Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024 

Post#361 » by HIF » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:49 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:All that says to me is that Liverpool develop and get decent money for their assets while other clubs struggle to shift their deadweight. According to the same CIES report, not factoring in outgoings, Liverpool spent the 4th largest amount in the Premier League on players in that timespan, which is about where you'd expect them to be, behind the oil clubs like City and Chelsea and dunce clubs like United, but ahead of everyone else.

I don't have the exact figures, but I'd wager Liverpool spend more on wages/salary than a lot of those clubs too.

For me, what jumps out isn't how much smaller Liverpool's net spend is to top-4 rivals, but how close it is to bottom- and mid-table clubs.

Yes, LFC have done well in regards to transfer fees received on outgoing players. However, the worrying part is how they continue to put limits on themselves. Those limits have allowed lower clubs to surpass them in spending, which, given the revenue Liverpool generate, shouldn't be happening.

And with the likes of Fabinho, Firmino, Henderson, Keita, Milner and Ox off the books, the wage bill should have come down. Next summer, Thiago and Matip leave on a free to open even more room.

Liverpool have spent obscene amounts on players. I hope you're not trying to justify their poor performanecs with these figures.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#362 » by Baseline81 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 2:59 pm

HIF wrote:Liverpool have spent obscene amounts on players. I hope you're not trying to justify their poor performanecs with these figures.

What?

I understand, as a fan of Leicester City, you struggle to grasp club spending. But what that table shows is Liverpool isn't throwing around the "obscene" amounts you claim, at least compared to other PL clubs.

And what poor performances have the club had? Last season was the first in many in which they did not reach the CL (finished 5th), largely due to an aging and injury-prone midfield. This campaign has started well, 9 of 12 points, already playing two away matches against Chelsea and Newcastle United.
HIF
RealGM

Post#363 » by HIF » Fri Sep 8, 2023 3:53 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:Liverpool have spent obscene amounts on players. I hope you're not trying to justify their poor performanecs with these figures.

What?

I understand, as a fan of Leicester City, you struggle to grasp club spending. But what that table shows is Liverpool isn't throwing around the "obscene" amounts you claim, at least compared to other PL clubs.

And what poor performances have the club had? Last season was the first in many in which they did not reach the CL (finished 5th), largely due to an aging and injury-prone midfield. This campaign has started well, 9 of 12 points, already playing two away matches against Chelsea and Newcastle United.

They spend more on one player than most teams spend on their entire transfer window. They spend obscene amounts. Sure you managed to make some dodgy looking deals like couthino and hendersen etc... to get money in, but whether you like it or not you spend obscene amounts. Chelsea could point to the money they've recuperated from sales but that doesn't mean they haven't spent obscene amounts on purchases.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#364 » by Baseline81 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 4:23 pm

HIF wrote:They spend more on one player than most teams spend on their entire transfer window. They spend obscene amounts. Sure you managed to make some dodgy looking deals like couthino and hendersen etc... to get money in, but whether you like it or not you spend obscene amounts. Chelsea could point to the money they've recuperated from sales but that doesn't mean they haven't spent obscene amounts on purchases.

Dodgy deals... Countinho and Henderson couldn't be more different. Coutinho, in his prime, went to Barcelona for a heck of a lot more (greater than £100M) than Henderson, on the downside of his career, from a Saudi club (£12M).

You and I have had this disagreement before. As someone who watches the top leagues, mainly the PL, transfer fees made by lower divisions is irrelevant to me. As such, your definition of "obscene" doesn't match mine. If you cannot grasp that concept, that is on you.

And when a club moves on players, it has the right to spend said funds on one player or break the amount into multiple players. Regardless, Liverpool has done so financially responsible. The same cannot be said of Chelsea -- not only have they broke the PL transfer record twice in the past two windows (Enzo and Caicedo) but also outspent nearly every league during Boehly's reign.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#365 » by Baphomet » Fri Sep 8, 2023 5:14 pm

Liverpool's recruitment has generally been good, I'd say. It took them a long time to replenish that midfield but the early signs for Szoboszlai and Mac Allister are promising. It's much too early to evaluate Gravenberch and Endo, but on a surface level the former wasn't able to kick on for Bayern, and Endo seems a bit like a panic signing. Both might prove to be handy additions, though. I'm not an avid watcher of Liverpool (though I will watch them when they're on) so I can't really say how Klopp plans to use and rotate them. Diaz and Darwin both also look like quality players to me.

