Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Re: Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024 

Post#21 » by SgtPepper » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:07 pm

One of my favorite players Di Maria leaves the Italian Utd after 1 season, similar to how to he left the other Utd. I would say he was a bit unlucky to join those clubs during phases as sinking ships, but he's from the same generation as Aguero and the latter missed out on a la liga title, world cup, and possibly a City Cl within 9 months of being put to pasture at Barca.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#22 » by HIF » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:06 am

LDNMagic90 wrote:Normally I get some news from a decent source, but this transfer window and the winter one there’s nothing. My guy has said a lot of leaks have happened where he works so they are all being watched closely.

I’ve only heard that Tielemans to Villa could happen since he wants to stay close to the midlands area and his other options didn’t materialise.

I want us to sign Gonclaves from Sporting but I doubt that happens due to the price and he may have better suitors. I’m a big fan of Nico Williams from Bilbao who Villa have been linked with a move in Jan but he wanted to see out the season with Bilbao.

One thing I hope we do is address our squad, our squad is quite small so I’m hoping we can get some bodies in this summer.

I read that Youri is supposed to be going to Villa. My first reaction was to laugh. If his vision was playing for a conf league team then why in hell didn't he re-sign with us 18 months ago at good wages. He made it clear that he wanted a CL team.

Now I realise that his game has dropped considerably since his last injury and that he has stamina problems which mean he has trouble seeing out a full season but the guy is a class player and really shouldn't be less than A Roma player. I fully expected him to sign for Liverpool - a good signing for them - but that isn't going to happen now. I know it seems I'm dissing Villa and that's not the case Emery's Villa are a very good team. But when he was making his "stand" at Leicester we were favourites to challenge for conf/europa and Villa were favourites to battle for relegation.

And the argument he wants to be close to the midlands is BS.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,342

Post#23 » by Baseline81 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:46 am

Midfield rebuild underway.

Fantastic piece of business, both in player and price:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#24 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:17 am

Life as a Benfica fan in the off-season:

Here's a list of players being currently discussed in transfer rumours with multiple teams, or that are at the end of their contract:

RB: Alexander Bah
RB: Gilberto
CB: António Silva
CB: Otamendi (free transfer, likely leaving for his beloved River Plate)
CB: Tomás Araújo
CB: Lucas Veríssimo
LB: Grimaldo (free transfer, signed with Leverkusen)

DM: Florentino Luis
CM: João Neves

ST: Gonçalo Ramos
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#25 » by LDNMagic90 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:24 pm

HIF wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:Normally I get some news from a decent source, but this transfer window and the winter one there’s nothing. My guy has said a lot of leaks have happened where he works so they are all being watched closely.

I’ve only heard that Tielemans to Villa could happen since he wants to stay close to the midlands area and his other options didn’t materialise.

I want us to sign Gonclaves from Sporting but I doubt that happens due to the price and he may have better suitors. I’m a big fan of Nico Williams from Bilbao who Villa have been linked with a move in Jan but he wanted to see out the season with Bilbao.

One thing I hope we do is address our squad, our squad is quite small so I’m hoping we can get some bodies in this summer.

I read that Youri is supposed to be going to Villa. My first reaction was to laugh. If his vision was playing for a conf league team then why in hell didn't he re-sign with us 18 months ago at good wages. He made it clear that he wanted a CL team.

Now I realise that his game has dropped considerably since his last injury and that he has stamina problems which mean he has trouble seeing out a full season but the guy is a class player and really shouldn't be less than A Roma player. I fully expected him to sign for Liverpool - a good signing for them - but that isn't going to happen now. I know it seems I'm dissing Villa and that's not the case Emery's Villa are a very good team. But when he was making his "stand" at Leicester we were favourites to challenge for conf/europa and Villa were favourites to battle for relegation.

And the argument he wants to be close to the midlands is BS.

Tbh I don’t take what you’re saying as a diss at all, in fact I know it’s a lie about him wanting to stay in the midlands. I think it’s because his blockbuster move never happened, then he downed tools for the rest of the time at Leicester. Now he’s in a situation where if he were to come to us he’s likely not to be a starter.

