How Good would the US National Team's "true" A team be.

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Re: How Good would the US National Team's "true" A team be. 

Post#21 » by freethedevil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:30 am

Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
get real dude

-Huh? Why are we using all time trophy counts.?We're comparing the leagues current quality. And we have a large sample of data telling us that even preseason mls teams are competitive with midseason liga mex ones. MLS's record vs liga mex over the last three tourneys has been two games below .500. Why would we ignore that in favor of a all time comaprison over a small sample of teams? Especially considering that mls operates under a parity forcing salary cap, and liga mex does not? If liga mex was a much better league than mls, than recent results would show a dominant record for their top teams vs mls preseason teams. What results show, is mls teams far from their peaks going toe to toe with liga mex teams near peak form.

MLS youngsters have generated far more interest than liga mex ones from abroad, while liga mex has started doing the mls thing off importing over the hill foreign talent. During the last cycle liga mex youngsters were more frequently being signed by european clubs, now mls ones are. Incidentally, the american player pool has far more talent playing at higher levels. Liga mex has developed nobody of note recently outside of alvares and lainez. Last season alone, MLS sent alphonso davies to bayern, and tyler adams to rb lezpig with dc united nearly sending acosta to PSG. There's no viable explanation for Mexico having little to no talent outside of liga mex outside of them just not being good enough for top level clubs

A mls team has not won since 2000, thats 20 years ago.

Read this time:
And we have a large sample of data telling us that even preseason mls teams are competitive with midseason liga mex ones. MLS's record vs liga mex over the last three tourneys has been two games below .500.

Since mls teams have started using tam three years ago, they have played roughly even with liga mex ones. We're assessing team quality, not prestige, winning a ccl would not magically make a mid-table mls team's players better, so why should we care?

If I was you, I'd google "sample size".
have not had a finalist since 2011 10 years ago.

Literally lost on penalties two ccl's ago in tourney where mls went 5-2 vs liga mex ones. If mexico is much better can you explain how liga mex won less than half the games preseason mls sides won?

:roll:

Current holders of the gold cup? mexico ( 4 wins on the last ten years vs 2 usa wins)

Do you ever read what you respond to? I want you to take a good look at the op again and come back to me when you have a relevant response:
Lineup:
Horvath
Yedlin——Brooks———Miazga (or C.V) --Ant. Robinson (hopefully Dest)
-———-Adams————McKennie
Holmes————-Pulisic——————Weah
-————————Sargent

Reserves:
Ike, Brown, Sabbi, Morris, Long, Steffen, Green, Gonzales, Morales, Pomyakal, Toji, Miles Robinson

Fringe:
Hyndman, Robinson, Miles Robinson, Kaief, Ream, Joel Sonora, Novak

Tactics:
Jesse Marsch's RB Salzburg

Note how the team is completely different and uses completely different tactics from the gold cup team or the wcq team? This is a hypothetical. You can brag about mexico's federation being better run elsewhere.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 720

Post#22 » by DCRYsing89 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:Just my opinion, USA suffers same problem as England and Australia IMO,
To committed to to many sports.

The English play what else exactly? Rugby? Golf? :wink:

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.

Rugby League (top 3)
Rugby Union (Top 4)
Cricket (Top 4)
Football
Golf
Tennis
Cycling
I think I may be forgetting some...
But that’s still a large pool their athletic population gets distributed between.

Edit: I realised I didn’t address your second point.

This is exactly what I am saying,
English best athletes go to a mix of sports,
Same With Aussie and American,

America’s is the most visible, because of the level of athlete they have in the big leagues.
But England and Australia suffer similar problems...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#23 » by Jaivl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 pm

With all due respect, the difference is negligible. You suck no matter what.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,309

Post#24 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:24 pm

Was listening to ESPN FC podcast and they had on a guy who covers the Bundesliga to talk about Bayern vs. Borossia Dortmund which is loaded with young talent.

They were talking about Haaland comparing him to Lewandowski, having that kind of potential.

