Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Re: Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024 

Post#381 » by -Luke- » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:22 am

Bayern is pretty thin on the defensive positions. And now Kim will play at the Asia Cup and Mazraoui at the Africa Cup. So thin becomes even thinner. Would be a good transfer, as Dier can play every position they need.

They still need a real DM though. It has become rather quiet around Palinha and Zubimendi. Tuchel will go berserk if he doesn't get a new guy there.

Sancho back to Dortmund on a loan.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,458

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#382 » by Foye » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:16 pm

Werner to Tottenham?

The hell is Tottenham management smoking? He is done @Baph
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#383 » by Baphomet » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:20 pm

Foye wrote:Werner to Tottenham?

The hell is Tottenham management smoking? He is done @Baph

Only a 6 month loan with an option but no obligation to buy. I'm guessing it's just forward cover now that Veliz is injured, and with Son out at the AFC Asian Cup.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#384 » by Baphomet » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:25 pm

Bayern came in to try and sign Dragusin in the 11th hour, but he chose Spurs in the end, which honestly feels great.

It makes sense, since when everyone is fit and healthy he'd likely be fourth string at Bayern behind Kim, De Ligt and Upamecano. At Spurs he will be rotating in with the perennially injured/suspended Romero and Van de Ven and will likely get a lot of starts.

Meanwhile, we just sold Dier to Bayern as a consolation prize. Good luck Eric. Love the guy, honestly, and I wish him the best with his big move.

Sancho has returned to Dortmund on loan, and Barco has arrived at Brighton for £8m. Does anyone have any insight into Barco? I've heard he's a pretty top talent but haven't seen him play. On the surface it seems like a pretty astute move by Brighton.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#385 » by magik9113 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:02 pm

Baphomet wrote:Bayern came in to try and sign Dragusin in the 11th hour, but he chose Spurs in the end, which honestly feels great.

It makes sense, since when everyone is fit and healthy he'd likely be fourth string at Bayern behind Kim, De Ligt and Upamecano. At Spurs he will be rotating in with the perennially injured/suspended Romero and Van de Ven and will likely get a lot of starts.

pretty cool of him to turn down Bayern. Makes sense from a football perspective as the kid just wants to be a starter. Juve will get 20% i believe of his sale $, but at the end of the day not keeping him will go down as another regrettable decision by the Juventus management.

Meanwhile Juve try and hijack Napoli's move for 21 yr old Udinese midfielder Samardzic
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#386 » by SgtPepper » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:16 am

Baphomet wrote:Meanwhile, we just sold Dier to Bayern as a consolation prize. Good luck Eric. Love the guy, honestly, and I wish him the best with his big move.

Spurs won in that transfer. Honestly makes me doubt Tuchel, as his rationale is that it frees their least skilled outfielder (Goretzka). Bayern definitely benefit from the extra defensive depth.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#387 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:16 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Spurs won in that transfer. Honestly makes me doubt Tuchel, as his rationale is that it frees their least skilled outfielder (Goretzka). Bayern definitely benefit from the extra defensive depth.

Possibly a move to appease Kane...
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#388 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:04 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Meanwhile, we just sold Dier to Bayern as a consolation prize. Good luck Eric. Love the guy, honestly, and I wish him the best with his big move.

Spurs won in that transfer. Honestly makes me doubt Tuchel, as his rationale is that it frees their least skilled outfielder (Goretzka). Bayern definitely benefit from the extra defensive depth.

It was strange that Goretzka was covering as a pseudo-CB in the first place, even with the missing personnel. He's a fairly adaptable player but there had to have been better options at the club. I only watch Bayern casually though, so I couldn't say why with any certainty.

Dier's best years are definitely behind him. His peak at Spurs came at the peak of Pochettino's tenure, when he and Victor Wanyama formed an unlikely defensive midfield pairing, with Dier rotating in for the brilliant but perpetually injured Mousa Dembele. He's lost a lot of mobility in the 6 or 7 years since then. Besides a 3-4 month spell where he looked indomitable under Mourinho and Spurs fans semi-ironically began calling him "Virgil Van Dier", he typically has flattered to deceive as a CB.

But perhaps a fresh chance at a new club will help him. He's still only 29, I forget how young he was when he made his Spurs debut (a game in which he scored a late winner), as it feels like he's been around for a long time.

Return to The General Soccer Board