Another thing I’ve noticed with him, before he joined Leicester he did the same thing I’m sure. It seems like a character trait of his to just go to **** when he want a move. That’s not a player you would want around your squad tbh.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by LDNMagic90 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 1:29 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Life as a Benfica fan in the off-season:

Here's a list of players being currently discussed in transfer rumours with multiple teams, or that are at the end of their contract:

RB: Alexander Bah
RB: Gilberto
CB: António Silva
CB: Otamendi (free transfer, likely leaving for his beloved River Plate)
CB: Tomás Araújo
CB: Lucas Veríssimo
LB: Grimaldo (free transfer, signed with Leverkusen)

DM: Florentino Luis
CM: João Neves

ST: Gonçalo Ramos

I saw an outlet linking Villa to Florentino (doubt he’d come to us). I don’t think it would be a transfer window without at least one player from the Portuguese league being linked with a move away to the prem lol.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 7, 2023 9:44 pm

No talk of Messi to MLS? Pretty big deal.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Post#28 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:10 pm

Great for American fans who want to see an all-time great play while he still has something left in the tank. His Argentinian fans will also be able to get direct flights to see him play too, which I think is a pretty cool additional factor. To me though, it's an irrelevance, and he's basically moved to a retirement league. I know that might sound arrogant but I'm just being honest, not even Messi could get me to watch the MLS.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Post#29 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:19 pm

Bellingham to Real done. I wonder if they'll target Kane next? Seems to fit the profile. Will probably rely on outgoings.

Meanwhile, Kante and Benzema are linking up with Spurs legend Nuno in Saudi Arabia for Al-Ittihad.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#30 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:25 pm

I'm just happy he does not go to SA or Qatar.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#31 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:54 pm

Baphomet wrote:Great for American fans who want to see an all-time great play while he still has something left in the tank. His Argentinian fans will also be able to get direct flights to see him play too, which I think is a pretty cool additional factor. To me though, it's an irrelevance, and he's basically moved to a retirement league. I know that might sound arrogant but I'm just being honest, not even Messi could get me to watch the MLS.

Lol I can appreciate the brutal honesty.

At the very least, it should help to grow the sport over here. Along with being the next World Cup host.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Post#32 » by Mamba81p » Thu Jun 8, 2023 1:26 am

Barcelona couldn't sign him and he didn't want to wait again, and I don't think there was another alternative in Europe.

Good for him that he made the best decision for his family. He was obviously not happy in Paris. The quality of life for someone like him will be much much better in Miami than in Saudi.
Retirement league or not, I think it is a league that is growing in a healthy way, and this will definitely be a boost for them. Getting % from TV revenue and merchandise might be a great investment for the future. I don't really watch MLS but now I am going to subscribe to MLS Season Pass, and I am sure I will not be the only one. Who knows he might get his billion $ this way, instead of going to Saudi.
HIF
RealGM

Post#33 » by HIF » Thu Jun 8, 2023 11:53 am

Cactus Jack wrote:No talk of Messi to MLS? Pretty big deal.

for who?

Has been player going to a nothing league :wink:

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#34 » by The_Brecht » Thu Jun 8, 2023 12:47 pm

Some rumours I saw online:

Balogun is wanted by several clubs, including Marseille, Monaco, Inter, AC Milan, Napoli and Leipzig.
Liverpool and Inter are looking at the possibility to sing Kessié from Barcelona.
Chelsea, Arsenal and Atlético Madrid are interested in signing Zaha, who also has an offer from the Saudi.
Man Utd and Chelsea are looking at Maignan from AC Milan.
Rabiot could go to Man U, Newcastle, Bayern or back to PSG.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,342

Post#35 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 1:31 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Some rumours I was online:

Balogun is wanted by several clubs, including Marseille, Monaco, Inter, AC Milan, Napoli and Leipzig.
Liverpool and Inter are looking at the possibility to sing Kessié from Barcelona.
Chelsea, Arsenal and Atlético Madrid are interested in signing Zaha, who also has an offer from the Saudi.
Man Utd and Chelsea are looking at Maignan from AC Milan.
Rabiot could go to Man U, Newcastle, Bayern or back to PSG.

This one has been debunked.

Journalists have today stated the club's list includes Khephren Thuram, Manu Kone, Romeo Lavia and Ryan Gravenberch. How many of those are up for debate.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by LDNMagic90 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 4:58 pm

Harvey Barnes linked with West Ham, he would suit them tbh makes a lot of sense for West Ham.

I’m hearing Joao Felix being offered around to PL clubs, mainly Tottenham, Villa and Newcastle. If Kulu doesn’t sign with Spurs I can see Felix going there.

