Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#361 » by MetalFingaz » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 pm

Mac Allister turned in his best performance yet for Liverpool yesterday. Read that his 9 tackles won was the most for a Liverpool midfielder in 8 years. Watching the game made me think for the first time that he's not being played out of position, but that he's Klopp's long-term solution at the 6. Resisted the press well, played incisive passes, made quick decisions, and won the ball back well. Solanke was totally disconnected from the Bournemouth midfield in the 2nd half. Immense.

Jota, brilliant again. He and Gakpo are really doing well linking the play from deeper positions. And 2 nice finishes from Darwin brings him into a tie for 5th for most PL goal involvements this season.
It's time for 5 refs.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#362 » by SgtPepper » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:11 pm

I think the club is managing the situation professionally, but have to confess I hate these European returns during int'l competitions outside the region especially given the stunt Benzema pulled at the WC last winter (make a ton of money as the face of NT ads before shirking the team asap). Narration such as "Salah will return for AFCON final" amounts to a gauntlet/threat to the NT to make it to that stage in the first place.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#363 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:48 pm

Sad day with the news of Klopp leaving at the end of the season.

You don't find many managers of his ilk these days. He'll go down as one of the greats at Liverpool.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#364 » by Triple M » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:56 pm

This might galvanize everyone the next few months but this is going to be a big summer for LFC
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

Post#365 » by Foye » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:59 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Sad day with the news of Klopp leaving at the end of the season.

You don't find many managers of his ilk these days. He'll go down as one of the greats at Liverpool.

He should take a little rest and come back to Mainz then.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#366 » by Mamba81p » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:57 pm

Leverkusen dodged a bullet when ancelotti decided to stay at real Madrid but I am afraid this is xabi's job now.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#367 » by -Luke- » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:13 pm

Mamba81p wrote:Leverkusen dodged a bullet when ancelotti decided to stay at real Madrid but I am afraid this is xabi's job now.

Good point, haven't thought about that angle. I read a while ago that Xabi has a clause or a gentleman's agreement with Leverkusen that he can leave for his former (big) clubs (Real, Liverpool, Bayern). I don't know whether that is true of course, but he's probably one of the top candidates.

On another note, Tuchel has recently said that he felt more valued in England and he seems more and more frustrated with Bayern. So he could be another candidate. Wouldn't be the first time he succeeds Klopp.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#368 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:38 pm

Mamba81p wrote:Leverkusen dodged a bullet when ancelotti decided to stay at real Madrid but I am afraid this is xabi's job now.

He'll certainly be high on the list, if not at the top, being a former player. Other names I imagine will likely be De Zerbi and Nagelsmann.

My only concern is I believe it's still too early for him. Prior to Leverkusen, he managed Real Sociedad B for a few years. Unfortunately, LFC cannot wait, and I doubt Alonso would pass up such an opportunity -- Liverpool or Bayern Munich.

Whomever the choice, he will be joining along with a new director of football and staff.

If it's true Klopp told the owners back in November, I would like to believe they are out in front as talks with transfer targets are done well in advance of the actual signing period.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#369 » by SgtPepper » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:14 pm

Lol. You believed Ancelotti would leave Real Madrid for Leverkusen?

I hope and think Xabi will pass the big club opportunity, especially considering his view in Xavi's barcelona currently. The quality of the club and players available matter a lot more than fans think and Kusen is a better building platform than Bayern is currently. Xabi still hasn't won any titles or survived long difficult phases yet.

Of course Tuchel would feel more valued in England than Bayern - the former has lower standards for managers and he's doing a terrible job at Bayern compared to the predecessor they sacked for him. I think Nagelsmann is a good target for Pool now though.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#370 » by MetalFingaz » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:27 pm

SgtPepper wrote:

I hope and think Xabi will pass the big club opportunity, especially considering his view in Xavi's barcelona currently. The quality of the club and players available matter a lot more than fans think and Kusen is a better building platform than Bayern is currently. Xabi still hasn't won any titles or survived long difficult phases yet.

Of course Tuchel would feel more valued in England than Bayern - the former has lower standards for managers and he's doing a terrible job at Bayern compared to the predecessor they sacked for him. I think Nagelsmann is a good target for Pool now though.

I think they meant, since Ancelotti renewed his contract at Madrid, it is less likely that Madrid tries to poach Xabi Alonso from Leverkusen at the end of this season. And yeah, Liverpool love buying players from RB and I think Nagelsmann would be stylistically the least disruptive of the names mentioned.

