2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,337

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#741 » by MaliBrah » Mon Mar 4, 2024 8:58 pm

Also it feels like all the talk is on Liverpool and Klopp's final year and going h2h with Pep. We are just lurking right now , don't have the intense pressure we were under last year
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#742 » by The_Brecht » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:44 pm

Baldock en co just trying to injure players.
And they're getting away with it.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#743 » by MaliBrah » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:54 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Baldock en co just trying to injure players.
And they're getting away with it.

Fingers crossed Martinelli is fine. He has turned a corner lately and has been sharp.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#744 » by knickabocker88 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 11:26 pm

Arsenal are better this year but the test will be Away at City and then balancing the April / May fixtures with high profile champions league match ups.

I don't think City will drop points during April/May fixtures apart from maybe away at Spurs. So these next two Man City fixtures will determine whether Liverpool will stay in the race or not.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#745 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:27 am

So Sheffield United was promoted in August and right now they look like they're going to get relegated.

Yeah a lot of matches left but they only have 3 wins and 4 draws -- same as Burnley.

How often do teams get promoted and relegated within the same season?
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#746 » by MetalFingaz » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:09 pm

wco81 wrote:So Sheffield United was promoted in August and right now they look like they're going to get relegated.

Yeah a lot of matches left but they only have 3 wins and 4 draws -- same as Burnley.

How often do teams get promoted and relegated within the same season?

There's only been 4 instances since the creation of the Premier League where all 3 newly promoted teams stayed up, most recently in 22-23 where Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest survived the drop. 97-98 is the only season where all 3 newly promoted teams (Bolton, Barnsley, Palace) went back down.
It's time for 5 refs.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#747 » by The_Brecht » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:07 pm

Fact is Burnley made a plan last season to go back to the Prem within five years.
In that period they wanted to rebuild the complete club, in all it's aspects.

They became champions after a fantastic season, but they didn't rush the proces.
That's why Kompany's still there. All the young players they've bought will learn a lot this season, which will help them in the future.

It's a refreshing vision tbh.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#748 » by MetalFingaz » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:09 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Fact is Burnley made a plan last season to go back to the Prem within five years.
In that period they wanted to rebuild the complete club, in all it's aspects.

They became champions after a fantastic season, but they didn't rush the proces.
That's why Kompany's still there. All the young players they've bought will learn a lot this season, which will help them in the future.

It's a refreshing vision tbh.

Totally. None of the newly promoted teams really went in on staying up a la Forest. If any of them stay up it'll be a miracle. Luton have the best chance, which is the biggest surprise.
It's time for 5 refs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#749 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:40 am

Some huge fixtures coming up this weekend. Liverpool and City play each other at Anfield, which gives Arsenal a chance to capitalise on at least one of the clubs above them, should they be able to beat Brentford at home. I think it's possible Liverpool will be able to play something closer to their normal starting 11 after a difficult injury-stricken period, since a few players are returning from layoffs. Should be a good game.

In the top four race, Villa and Spurs face off at Villa Park. I don't want to jinx it but I think it could be an eventful one. Both teams have among the worst records in terms of xG allowed per chance, likely as a direct result of their high lines that have otherwise benefitted their attacking outputs, so I think it's fairly likely we see a few goals.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,279

Post#750 » by Shaazzam » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:22 pm

Lolol Ramsdale! Wtf was that? What a jabroni.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#751 » by AK47MVP » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:23 pm

Wissa is a good poacher, I see him second time robing goalkeeper like that:)
wco81
RealGM

Post#752 » by wco81 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:29 pm

He hasn't played since October?

Why isn't the other goalie playing?
wco81
RealGM

Post#753 » by wco81 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:20 pm

They showed the Arsenal players and Arteta celebrating that second goal by Havertz but oddly, no camera on Ramsdale's reaction? :lol:
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#754 » by AK47MVP » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:26 pm

Havertz was not even suppose to be on the pitch... Ref saved him for not showing second yellow for blatant dive. Talk about obvious - "well second yellow card has higher threshold bull"...An offense is an offense in my book and he should have been send off.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#755 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:30 pm

AK47MVP wrote:Havertz was not even suppose to be on the pitch... Ref saved him for not showing second yellow for blatant dive. Talk about obvious - "well second yellow card has higher threshold bull"...An offense is an offense in my book and he should have been send off.

I agree, but I legit hate this Brentford team, mostly because I knew they'd **** it up in the end anyway. I know Arsenal away is a tough game, but what's the point of all that gamesmanship and time wasting if you're just going to ship a scruffy header like that anyway? They played the same way against Spurs earlier this season and spent more time copying Maddison's darts celebration than trying to play football. They used to be a decent outfit, I'm not sure what happened to them.
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#756 » by MaliBrah » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:33 pm

AK47MVP wrote:Havertz was not even suppose to be on the pitch... Ref saved him for not showing second yellow for blatant dive. Talk about obvious - "well second yellow card has higher threshold bull"...An offense is an offense in my book and he should have been send off.

We got 2 clear penalties wiped off the board lol. We are so good at set pieces and crosses now that teams are allowed free reign to just foul. Trossard was fouled and so was Gabriel. VAR is useless

Why don’t you mention that?
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#757 » by MaliBrah » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:35 pm

wco81 wrote:He hasn't played since October?

Why isn't the other goalie playing?

Loan from Brentford and not allowed to play vs parent club
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#758 » by AK47MVP » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:42 pm

Baphomet wrote:

I agree, but I legit hate this Brentford team, mostly because I knew they'd **** it up in the end anyway. I know Arsenal away is a tough game, but what's the point of all that gamesmanship and time wasting if you're just going to ship a scruffy header like that anyway? They played the same way against Spurs earlier this season and spent more time copying Maddison's darts celebration than trying to play football. They used to be a decent outfit, I'm not sure what happened to them.

Agree, I used to like Brentford way more but this season they regressed a lot. They obviously had rough start with Toney missing half the season and then Mbeumo getting injured too. Their defense now is a mess, Collins is terrible and Zanka is old, with Mee and Reguilon out they had not much to play in that back line.... So I feel they are just trying to hang in in some of those games for a point and avoid relegation.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#759 » by AK47MVP » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:45 pm

MaliBrah wrote:

We got 2 clear penalties wiped off the board lol. We are so good at set pieces and crosses now that teams are allowed free reign to just foul. Trossard was fouled and so was Gabriel. VAR is useless

Why don’t you mention that?

Hey, based on the game you deserved to win and were a much better team - no arguments about that.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#760 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:49 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Agree, I used to like Brentford way more but this season they regressed a lot. They obviously had rough start with Toney missing half the season and then Mbeumo getting injured too. Their defense now is a mess, Collins is terrible and Zanka is old, with Mee and Reguilon out they had not much to play in that back line.... So I feel they are just trying to hang in in some of those games for a point and avoid relegation.

Yeah, to be fair Mbeumo is a baller and he's a huge miss. He is important to what they do, or did, anyway.

Return to The General Soccer Board