Post#121 » by KdoubleDees23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:57 pm

You mean march madness in 2033 when we get draft picks lol
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,508

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness 

Post#122 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 pm

KdoubleDees23 wrote:You mean march madness in 2033 when we get draft picks lol

I’m willing to wait 9 years patiently for a draft picks.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#123 » by Slim Charless » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:40 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I've missed GoK's way too in depth scouting reports on random 2nd round prospects who will likely never play a meaningful minute in an NBA regular season or playoff game.

Always appreciate the effort GoK!

LOL! Just check out the previous pages man! They'll be waiting for you to peruse. I already have those reports/ lists (slightly more concise this time) posted throughout pages 1-5 with my final list for the backup center position dropping in the next day or two for reference man. I also have an extreme outlier bonus hidden gem prospects list I might drop sometime next week. All of these are a decent distraction at the least, and a good source of solid value cost controlled undiscovered talent considerations IF our scouts and "do nothing" Jones actually choose to not blatantly ignore the draft this summer. Which I really hope that they wise up and don't ignore it, as it's easily our best and most fruitful way of adding cost controlled talent, positional depth, and potential assets with perceived desirability/upside. :D

Well if we end up trading KD this summer, I'd imagine the return would include a cpl picks in this draft. So hopefully some of these dudes you like will be on the team if that happens..
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Post#124 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I've missed GoK's way too in depth scouting reports on random 2nd round prospects who will likely never play a meaningful minute in an NBA regular season or playoff game.

Always appreciate the effort GoK!

LOL! Just check out the previous pages man! They'll be waiting for you to peruse. I already have those reports/ lists (slightly more concise this time) posted throughout pages 1-5 with my final list for the backup center position dropping in the next day or two for reference man. I also have an extreme outlier bonus hidden gem prospects list I might drop sometime next week. All of these are a decent distraction at the least, and a good source of solid value cost controlled undiscovered talent considerations IF our scouts and "do nothing" Jones actually choose to not blatantly ignore the draft this summer. Which I really hope that they wise up and don't ignore it, as it's easily our best and most fruitful way of adding cost controlled talent, positional depth, and potential assets with perceived desirability/upside. :D

Well if we end up trading KD this summer, I'd imagine the return would include a cpl picks in this draft. So hopefully some of these dudes you like will be on the team if that happens..

I'm not at all opposed to that outcome this summer! But I honestly think they'll hold off totry and push for one more run with the stated hopes of better luck with having all of the big three remain uninjured early on (Beal mostly) citing that it usually takes time for a superteam to come together fully, usually in their 2nd year together. And also citing their success when they actually did get to play together. Now I'm not saying that's the right decision on their part (given KDs' age and attached declining value). I'm only suggesting that I strongly believe they'll definitely try to run things back this next season hoping for a better outcome, AND IF they ultimately struggle mightily yet again by next years' trade deadline, they'll reassess all available options.

This is why I haven't really included any 24' draft assets coming back in a KD trade premise. Because my gut tells me that if anything actually happens in trading KD, it'll be around the trade deadline next season.

I really like Ulriche Comche in the first round for a very high end potential talent that's a mix of Horford/Ibaka. And as a 4/5, He'd give us flexibility at either position. I also really like Dunn as a bigger elite defensive version of Matisse Thybulle. :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#125 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:I also really like Dillon Jones...he looks strong but I wish he shot the 3 a little better, but love his assists, steals,rebounds, and he's strong. Even though he doesn't shoot the 3 well, he still has a 60% TS%. He's got a great handle, can finish well, just an all around solid player with a high iq.

Dillon Jones is definitely a great and exciting prospect for a wing option man! Bryce Hopkins, Tyler Burton, and as an outlier......Keyshawn Hall are all very intruiging strong, versatile wing options. Although not as much polished scorers as Dillon Jones is. He's kind of this drafts' Brice Sensabaugh as a very talented strong versatile polished scorer. Clarence Daniels is another cheaper alternative undrafted two way value strong wing option:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/clarence-daniels-1.html
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#126 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 am

KdoubleDees23 wrote:You mean march madness in 2033 when we get draft picks lol

We have our first this year....so I guess it's one year it's a silver lining not being great. Not a great draft but that also means it's not top heavy so maybe can get one of the better players in the late teens....or I guess possibly the mid teens.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#127 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

https://arizonasports.com/story/3544959/heres-who-phoenix-suns-fans-should-watch-in-the-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16/

Here’s who Phoenix Suns fans should watch in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
BY DAMON ALLRED
Arizona Sports:
Mar 27, 2024, 2:43 PM | Updated: 3:27 pm

The Phoenix Suns’ first round pick in the 2024 NBA Draft sits at No. 19 overall entering Wednesday’s action and there are plenty of March Madness stars who will be available in their range just outside the lottery.

