ImageImageImage

NBA Draft 2024

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (AZ vs Clemson, Thursday March 28th at 4:09 pm) 

Post#141 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:I like the last 5-7 min by the Wildcats. They are starting to gel and slowly figuring out how to score. It’s only a matter of time before we explode for a 13-4 or 15-5 type of run. Our coach better have a great speech during halftime though.

They looked good a bit and could have gotten it down to 5 or so but Omar missing 3 free throws, and then Caleb Love airballing 3s...that's gotta stop. He's 2-9 and 0-4 from 3. Taking bad shots too. If he doesn't get going early in the 2nd half they need to have the others do the offense.

This team goes as far as Caleb Love takes them. He had a great first half in previous game, but disappeared during the 2nd half. Let’s hope he does a reverse and performs better this next half. Ballo not hitting his ft’s is a tragedy (career 50% ft shooter) all Clemson has to do is foul him and he won’t make many. We desperately need Larsson & Johnson to hit some threes to even the playing field and Love to score 8+ points next half.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (AZ vs Clemson, Thursday March 28th at 4:09 pm) 

Post#142 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

Way to foul a three point shooter Johnson. SMH!
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#143 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

Giggard taking foul shot lessons from Ballo?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,486

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (Tyler Kolek and Marquette on CBS NOW) 

Post#144 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm

Amazing since 1985 the only players to avg 10/10/5 in the tourney are Jason Kidd, Dramond Green and Tyler Kolek. And he's averaging like 20 pts and 11 assists, along with 5.5 reb.
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness (Tyler Kolek and Marquette on CBS NOW) 

Post#145 » by Fifii » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 am

bwgood77 wrote:Amazing since 1985 the only players to avg 10/10/5 in the tourney are Jason Kidd, Dramond Green and Tyler Kolek. And he's averaging like 20 pts and 11 assists, along with 5.5 reb.

Yeah , I saw this when I watched game but in my opinion he is a poor version of Tyus Jones. Very archetype of Point Guard. I watched only first half and I note that he can’t shoot from midrange. He always driving to the basket , but he is not athletic guy like Scoot. In NBA this would be more difficult , Idk why he isn’t shooting from mid range. I noted that he was very quickly exhausted and playing off the ball in the second half of first half. In D he is weak like our Gordon. GOK was a right that he is very late 1rd or even early 2rd. In pluses of his game is that he is very good passer and plays very good p&p or p&r. Tyus never been legit starter. Now he play good in tank team , but when he played in Memphis he is good backup PG. I think Tyler ceiling is be good backup PG if he improve D.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#146 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:07 pm

Fifii wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Amazing since 1985 the only players to avg 10/10/5 in the tourney are Jason Kidd, Dramond Green and Tyler Kolek. And he's averaging like 20 pts and 11 assists, along with 5.5 reb.

Yeah , I saw this when I watched game but in my opinion he is a poor version of Tyus Jones. Very archetype of Point Guard. I watched only first half and I note that he can’t shoot from midrange. He always driving to the basket , but he is not athletic guy like Scoot. In NBA this would be more difficult , Idk why he isn’t shooting from mid range. I noted that he was very quickly exhausted and playing off the ball in the second half of first half. In D he is weak like our Gordon. GOK was a right that he is very late 1rd or even early 2rd. In pluses of his game is that he is very good passer and plays very good p&p or p&r. Tyus never been legit starter. Now he play good in tank team , but when he played in Memphis he is good backup PG. I think Tyler ceiling is be good backup PG if he improve D.

That was his worst game. Yeah, I think he is probably a solid second stringer, and maybe a late/first or early 2nd rounder like Brunson, Dejounte Murray, Brogdon, etc, were.

He is just a great passer and shooter. I don't care much about midrange. These days if you can get to the rim and hit 3s, those are the best shots. We take too many midrange shots already while other teams are bombing 3s.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Re: NBA Draft Prospect watch with March Madness 

Post#147 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:11 am

Read on Twitter

I like the Mcbride/ Carter/ Alvarado comparisons. I find myself really liking the idea of a Jamal Shead or Tamin Lipsey in a Jose Alvarado type pesky relentless defender/energizer role!! Maybe either could fill a role as a high motor, tough, physical (albeit undersized) 3rd guard option that can come in a defensively reak havoc on opposing backcourts with suffocating/ relentless defensive pressure while still being able to contribute offensively as well.