Steven Gerrard reportedly favourite for the Leicester job, I think they’d be silly to do that. I also heard they are interested in one of Man City’s assistant managers.

Benfica are interested in Kokcu.

Newcastle are showing interest in Kim Min Jae as well as Man Utd.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#37 » by SgtPepper » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:58 am

Mamba81p wrote:Barcelona couldn't sign him and he didn't want to wait again, and I don't think there was another alternative in Europe.

Good for him that he made the best decision for his family. He was obviously not happy in Paris. The quality of life for someone like him will be much much better in Miami than in Saudi.
Retirement league or not, I think it is a league that is growing in a healthy way, and this will definitely be a boost for them. Getting % from TV revenue and merchandise might be a great investment for the future. I don't really watch MLS but now I am going to subscribe to MLS Season Pass, and I am sure I will not be the only one. Who knows he might get his billion $ this way, instead of going to Saudi.

PSG was certainly another European alternative. From a historic standpoint MLS is an interesting place to end up because most of the nonfinancial pluses of going there hold for many Brazilian and Argentine teams. So his choice to go there instead is fundamentally financial with a view towards retiring altogether, yet he skipped out on the big money KSA offer following more or less the rationale I presented 6 months ago for CR7 not to go there.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Post#38 » by Mamba81p » Fri Jun 9, 2023 12:36 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:Barcelona couldn't sign him and he didn't want to wait again, and I don't think there was another alternative in Europe.

PSG was certainly another European alternative. From a historic standpoint MLS is an interesting place to end up because most of the nonfinancial pluses of going there hold for many Brazilian and Argentine teams. So his choice to go there instead is fundamentally financial with a view towards retiring altogether, yet he skipped out on the big money KSA offer following more or less the rationale I presented 6 months ago for CR7 not to go there.

Well he already tried PSG and he was very unhappy. PSG were unhappy with him too so they were not an option at all.

I don't think man city were ever an option especially now with them going for the treble.
Maybe Newcastle but I don't know if their ffp situation allowed a move like this. And he doesn't seem interested in major pay cuts so that excludes everyone else.

Ronaldo and Messi both had very limited options with their salary expectations. I am curious what will happen to neymar as he is used to big salary as well

There is a gulf between what Messi Ronaldo mbappe and Neymar are earning and everyone else and it's been like that for a while.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#39 » by SgtPepper » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:24 pm

PSG was unhappy because he was leaving. While I agree City probably wasn't an option, I disagree with the belief they had limited options in Europe considering there's been a dearth of striker talent on form in the region for a long time. The fact they left the continent signifies more that the players themselves felt they were close to retirement and wanted a retirement league. Also the salary 'expectations' were a big question because neither gain that much from a lifestyle perspective from going the KSA route. Overall it would increase lifetime earnings by 14-20% starting with the remaining 80%+ already in pocket. The story with Benz & Kante is quite different since their earnings to date were much lower.
HIF
RealGM

Post#40 » by HIF » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:06 am

Tielemans to Villa confirmed.

I think Tielemans is a class player and I think he'll do well at Villa. Villa did good. I say that first because I don't want people to think I'm dissing Villa or Tieleman's qualities with my following comments.

Tielemans refused to re-new his contract with us because he wanted to play CL football (we had just flopped to 5th in the prem and were only playing Europa league). Over the last couple of years Tielemans has continued to refuse to sign and we've been told by his agent that Real Madrid and Arsenal were the two most likely places he'd end up.

Now we see that Tielemans is going to a team that finished 7th in the Prem and who have a Conf league place. I can only laugh at Youri Tielemans. He has had a poor year, his mind has been elsewhere and his standard of play has dropped. This is part of the reason we were relegated, clearly it's not only Leicester fans who think this as we now see the best offer he got was from a non-CL team, a team who were not as good as us when he refused to re-sign a very lucrative deal with us.

He has incredible skill and with a manager of the quality of Unai Emery I'm sure that things will work out well. But if you see him puffing and panting to get back from March onwards next season, then you'll understand that Youri has been held back from being a world class talent because he has natural stamina issues which he has been unable to overcome. He runs out of steam in the final quarter of the season. Very intelligent as well as skilfull, i thought he'd end up at Liverpool, but tbh he needs a more sedate possession based team to thrive.

In the end it's a step sideways and another player shwoing that football is about money and a team is the supporters and not the owners nor the players.

Return to The General Soccer Board