Over general manager James Jones’ tenure making selections for the Suns, he has only selected three players, Cam Johnson (No. 11, 2019), Jalen Smith (No. 10, 2020) and Toumani Camara (No. 52, 2023). None were freshmen and all had good shooting projections.

That criteria has been applied to drafts since then to project ahead for who Jones could be considering in other drafts. That’s why every player listed here is older than a freshman — often much more so — with a solid shooting projection.

We also know that Jones doesn’t mind taking a player well ahead of their projected range, as Johnson and Smith were both expected to be late-first rounders if not second rounders. Camara was completely off many public draft boards entirely.

When Sweet 16 action starts on Thursday with Arizona-Clemson and UConn-San Diego State, here are the players Suns fans should watch closest.

Potential NBA Draft options for Suns fans to watch in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16

Terrence Shannon Jr., Illinois, No. 33 on ESPN’s mock draft

Shannon has been a proven first-round-level player for a while now, and he may have been a first-round pick if he had entered the draft a year ago.

Instead, he came back to Illinois in hopes of leading his team to postseason success in his fifth collegiate season. The Illini won a Big Ten tournament championship and are in the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2005.

Shannon has been on a tear over his last 14 games, averaging 27.1 points, two assists and one steal per game while shooting 37% on more than seven 3s and getting to the line nearly 10 times per game. He scored 30 points on fewer than 15 shots in his team’s second-round win over Duquesne.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

He was suspended for part of the season due to a pending rape charge with a May 10 court date in Kansas, but he was reinstated after a judge ruled that him not playing would do more harm to his career than him playing could do to the university. Whatever develops from that is sure to affect his stock.

Shannon and No. 3 Illinois play No. 2 Iowa State on Thursday at 7:09 p.m. on TBS and truTV.

Tyler Kolek, Marquette, No. 29 on both ESPN’s mock draft and The Athletic’s mock draft

Kolek found his way onto NBA radars after his Big East Player of the Year season as a junior. The 6-foot-3 floor general wasn’t able to repeat as a senior but he still earned first team all-conference honors.

Paired at Marquette with Oso Ighodaro — a big man who starred at Desert Vista High in Phoenix and might be a first-round pick in his own right — Kolek spearheads one of the most dangerous pick-and-roll offenses in the country. Kolek averages 7.9 assists per game — the most in the country — and makes 44.9% of his 3s off the catch and could fit seamlessly on a Suns team that may finally be interested in a more traditional point guard. His 22 assists in the tournament thus far rank tops with 11 in each game.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Plus, he would fill the Cameron Payne-sized hole on the team in terms of rotation point guards with a lefty scoop shot off the glass.

Kolek does leave some to be desired defensively, but that’s more because of where his athleticism is at, not a reflection of his basketball smarts or effort.

Kolek and No. 2 Marquette play No. 11 NC State on Friday at 4:09 p.m. on CBS.

Tristen Newton, UConn, No. 29 on ESPN’s tournament rankings among players left

Newton served as a drink stirrer for the Huskies’ championship season a year ago and may lead them to another this season after UConn faced little-to-no resistance in the first two rounds. He was unrated coming out of high school with no major colleges in pursuit, according to 247Sports, but he enrolled at East Carolina where he played his first three seasons.

In two seasons as a Husky, Newton has made 45-of-111 open 3s off the catch (40.5%) and averaged 5.6 assists per game to just 2.5 turnovers. Although he missed all six of his 3s in the second round against Northwestern, he still managed 20 points and 10 assists to just three turnovers.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

He’s happy to play on or away from the ball, which UConn needs from its point guard because of its bevvy of play finishers such as Donovan Clingan, Stephon Castle and Cam Spencer. Plus, his solid positional length at 6-foot-5 lets him defend either backcourt spot well.

His efficiency and ball security will be put to the test in the Sweet 16 against a No. 5 San Diego State team that holds teams to the seventh-lowest effective-shooting percentage among teams left in the field, according to Team Rankings. Newton and No. 1 UConn play No. 5 San Diego State at 4:39 p.m. on TBS and truTV.

How did potential Suns prospects do in March Madness’ first weekend?

Tennessee wing Dalton Knecht is averaging 20.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and one assist over his two games thus far, including 23 points on 15 shots in a first-round win over Saint Peter’s. He hasn’t had one of his signature games, such as a 40-point game against prospect-laden Kentucky to close the regular season, but he has a chance to in the Sweet 16 matching up against a high-tempo Creighton squad.

Dayton big man — and Valley native — DaRon Holmes II also averaged 20.5 points over his first two games, but he added 10 rebounds, two assists, three steals and one block per game as well.

He showcased his defense that will translate into the modern NBA very well in both a first-round win over Nevada and a second-round loss to Arizona, while also showing his versatile offensive game at 6-foot-10.

