Transfer Thread 2022/23

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Transfer Thread 2022/23 

Post#1 » by Baphomet » Mon May 9, 2022 6:46 pm

Well, let's begin next season's transfer thread with an absolute doozie: Haaland to Man City is confirmed.

Discuss transfers for the forthcoming 22/23 season here.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Transfer Thread 2022/23 

Post#2 » by HIF » Tue May 10, 2022 7:45 am

Baphomet wrote:Well, let's begin next season's transfer thread with an absolute doozie: Haaland to Man City is confirmed.

Good for them.

This should be a transformative off-season for Leicester. Too many players who haven't got the level and 1 or 2 who have who need to be elsewhere. The biggest OUT will probably be Youri Tielemans, he's an excellent player but his head has been turned and we need rid, second biggest sale will probably be Caglar Soyuncu another good player but he needs an experienced CB next to him.

Must keeps are few for us: Fofana, Maddison, KDH, N'didi are the four that really cannot be touched and then players like JJ, Castagne, Ricardo, Evans, Vardy would be very hard to replace with equivalent quality.

The one player I'd like to move on, which we won't, is Kasper who I truly think is holding us back. Then again Brendan may be holding us back too. :(
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#3 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:46 am

Villa will be doing a bit of a clear out mostly of the fringe players we have and maybe another first team player.

Coutinho is signing for around £12 million which is amazing value, I wouldn’t be surprised if we give him a big signing on fee. This signing can help spear head Villa with signing players of that pedigree. We are also in talks for Boubacar Kamara, I’ve watched him for some time and he’s a baller and exactly the midfielder Villa need.

Seem to be getting our business earlier which is great.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 10, 2022 2:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:Well, let's begin next season's transfer thread with an absolute doozie: Haaland to Man City is confirmed.

With the Prem now being able to use 5 subs in game, we are about to see A LOT of teams spending money this season for depth. Also teams want to close the gaps depending on their tier.

Tier 1 - Liverpool and Man City

Tier 2 - Chelsea maybe Spurs and Arsenal? (these teams are going to spend a lot to bridge that gulf in class between City/Liverpool and the rest.

Tier 3 - Man Utd, West Ham and Wolves (Man Utd are in total rebuild mode or they should be, West Ham have a great squad however if they sell Rice and Soucek they'll fall off a bit)

Tier 4 - Aston Villa, Brighton, Leicester, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Everton. (Leicester, Villa, Newcastle and Palace will likely improve on what they have and battle for the Tier 3 spots/Europa league positions but aren't likely to get close to the top 4)

Tier 5 - Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Burnley/Leeds, Southampton and whoever else gets promoted - Its hard to say what these teams need, but they just probably need to upgrade across the board.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Baphomet » Tue May 10, 2022 5:09 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:With the Prem now being able to use 5 subs in game, we are about to see A LOT of teams spending money this season for depth. Also teams want to close the gaps depending on their tier.

Tier 2 - Chelsea maybe Spurs and Arsenal? (these teams are going to spend a lot to bridge that gulf in class between City/Liverpool and the rest.

Tier 3 - Man Utd, West Ham and Wolves (Man Utd are in total rebuild mode or they should be, West Ham have a great squad however if they sell Rice and Soucek they'll fall off a bit)

Tier 4 - Aston Villa, Brighton, Leicester, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Everton. (Leicester, Villa, Newcastle and Palace will likely improve on what they have and battle for the Tier 3 spots/Europa league positions but aren't likely to get close to the top 4)

Tier 5 - Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Burnley/Leeds, Southampton and whoever else gets promoted - Its hard to say what these teams need, but they just probably need to upgrade across the board.

Not sure about Spurs and Arsenal being in a second tier. I've said it before, but Arsenal need a top quality central midfielder, and a striker. Get one or both of them and they should be able to replicate what they've done this season and compete for top four. If not, they might fall back with midweek games to contend with next season.

There's still a big question mark over Spurs because we don't know if Kane will stay. City signing Haaland obviously rules out one destination, but I believe his future at the club hinges on Conte. If Conte stays/signs an extension, then I believe Kane will too. We have the genesis of a very good front three with him, Sonny and Kulusevski. Positions to upgrade are central midfield, backup striker and most importantly: wing backs. I love Hojbjerg's passion for the club and I still see him as a good backup, but we need a more creative mind to play next to Bentancur in our starting 11, to take playmaking pressure off Kane. Possibly another CB? If Dier and Davies play like they did against Liverpool more frequently, we might not need one. Romero is obviously mustard, absolute beast.

It feels like I say this every year, but Palace are a team to watch. I think Vieira's building quite a nice team there, and will likely make more savvy signings in the summer. I see them as being in a similar spot to Villa, like you said. Newcastle also have the cash to splash, so that's somewhere to watch as well.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Baphomet » Tue May 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Bayern signing both Gravenberch and Laimer, looking to upgrade midfield depth.

Chelsea will spend big on defenders this summer with Rudiger and probably Alonso leaving too.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,862

Post#7 » by stormi » Tue May 10, 2022 5:27 pm

Chelsea links so far defender wise from a variety of semi to reliable sources:

• Jules Koundé (CB)
• Kalidou Koulibaly (CB)
• Joško Gvardiol (CB)
• Marc Cucurella (LWB/LB)

I really like all four players. The barracks definitely need restrengthening with the departures of Azpi/Rudi/Christensen and Silva coming very soon as well.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:34 pm

Baphomet wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:With the Prem now being able to use 5 subs in game, we are about to see A LOT of teams spending money this season for depth. Also teams want to close the gaps depending on their tier.

Not sure about Spurs and Arsenal being in a second tier. I've said it before, but Arsenal need a top quality central midfielder, and a striker. Get one or both of them and they should be able to replicate what they've done this season and compete for top four. If not, they might fall back with midweek games to contend with next season.

