Future World Cup Hosts Discussion

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Future World Cup Hosts Discussion 

Post#1 » by Stannis » Wed Nov 1, 2023 4:44 pm

2026, as we know will be in USA, Canada, and Mexico.

2030, will open in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay and then proceed to Morocco, Portugal, and Spain.

2034, Saudi Arabia has just won the big after Australia dropped out.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Re: Future World Cup Hosts Discussion 

Post#2 » by Stannis » Wed Nov 1, 2023 4:53 pm

Out of all the these hosts, I'm probably most excited for Saudi Arabia. I prefer one or two nations hosting a World Cup.

Qatar put on a good World Cup, so let's see if another Middle Eastern country and followup.

I wish 2026 was just USA + Canada. And let Mexico host a WC on their own. Or maybe it should have just been Southwest USA + Mexico in the fall/winter.

I'm least excited for 2030. 6 freaking teams are automatically qualifying??

If FIFA wanted to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first World Cup in Uruguay, why not just give them the World Cup? I would have been cool with that. Or maybe a Uruguay + Argentina joint host.

I would have also loved to see Morocco or another African country host a WC on their own. Now that Morocco finally got a WC after decades of bidding, them having to share the host with Spain and Portugal is a let down.
Free Palestine
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,570

Post#3 » by hermes » Wed Nov 1, 2023 5:32 pm

the 2030 arrangement is weird

what are the rules around how often a nation can host?
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#4 » by AK47MVP » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:00 pm

Stannis wrote:Out of all the these hosts, I'm probably most excited for Saudi Arabia..

Unless you are from those areas there is nothing exciting about it. Terrible country to have it to be honest, even worse than Qatar. :banghead:
Stannis
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stannis » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:08 pm

hermes wrote:the 2030 arrangement is weird

I don't think there is a rule. FIFA just gives it to whoever they think will be the best host.

Come 2026, Mexico will be the leader in # of times host with 3.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stannis » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:12 pm

After Spain and Portugal, I would like to see Italy get another World Cup or have England host their #2. 1996 was England's last time hosting and they had 5 bids. I thought they got screwed in 2018 when they gave it to Russia instead.

I am disappointed that Australia / New Zealand did not get one.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stannis » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:22 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Stannis wrote:Out of all the these hosts, I'm probably most excited for Saudi Arabia..

Unless you are from those areas there is nothing exciting about it. Terrible country to have it to be honest, even worse than Qatar. :banghead:

I thought Qatar did a good job. I heard nothing but great things from the people who went, and I regret not going myself.

And that will probably be the last great WC we experienced. Future WCs have a different format and much more teams. +3 teams automatically qualifying.

Only downside was Qatar as a team was awful. So maybe Saudi Arabia will be a better performer. They did beat Argentina lol.

The 2030 format is just weird... 6 teams automatically qualify. 2 continents. It almost feels like a gimmick. Should have just put the whole thing in South America.
Free Palestine
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#8 » by MetalFingaz » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:41 pm

Given the new format, fewer and fewer countries will have the resources to host a World Cup, which is a huge loss for the sport.
It's time for 5 refs.
hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Thu Nov 2, 2023 12:21 am

how many countries could host a 48 team tournament on their own?
Stannis
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stannis » Thu Nov 2, 2023 8:44 pm

hermes wrote:how many countries could host a 48 team tournament on their own?

IMO there's still a lot.

USA

Germany

England

Saudi Arabia

Brazil

This is assuming that FIFA doesn't extend the length of the tournament (which I think is unlikely even though they said it's still going to be 50ish days).

I'm completely good with joint bids too. Lot of good combos like South Korea + Japan. New Zealand + Australia. Endless choices here.,

But I think triples are a bit much. Especially in 2030 where they will do 2 continents.
Free Palestine
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#11 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 12:30 am

Stannis wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:

I thought Qatar did a good job. I heard nothing but great things from the people who went, and I regret not going myself.

And that will probably be the last great WC we experienced. Future WCs have a different format and much more teams. +3 teams automatically qualifying.

Only downside was Qatar as a team was awful. So maybe Saudi Arabia will be a better performer. They did beat Argentina lol.

The 2030 format is just weird... 6 teams automatically qualify. 2 continents. It almost feels like a gimmick. Should have just put the whole thing in South America.

Unsurprisingly, FIFA sold out for the $$$.

MBS hasn't hidden the fact that he's going to spend big on sports to cover over his barbaric rule.

Rewarding a straight up butcher.

