Transfer Thread 2022/23

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Transfer Thread 2022/23 

Post#581 » by HIF » Mon Jan 9, 2023 7:41 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
lambchop wrote:I mean not everyone wants to be a Sky Sports analyst or youth team assistant coach. He basically opted to accumulate a lot of additional wealth. If he invested his cash well/ didn't spend all of it, he could even buy Benfica once he retires.

You're thinking small. Ronaldo had achieved generational wealth by his early 20s because of how well he did as a footballer. This money will roughly double his career earnings, but doesn't improve his options over the rest of his career and life since the starting point was already very high. Working in football mgmt and investing in clubs are not that lucrative options for ex-athletes either. He's also stated ~7 years ago that he probably wants to leave football and go into movies and entertainment after his football career ended. I take that as the truth, because at this late and unstable stage of that career his statements will have to be political. His obsession with brand size metrics like twitter follower count, balon d'or, individual records makes more sense from that lens too. In other words, he's following the same career strategy as Pele, Arnold, and Lebron James. But all those guys managed it a lot better. To poke a few holes, how does going to Saudi Arabia advance his post-career? The viewership in the region is small so his brand will diminish and his contention for the national team will probably end immediately, and unless he has hopes of becoming a future Barcelona coach the more direct access to global Saudi investors and club pipelines won't improve his options. Both the MLS and China would have given him big money (though less immediately), more global brand exposure (meaning more annual and sustainable earnings post-retirement), and exposure to investors who drive the entertainment industry which would be more relevant to his post-career.

The guy can do whatever he wants. Not sure why so many people think they have the right comment, and criticize. Especially considering that he came from more humble backgrounds than most of the people crying.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#582 » by HIF » Mon Jan 9, 2023 7:42 pm

Baphomet wrote:Joao Felix signing for Chelsea. Good player but I don't think he's really the right type of player they need, in terms of where he plays, what the team is lacking and what he contributes, but we'll see.

They might need to spend another half a billion to finish above Fulham.

We can always hope.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Post#583 » by Baphomet » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:20 pm

Meanwhile Pedro Porro, the guy who cucked Felix, might be on his way to Spurs. Sporting are demanding the full release clause of 45m euros, though, which I think would be a slight overpay.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#584 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 9:35 pm

HIF wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:
lambchop wrote:I mean not everyone wants to be a Sky Sports analyst or youth team assistant coach. He basically opted to accumulate a lot of additional wealth. If he invested his cash well/ didn't spend all of it, he could even buy Benfica once he retires.

You're thinking small. Ronaldo had achieved generational wealth by his early 20s because of how well he did as a footballer. This money will roughly double his career earnings, but doesn't improve his options over the rest of his career and life since the starting point was already very high. Working in football mgmt and investing in clubs are not that lucrative options for ex-athletes either. He's also stated ~7 years ago that he probably wants to leave football and go into movies and entertainment after his football career ended. I take that as the truth, because at this late and unstable stage of that career his statements will have to be political. His obsession with brand size metrics like twitter follower count, balon d'or, individual records makes more sense from that lens too. In other words, he's following the same career strategy as Pele, Arnold, and Lebron James. But all those guys managed it a lot better. To poke a few holes, how does going to Saudi Arabia advance his post-career? The viewership in the region is small so his brand will diminish and his contention for the national team will probably end immediately, and unless he has hopes of becoming a future Barcelona coach the more direct access to global Saudi investors and club pipelines won't improve his options. Both the MLS and China would have given him big money (though less immediately), more global brand exposure (meaning more annual and sustainable earnings post-retirement), and exposure to investors who drive the entertainment industry which would be more relevant to his post-career.

The guy can do whatever he wants. Not sure why so many people think they have the right comment, and criticize. Especially considering that he came from more humble backgrounds than most of the people crying.

He says, without a hint of irony where he's expressing his opinion.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#585 » by The_Brecht » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:03 pm

Mudryk should be happening apparently.
I hope we get another central midfielder in.