They did miss out on Caicedo and Lavia to Chelsea, and while some Liverpool fans might say that's a bullet dodged given Caicedo's disastrous start for Chelsea, I think either player would have hit the ground running at Liverpool where there's a real team structure to integrate them into rather than the scatter-shot Football Manager-esque carnage of Boehly's Chelsea. I think if Caicedo had wanted to come to Liverpool, it would have elevated them to a level closer, though likely not equal to, Man City.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#366 » by Baseline81 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 6:17 pm

Baphomet wrote:Liverpool's recruitment has generally been good, I'd say. It took them a long time to replenish that midfield but the early signs for Szoboszlai and Mac Allister are promising. It's much too early to evaluate Gravenberch and Endo, but on a surface level the former wasn't able to kick on for Bayern, and Endo seems a bit like a panic signing. Both might prove to be handy additions, though. I'm not an avid watcher of Liverpool (though I will watch them when they're on) so I can't really say how Klopp plans to use and rotate them. Diaz and Darwin both also look like quality players to me.

They did miss out on Caicedo and Lavia to Chelsea, and while some Liverpool fans might say that's a bullet dodged given Caicedo's disastrous start for Chelsea, I think either player would have hit the ground running at Liverpool where there's a real team structure to integrate them into rather than the scatter-shot Football Manager-esque carnage of Boehly's Chelsea. I think if Caicedo had wanted to come to Liverpool, it would have elevated them to a level closer, though likely not equal to, Man City.

There's no doubt Caicedo was a miss. Every LFC fan, including myself, was over the moon when the initial news broke that a fee had been agreed between the two clubs. As I stated in his Chelsea debut, fans were just happy to see his howler after turning down a chance to play for Klopp.

In regards to Lavia (19 years old), I'm not so sure. Longer term, I do believe he would have come good, but the club already has a youth project in the same position in Bajcetic (18), who, before his injury, played very well last year.

Gravenberch, however, I am willing to give him a pass for his lone year at Bayern Munich under two different managers. Appears to have been the wrong move for him -- unlikely to be anything other than a bit player in that midfield. Klopp had wanted him prior to his move to Germany. He will certainly see the pitch more. There are those wondering if Klopp may try Gravenberch as a defensive midfielder to pivot with TAA. I am not one of them, instead my thinking is he'll rotate with the new 8's (Mac Allister and Szoboszlai).

Endo, for me, is nothing more than a stop gap. Liverpool had to stop the bleeding after the failed attempts for Caicedo and Lavia, if nothing more than to show teams the club wasn't desperate (as seen in the fee Crystal Palace wanted for Doucoure).
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#367 » by MetalFingaz » Fri Sep 8, 2023 11:03 pm

Baseline81 wrote:There's no doubt Caicedo was a miss. Every LFC fan, including myself, was over the moon when the initial news broke that a fee had been agreed between the two clubs. As I stated in his Chelsea debut, fans were just happy to see his howler after turning down a chance to play for Klopp.

In regards to Lavia (19 years old), I'm not so sure. Longer term, I do believe he would have come good, but the club already has a youth project in the same position in Bajcetic (18), who, before his injury, played very well last year.

Gravenberch, however, I am willing to give him a pass for his lone year at Bayern Munich under two different managers. Appears to have been the wrong move for him -- unlikely to be anything other than a bit player in that midfield. Klopp had wanted him prior to his move to Germany. He will certainly see the pitch more. There are those wondering if Klopp may try Gravenberch as a defensive midfielder to pivot with TAA. I am not one of them, instead my thinking is he'll rotate with the new 8's (Mac Allister and Szoboszlai).

Endo, for me, is nothing more than a stop gap. Liverpool had to stop the bleeding after the failed attempts for Caicedo and Lavia, if nothing more than to show teams the club wasn't desperate (as seen in the fee Crystal Palace wanted for Doucoure).

Totally agree. If Gravenberch can improve on Jones/Elliott, then it's a good buy. Anything beyond is gravy. It would be great if we could find a long-term 6 so Mac Allister doesn't have to play there regularly, but I suspect next summer will be focused on CBs, a Robertson replacement, and probably a Salah replacement.
It's time for 5 refs.
HIF
RealGM

Post#368 » by HIF » Sat Sep 9, 2023 8:48 am

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:They spend more on one player than most teams spend on their entire transfer window. They spend obscene amounts. Sure you managed to make some dodgy looking deals like couthino and hendersen etc... to get money in, but whether you like it or not you spend obscene amounts. Chelsea could point to the money they've recuperated from sales but that doesn't mean they haven't spent obscene amounts on purchases.

