing notes on a pad. Sadly TOP has left it too late to get a good manager. They may have been interested last season or even in the summer but now we are a little club again with small horizons and we'll only interest second/third tier managers or young guys with potential from lower divisions. If I were top I'd fire Brendan and get in a passionate guy just until the end of the season. I'd hope for a new manager bounce and survive to re-group in the summer. I'd look for the best manager I can to take over once we are safe - with a week to go or immediately at the end of the season and then put everything into next season. I had hoped for a top line manager, I realise that plane has flown. Now I'd be interested in the woman who managed England's women's team. It'd keep us in the public eye and also show us to be the innovative, forward thinking club that players should try if they want to succeed in the new world order.

Chelsea up next.

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#717 » by Baseline81 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 1:06 pm

I recall asking you in early February if the players had tuned Rodgers out. You didn't think so. And maybe they still haven't but, clearly, Rodgers, as you point out, has stayed far beyond his expiration date.

As a Liverpool fan, I empathize with you.
HIF
RealGM

Post#718 » by HIF » Sun Mar 5, 2023 4:09 pm

Baseline81 wrote:I recall asking you in early February if the players had tuned Rodgers out. You didn't think so. And maybe they still haven't but, clearly, Rodgers, as you point out, has stayed far beyond his expiration date.

As a Liverpool fan, I empathize with you.

I don't think they've tuned him out. I think they are doing exactly what he's asking, but that is what's wrong.

MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#719 » by MetalFingaz » Sun Mar 5, 2023 9:59 pm

You're definitely in a tough spot but I can't see this team going down with the other teams around you. Perhaps something to be said for a European hangover.
It's time for 5 refs.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#720 » by MetalFingaz » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:15 pm

Leicester a bit lucky to not have 3 players sent off...
It's time for 5 refs.

Return to The General Soccer Board