Sad news, though. Klopp is such a presence that it's difficult to imagine this team without him. But I'm happy that he'll get some time for himself, he's surely earned it.
It's time for 5 refs.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#371 » by Mamba81p » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:12 pm

SgtPepper wrote:

Where did you get that from? I meant when ancelotti decided to pass on Brazil one possible destination for xabi was removed. Leverkusen fans want xabi to stay and for a good reason.
He looks like a genius
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#372 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:35 pm

If Prem dropped the hammer on City like they should have, I don't think Klopp would have burnt out. 98 and 97 points and you finish second. Courtois stands on his head in Paris. I'm sure it gets to you.

Once Germany crashes out again this year, he'll get offered the position but USMNT should throw the bag at Jurgen (I'm talking Saudi $$$).

I'm gonna miss Jurgen, even last year and the year that Allison scored the goal to propel us to top 4. I thought he was criticized unfairly considering everything he's done for the club. He wouldn't have had to rely on Henderson and Milner of ownership backed him.

Hopefully 80 odd pts is good enough to win the league this year and we don't have to run the table. Milan, Leverkusen and Brighton are in Europa so it's gonna be tough. Send him out on top.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#373 » by SgtPepper » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:40 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:Hopefully 80 odd pts is good enough to win the league this year and we don't have to run the table. Milan, Leverkusen and Brighton are in Europa so it's gonna be tough. Send him out on top.

Careful with this, last time Klopp announced leaving Dortmund they got beaten by some non-Bayern team in the pokal final.
And Klopp mentioned the possibility of taking a break a few years ago. 97-98 points is cake compared to the cold war years of la liga.

Thiago expects to leave the club in the summer. What's happening with Pool's golden generation is really fascinating as they are the poster children of KSA's impact on the value chain of Europe. Milly's the only one still in the league, the others who would have traditionally been swallowed up as secondaries by the la liga giants are now in KSA, and Hendo is at Ajax after ksa. I think the club is still digging itself out from overbuying south american forwards
Baseline81
Starter

Post#374 » by Baseline81 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Really proud of all our players today. Fantastic performance considering the circumstances, and what a result in the end.

Klopp will end his LFC tenure with at least trophy this season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#375 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:30 pm

Really, Carabao Cup is a thing?

Did they play their best lineups or did they save the main guys for the PL matches since they're in the thick of the race?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#376 » by Baseline81 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:59 pm

wco81 wrote:Did they play their best lineups or did they save the main guys for the PL matches since they're in the thick of the race?

No, Liverpool is currently missing Alisson, TAA, Salah, Nunez, Jota and Jones to injuries. At the end, four academy players were on the pitch in Quansah, Clark, McConnell and Danns.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#377 » by MetalFingaz » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:09 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Did they play their best lineups or did they save the main guys for the PL matches since they're in the thick of the race?

No, Liverpool is currently missing Alisson, TAA, Salah, Nunez, Jota and Jones to injuries. At the end, four academy players were on the pitch in Quansah, Clark, McConnell and Danns.

And no Szoboszlai (or Matip, Bajcetic, Thiago, Doak, ...). But Liverpool started with just about their best available 11.

Gravenberch on crutches. Endo on crutches. Gonna be tough from here on out in 3 competitions.

What a performance though. Everyone put in a massive shift.
It's time for 5 refs.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#378 » by knickabocker88 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:35 am

Most important agenda items is to get 3pts vs Forest on Saturday. Youngsters will have to play well midweek vs Southampton but part of me thinks Mo, Darwin and Szoboszlai will all get minutes in leadup to Forest.

Shout-out to Kelleher, very underappreciated.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,278

Post#379 » by Shaazzam » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:27 pm

wco81 wrote:Really, Carabao Cup is a thing?

Did they play their best lineups or did they save the main guys for the PL matches since they're in the thick of the race?

it's a piece of silverware, may not have the prestige of others, but it's something

ugg, i feel icky supporting 'pool on anything
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#380 » by MetalFingaz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:30 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
wco81 wrote:Really, Carabao Cup is a thing?

it's a piece of silverware, may not have the prestige of others, but it's something

ugg, i feel icky supporting 'pool on anything

I'm sure I said it was a prestigious trophy when you lot won it last year. Don't check my post history. :D

It's a Mickey Mouse cup all the years City won it, though.
It's time for 5 refs.

Return to The General Soccer Board