Best serve-and-volleys in history?

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 559

Best serve-and-volleys in history? 

Post#1 » by Gregoire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:14 pm

My ranking:
1/Sampras
2/McEnroe
3.Becker
4.Edberg
5.Ivanisevich
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Re: Best serve-and-volleys in history? 

Post#2 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Let me see if I get this answer from Pat Cash on Quora in here:

http://www.quora.com/Tennis/Who-do-you- ... f-all-time

Pat Cash wrote:Oh this is a tough one as I didn't get to play some of the all time greats like Rod Laver and Pancho Gonzales.

However I will mention that Laver's technique is near perfect even compared to modern standards and Gonzales had such an effective serve and volley that they actually changed the rules of tennis for a while because of it.

I've spoken to many people and heard lots of names come up in this discussion (sometimes even mine:) but not having played many of the legendary greats and not being able to rely on statistics (previous eras are not accurate and often not included) I'm going to base my answer on players I have personally competed against or watched play in detail.

Out of the the players I have played I would say (in no particular order):
Boris Becker

John McEnroe

Stefan Edberg

Of the modern players:
Pat Rafter

Pete Sampras

Rafter and Sampras are also the only modern players who would get into my top 10 list.

On the women's side the best Iv'e seen are:
Martina Navratilova

Margaret Court

Venus Williams and Serena Williams

Soon I'll be doing a full top 10 list on my blog so stay tuned. Also if you're interested you can find a few photos of my volleys here Photos - Google+.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Post#3 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:10 pm

For me, I'd think of two guys most: McEnroe & Sampras - so I'm with you Gregoire.

When I think of a rapid-fire fighters brain with the instincts to attack the net best, I think of McEnroe.

Then you have Sampras whose serving was so effective that he removed much of the risk that comes with rushing the net, and once the other player is on the defense and you're at the net, you're odds of winning the point are huge.

Also, I'll echo Cash and mention Gonzales. It seems entirely plausible to me that if Gonzales were in his prime in the Sampras era he'd be at least as strong as Sampras.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Sampras and Rafter for me, I think even Bjorg had a very effective serve and volley game. Ivanisevic is a outlier because his main weapon was his serve and when he had to volley he depended a lot on his baseline ground strokes than coming to the net often.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#5 » by Dupp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm

From what I've seen clearly Rafter and Sampras. Ivanisevich was good but not on their level. Rafter was the best volly'er but sampras' serve puts him ahead overall imo.

Something that has pretty much vanished from the modern game. Watching Agassi go at it against these two when all were on their game was great tennis. Completely conflicting styles but great to watch.
fredsays
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by fredsays » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:18 am

Pat Rafter should get a mention in top 5 all time.
BlackKnight
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#7 » by BlackKnight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Sampras and McEnroe as 1a and 1b
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#8 » by Def Leppard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:06 am

Edberg, rafter, Mac,

Return to General Other Sports Talk