There's still a big question mark over Spurs because we don't know if Kane will stay. City signing Haaland obviously rules out one destination, but I believe his future at the club hinges on Conte. If Conte stays/signs an extension, then I believe Kane will too. We have the genesis of a very good front three with him, Sonny and Kulusevski. Positions to upgrade are central midfield, backup striker and most importantly: wing backs. I love Hojbjerg's passion for the club and I still see him as a good backup, but we need a more creative mind to play next to Bentancur in our starting 11, to take playmaking pressure off Kane. Possibly another CB? If Dier and Davies play like they did against Liverpool more frequently, we might not need one. Romero is obviously mustard, absolute beast.

It feels like I say this every year, but Palace are a team to watch. I think Vieira's building quite a nice team there, and will likely make more savvy signings in the summer. I see them as being in a similar spot to Villa, like you said. Newcastle also have the cash to splash, so that's somewhere to watch as well.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I just put Spurs and Arsenal there as you are not that far off from Chelsea although on paper Chelsea have a better squad. I guess it just shows how big the gap is between City/Liverpool and the rest of the top 4, while the rest of the league are not that far off from each other.

I hope Conte stays at Tottenham though, I'm curious to see what he builds there. I'm surprised Tottenham are not in for Tielemans or Paqueta? Arsenal have a good base right now and like you said the right CM and striker will make them insanely better. They are still a very young team as well so they have time.

I have a soft spot for Palace (I used to live not far from their stadium and when I played I'd train at their training ground during the off season) so I'd want them to be a top half team (not at the expense of Villa of course). Newcastle will splash the cash, I'm interested in who they can lure, problem is that some players they want they won't get because they want to play in Europe. Villa have pretty much signed Coutinho which should help us attract quality players, we have a decent to good squad we just need a better CB, an actual DM or two, a LB that can challenge Digne and another striker maybe? Should be fun times this transfer window
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,341

Post#9 » by Shaazzam » Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 pm

i really wonder what kind of madness man u is going to get up to this summer
think we need a purge but we MUST get some CMs
screw the STs, defenders, wingers (ugh so many wide players) we MUST improve in the middle of the park first and foremost
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Baphomet » Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Shaazzam wrote:i really wonder what kind of madness man u is going to get up to this summer
think we need a purge but we MUST get some CMs
screw the STs, defenders, wingers (ugh so many wide players) we MUST improve in the middle of the park first and foremost

Honestly think United will set a new record for signings and outgoings this season.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,136

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 11, 2022 4:16 pm

Off topic, but are United fans cool and use term ''Man u''? I always thought it was an insult to call United like that, as it originated from their haters, spelling that team man u, but pronouncing it - manure. So I always avoid saying Man U.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Baphomet » Wed May 11, 2022 6:19 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Off topic, but are United fans cool and use term ''Man u''? I always thought it was an insult to call United like that, as it originated from their haters, spelling that team man u, but pronouncing it - manure. So I always avoid saying Man U.

Not a United fan of course but I have a lot of family that supports them. I always thought it was the opposite? That Manure was a derogatory term derived from Man U. The latter is what everybody called them when I was a kid, without any insult intended.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,475

Post#13 » by Foye » Wed May 11, 2022 6:57 pm

Adeyemi to Dortmund.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,475

Post#14 » by Foye » Wed May 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Baphomet wrote:Bayern signing both Gravenberch and Laimer, looking to upgrade midfield depth.

Chelsea will spend big on defenders this summer with Rudiger and probably Alonso leaving too.

Well Bayern can use some fresh blood. Their current roster doesn’t exactly look like they are overly ambitious. I‘d get rid of Sane if I was them.
stormi
General Manager

Post#15 » by stormi » Wed May 11, 2022 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Massive (and unfair) if true. Was praying they'd take Rice who's vastly inferior.
stormi
General Manager

Post#16 » by stormi » Wed May 11, 2022 9:13 pm

If anything, 10 Hag's clout being able to lock down Timber & De Jong makes the hiring a huge success regardless.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,136

Post#17 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Your Ajax is showing, United. Very nice deal,
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Baphomet » Wed May 11, 2022 11:58 pm

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Massive (and unfair) if true. Was praying they'd take Rice who's vastly inferior.

You sure?

Bear in mind Rice also plays for West Ham who have the ball much less than Barcelona.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Baphomet » Thu May 12, 2022 12:13 am

To clarify, I like De Jong, I think he's a good player and would be a good signing for United if that information is correct, but Rice is already looking like he's on a world class trajectory and already has a wealth of Premier League experience. It's an apples and oranges thing anyway because Rice is more defensive-minded than De Jong and they don't quite play the same role. However, there are very few DMs in world football that project to be better than Rice.

His stats are favourable even in comparison to other top DM prospects like Camavinga and Tchouameni. If you don't rate him, it might be time to reassess that take.
stormi
General Manager

Post#20 » by stormi » Thu May 12, 2022 2:39 am

Baphomet wrote:
stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

You sure?

Bear in mind Rice also plays for West Ham who have the ball much less than Barcelona.

Really not a fan of Declan Rice, especially for a possession based team. He's a superior athlete no doubt and a great tackler I think he's better suited for a counter attacking side. He's not great at ball retention and his passing radius is limited, although he's great at carrying the ball.

If Rice were like 40M's, he'd be a lot more interesting in having a conversation over. Like why would you ever pay 85+ for Rice when a similar (if not better) Bissouma is sitting at Brighton waiting to get plucked?

If I was spending on a box-to-box midfielder I'd pay for Tchouaméni first, he looks like a Casemiro regen. De Jong second. Caqueret third.

Return to The General Soccer Board