They said Dortmund have the best Norwegian player, the best American player.

That was surprising, 17 year old Reyna already better than Pulisic who’s been making some waves at Chelsea?

But sounds like these players have higher ceilings than Dempsey, Donovan.

Maybe the USMNT will qualify for WC.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,474

Post#25 » by Foye » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 am

wco81 wrote:Was listening to ESPN FC podcast and they had on a guy who covers the Bundesliga to talk about Bayern vs. Borossia Dortmund which is loaded with young talent.

They were talking about Haaland comparing him to Lewandowski, having that kind of potential.

They said Dortmund have the best Norwegian player, the best American player.

That was surprising, 17 year old Reyna already better than Pulisic who’s been making some waves at Chelsea?

But sounds like these players have higher ceilings than Dempsey, Donovan.

Maybe the USMNT will qualify for WC.

Nah. He is not better than Pulisic right now. A better talent probably, though.

Haaland is a beast, though. I think he is at 35 goals in 35 games for Dortmund in 2020.
mar1eypeacek1d
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by mar1eypeacek1d » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:12 pm

$occer=1
DCRYsing89
Starter

Post#27 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:Just my opinion, USA suffers same problem as England and Australia IMO,

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play American Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.

English play (at a high level): Football, Cricket, Rugby League and Union, Cricket, Feild Hockey and Netball...

The US domestic league is better than a fair few countries who produce better nation teams...
As you said the best athletes plays other sport...
Thus the commitment to those sports hurt the football team

Foye

Post#28 » by Foye » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:25 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play American Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.

English play (at a high level): Football, Cricket, Rugby League and Union, Cricket, Feild Hockey and Netball...

The US domestic league is better than a fair few countries who produce better nation teams...

I don't think the fact the US domestic league being better than a few other countries leagues (simply because of the foreigners coming to the US for their farewell tour) supports the argument the argument that the US NT would be elite if more people cared about football.
DCRYsing89
Starter

Post#29 » by DCRYsing89 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 am

Foye wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The English play what else exactly? Rugby? Golf? :wink:

I don't think the fact the US domestic league being better than a few other countries leagues (simply because of the foreigners coming to the US for their farewell tour) supports the argument the argument that the US NT would be elite if more people cared about football.

More people Interested means More participation, leading to a bigger talent pool, and more money.
A bigger talent pool to draw from means you will get more extremely gifted players.
And more money gets cycled through increasing the lure of becoming a elite in that discipline.

The improving domestic league product though is one way to garner more interest.

robbo1010
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#30 » by robbo1010 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:07 pm

i think a correct question for US natonal team, no joke, is how bad could they be. I think that is a more realistic way to approach soccer for a while.

You are looking over at teams in south america, europe and various other places that have a huge, more organised, better coached soccer system and you guys just get the odd good player through.

As soon as 1 more good player comes thru US folks think that will push them over the edge. top 10-20 nations have these players come through weekly and it is still tough for them to put things together.

1-2 elite players is not something to base any hope on tbh.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#31 » by HIF » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:17 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:
Foye wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:English play (at a high level): Football, Cricket, Rugby League and Union, Cricket, Feild Hockey and Netball...

More people Interested means More participation, leading to a bigger talent pool, and more money.
A bigger talent pool to draw from means you will get more extremely gifted players.
And more money gets cycled through increasing the lure of becoming a elite in that discipline.

The improving domestic league product though is one way to garner more interest.

China to win the next world cup then.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye

Post#32 » by Foye » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:28 am

HIF wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Wouldn't be so sure.

It will be the best game played ever between China and India.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#33 » by HIF » Wed Dec 2, 2020 8:48 am

Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:More people Interested means More participation, leading to a bigger talent pool, and more money.

Wouldn't be so sure.

:lol:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye

Post#34 » by Foye » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:21 am

HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:

Wouldn't be so sure.

:lol:

Think I am going to have to buy a popcorn machine to watch this one.

Return to The General Soccer Board