Where do you rank Saudi Pro League's top 22 Squad?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,332

Where do you rank Saudi Pro League's top 22 Squad? 

Post#1 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm

Obviously, the Saudi exodus has taken the world of Futbol by storm this year, stirring up extensive discussions for soccer fans.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm not too focused on getting into the debate of whether this is a positive or negative thing, or the potential effects it might have in the future. While I certainly hold my own opinions on the matter, I'd rather save those for another discussion.

So, my question to all of you is this:

When stacked up against other leagues, how would you rate the best 22-man Saudi Pro League squad?

Now, it's not just a matter of comparing the Saudi Pro League to other top-tier leagues. The talent at an individual level can't quite up for aspects like depth, tradition, and consistency that many other leagues boast. Let's just focus on the quality of the top 22 players in the squad and their ranking in the larger scheme of things.

For me, it's a no-brainer that a direct comparison to the English Premier League (EPL) and La Liga is out of the question.

Things get more interesting when considering Serie A and the Bundesliga, and definitely when looking at Ligue 1. However, that's just my personal opinion.. While I don't believe any other league comes even remotely close, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.

Also, please do take note that I'm not referring to market value or the potential quality of the squad in the future. The Saudi Pro League squad is def full of players who are overpaid and past their prime. My question is focused on the current-year quality of the squad, as it stands right now.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Where do you rank Saudi Pro League's top 22 Squad? 

Post#2 » by HIF » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:49 pm

Nowhere near as highly as you rate it. The worst Ligue 1 squad would beat the best Saudi team.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,474

Post#3 » by Foye » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:22 pm

I don’t even know any Saudi team.

Not relevant in my world.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,164

Post#4 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:00 am

About Spanish primera rfef middle of the table or Serie C, frances national, bundesliga 3, efl 2
for all the publicity, their teams are still filled with CRAP.

I do hope that the players that are in their prime and have sucumbed to their filthy greed find themselves TRAPPED in there because the sheiks dont allow them to go back to europe when they INEVITABLY get bored of eating sand and watching potato sacks walking the streets behind their masters.
They deserve to be treated as deluxe slaves because of them allowing the sportwashing of that country.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,235

Post#5 » by Mamba81p » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:54 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:Obviously, the Saudi exodus has taken the world of Futbol by storm this year, stirring up extensive discussions for soccer fans.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm not too focused on getting into the debate of whether this is a positive or negative thing, or the potential effects it might have in the future. While I certainly hold my own opinions on the matter, I'd rather save those for another discussion.

When stacked up against other leagues, how would you rate the best 22-man Saudi Pro League squad?

Now, it's not just a matter of comparing the Saudi Pro League to other top-tier leagues. The talent at an individual level can't quite up for aspects like depth, tradition, and consistency that many other leagues boast. Let's just focus on the quality of the top 22 players in the squad and their ranking in the larger scheme of things.

For me, it's a no-brainer that a direct comparison to the English Premier League (EPL) and La Liga is out of the question.

Things get more interesting when considering Serie A and the Bundesliga, and definitely when looking at Ligue 1. However, that's just my personal opinion.. While I don't believe any other league comes even remotely close, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.

Also, please do take note that I'm not referring to market value or the potential quality of the squad in the future. The Saudi Pro League squad is def full of players who are overpaid and past their prime. My question is focused on the current-year quality of the squad, as it stands right now.

I don’t think anyone understood your question. The individual teams are crap, but best 22 players put together? Maybe Ligue 1, but I am not sure.

They have a lot of cooked players like Cristiano, Fabinho, or busts like Malcolm, but they have some genuine stars in Neymar and Benzema, and some players who disappointed after changing teams. I would not say that Mane, Koulibaly or Kessie are done yet. Milinkovic Savic is another interesting player, but I don’t think they have 22 good players yet. Maybe 10-15?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,474

Post#6 » by Foye » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:24 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
TheHartBreakKid wrote:Obviously, the Saudi exodus has taken the world of Futbol by storm this year, stirring up extensive discussions for soccer fans.

I don’t think anyone understood your question. The individual teams are crap, but best 22 players put together? Maybe Ligue 1, but I am not sure.

They have a lot of cooked players like Cristiano, Fabinho, or busts like Malcolm, but they have some genuine stars in Neymar and Benzema, and some players who disappointed after changing teams. I would not say that Mane, Koulibaly or Kessie are done yet. Milinkovic Savic is another interesting player, but I don’t think they have 22 good players yet. Maybe 10-15?

Understood the question but I can’t even name 22 players from that league.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RealGM Forums
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,583

Post#7 » by hermes » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:00 pm

here are the top players in select leagues by market value (assuming that market value is a good representation of talent)

saudi pro league
premier league
bundesliga
la liga
ligue 1
serie a
major league soccer (now that they have the best player ever :wink: )
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,235

Post#8 » by Mamba81p » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:09 pm

Market value is not a good indicator if you want to measure current talent. Older players are valued way less, hence why benzema and Messi are valued so low even though the former won balloon for last year, and the latter probably will win it this year

Return to The General Soccer Board