Is the GOAT debate over ?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Jfh20
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,773

Re: Is the GOAT debate over ? 

Post#41 » by Jfh20 » Thu May 4, 2023 11:43 am

Hilarious… how does this guy even have a goat argument? he scored 7 goals, 4 of them were gifted penalties and the one in the final was not a pen… fifa needed this guy to win for Qatar to give them bonuses… most rigged World Cup I ever seen. Brazilian Ronaldo is da goat. he didn’t need gifted pens from fifa to win a wc
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

Post#42 » by Foye » Thu May 4, 2023 12:50 pm

Jfh20 wrote:Hilarious… how does this guy even have a goat argument? he scored 7 goals, 4 of them were gifted penalties and the one in the final was not a pen… fifa needed this guy to win for Qatar to give them bonuses… most rigged World Cup I ever seen. Brazilian Ronaldo is da goat. he didn’t need gifted pens from fifa to win a wc

Brazilian Ronaldo is widely not even regarded top 5 considering his prime didn't last for more than a couple years due to injuries.
Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#43 » by Jfh20 » Thu May 4, 2023 1:09 pm

Foye wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:Hilarious… how does this guy even have a goat argument? he scored 7 goals, 4 of them were gifted penalties and the one in the final was not a pen… fifa needed this guy to win for Qatar to give them bonuses… most rigged World Cup I ever seen. Brazilian Ronaldo is da goat. he didn’t need gifted pens from fifa to win a wc

Brazilian Ronaldo is widely not even regarded top 5 considering his prime didn't last for more than a couple years due to injuries.

Brazilian Ronaldo is a ballon d or recipient, 2x World Cups, probably made the greatest comeback ever known in sports. No one gets injured like dat, and comes back better than he was before n wins it all. If you think longetivity is the way to measure a goat than Lebron is better than jordan(which he ain’t) and pele is goat (3 wcs) … longetivity is the dumbest argument ever for goat.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#44 » by magik9113 » Thu May 4, 2023 1:39 pm

Jfh20 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Brazilian Ronaldo is a ballon d or recipient, 2x World Cups, probably made the greatest comeback ever known in sports. No one gets injured like dat, and comes back better than he was before n wins it all. If you think longetivity is the way to measure a goat than Lebron is better than jordan(which he ain’t) and pele is goat (3 wcs) … longetivity is the dumbest argument ever for goat.

you French, Portuguese, or Brazilian?
Foye

Post#45 » by Foye » Fri May 5, 2023 2:15 pm

Jfh20 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Ronaldo didn't even play a single game to win his first world cup. Romario was the best player in 1994.
In 2002, they met a German team in the final that nobody even in Germany itself expected to make it much further than past the round of 16. Ballack was banned in the final. Both in 2000 and in 2004 EC the German teams didn't make it past the group stage. Tells a lot about the quality of German football during that time. About as good as today - which means far away from top class - I would say. :lol:

Plus, Ronaldo's teams in all world cups. 1994, 1998 and 2002 were much better than any NT squad Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo have ever played with. Brazil was absolutely dominant at that time and had several all-time greats like Romario, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho during those years.

All in all, Ronaldo was a great player but he does not belong anywhere into the top 5.
Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by Jfh20 » Fri May 5, 2023 3:43 pm

Foye wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Ronaldo didn't even play a single game to win his first world cup. Romario was the best player in 1994.
In 2002, they met a German team in the final that nobody even in Germany itself expected to make it much further than past the round of 16. Ballack was banned in the final. Both in 2000 and in 2004 EC the German teams didn't make it past the group stage. Tells a lot about the quality of German football during that time. About as good as today - which means far away from top class - I would say. :lol:

Plus, Ronaldo's teams in all world cups. 1994, 1998 and 2002 were much better than any NT squad Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo have ever played with. Brazil was absolutely dominant at that time and had several all-time greats like Romario, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho during those years.

All in all, Ronaldo was a great player but he does not belong anywhere into the top 5.

One of the best number 9s to ever to step on the pitch , you’re right he’s not top 5 he’s literally da goat … I guarantee anyone who could go back in time would rather watch r9 than Messi… the guy from 98 to 02 was the best footballer the world had ever seen… you can knock German football in 02 if you like, but just remember Brazil in 02 would have beaten any team in history… they were footballs golden state warriors of 2017. The greatest show on turf.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#47 » by Baphomet » Fri May 5, 2023 4:44 pm

I admire your passion for R9 and given the choice, I absolutely would go back in time to watch him play again. One of the most electrifying players to watch in his prime, along with Ronaldinho.

But you have to admit that it's a bit of an absurd claim to call Messi's argument for GOAT into question like he has no business being in the discussion. His body of work and footballing qualities speak for themselves and extend far beyond the World Cup. I say that as someone who isn't especially keen on him and find his ardent fans mostly insufferable.
Foye

Post#48 » by Foye » Sat May 6, 2023 7:37 am

I don’t know what we are arguing here to be honest.

It is like saying Leicester or Liverpool is the best team in the Premier League last decade because they won it once. No they are not - City is.

Plus - Ronaldo‘s best season on club level was in 1996/97. He was never the same after his knee injury in 2000.

Messi and C. Ronaldo have multiple season (both at least 5) which were just as good or better than Ronaldos best season individually.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#49 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 19, 2023 6:07 pm

Any chance a City player displaces Messi for the upcoming BdO?
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#50 » by SgtPepper » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:05 pm

#JulianAlvarez2023
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 976

Post#51 » by Djoker » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:11 pm

8th Ballon D'Or for Messi!

It was an honour watching this man play since 2005. I remember a buddy of mine back then when we were still in high school said this kid is going to be great but this great... nobody could have envisioned it. He is the perfect combination of talent, hard work and humility. And we're the same age both born in 87 so it's even harder for me not to love the guy. I always loved football but he made me an even bigger fan of the sport. This will surely be his last Ballon but he's left an indelible imprint on the game.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#52 » by antonac » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:28 pm

Tbh this just proves that the ballon d'Or is nothing but marketing tool.

Messi wasn't even the best player at his own club in Paris last season and then moved to a retirement league for players that can't hack Europe. And he's the best player in the world this year? Lol.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#53 » by bbms » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:26 am

no, it has just started

lionel messi just earned the right to sit at pelé's table
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#54 » by AK47MVP » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:How is this a debate when arguably the greatest assister, goal-scorer and dribbler are the same exact person?

I don't think Messi is better assister than Michael Laudrup. He was Magic Johnson of football when it comes to passing and is not yet surpassed. Watch this if you need reminder

Return to The General Soccer Board