2023-24 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,215

Re: 2023-24 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread 

Post#321 » by Mamba81p » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm

There is nothing like UCL in the spring. Not the world cup, not the euros nor the domestic leagues. This is the highest level of football played on the planet
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,357

Post#322 » by Jellybeans » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:03 pm

Ive seen crap loads of bad games from Real this season but..
This crap from 15 to 105 minute was something else. Like Carlo again did the same thing what he did last year..You need to press against City...Just give the ball back to City and Lunin keeps saving Carlos a*s.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#323 » by Foye » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 pm

Bundesliga could have as much as 6 CL starters next season if Dortmund wins it an finishes 5th in the Bundesliga.

Don’t think Dortmund will win it, though.
They hit their ceiling with a semi final spot.
I‘d argue their roster is worse than last year.

That said - with 3 games left - they just need to get a bit lucky and could actually win it all.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer

Post#324 » by Mamba81p » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:49 pm

Foye wrote:Bundesliga could have as much as 6 CL starters next season if Dortmund wins it an finishes 5th in the Bundesliga.

That said - with 3 games left - they just need to get a bit lucky and could actually win it all.

PSG are not very good either. The only reason they are here is because Araujo is an idiot. Mbappe seems to have partially checked out and who knows how his relationship with Luis Enrique will be by then. PSG are the favorites but I would not be shocked if Dortmund will make it. I can only hope.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#325 » by Young Stapler » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 pm

Bayern is going to win it all.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#326 » by MetalFingaz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm

I think this Madrid team is the best of the remaining 4, but it's the semis, anything can happen! My money is on Don Carlo vibing his way to two major trophies.
It's time for 5 refs.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#327 » by MetalFingaz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:26 pm

It will be funny if an Arsenal loss means Spurs don't get Champions League football next year. Sorry Baph!
It's time for 5 refs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,631

Post#328 » by Baphomet » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:42 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:It will be funny if an Arsenal loss means Spurs don't get Champions League football next year. Sorry Baph!

If you take a look at Spurs fans on twitter and various forums, they don't really care. And I don't either, I was loving tonight's football, I love seeing City and Arsenal go out of Europe. If this coefficient stuff has you cheering for rival teams, I'd rather not be in the CL. And let's face it, 5th placed teams shouldn't be getting into the premier European competition.

If the situations were reversed, there is not a chance that Arsenal fans would be hoping we won. Same with United and City.
MetalFingaz
Starter

Post#329 » by MetalFingaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 am

Baphomet wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:It will be funny if an Arsenal loss means Spurs don't get Champions League football next year. Sorry Baph!

If you take a look at Spurs fans on twitter and various forums, they don't really care. And I don't either, I was loving tonight's football, I love seeing City and Arsenal go out of Europe. If this coefficient stuff has you cheering for rival teams, I'd rather not be in the CL. And let's face it, 5th placed teams shouldn't be getting into the premier European competition.

If the situations were reversed, there is not a chance that Arsenal fans would be hoping we won. Same with United and City.

Totally, though I would like to see Angeball in the Champions League.
It's time for 5 refs.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#330 » by The_Brecht » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 am

Premier League in the mud.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer

Post#331 » by Mamba81p » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Premier League in the mud.

Good, because We need some balance.
There were some PL fans who were calling Bundesliga farmers league, and it looks like the farmers are not that bad.

PL is still the best league imo but they are not dominating Europe like La Liga did between 2009 and 2018, which was getting boring tbh
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,631

Post#332 » by Baphomet » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

We've already seen it, it didn't go too well for Celtic. Though it wasn't down to lack of effort on their part.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 654

Post#333 » by Pipp33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 am

Baphomet wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

We've already seen it, it didn't go too well for Celtic. Though it wasn't down to lack of effort on their part.

The only reason I would have loved to see the PL get the 5th spot is that I think both Villa and Spurs deserve a chance in the CL on this season's performances, but one will now miss that (hopefully it's not Villa).

It will be a battle until the last game and thankfully our win over Arsenal has given us a boost after some rough games. Spurs have the tougher run home, but we will no doubt blunder a game we're expected to win.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,190

Post#334 » by cgf » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

Young Stapler wrote:Saka and Rice have been very poor recently.

Bayern put a lot into keeping Saka quiet and Arteta seemingly gambled on Bayern crumbling under the pressure after losing the league, because they just took the space Bayern was giving them on the left instead of doing more to free Saka up on the right. White played very conservatively behind him and neither Kai nor Odegaard drifted over to him enough to free him up the way Bayern managed to free Musiala & Sane up.

So I don't think it's fair to blame Saka alone, he wasn't put in a position to thrive and isn't so unreal that that doesn't matter against a top team.

Disappointed with Kai though, he gets more hate than he deserves but he seemed totally out of sync with the rest of arsenal's attack across that tie. He shows much better chemistry for the NT, even with guys he's never played with before.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,190

Post#335 » by cgf » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

Foye wrote:Bundesliga could have as much as 6 CL starters next season if Dortmund wins it an finishes 5th in the Bundesliga.

Or if Bayern drops into 5th and wins it :lol: I would laugh so hard if Bayern and BorussiaInc. met in the final while battling for the 4th seed in the league.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#336 » by Foye » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 am

cgf wrote:

Or if Bayern drops into 5th and wins it :lol: I would laugh so hard if Bayern and BorussiaInc. met in the final while battling for the 4th seed in the league.

A 5th CL spot is basically guaranteed.

Bundesliga is ahead of Premier League in the ranking that gives you a 5th spot.
Premier League only has Aston Villa left.

I read that 3 draws or 1 win and 1 draw from Bayern Dortmund and Leverkusen in the remaining European games would be enough to secure the 5th spot even if Aston Villa wins every game from here.

It could even be 9 Bundesliga teams playing in Europe next year.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#337 » by magik9113 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Serie A with 5 teams in the Champions League is just wild to me.
Normally I'd be pleased about this, but my honest opinion is that it is a disservice to the entire competition :lol:
Juve are garbage and the rest of the teams at the moment besides Inter all belong in the Europa League. This summer could change that, though... Juve need to part ways with Allegri and like Milan they need a couple strong additions to the squad. At least Roma and Atalanta are shining in the Europa League at the moment :dontknow:
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#338 » by magik9113 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:46 pm

The first leg of the championship matchup is today ;)

tough one to call. Bayern have been subpar all year but hard to rule them out. I choose Real to advance if I were forced to make a prediction.
PSG as well but it's a toss up
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer

Post#339 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 pm

Kim is an atrocious defender, and an even worse person. Looking for scapegoats after he makes mistakes. I never liked his game, and never understood why Bayern went after him
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 699

Post#340 » by Movics » Yesterday 1:57 am

A por la decimoquinta
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange

Return to The General Soccer Board