Dodgy deals... Countinho and Henderson couldn't be more different. Coutinho, in his prime, went to Barcelona for a heck of a lot more (greater than £100M) than Henderson, on the downside of his career, from a Saudi club (£12M).

You and I have had this disagreement before. As someone who watches the top leagues, mainly the PL, transfer fees made by lower divisions is irrelevant to me. As such, your definition of "obscene" doesn't match mine. If you cannot grasp that concept, that is on you.

And when a club moves on players, it has the right to spend said funds on one player or break the amount into multiple players. Regardless, Liverpool has done so financially responsible. The same cannot be said of Chelsea -- not only have they broke the PL transfer record twice in the past two windows (Enzo and Caicedo) but also outspent nearly every league during Boehly's reign.

Liverpool are exactly the same as chelsea they just have slightly more stupid owners who really don't understand football and haven't bought the club for football reasons. The spend obscene amounts of money and are simply fortunate that Klopp is manageing the team and that Liverpool has a great tradition.

Interesting that an admitted part time fan who only watches "big clubs" is calling out a football fan on the concept of 0bscene purchases. I guess you think football has only existed for 5 years (or however many you've actually realised football exists. Liverpool bought Suarez as the second most expensive player of all time, VVD was the most expensive defender of all time and if we go back to Liverpool's true glory years you'd see that Liverpool, even then, spent obscene amounts of money. They also spend ludicrous money on salaries. More than a team's worth of players earning over £100K a week.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#369 » by Baseline81 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 5:48 pm

HIF wrote:Liverpool are exactly the same as chelsea they just have slightly more stupid owners who really don't understand football and haven't bought the club for football reasons. The spend obscene amounts of money and are simply fortunate that Klopp is manageing the team and that Liverpool has a great tradition.

Interesting that an admitted part time fan who only watches "big clubs" is calling out a football fan on the concept of 0bscene purchases. I guess you think football has only existed for 5 years (or however many you've actually realised football exists. Liverpool bought Suarez as the second most expensive player of all time, VVD was the most expensive defender of all time and if we go back to Liverpool's true glory years you'd see that Liverpool, even then, spent obscene amounts of money. They also spend ludicrous money on salaries. More than a team's worth of players earning over £100K a week.

Not even sure where to start.

What I do know is it appears someone is salty. Could it be that his club is no longer in the PL? Or are you jealous other clubs actually spend. In the summer of 2022, Leicester ranked 19 out of 20 in net spend (last in expenditure).

As a supposed "part time fan," let me educate you a little. Suarez was not the second most expensive player of all time. And if you're referring to only Liverpool, that's also wrong. Carroll, brought in the same window as Suarez, and Torres were more expensive signings up to that point. FYI, I've supported Liverpool for nearly two decades, meanwhile, a part-time fan of other leagues (Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A).
HIF
RealGM

Post#370 » by HIF » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:11 am

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:Liverpool are exactly the same as chelsea they just have slightly more stupid owners who really don't understand football and haven't bought the club for football reasons. The spend obscene amounts of money and are simply fortunate that Klopp is manageing the team and that Liverpool has a great tradition.

Not even sure where to start.

What I do know is it appears someone is salty. Could it be that his club is no longer in the PL? Or are you jealous other clubs actually spend. In the summer of 2022, Leicester ranked 19 out of 20 in net spend (last in expenditure).

As a supposed "part time fan," let me educate you a little. Suarez was not the second most expensive player of all time. And if you're referring to only Liverpool, that's also wrong. Carroll, brought in the same window as Suarez, and Torres were more expensive signings up to that point. FYI, I've supported Liverpool for nearly two decades, meanwhile, a part-time fan of other leagues (Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A).

Hahaha. I just wanted to see if you even knew the suarez comment was a complete fabrication. 20 years? So a plastic glory hunter as well as a part time football fan then :D

If that's the case stop whining about money and liverpool - you'd know that Liverpool have spent well in excess of £100m on players in 6 of the last 10 years and average over a 100m during that time. Big club supporters who complain that they can't outspend EVERYONE are some of the most annoying fans in football.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,470

Post#371 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:35 am

HIF wrote:Hahaha. I just wanted to see if you even knew the suarez comment was a complete fabrication. 20 years? So a plastic glory hunter as well as a part time football fan then :D

If that's the case stop whining about money and liverpool - you'd know that Liverpool have spent well in excess of £100m on players in 6 of the last 10 years and average over a 100m during that time. Big club supporters who complain that they can't outspend EVERYONE are some of the most annoying fans in football.

You know what's even more annoying? Gatekeeping.

