The City Way

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

The City Way 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:56 am

Interesting article about how the owners of Man City are pioneering a new model for expanding their branding all over the world.

City is owned by the City Football Group, a holding company which owns almost a dozen clubs throughout the world, including the NYC FC team in the MLS. They use the same branding, for instance the NYC FC team has similar jersey colors and designs as Man City. It's deliberate and unless the club they acquire already has a well-established brand with kits which have a lot of history, they change it to the Man City themes.

But the strategy behind collecting clubs goes well beyond uniforms and visual branding.

They actually park some prospects, like a 17 year old Brazilian forward on NYC FC who may some day be good enough to be transferred to the flagship club of CFG.

Rather than loan prospects to other clubs, they park them in other clubs owned by CFG, so that they play under the same system as City and go through the same development process, same analytics, etc.

In fact, when some of these clubs, such as a Belgian club in the lower divisions, are making big transfer decisions, they actually consult by teleconference with some personnel people at MC.

These other CFG clubs have bigger budgets than other clubs in their leagues, just like MC. There haven't been any stars developed through this system yet. For one thing, MC just buys the best players, not rely so heavily on internal development, at least since the Emirati have owned them.

But other owners are starting to use similar strategies:

The success of CFG's corporate model has been noticed by other investors who have been building stables of clubs, such as Miami-based 777 Partners, which has added Genoa, Vasco da Gama, Standard Liege and Red Star to its portfolio in the past year alone. The United World group, run by Saudi Arabia's Prince Abdullah, is built around Sheffield United. David Blitzer, Real Salt Lake principal owner, has holdings in England, Germany and Spain. Red Bull has six clubs from Austria to Ghana. None of those has the same degree of integration as CFG or a similar corporate structure, but the building blocks are there.

Inevitably, there will be others. For the same $3 billion that Boehly and his partners recently paid for Chelsea, an entity could buy an MLS club and add teams in every country where CFG now operates and beyond. The ownership stakes in Palermo, Lommel, Troyes and Montevideo were acquired for a total of less than $50 million. Boehly himself seems interested in adding several smaller clubs to create a similar stable.

Read in ESPN: https://apple.news/AJRSfFKPnTnCnsAz07KhiYA

There may come a time when these conglomerates have teams in the same competition. For instance, if their other clubs do well enough in the top divisions of these other countries, they may be UCL opponents, in which case UEFA would force them to have one of the clubs withdraw.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: The City Way 

Post#2 » by HIF » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 am

It's a sad day for football when owners have this power to "park" players in lesser clubs not allowing the second level of top clubs to play them.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,475

Post#3 » by Foye » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:54 am

First and foremost it is a **** model.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#4 » by LDNMagic90 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Villa are about to do the same... Our owners have plans to make a MLS team in Las Vegas, i think its happening actually. One of our owners is Wes Edens (Bucks co-owner i believe), so i guess it makes sense to have a team in MLS. However I'm not that keep on this model if I'm honest, the thought of 'hoarding' players between teams you own shouldn't happen. Chelsea were heavily criticized for having loads of players on the books but loaned out and this is essentially the same thing.
HIF
RealGM

Post#5 » by HIF » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:36 am

I think there should be a FIFA rule that no owner can have shares in more than one team in the world.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#6 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 am

Horse has already left the barn, unless they can force these conglomerates to sell these other teams.
HIF
RealGM

Post#7 » by HIF » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:38 am

wco81 wrote:Horse has already left the barn, unless they can force these conglomerates to sell these other teams.

They can always try. Farm teams - it's not football

Return to The General Soccer Board