Read on Twitter

Harrison Ingram shares alot of similar attributes with Kyle Anderson in that he's a cafty connective wing that has playmaking skills. Although he has a much stronger build and smooth versatility, he struggles with his with his low level athleticism and lack of burst. He's becoming more intruiging as he's greatly improving his spot up shooting game.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#148 » by Fifii » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:55 am

GOK , what do you think about Zach Edey. I watched a couple minutes and in my opinion he has mobility like Boban. Do you think that he would be upgrade over Drew ? Drew has PO , but maybe we could trade him for one second round pick or nothing.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#149 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm

Fifii wrote:GOK , what do you think about Zach Edey. I watched a couple minutes and in my opinion he has mobility like Boban. Do you think that he would be upgrade over Drew ? Drew has PO , but maybe we could trade him for one second round pick or nothing.

Drew Eubanks is 5 times better than Edey his game does not impress me one bit. Edey is a poor poor man’s Yao Ming. Give me Drew 9 out of 10 times.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#150 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:58 pm

Fifii wrote:GOK , what do you think about Zach Edey. I watched a couple minutes and in my opinion he has mobility like Boban. Do you think that he would be upgrade over Drew ? Drew has PO , but maybe we could trade him for one second round pick or nothing.

Edey would be really solid given his size and overall girth in that he'd absolutely require a double team, and would create significant gravity causing opposing defenses to have to collapse leaving our shooters/ scorers wide open and with a lot of perimeter space to get wide open looks and build up space for downhill drives to the rim.

Defensively his biggest weakness would be his lateral mobility and his overall conditioning is a work in progress as well as his improvement on his 3PT and floor spacing face up game. However, again due to his massive size, he is already a big time rim deterrent/ rim protector (as long as he's not pulled out of the paint to far to recover rapidly).

He's also a very dominant rebounder and sets monster picks. In comparison to Eubanks, he easily has the edge in terms of size and overall capacity for physical dominance. And would easily pull much more lateral gravity due to his physical attributes. Eubanks would of course have the edge in terms of lateral mobility and short role maneuverability and more dynamic athleticism.

Ideally both could serve very vital roles for our team. Edey with his massive size and interior dominance, length and physicality against the bigger, stronger and more physically imposing bigs. And Eubanks against teams with smaller and more mobile athletic centers (small ball 5s') or in a more uptempo fast paced offensive flow wherein it's predicated upon small ball lineups.

** I'd take Edey as Nurkic insurance with an acquired 2nd, just maybe not with our sole first rounder in this draft. But within the context of a trade back scenario, absolutely for utilization in specific matchups that we're clearly undersized or not physical enough to deal with currently. :nod:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#151 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:24 pm

Damn, maybe we should take a look at Zach Edey after seeing his 40 pt, 16 reb game today. With Wemby, Chet and Sengun in the west, maybe we could use a big like that.

7'4 with a 7'10.5 wingspan. Pretty good #s across the board. Dalton Knecht also had 37 today. I like Edey better, especially for us. All Knecht really is is a scorer..can't defend or anything.

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#152 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:Damn, maybe we should take a look at Zach Edey after seeing his 40 pt, 16 reb game today. With Wemby, Chet and Sengun in the west, maybe we could use a big like that.

7'4 with a 7'10.5 wingspan. Pretty good #s across the board. Dalton Knecht also had 37 today. I like Edey better, especially for us. All Knecht really is is a scorer..can't defend or anything.

Yeah! Edey doesn't really move too well laterally and isn't that quick to recover, But at the same time, his immense size and productivity in the paint would absolutely require opposing defenses to collapse more under the sheer gravity that he'd create. And that can only bode well for a roster with elite shooters and perimeter oriented finesse players. He's basically a jumbo version of Nurkic, only Nurkic is more polished as a passer and floor spacer. But there are reports of Edey working diligently on those weak areas of his game already such as his overall conditioning, mobility, and of course some 3PT shooting for floor spacing purposs.

I will say though that the key for any team drafting Edey to allow him to be super impactful would be to add a long, quick, athletic but also very skilled two way 4/5 compliment like some of those mentioned from my power forward list. So that he can initially focus on just using his massive size to dominate the paint and create open looks for our shooters as defenses collapse into double and possibly triple teams trying to contain him. And that long, athletic, mobile skilled two way 4/5 can help by roaming the paint in those instances wherein he might get drawn out strategically and can't recover quickly. That 4/5 could roam and recover to help him anchor our defense so our defenders can extend out furthwr to contest with harder closeouts on threes.