Fans complain. It's what they do. At every club. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be considered fans.

I think it has less to do with the amount that is spent & more with how the club has conducted business as of late. So yes, from a fan's perspective it can be frustrating. Especially after the disappointment of last season. It feels like they're losing ground. That's all.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Baseline81
Starter

Post#372 » by Baseline81 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:32 pm

HIF wrote:Hahaha. I just wanted to see if you even knew the suarez comment was a complete fabrication. 20 years? So a plastic glory hunter as well as a part time football fan then :D

I doubt it regarding Suarez. I've caught you a few times now showing your lack of knowledge, and not necessarily related to Liverpool.

I've never heard or read Liverpool labeled as "plastic." Chelsea and Manchester City, yes, but Liverpool, no.

Glory hunting... it's not all been peaches and cream. During my time supporting the club, appears as though I'm not as old as you are, I've experience the highs and lows.
HIF
RealGM

Post#373 » by HIF » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:29 am

Baseline81 wrote:

I doubt it regarding Suarez. I've caught you a few times now showing your lack of knowledge, and not necessarily related to Liverpool.

I've never heard or read Liverpool labeled as "plastic." Chelsea and Manchester City, yes, but Liverpool, no.

Glory hunting... it's not all been peaches and cream. During my time supporting the club, appears as though I'm not as old as you are, I've experience the highs and lows.

Teams are not plastic, only supporters.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by Baphomet » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:42 pm

magik9113 wrote:.

Spurs are close to signing defender Radu Dragusin from Genoa. I'm not familiar with his game, wondering if you could shed any light on him.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,137

Post#375 » by magik9113 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:05 pm

Baphomet wrote:

Spurs are close to signing defender Radu Dragusin from Genoa. I'm not familiar with his game, wondering if you could shed any light on him.

The kid just scored vs Inter to keep Juve alive in the scudetto race. Juve youth product. He’s only about 21 years old and was seemingly pretty desperate to stay at a Juve but we have always had an abundance of experienced center backs and had to loan him out. Now his contract is fully owned by Genoa and many juve fans—myself included—are bummed about that. He was expected to become a quality defender and that’s how it’s turning out. I expect him to have an impressive career.
He already started every euro qualifying match for Romania and they topped their group
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:10 pm

magik9113 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

The kid just scored vs Inter to keep Juve alive in the scudetto race. Juve youth product. He’s only about 21 years old and was seemingly pretty desperate to stay at a Juve but we have always had an abundance of experienced center backs and had to loan him out. Now his contract is fully owned by Genoa and many juve fans—myself included—are bummed about that. He was expected to become a quality defender and that’s how it’s turning out. I expect him to have an impressive career.
He already started every euro qualifying match for Romania and they topped their group

That's encouraging to hear. With Romero being a madman red card threat and also injury prone, and VDV likely to be rusty returning from his current layoff, we desperately need cover at CB and from what I can tell from yourself and others, people think quite highly of Dragusin. Looks like a good option.

With Kulu, Bentancur, Vicario and Udogie we've also had success signing players from Serie A, so I'm feeling good about it.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,137

Post#377 » by magik9113 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:21 pm

Napoli are also pursuing Dragusin, as well as Udinese midfielder Samardzic.

Canadian Tajon Buchanan from Club Brugge to Inter is a done deal.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#378 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 5, 2024 6:53 pm

Apparently Bayern are looking to sign Eric Dier as CB cover, among others.

Good luck to him if that goes through. Great servant of the club and a move of that calibre would be excellent for him, even as a bit player.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#379 » by MetalFingaz » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:38 pm

Baphomet wrote:Apparently Bayern are looking to sign Eric Dier as CB cover, among others.

Good luck to him if that goes through. Great servant of the club and a move of that calibre would be excellent for him, even as a bit player.

I'm one of the few people I know that rates Dier as a decent CB, though clearly he doesn't have the recovery pace Ange wants. Good luck to him.
It's time for 5 refs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:40 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Apparently Bayern are looking to sign Eric Dier as CB cover, among others.

I'm one of the few people I know that rates Dier as a decent CB, though clearly he doesn't have the recovery pace Ange wants. Good luck to him.

Yup, exactly my feelings as well. He had a few high profile errors under Conte in a back 3, but people forget that he was actually a good CB under Mourinho for a while, and a solid CB/DM under Poch. Like you said, doesn't have the recovery pace that's needed for Spurs at the moment, but a solid player and I'd be happy for him if he ended up at Bayern with Harry.

Return to The General Soccer Board