:(
hermes
RealGM

Post#12 » by hermes » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:08 am

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38792428/why-fifa-backed-corner-world-cup-hosts

like everything, its probably all about the money. and fifa needs to raise a lot of it, so they are only going to host the world cup in places where they'll know they'll make it by the bucket loads
Stannis
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stannis » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:04 am

wco81 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:Unless you are from those areas there is nothing exciting about it. Terrible country to have it to be honest, even worse than Qatar. :banghead:

Unsurprisingly, FIFA sold out for the $$$.

MBS hasn't hidden the fact that he's going to spend big on sports to cover over his barbaric rule.

Rewarding a straight up butcher.

:(

Yeah, I figured it was going to happen.

Not sure how the host voting works, but I'm pretty sure every nation = 1 vote. I knew Saudi Arabia was getting it when the Prime Minister of Albania kept tweeting about Saudi Arabia lol.
Free Palestine
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by -Luke- » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:48 am

I don't get why England hasn't gotten another one since 1966. One of very few countries that could do it alone (and maybe you could have a few games in Glasgow, Dublin and/or Cardiff). Or is the reason simply a lack of bribes?
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#15 » by -Luke- » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:08 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_and_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bids#Rotation_policy

According to this countries from continental associations of the last two host countries cannot apply again. I don't think there are rules for single countries. So in theory one European country could host every World Cup that is hosted by the UEFA, although that is not going to happen of course.

In September 2007, the rotation system came under review, and a new system was proposed which renders ineligible for bidding only the last two World Cup host confederations.[2] This proposal was adopted on 29 October 2007, in Zurich, Switzerland by FIFA's executive committee.

But 2030 is pretty confusing, yeah. According to this rule Europe, Africa and South America would not be allowed to host the 2038 WC. Same with Asia (AFC) because they have 2034. Australia is also in the AFC. So if they apply this rule only CONCACAF could host the 2038 World Cup unless I'm missing something (which would mean USA, Canada, Mexico again). That would be very strange. Or maybe they won't count South America for 2030 since it's only one game each in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#16 » by SgtPepper » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:50 pm

I think these multi-nation tourneys are about drawing rich multinational fans to travel across borders to the games and pricing everything higher. I'm a bit mournful of missing out on the 22WC because the next single nation tourney is (so far) slated for 12 years out. For 2030 with the time lag and high number of nations odds are high a few of them get in a war and disqualify from hosting before it happens.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#17 » by Mamba81p » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:40 am

-Luke- wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_and_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bids#Rotation_policy

According to this countries from continental associations of the last two host countries cannot apply again. I don't think there are rules for single countries. So in theory one European country could host every World Cup that is hosted by the UEFA, although that is not going to happen of course.

In September 2007, the rotation system came under review, and a new system was proposed which renders ineligible for bidding only the last two World Cup host confederations.[2] This proposal was adopted on 29 October 2007, in Zurich, Switzerland by FIFA's executive committee.

But 2030 is pretty confusing, yeah. According to this rule Europe, Africa and South America would not be allowed to host the 2038 WC. Same with Asia (AFC) because they have 2034. Australia is also in the AFC. So if they apply this rule only CONCACAF could host the 2038 World Cup unless I'm missing something (which would mean USA, Canada, Mexico again). That would be very strange. Or maybe they won't count South America for 2030 since it's only one game each in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay.

2030 was obviously awarded to 3 continents to make way for Saudi Arabia in 2034. Probably a smaller bribe to be paid that way. Qatar had to pay a lot to get that world cup.

Schedule for 2026 is out. Final will be in Ney Jersey which was expected, with semi finals in Atlanta and Dallas.

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/world-cup-2026-schedule-announcement-live-updates-final/r7oDr4oG9qK4/

I still don't like the addition of Mexico because traveling will be tough.
I would have preferred to add Denver, Chicago and Washington instead of the 3 Mexican cities.
MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#18 » by MetalFingaz » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:58 pm

The Azteca is a great atmosphere, at least. Not sure who thought playing games in Miami or Houston in July was a good idea.
It's time for 5 refs.
hermes
RealGM

Post#19 » by hermes » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:33 pm

usa group stage games will be in los angeles and seattle
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#20 » by wco81 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Men in Blazers is doing World Corrupt, a series of podcasts about Saudi Arabia. They do a deep dive on MBS's crimes all leading up to Saudi Arabia being awarded the WC.

MBS is well-known for having Khassoghi. But it turns out he gained power by a coup in the country with a relative.

MBS has gone after the children of those who served for the rival whom he overthrew, including a couple of teens who haven't been seen or heard from in 4 years.

Return to The General Soccer Board