Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#381 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:20 am

I just thought it was funny for the sponsor's name being so prominent.

There's a mediocre restaurant chain in the US called Carabao's. I was surprised they'd be big enough to sponsor a tournament involving major clubs. It would be like if there was a Denny's Cup.

But in fact, Carbao is also the name brand of some Thai energy drink and they're the sponsors.

Odd either way.

Then again, I thought I saw everything when United had Chevrolet sponsored jerseys. I know US General Motor cars are sold in Europe but under the Opel brand I believe. DIdn't know they sold Chevrolet cars in the UK though.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#382 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm

wco81 wrote:I just thought it was funny for the sponsor's name being so prominent.

There's a mediocre restaurant chain in the US called Carabao's. I was surprised they'd be big enough to sponsor a tournament involving major clubs. It would be like if there was a Denny's Cup.

But in fact, Carbao is also the name brand of some Thai energy drink and they're the sponsors.

Odd either way.

Then again, I thought I saw everything when United had Chevrolet sponsored jerseys. I know US General Motor cars are sold in Europe but under the Opel brand I believe. DIdn't know they sold Chevrolet cars in the UK though.

Chelsea used to be sponsored by Coors. Awesome jersey. I am strongly NOT a fan of Chel$ea. I think their just reckless spending about 20 years back when Abromovich (spelling) bought the team really set the tone for this new world of soccer. One that I'm not a fan of. Otherwise I woulda bought it. If you don't share my views....then there's an awesome jersey out there.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#383 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Wonderful win to grab the cup. It's something I consider a bit of a "dinner mint" of trophies....but I'm sure it was massive for the young guys getting to play. And I guess for what it's worth, Klopp won't go into the sunset with an empty season.

I think Liverpool dodged a massive bullet this last offseason with the Saudi's splashing huge cash everywhere. We were able to offload a couple older players, and got massively lucky (or is Klopp that good??) with some new midfielders. Watching our youth this season has also been great. Our farm system is paying dividends. Paying big-time. Will be interesting to see how we navigate this offseason, when players like Salah and VVD and Tiago leave. Will there be others? TAA? I think it's going to be an epic overhaul. Management and prob half our starters.

Would love to see us go out with the prem title. Would be such a fitting end to his time here as our manager. I just don't think we're gonna survive with out injury list. City will prob beat us in couple weeks, and I don't think they look back. Hope I'm wrong. Arse are right there too.

Either way....It will be a whole new team next season. I almost hope we don't get Xabi. I would like him to coach us one day....but It feels like whoever replaces an icon is doomed. "Fergie woulda pulled that out" or "Klopp would have attacked" ....that mentality haunts whomever has to replace some amazing coach. On the other hand.....I do think these things fail so often because you have a new coach with X style of coaching, coaching a team built around a coach with Y style of coaching. In this case, we will prob have such a new squad, perhaps it won't matter. Will Xabi get the benefit of the doubt, if it takes a 2-3 years to build? I remember wanting Klopp gone after having a couple seasons of double-digit draws. Anyone remember that? We would draw to complete garbage teams constantly his first 2-3 seasons! Drove me nuts. I remember one year we had 12 draws, and I was completely over the guy.

Will Xabi get those 3-4 years of patience? Or will he be judged on the recent success of his predecessor? Maybe its better if he stays, and let's some other poor coach get swallowed up by Klopps shadow, and THEN come.

Lastly....are there any other coaches that really do the gegenpressing? Wouldn't that be a better coach to go after, if we plan/hope to try and keep VVD, TAA, and some of the others. We've got a team built around that, after all.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#384 » by Baseline81 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:06 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Wonderful win to grab the cup. It's something I consider a bit of a "dinner mint" of trophies....but I'm sure it was massive for the young guys getting to play. And I guess for what it's worth, Klopp won't go into the sunset with an empty season.

I think Liverpool dodged a massive bullet this last offseason with the Saudi's splashing huge cash everywhere. We were able to offload a couple older players, and got massively lucky (or is Klopp that good??) with some new midfielders. Watching our youth this season has also been great. Our farm system is paying dividends. Paying big-time. Will be interesting to see how we navigate this offseason, when players like Salah and VVD and Tiago leave. Will there be others? TAA? I think it's going to be an epic overhaul. Management and prob half our starters.

Would love to see us go out with the prem title. Would be such a fitting end to his time here as our manager. I just don't think we're gonna survive with out injury list. City will prob beat us in couple weeks, and I don't think they look back. Hope I'm wrong. Arse are right there too.

