Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,651

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II 

Post#41 » by Baphomet » Sun May 14, 2023 7:13 pm

Baseline81 wrote:That is precisely my point. It's too quick of a move for Alonso. Again, I apologize for continuing to bring up someone like Lampard, who had a lone successful season at Derby before jumping to Chelsea.

Speaking of Pochettino, he began his managerial role in La Liga for a few years prior to his time with Southampton.

Yeah, Poch did very well at Espanyol. Secured survival from what appeared to be an impossible position and beat Pep's Barcelona in the process. He's a great coach, we'll have to see how he does at Chelsea with their current issues.

My belief is that good coaches will generally find a way to succeed in most conditions. For every other Lampard there's a Xavi, who's only prior experience before taking over at a rapidly decaying Barca was a couple of seasons at Al Sadd in the Qatar Stars league, and now may lift the La Liga title later today. There may be something to be said for Barca's financial antics there, but that's another discussion.

Again, I'm not Xabi Alonso's agent or anything and I'm not lobbying for him to get the job, but I think he's an option that the Spurs board should consider despite his short tenure in the top flight, and if he has the quality that has been touted, there's little reason why he can't continue to develop here as well, assuming the club plays ball. If he wants to stay at Leverkusen though, I completely understand and respect that.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#42 » by Baseline81 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:18 pm

HIF wrote:You seem to be talking crap.

Spurs are a BIG club, one of the biggest in the world. They play in the best league in the world and they play in Europe. They will get a top manager and you can go back to using Lampard as your only example to try and put down English football.

Times are changing.

Prior to being sold, did you think Newcastle United would be in the mix for CL? That likely isn't going away with their new owners. In fact, within the next couple of years, I would imagine the magpies will be considered a "big" club. Don't get me wrong, the Spurs do hold that status, but they are further down the pecking order.

Here's the issue, though. Levy chased the big name -- Mourinho and Conte -- in hopes of a trophy. But now Tottenham needs to rebuild. They should be copying Manchester United in choosing someone like ten Hag, who honed his craft at Ajax for 4.5 years, over another name like Poch.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#43 » by SgtPepper » Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 am

Spurs are only big in non-sporting terms. That makes their sporting results underwhelming to me.
Alonso is beloved by all the clubs he played for, meaning when he wants to move from Leverkusen more competitive franchises including Bayern, Real, Pool, and Sociedad (yes I rate them and Leverkusen as more credible title threats) will be interested. Spurs absolutely doesn't belong in the conversation now that it's clear the board/Levy are incompatible with WC coaches and not vice versa.

I also agree with Baseline in that it's too early and Alonso should target some titles before he considers moving to the EPL.

There's a great video by the YouTube channel Football made Simple covering why German league coaches have been disproportionately WC and English coaches not that relates to this.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Baphomet » Mon May 15, 2023 1:20 am

If you squint a little bit, Arne Slot looks very slightly like a bald Animorphs Poch, so he meets my criteria.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#45 » by Baseline81 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:04 pm

Like Kompany remaining with Burnley, a sensible decision from Alonso.
Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Baphomet » Wed May 17, 2023 2:48 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Like Kompany remaining with Burnley, a sensible decision from Alonso.
Read on Twitter

They recently signed Grimaldo as well, building something decent at Leverkusen. We'll see how it goes for them.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#47 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 19, 2023 6:50 pm

What's your gut feel for odds Spurs make top 6? Brighton have a game in hand but one of those is against City.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Baphomet » Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm

SgtPepper wrote:What's your gut feel for odds Spurs make top 6? Brighton have a game in hand but one of those is against City.

Pretty low. Tomorrow's game against Brentford will likely be a non-event due to Toney's suspension, could go either way, but I don't trust Spurs to show up against a relegation battling Leeds. Heads dropped 5-6 months ago, even before the World Cup break.

Depends on what the other teams do.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#49 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 8:44 am

Spurs will make top 6.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#50 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 1:54 pm

well that sums up Spurs. Leeds must be thinking survival is possible.

HIF
RealGM

Post#51 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 3:08 pm

Incredible to think that Spurs and Chelsea will miss out on Europe and yet still bring in big managers.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Baphomet » Sat May 20, 2023 6:55 pm

HIF wrote:Incredible to think that Spurs and Chelsea will miss out on Europe and yet still bring in big managers.

Depends on whether you consider Arne Slot a big manager. He just won the Eredivisie and has Feyenoord playing great football in the process. I hope he gets the job, I've been waiting for a manager in his mould to take the reins since Poch left, far more suited to a long-term project.

I've been enjoying this thread's activity even if it's mostly agreement on how **** Spurs are.
HIF
RealGM

Post#53 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 7:42 pm

Baphomet wrote:
HIF wrote:Incredible to think that Spurs and Chelsea will miss out on Europe and yet still bring in big managers.

Depends on whether you consider Arne Slot a big manager. He just won the Eredivisie and has Feyenoord playing great football in the process. I hope he gets the job, I've been waiting for a manager in his mould to take the reins since Poch left, far more suited to a long-term project.

I've been enjoying this thread's activity even if it's mostly agreement on how **** Spurs are.

And it can only feel better writing when you see Arsenal lose to Forest.

HIF
RealGM

Post#54 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Your Derby team loses and confirms the bottle job, mine Derby team wins, secures survival and puts the penultimate nail in our coffin.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Baphomet » Sat May 20, 2023 7:49 pm

HIF wrote:Your Derby team loses and confirms the bottle job, mine Derby team wins, secures survival and puts the penultimate nail in our coffin.

I'm still sorry to see it, though. Leicester fans don't deserve this. What a rollercoaster these last 10 years have been. Climbing the divisions to winning the Premier League and the FA Cup, then eventually relegation again.

If you do go down, hopefully you're able to come back up soon.
HIF
RealGM

Post#56 » by HIF » Thu May 25, 2023 9:18 am

So slot said no?

I haven't seen the full story yet.

with the top 6 sorted it's down to who gets relegated and who gets the 7th place in the league for Conference matches. Spurs would probably benefit from missing out on Europe and rebuilding next season with less matches to play.

HIF
RealGM

Post#57 » by HIF » Thu May 25, 2023 10:01 am

Brendan is still available.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#58 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm

I'm not sure where the Spurs turn to now. Shades of when they ended up with Nuno Espirito Santo.
Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Baphomet » Thu May 25, 2023 3:00 pm

It's going to be Brendo isn't it?
HIF
RealGM

Post#60 » by HIF » Thu May 25, 2023 4:20 pm

Baphomet wrote:It's going to be Brendo isn't it?

Sorry.

Return to The General Soccer Board