It's sad, but Sambi Lokonga won't make it at Arsenal.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,342

Post#586 » by Shaazzam » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:24 pm

Baphomet wrote:Joao Felix signing for Chelsea. Good player but I don't think he's really the right type of player they need, in terms of where he plays, what the team is lacking and what he contributes, but we'll see.

They might need to spend another half a billion to finish above Fulham.

I really like him, but I'm kind of glad we didn't do the loan for him. Not quite what United needs.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#587 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#588 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:45 pm

Leeds are quietly doing decent business on paper, Wober is a decent player and looks promising.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,475

Post#589 » by Foye » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:22 am

LDNMagic90 wrote:Leeds are quietly doing decent business on paper, Wober is a decent player and looks promising.

They are also going after Georginio Rutter who is a fantastic talent.

However, the rumored 30-40 mil. seem like an overpay to me. He is not consistent enough yet to be worth that amount.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#590 » by LDNMagic90 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:16 am

Foye wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:Leeds are quietly doing decent business on paper, Wober is a decent player and looks promising.

However, the rumored 30-40 mil. seem like an overpay to me. He is not consistent enough yet to be worth that amount.

He looks like a very good talent indeed, I would like him to stay in the Bundesliga a bit longer to develop more but these days players want to come to the premier league at the first chance they get lol.
HIF
RealGM

Post#591 » by HIF » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:25 am

wco81 wrote:
HIF wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

He says, without a hint of irony where he's expressing his opinion.

You obviously don't know who I am. :wink:

HIF
RealGM

Post#592 » by HIF » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:28 am

fbalmeida wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Is that 11m fee for half a season (plus all his wages)? The premier league has gone crazy. How can some teams do this and others can't afford to spend the money they get from selling players?

HIF
RealGM

Post#593 » by HIF » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:29 am

But it's Leeds. If they stick with their style of play they'll never make the top half of the prem and always have the chance of being in a relegation battle.

Foye

Post#594 » by Foye » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:19 am

LDNMagic90 wrote:
Foye wrote:

He looks like a very good talent indeed, I would like him to stay in the Bundesliga a bit longer to develop more but these days players want to come to the premier league at the first chance they get lol.

They got the $$$s in mind. :lol:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Post#595 » by Baphomet » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Wolves have signed Matheus Cunha for 50m euros on a permanent deal, because there was a clause in the loan deal that meant they had to sign him if he played three times. :lol:

Atleti absolutely worked them.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#596 » by SgtPepper » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:43 am

Atleti dominated the upside in the Felix contract update too. That could backfire though if Felix busts during the contact, though given how long the career mobility for mediocres like Morata and Lukaku went it would take some abysmal form to qualify.
Foye

Post#597 » by Foye » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:20 am

Baphomet wrote:Wolves have signed Matheus Cunha for 50m euros on a permanent deal, because there was a clause in the loan deal that meant they had to sign him if he played three times. :lol:

Atleti absolutely worked them.

Well he is not absolutely talentless but an absolute flawed player who is more busy with complaining than actually helping his team.

5 mil. is what is about right for him in my mind. So they only overpaid by about 45 mil.
HIF
RealGM

Post#598 » by HIF » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:50 am

We are going to see stupid prices this next couple of weeks, I think.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#599 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:37 am

Chelsea paying 100M and 8x times the salary Mudryk would earn at Arsenal.
Another player they don't really need.

What is Boehly doing? Just get a striker and a right back to cover for James. That's what you really need.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#600 » by LDNMagic90 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 pm

So many clubs in the prem need a striker, Moffi from Lorient looks like a good player and West Ham are in for him. I hope he doesn’t go there, would like Villa to go in for him as we are down strikers. Watkins could be out for a bit and Ings while is good, I’m not sure if his all around play will suit Emery’s style.

Return to The General Soccer Board