Either way....It will be a whole new team next season. I almost hope we don't get Xabi. I would like him to coach us one day....but It feels like whoever replaces an icon is doomed. "Fergie woulda pulled that out" or "Klopp would have attacked" ....that mentality haunts whomever has to replace some amazing coach. On the other hand.....I do think these things fail so often because you have a new coach with X style of coaching, coaching a team built around a coach with Y style of coaching. In this case, we will prob have such a new squad, perhaps it won't matter. Will Xabi get the benefit of the doubt, if it takes a 2-3 years to build? I remember wanting Klopp gone after having a couple seasons of double-digit draws. Anyone remember that? We would draw to complete garbage teams constantly his first 2-3 seasons! Drove me nuts. I remember one year we had 12 draws, and I was completely over the guy.

Will Xabi get those 3-4 years of patience? Or will he be judged on the recent success of his predecessor? Maybe its better if he stays, and let's some other poor coach get swallowed up by Klopps shadow, and THEN come.

Lastly....are there any other coaches that really do the gegenpressing? Wouldn't that be a better coach to go after, if we plan/hope to try and keep VVD, TAA, and some of the others. We've got a team built around that, after all.

I remember as I was one who argued with you.

There's no question whomever is chosen will struggle to fill Klopp's boots simply because he is not him. Klopp's personality is a one-of-a-kind, and fans will have to adjust. With that said, no doubt the new manager will be given a few years at the minimum.

Outside of maybe Salah and van Dijk, I'm not sure another starter leaves. TAA will sign this summer. Who else do you have in mind?

From what I'm reading, the candidates are Alonso, Amorim and Nagelsmann. Amorim, of Sporting Lisbon, has the closest style to Klopp. But going from the Portuguese League to Premier League is quite a jump up whereas I don't think it would impact either Alonso or Nagelsmann as much. Nagelsmann doesn't have the personality, though.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#385 » by MetalFingaz » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:43 pm

What a club! What an academy!
It's time for 5 refs.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#386 » by knickabocker88 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:00 am

I'm worried that Salah, Sobo and Darwin couldn't even make the bench for this one, unless Klopp was content with punting the FA cup away.

These next 2 PL games are the most important games and we'll need some resemblance of a first team squad.

Also not a fan of going to OT on March 17 for this quarterfinal and then playing them again first week of April in PL.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#387 » by MetalFingaz » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:59 pm

I don't think 5-1 is fair on balance of play, but certainly happy to take that back to Anfield. Hopefully Darwin saved a couple bangers for City at the weekend.
It's time for 5 refs.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#388 » by Baseline81 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

A couple of thoughts on Xabi Alonso.

1.) If the reports are true, it's a big risk for Alonso. Things will not be this easy next season, and if Leverkusen struggles, which tends to happen with these sort of teams coming from nowhere (largely due to several players leaving), he could end up coming across as a one-season wonder and, in turn, his managerial stock taking a decline.

2.) This is solely about Real Madrid. Doubtful Carlo Ancelotti remains longer than next season, and they have the best selection of young players in Europe. There is no way he is rejecting either Bayern or Liverpool to stay at Leverkusen. I don't believe for a second that he thinks he isn't ready for those two clubs.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#389 » by MetalFingaz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 pm

Can't blame him for backing himself here to see what Leverkusen can do in the Champions League. Bayern chews up managers for fun. That's okay if you're at the Mourinho/Ancelotti/Tuchel stage of your career and your resume speaks for itself. Totally sidetracked Nagelsmann's career. I can see why Xabi would want to avoid that right now.

As for Liverpool, there's very little benefit to following directly in Klopp's footsteps imo. No manager is Klopp.

And I agree, as much as I hate it, Madrid has a draw for players and managers that no other club can really compete with.
It's time for 5 refs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#390 » by Baphomet » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 pm

Who would you guys like to take over as Liverpool boss, with Alonso off the table?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#391 » by Baseline81 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 pm

Baphomet wrote:Who would you guys like to take over as Liverpool boss, with Alonso off the table?

The current favorites are Brighton's De Zerbi and Sporting's Amorim.

Something doesn't sit right with me in regards to De Zerbi, however, I know very little of Amorim.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#392 » by MetalFingaz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:44 pm

Yeah, I'd take Thomas Frank before De Zerbi.
It's time for 5 refs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#393 » by Baphomet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:23 pm

I agree with both of you about De Zerbi. Maybe it's an unfair preconception to have, but I feel like he's been the beneficiary of a strong club structure at Brighton. A mediocre season and European performance probably haven't done much to alleviate any questions fans might have of him. I didn't particularly want him when he was linked to Spurs last summer, either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68695428

This article on BBC Sport ranked the contenders by various metrics, and Amorim came out the most favourable, besides Klopp himself, per their scoring system. Worth a read, I suppose.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#394 » by Baseline81 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:58 pm

Baphomet wrote:I agree with both of you about De Zerbi. Maybe it's an unfair preconception to have, but I feel like he's been the beneficiary of a strong club structure at Brighton. A mediocre season and European performance probably haven't done much to alleviate any questions fans might have of him. I didn't particularly want him when he was linked to Spurs last summer, either.

