Racism in commentary of matches

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Racism in commentary of matches 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:54 pm

Beautiful game, ugly commentary.

Researchers from RunRepeat sampled 80 games from the 2019-20 seasons of the English Premier League, French Ligue 1, Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga — broadcast across seven different networks1 — and analyzed more than 2,000 statements made by commentators about 643 unique players. The study included 1,361 comments about players with lighter skin and 713 comments about players with darker skin.2 The study found that, weighting for the different number of comments made about each group, players with lighter skin were praised more frequently for their intelligence (62.6 percent of the comments coded as positive were about players with lighter skin), work ethic (60.4 percent) and overall quality (62.8 percent), while 63.3 percent of criticism about a player’s intelligence was aimed at players with darker skin, along with 67.6 percent of criticism about a player’s quality.

The study also found that players with darker skin were often reduced to racist tropes about their speed and strength, which is often coded by commentators as “pace and power.”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/soccer-commentary-is-full-of-coded-racism/
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,475

Re: Racism in commentary of matches 

Post#2 » by Foye » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:50 pm

Incredible that someone has the time to view 80 games and seemingly gets paid for it.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#3 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:54 pm

Really?
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:38 am

wco81 wrote:Beautiful game, ugly commentary.

Researchers from RunRepeat sampled 80 games from the 2019-20 seasons of the English Premier League, French Ligue 1, Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga — broadcast across seven different networks1 — and analyzed more than 2,000 statements made by commentators about 643 unique players. The study included 1,361 comments about players with lighter skin and 713 comments about players with darker skin.2 The study found that, weighting for the different number of comments made about each group, players with lighter skin were praised more frequently for their intelligence (62.6 percent of the comments coded as positive were about players with lighter skin), work ethic (60.4 percent) and overall quality (62.8 percent), while 63.3 percent of criticism about a player’s intelligence was aimed at players with darker skin, along with 67.6 percent of criticism about a player’s quality.

The study also found that players with darker skin were often reduced to racist tropes about their speed and strength, which is often coded by commentators as “pace and power.”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/soccer-commentary-is-full-of-coded-racism/

I think this is true across all sports really that require some type of athleticism.

It's definitely prevalent in both Basketball & American Football commentary. White guys in Basketball are almost always described as "skilled" & typically are thought of as "High IQ" players if they're successful.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#5 » by HIF » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:06 am

Isn't the report in itself racist?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#6 » by aggerrard » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:50 pm

Isn't a know fact that black people in general are faster than white people, so where are the racist in saying Mané, Traore etc are fast and strong?

Have to be careful we don't create a culture, where commentators can't critisize a player bacause of his skincolor - and can't describe him and praise him with certain words.
wco81
RealGM

Post#7 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:15 pm

I don't watch futbol as much as others. But when you see for instance a lot of international competitions or Champions League matches, the fans will often accuse Latin (both Southern European and South American) or African countries of simulation. They're proud of the physical play of the EPL because simulation isn't as tolerated as in other leagues.

In the NBA, it's international players usually who are accused of flopping.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,342

Post#8 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:21 pm

aggerrard wrote:Isn't a know fact that black people in general are faster than white people, so where are the racist in saying Mané, Traore etc are fast and strong?

Have to be careful we don't create a culture, where commentators can't critisize a player bacause of his skincolor - and can't describe him and praise him with certain words.

I look at it a little differently, rather than being concerned about how commentators need to be careful on their criticism I'd rather focus on expanding on what visible minorities are praised for. Like the article said, Mane may be a generational genius and yet it seems his talents aren't characterized as such.

This is some deep-seeded, sub-consious stuff in my opinion emphasizing a change in the recognition of positive attributes would have a stronger impact on the issue as a whole. Additionally, by focusing on positives it limits the impacts of those that don't see this as an issue because it lessens their ability to defend the status quo.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#9 » by KG Leonard » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:00 pm

aggerrard wrote:Isn't a know fact that black people in general are faster than white people, so where are the racist in saying Mané, Traore etc are fast and strong?

Mane isn't generic English player with only speed, his world class technical ability, dribbling, goalscoring that would be hailed as technical genius if he was white European player or light skinned South American like Messi.

Of course the commentators are as racist as the rest of society is about black athletes, it is not surprising. That has nothing to with critics of a certain player.

Your comment about black people sounds like we are Afro-American sprinters or Jamaican sprinters. East Africa I'm from has high altitude, tradition of long distance runners who dominate that the sport. Trust me they are skinny runner who isn't the fast, huge muscles blacks you thinking of. It is as silly as saying all whites are big,heavy like Canadian ice hockey players.....
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by aggerrard » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:52 pm

KG Leonard wrote:

Mane isn't generic English player with only speed, his world class technical ability, dribbling, goalscoring that would be hailed as technical genius if he was white European player or light skinned South American like Messi.

Of course the commentators are as racist as the rest of society is about black athletes, it is not surprising. That has nothing to with critics of a certain player.

Your comment about black people sounds like we are Afro-American sprinters or Jamaican sprinters. East Africa I'm from has high altitude, tradition of long distance runners who dominate that the sport. Trust me they are skinny runner who isn't the fast, huge muscles blacks you thinking of. It is as silly as saying all whites are big,heavy like Canadian ice hockey players.....

If Mané makes a power move down the wing to get past his opponent, he's showing that he's fast and strong - so in that case the commentators should imply that.
If Salah makes a power move down the wing to get past his opponent, he's showing that he's fast and strong - so in that case the commentators should imply that.

