2023-24 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,141

Re: 2023-24 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread 

Post#281 » by magik9113 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:52 pm

MaliBrah wrote:Think we didnt get it purely because of the one he let slide where Gabriel thought the ball wasnt placed yet for a goal kick and gabriel picked it up lo

I was thinking this as well.
As someone who has been reffing for 20 years, I feel the ref on that one though. I've let that exact thing go uncalled before, albeit in what was probably a U15 game
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#282 » by magik9113 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:53 pm

May not even watch tomorrow's matches after all the excitement today. There's no way they can follow that up
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#283 » by Young Stapler » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:37 am

Kiwior should obviously not play in the 2nd leg. Arsenal defense will want to forget this night. Gabriel and Saliba both are so much better than what we saw from them tonight.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,272

Post#284 » by Baseline81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Can someone explain to me how Gabriel got away with picking up the ball after Raya kicked it to him?

That's not a subjective decision.

And after hearing Tuchel, I hope Bayern put in a formal complaint. As he stated, regardless if Gabriel had a lapse in judgment or make a "kid's mistake," it's a penalty by rule.
Young Stapler
General Manager

Post#285 » by Young Stapler » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm

Mbappe was probably the least effective player out there. 45 minutes being a spectator.
Young Stapler
General Manager

Post#286 » by Young Stapler » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:10 pm

Mbappe finally waking up

Edit- Nevermind :lol:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,142

Post#287 » by cgf » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:04 pm

That ended up a really fun match. If Hummels gets his head out of his ass and Terzic starts Brandt in the second leg, I think BVB should be favorites to advance...although this match could've seen another 2-3 goals from both teams. Was pretty confident they'd go out, but after that match, BorussiaInc. has to fancy its chances.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#288 » by cgf » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Can someone explain to me how Gabriel got away with picking up the ball after Raya kicked it to him?

That's not a subjective decision.

And after hearing Tuchel, I hope Bayern put in a formal complaint. As he stated, regardless if Gabriel had a lapse in judgment or make a "kid's mistake," it's a penalty by rule.

The refs has discretion about when he thinks Arsenal intended to restart play. So the ref can interpret that situation as Raya just kicking it over for Gabriel to restart play, like a team-mate handing of the ball for a throw in...but with this situation, the ref wouldn't have been crazy to assume that raya intended to restart play with his kick.

And the explanation TT claims he was given is just awful.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#289 » by Baseline81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:11 pm

cgf wrote:The refs has discretion about when he thinks Arsenal intended to restart play. So the ref can interpret that situation as Raya just kicking it over for Gabriel to restart play, like a team-mate handing of the ball for a throw in...but with this situation, the ref wouldn't have been crazy to assume that raya intended to restart play with his kick.

That's just it, the explanation given to Tuchel is an admission of guilt. The ref fully understands the rule but, in this case, elects not to follow it.

Unfortunately, the ref's job is not to interpret the intentions of players.
cgf
RealGM

Post#290 » by cgf » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:39 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
cgf wrote:The refs has discretion about when he thinks Arsenal intended to restart play. So the ref can interpret that situation as Raya just kicking it over for Gabriel to restart play, like a team-mate handing of the ball for a throw in...but with this situation, the ref wouldn't have been crazy to assume that raya intended to restart play with his kick.

That's just it, the explanation given to Tuchel is an admission of guilt. The ref fully understands the rule but, in this case, elects not to follow it.

Unfortunately, the ref's job is not to interpret the intentions of players.

The explanation (if true) is a disaster...but discerning intent is refs job, that is exactly why they are given discretion on these kinds of decisions.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#291 » by Baseline81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 pm

cgf wrote:The explanation (if true) is a disaster...but discerning intent is refs job, that is exactly why they are given discretion on these kinds of decisions.

Intent was taken out of the rules pertaining to red cards, etc.
cgf
RealGM

Post#292 » by cgf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:04 am

Baseline81 wrote:
cgf wrote:The explanation (if true) is a disaster...but discerning intent is refs job, that is exactly why they are given discretion on these kinds of decisions.

Intent was taken out of the rules pertaining to red cards, etc.

This wasn't a red card offense.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#293 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:29 am

cgf wrote:This wasn't a red card offense.

Obviously, but the point remains, intent was removed from the laws.
cgf
RealGM

Post#294 » by cgf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 am

Baseline81 wrote:
cgf wrote:This wasn't a red card offense.

Obviously, but the point remains, intent was removed from the laws.

And yet, referees are given discretion to decide when they think a team intended to restart play in situations like this. It's the same reason tossing the ball to a team-mate for a throw-in isn't considered a violation & change of possession.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#295 » by magik9113 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:51 am

Are we being spoiled with great match ups too soon?

Will Atletico live to regret only coming out of there with a 1 goal lead?
cgf
RealGM

Post#296 » by cgf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:48 pm

magik9113 wrote:Are we being spoiled with great match ups too soon?

Will Atletico live to regret only coming out of there with a 1 goal lead?

I think it's just a more open field this time around. Last year City had a hunger that they just don't after finally winning the CL.

Bayern was able to push City around...at least when Upamecano wasn't having the worst 30min of his senior career...but Tuchel has steadily undone a lot of Nagelsmann's good work & made the vibes even worse in their locker-room...and things were already tense last year b/c JN was trying to transition to the new generation.

So Real are the only top contender from last season who is stronger this season, but Real was a distant third to City & Bayern last year (IMO) and hasn't improved enough to make themselves prohibitive favorites.

Before that match I was assuming BVB would go out to Atleti, but after seeing Sancho, Adeyemi, and later Bynoe-Gittens seem to figure that Madrid defense out...I think they just need to start Brandt and hope Hummels doesn't repeat his worst game of the season in the second leg to advance.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#297 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:35 pm

cgf wrote:And yet, referees are given discretion to decide when they think a team intended to restart play in situations like this. It's the same reason tossing the ball to a team-mate for a throw-in isn't considered a violation & change of possession.

Clearly, I fall on the side of Jan Aage Fjortoft.

cgf
RealGM

Post#298 » by cgf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:18 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
cgf wrote:And yet, referees are given discretion to decide when they think a team intended to restart play in situations like this. It's the same reason tossing the ball to a team-mate for a throw-in isn't considered a violation & change of possession.

Clearly, I fall on the side of Jan Aage Fjortoft.

You're not alone, but Jan has his schtick. He's a great reporter...or at least he was...but he gets brought on instead of someone like Honigstein because he's ready to be more over the top.

I'm certainly biased...I want the league's coefficient to improve, but rooting for Bayern has always felt dirty...but I don't think either of the big penalty shouts from that first leg not being called was a travesty, as both non-calls were understandable interpretations of the rules.

If Sane had gone down and Odegaard not been sent off, that would've been a colossal mistake...but Leroy fought through the contact instead of doing the smart thing, so it wasn't a DOGSO red.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#299 » by magik9113 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Barca go up 1-0 on a Raphina goal...then Araujo gets a red card in the 29th min. That's a long time to be playing down a man, despite the two goal lead on aggregate.

meanwhile Dortmund take the lead to tie the aggregate. Good stuff so far once again in this round of CL
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#300 » by magik9113 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

right after I post that, both PSG and Dortmund score!

Return to The General Soccer Board