This article on BBC Sport ranked the contenders by various metrics, and Amorim came out the most favourable, besides Klopp himself, per their scoring system. Worth a read, I suppose.

In my opinion, whomever the new manager is, I do feel a step back is coming, despite the refreshed squad. Klopp has worked wonders with these players, and a part of me feels as if we are punching above our weight at the moment.

I do think with Edwards back at the club, Amorim may very well be in line. And I wouldn't be against it. I do fear, though, it may be at the expense of losing Salah and van Dijk, with both having close relationships to Klopp.

Unlike De Zerbi, Amorim has won, albeit the Portuguese League.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#395 » by MetalFingaz » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:I agree with both of you about De Zerbi. Maybe it's an unfair preconception to have, but I feel like he's been the beneficiary of a strong club structure at Brighton. A mediocre season and European performance probably haven't done much to alleviate any questions fans might have of him. I didn't particularly want him when he was linked to Spurs last summer, either.

Brighton have been playing on multiple fronts with a dramatically depleted squad all year. De Zerbi's done well with the player's he's had available. Tactically he seems very astute, but my question really is about the ability to make adjustments during matches.
It's time for 5 refs.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#396 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:46 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Sad day with the news of Klopp leaving at the end of the season.

You don't find many managers of his ilk these days. He'll go down as one of the greats at Liverpool.

I honestly had not heard of the news until I logged in earlier today. Basically, two full months later... :lol:

I dropped cable & decided not to sign up for another streaming service. I also don't frequent ESPN.

So, I'm just now catching up lol.

Anyways, it's a bummer. I knew his time at the club was likely coming to end here at some point. But it's sad.

Hopefully, they send him out with a bang.

P.S. Baphomet, Congrats on the retirement!
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Baseline81
Starter

Post#397 » by Baseline81 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:27 pm

Santi Aouna@Santi_J_FM

Talks continue between Raul Costa, the agent of Ruben Amorim, and Liverpool

Ruben Amorim is prepared to join Liverpool. The Reds are leading the race to sign the Portuguese Coach

Amorim is now focus to win all the trophies with Sporting

Fabrizio Romano@FabrizioRomano

Ruben Amorim: “I can NOT guarantee that I will stay at Sporting next season”.

“I can’t say that like Xabi Alonso did”.

“We have time to discuss my future, we will do that at the right time”.

“Now focus on winning titles and then we will see what happens”
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#398 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Sad day with the news of Klopp leaving at the end of the season.

You don't find many managers of his ilk these days. He'll go down as one of the greats at Liverpool.

I honestly had not heard of the news until I logged in earlier today. Basically, two full months later... :lol:

I dropped cable & decided not to sign up for another streaming service. I also don't frequent ESPN.

So, I'm just now catching up lol.

Welcome back to the outside world! :lol: Always good to see ya.

Yeah, it is a bummer. Honestly, this team has Klopps soul all over it. I don't see it going well for whoever comes after him. These players are all guys that play the way Klopp wants to play. They have the talents and the strengths that he's looking for. And for what that's worth...how many are leaving? I dunno here. I say either get a coach who plays a really similar style, or do a pretty thorough overhaul. If we can get a great price for Salah, VVD, TAA, and any others...let's do it. But I will say this: don't just let the new manager splash around $500 mil, or whatever. There are alot of good players...and some really good young talent on our squad.

I wanna see the coach obviously sign a guy or two...and replace some people leaving. But spend a year working more or less with what you got, and get this team resembling your identity. THEN....we'll then be able to bring in players that fit the new manager's check-list. But it will be done smarter, and not just throwing cash in the air. I just think it will be better. There will obviously be a decline in the short term, but then hopefully that second year, we'd be plugging in gaps and weak points. I dunno...that's how I'd do it.

But if we can get a guy who runs a system very similar to Klopp's, that would be by far my first option. Even if Salah and VVD leave..this is a great squad built around this style.

But in the now....wow what a race, eh? I can't believe we're even in the running still....considering all our injuries! If we can win out, the title is ours. But we can't slip up even once. Worried about the Man-U game. Would be the whole season, and then some, for them if they ruined it twice for us.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#399 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:25 pm

According to Sky Sports Germany (Plettenberg), Liverpool reportedly reach agreement in principle to hire Amorim.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#400 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:18 pm

Baseline81 wrote:According to Sky Sports Germany (Plettenberg), Liverpool reportedly reach agreement in principle to hire Amorim.

Good hire?
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to The General Soccer Board