Grand Canyon wing Tyon Grant-Foster had to shoulder a heavy load for the Antelopes, taking 35 shots over the two games he played. He averaged 25.5 points over those two games, resulting in a first-round upset win over Saint Mary’s before nearly upsetting Alabama too. Grant-Foster is a no-doubt NBA talent especially given how he defends, but he needs to work on his shooting behind the free-throw and 3-point lines to ensure a long career while also managing his heart situation that teams will ask about.

Damon Allred forgot to mention (in my list breakdowns) that Tyon Grant Foster is actually the cousin of phoenix suns player Ish Wainwright! :D

Also, not too sure why he mentioned Terrence Shannon with his very severe legal issues! Not likely a candidate with a pending rape charge!!................Maybe for the Hornets though....LOL! :lol: ............J/K of course. I do really like Tristin Newton as a 2nd round guard alternative option to Kolek, But maybe after Ajay Mitchell, as Mitchell is a 6'5 version of Tyus Jones. And Tyon Grant Foster is a very polished 6'7 wing with secondary playmaking skillset and very disruptive defensive instincts, But even better than what he brings would be Emmanuel Miller of TCU.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/emanuel-miller-1.html
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#128 » by Slim Charless » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I'm not at all opposed to that outcome this summer! But I honestly think they'll hold off totry and push for one more run with the stated hopes of better luck with having all of the big three remain uninjured early on (Beal mostly) citing that it usually takes time for a superteam to come together fully, usually in their 2nd year together. And also citing their success when they actually did get to play together. Now I'm not saying that's the right decision on their part (given KDs' age and attached declining value). I'm only suggesting that I strongly believe they'll definitely try to run things back this next season hoping for a better outcome, AND IF they ultimately struggle mightily yet again by next years' trade deadline, they'll reassess all available options.

This is why I haven't really included any 24' draft assets coming back in a KD trade premise. Because my gut tells me that if anything actually happens in trading KD, it'll be around the trade deadline next season.

I really like Ulriche Comche in the first round for a very high end potential talent that's a mix of Horford/Ibaka. And as a 4/5, He'd give us flexibility at either position. I also really like Dunn as a bigger elite defensive version of Matisse Thybulle. :wink:

Fair point. I think if they decide to do it, they should do it this year. Our record aside, Durant has played fantastic this year. Truly amazing-on both ends really. He's also stayed reasonably healthy. Which is something that we can't expect going forward. If Durant wasn't playing as well as he has then the Nets would likely be looking at a lotto pick coming from us.

To wit, much like Nurk, we should try and sell high as we won't be getting health like this from him again imo.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#129 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Fair point. I think if they decide to do it, they should do it this year. Our record aside, Durant has played fantastic this year. Truly amazing-on both ends really. He's also stayed reasonably healthy. Which is something that we can't expect going forward. If Durant wasn't playing as well as he has then the Nets would likely be looking at a lotto pick coming from us.

To wit, much like Nurk, we should try and sell high as we won't be getting health like this from him again imo.

Djedefre
Senior
And1: 657

Post#130 » by Djedefre » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:Kolek is a very, very smart player. Physical limitations aside, i'd take a flyer on him with no hesitation.

Wouldn't shy away from Knecht in the 1st round, that geezer can ball. Flawed prospect, of course, but if he has the right mindset (which our team of professionals /if we have them at all/ should take seriously and do some work to make an assessment), there is no reason why he shouldn't become a legit rotational player in year 2 with his current strengths.

We absolutely NEED to nail this draft if we want to survive. So, no pressure.

I like Knecht, however I'd kind of like a more all around player, a rim protecting big, or a high iq PG. Steals in college are supposed to be a pretty good indicator of translation to NBA for whatever reason and he averages .8 per 36 while Kolek, for instance, averages 1.8 per 36.

Drafting to fill a specific need is always a tricky thing. I'd much rather we focus on evaluating the prospects independently, filter like top20 overall, estimate which guys from that group are realistically attainable and pick the one we deem the best player from that smaller (like 3,4 players) pack.

If we want to address our issues via draft no matter the circumstances, at all costs, we'll waste our pick, guaranteed. I.e. we'll go hunting for a rim protecting big and settle for anyone available that fits that mold or even has a slight promise of becoming that, disregarding maybe clearly more talented player(s) (and/or better character).

If your team of scouts and bball heads says there is no legit franchise player-level prospect that year, then you don't tank. You wait for maybe next year when things are going to be different. You gotta time the tanking. It's simple as that. If there is no legit starting level athletic wing, then you don't throw away your high pick on a first available physical brick-layer with tunnel vision and no feel for the game. If you can have Luka you friggin' get him and figure things out later.