If Mané makes an incredible pass, he's showing a high IQ for the game - and should be praised by the commentators for that.
If Salah makes an incredible pass, he's showing a high IQ for the game - and should be praised by the commentators for that.

I'm not saying black players should only be described as fast and strong. I'm saying it isn't racist saying it, if in fact they are fast and strong. But ofc they should be praised for their entire game - as you described Mané. It's all about the situation on the pitch, as the two plays i stated. It shouldn't make a difference if you're white or black.

As for the racist commentary. I'm not watching games with english or american commentators, i'm watching it with danish commentators. I'd like to believe we don't have the same racial issues as in the states.
KG Leonard
Senior

Post#11 » by KG Leonard » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:17 pm

aggerrard wrote:
KG Leonard wrote:

If Mané makes a power move down the wing to get past his opponent, he's showing that he's fast and strong - so in that case the commentators should imply that.
If Salah makes a power move down the wing to get past his opponent, he's showing that he's fast and strong - so in that case the commentators should imply that.

If Mané makes an incredible pass, he's showing a high IQ for the game - and should be praised by the commentators for that.
If Salah makes an incredible pass, he's showing a high IQ for the game - and should be praised by the commentators for that.

I'm not saying black players should only be described as fast and strong. I'm saying it isn't racist saying it, if in fact they are fast and strong. But ofc they should be praised for their entire game - as you described Mané. It's all about the situation on the pitch, as the two plays i stated. It shouldn't make a difference if you're white or black.

As for the racist commentary. I'm not watching games with english or american commentators, i'm watching it with danish commentators. I'd like to believe we don't have the same racial issues as in the states.
Yeah but the point you bring up is not really what the report was about, you can critisize any player or describe them like Mane in your post but the issue is white players is seen in a better light often Totti like IQ or skill suddenly, the best black,Asian players is only seen as speed,power,physical attributes.

I live in Sweden, watch the sport with Swedish commentators, have heard similar comments about the players. You dont to have the same level of racism as USA to have similar problem. This is a global issue, trust me I know Sweden, Denmark are not much better with the issue of racism just because it isn't level of USA ,their history. I like to be idealistic about this problem but lets not be naive as if this report isnt showing a real problem. This imho isn't about cancel culture going too far,you can't talk about players of color in a certain way. It is ablout players of lighter skin being seen as they are better for one simple reason.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by aggerrard » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:48 pm

KG Leonard wrote:
aggerrard wrote:
KG Leonard wrote:Mane isn't generic English player with only speed, his world class technical ability, dribbling, goalscoring that would be hailed as technical genius if he was white European player or light skinned South American like Messi.

Yeah but the point you bring up is not really what the report was about, you can critisize any player or describe them like Mane in your post but the issue is white players is seen in a better light often Totti like IQ or skill suddenly, the best black,Asian players is only seen as speed,power,physical attributes.

I live in Sweden, watch the sport with Swedish commentators, have heard similar comments about the players. You dont to have the same level of racism as USA to have similar problem. This is a global issue, trust me I know Sweden, Denmark are not much better with the issue of racism just because it isn't level of USA ,their history. I like to be idealistic about this problem but lets not be naive as if this report isnt showing a real problem. This imho isn't about cancel culture going too far,you can't talk about players of color in a certain way. It is ablout players of lighter skin being seen as they are better for one simple reason.

I disagre with it being this big an issue. I have never even given it a thought. Let me take it into consideration tomorrow when City and Real plays and write down how the different players are described by the danish commentators during the game.

And for Denmark. Ofc there is racism - we have the usual boneheads that every country has, but i do not believe it's something ingrown in the system. If you want to take a debate to that level, the discussion should be on Islam and immigrants - and the obvious challenges that has come with it. In that debate you can argue for racism on both sides.
wco81
RealGM

Post#13 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:18 pm

Seems fairly widespread if you look at what's going on in the sections where the ultras sit at matches.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by aggerrard » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:32 pm

wco81 wrote:Seems fairly widespread if you look at what's going on in the sections where the ultras sit at matches.

?
peace forever
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by peace forever » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:01 pm

merc
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#16 » by JohnPferdelack » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:46 pm

wco81 wrote:Seems fairly widespread if you look at what's going on in the sections where the ultras sit at matches.

What???
KG Leonard
Senior

Post#17 » by KG Leonard » Sun Aug 9, 2020 5:40 am

aggerrard wrote:
KG Leonard wrote:
aggerrard wrote:If Mané makes a power move down the wing to get past his opponent, he's showing that he's fast and strong - so in that case the commentators should imply that.

I disagre with it being this big an issue. I have never even given it a thought. Let me take it into consideration tomorrow when City and Real plays and write down how the different players are described by the danish commentators during the game.

And for Denmark. Ofc there is racism - we have the usual boneheads that every country has, but i do not believe it's something ingrown in the system. If you want to take a debate to that level, the discussion should be on Islam and immigrants - and the obvious challenges that has come with it. In that debate you can argue for racism on both sides.
You dont have to give a thought because it is not something the majority population like white fans has to think about. Real vs City is just one game, you need to read research, watch 80-100s of games like the report in this thread. Single games doesn't prove anything, it is not something you hear every game because sport tv channels has gotten criticism for some of their old commentators. It has gotten better with the years of course but the problem is still not a small issue.

About racism in Denmark thats for you guys to settle. :)
Racism in the global game of football existed way before muslims,immigrants was very common in Europe.

Return to The General Soccer Board