You simply can not erase years of sloppy work with one move. Draft is for securing the future, gaining and retaining cap flexibility and ultimately making a functional core that can compete for a few years, with additions on the go. If you are 'contending' like we are now, GM's job is to find the guys capable of immediate contribution, so naturally, the focus shifts to FA and trades. But we blew that too while also completely neglecting the drafting process.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#131 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Djedefre wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:Kolek is a very, very smart player. Physical limitations aside, i'd take a flyer on him with no hesitation.

Wouldn't shy away from Knecht in the 1st round, that geezer can ball. Flawed prospect, of course, but if he has the right mindset (which our team of professionals /if we have them at all/ should take seriously and do some work to make an assessment), there is no reason why he shouldn't become a legit rotational player in year 2 with his current strengths.

We absolutely NEED to nail this draft if we want to survive. So, no pressure.

I like Knecht, however I'd kind of like a more all around player, a rim protecting big, or a high iq PG. Steals in college are supposed to be a pretty good indicator of translation to NBA for whatever reason and he averages .8 per 36 while Kolek, for instance, averages 1.8 per 36.

Drafting to fill a specific need is always a tricky thing. I'd much rather we focus on evaluating the prospects independently, filter like top20 overall, estimate which guys from that group are realistically attainable and pick the one we deem the best player from that smaller (like 3,4 players) pack.

If we want to address our issues via draft no matter the circumstances, at all costs, we'll waste our pick, guaranteed. I.e. we'll go hunting for a rim protecting big and settle for anyone available that fits that mold or even has a slight promise of becoming that, disregarding maybe clearly more talented player(s) (and/or better character).

If your team of scouts and bball heads says there is no legit franchise player-level prospect that year, then you don't tank. You wait for maybe next year when things are going to be different. You gotta time the tanking. It's simple as that. If there is no legit starting level athletic wing, then you don't throw away your high pick on a first available physical brick-layer with tunnel vision and no feel for the game. If you can have Luka you friggin' get him and figure things out later.

You simply can not erase years of sloppy work with one move. Draft is for securing the future, gaining and retaining cap flexibility and ultimately making a functional core that can compete for a few years, with additions on the go. If you are 'contending' like we are now, GM's job is to find the guys capable of immediate contribution, so naturally, the focus shifts to FA and trades. But we blew that too while also completely neglecting the drafting process.

I definitely agree. I like Kolek regardless. I do think PG and rim protector are the two biggest needs (depending on if we re-sign O'Neale and Allen) but a 3D wing would be nice too.

It also depends on the draft. If you are looking at tiers, and a bunch of positions are in the same tier, I don't think it's bad to go for the position of need.

But I generally like to go for the best. Before Haliburton slid, I hoped we got Bane at 30 (I believe we had that pick) but even said I would even take him at 10...I liked him that much. No one quite agreed with that and as I recall, you mentioned you didn't think he was an NBA player. So it's also in the eye of the beholder. Jones really messed that draft up. Imagine if we had.....well, never mind, I guess we've talked about that enough.
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 657

Post#132 » by Djedefre » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Yeah, i hated Bane. Still do. Pretty baffled he turned out so decent.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#133 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

Yeah, not bad...about a 60% TS% for his career along with 41.5% 3pt shooting over his 4 years. And this year averaging 23.7, 5.5, 4.4, 1 steal. Pretty decent.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (AZ vs Clemson, Thursday March 28th at 4:09 pm) 

Post#134 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Just like the Suns can’t hit a three and forcing a million of TO’s. This always happens with the wildcats when games matter the most they fold.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (AZ vs Clemson, Thursday March 28th at 4:09 pm) 

Post#135 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:Just like the Suns can’t hit a three and forcing a million of TO’s. This always happens with the wildcats when games matter the most they fold.

Bad shots and Clemson is on fire. Clemson's defense playing really well. Some sloppy turnovers too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#136 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

PJ Hall looks good. GoK mention him yet?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#137 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:PJ Hall looks good. GoK mention him yet?

Possibly. GOK mentions tons of different players around here.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#138 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

I like the last 5-7 min by the Wildcats. They are starting to gel and slowly figuring out how to score. It’s only a matter of time before we explode for a 13-4 or 15-5 type of run. Our coach better have a great speech during halftime though.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#139 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

Djedefre wrote:Yeah, i hated Bane. Still do. Pretty baffled he turned out so decent.

He was pretty badazz in one of Batman movies.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#140 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:I like the last 5-7 min by the Wildcats. They are starting to gel and slowly figuring out how to score. It’s only a matter of time before we explode for a 13-4 or 15-5 type of run. Our coach better have a great speech during halftime though.

They looked good a bit and could have gotten it down to 5 or so but Omar missing 3 free throws, and then Caleb Love airballing 3s...that's gotta stop. He's 2-9 and 0-4 from 3. Taking bad shots too. If he doesn't get going early in the 2nd half they need to have the others do the offense.

Return to Phoenix Suns