But also not worry as much if opposing scorers get past with two dominant bigs in our 2nd line recovery defense! Prospects that we've already somewhat discussed as 4/5 two way 4s' with rim protection and two way versatility:

DaRon Holmes, Ulriche Comche, Drew Pember, Zonimir Ivisic, Amari Williams, Johni Broome, Grant Nelson, Quinten Post maybe even Damion Collins perhaps? Any of those 4/5s would offer two way versatility and strong defensive attributes to help play off of Edey and roam defensively, and also not be a net negative on offense. Especially, Pember, Ivisic, Nelson, Post and Holmes, and Broome. :D
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,735

Post#153 » by Qwigglez » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
Damn, maybe we should take a look at Zach Edey after seeing his 40 pt, 16 reb game today. With Wemby, Chet and Sengun in the west, maybe we could use a big like that.

Pass. He is younger than 25. James Jones won't keep him around.
In all seriousness, I would consider him. Where is he projected to go?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#154 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:44 am

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

The funny thing is that Edey really has a wide range of projection s that are hard to pin down precisely. But I personally believe that he settles somewhere in the 27-40 range. Likely 34-37 range more precisely.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#155 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:57 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

The funny thing is that Edey really has a wide range of projection s that are hard to pin down precisely. But I personally believe that he settles somewhere in the 27-40 range. Likely 34-37 range more precisely.

Ed Bassmaster is that you?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#156 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:02 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Pass. He is younger than 25. James Jones won't keep him around.

Ed Bassmaster is that you?

:wink: :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#157 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:41 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

ESPN (Jonathan Givony of the old Draft Express) has him ranked 13 https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

Tankathon has him at 37 on their Big Board and 33 on their mock. I don't even know who runs tankathon though. nbadraft.net has him even lower. They have the Duke C Filipowski quite a bit higher.

Givony only has him below Clingan for Cs (there is a very good chance they match up h2h in the National Championship). Edey led the NCAA in scoring with 24.4 ppg and was 3rd in rebounding. He won national player of the year two years in a row. Only 5 people have done that before including Kareem, Oscar Robertson and Bill Walton.

Moving laterally on defense might be his problem. He is a lot stronger and thicker than most guys his height though. I don't expect him to go as high as 13, but we should pick between 14 and 19 or somewhere in there unless we win a round. Part of the reason I think he's ranked lower on some is they are higher on the raw more highly recruited big time high school players who they feel have the upside but are largely unproven on the college level.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#158 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So, There are two clearly dominant centers that could go anywhere from the mid to late lottery to the mid teens to even the late first- mid 2nd possibly. ither would drastically raise our competitive ceiling and long term trajectory. Now again, I have us finishing with a pick in the early to mid twenties or 21- 26 range ultimately, and would openly promote a trade back/trade down scenario to try and optimize that picks value to our roster. HOWEVER, IF we somehow land in the late lottery to mid teens, we could do far worse than to secure one of these two very dominant centers on draft night. :nod:
Stark
Junior
And1: 686

Post#159 » by Stark » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:24 pm

My dream pick for this year's draft is Devin Carter. He reminds me of guys like Derrick White, Caruso and Bruce Brown. Just an all around hard nosed dude who does great things both ends of the floor. This Suns roster needs some heart. 1 block and almost 9 frickin rebounds a game as a 6'3 guard. He is a 37% three point shooter on 6.8 3PA. Shooting stroke looks a bit funky but looks like he improved tremendously every year.

I don't believe any draft pick would solve our glaring issues like playmaking and rim protection instantly. Clingan would be awesome tbh. Best fit for this team. However it looks like he'll be a top 10 pick. I would also be fine if we end up with Kolek, Jared Mccain or Daron Holmes II. Kolek is a smart guard, great playmaker and looks like a great competitor. Daron Holmes II reminds me of Bobby Portis and Naz Reid. Offensive big that can be a spark off the bench immediately. Mccain is nice but I'm just not sure if we can find minutes for him on the guard spot.

I'd avoid Flipovksi, Tyler Smith, Edey and Ryan Dunn.

Flipovki is a bad finisher and feels like he'd be a tweener in the league. People think he can be like Sabonis but Sabonis's footwork and finishing ability is tremendously better and he's a way better rebounder. He's more like Jon Leuer (ouch) to me.

Tyler Smith's raw talent will be intriguing for some teams and I feel like someone will probably pick him early and regret their decision in the future.

Edey is a big no from me. If I were a team like Thunder that has gazillion of picks and need of a big. Yeah I'd have given him a chance but for Suns it's a horrible fit. Too much of a risk and a reach with our pick.

Dunn's defensive abilities are great but my man just shoots 53% from the free throw line. 1.3 attempts on 3's with 20% percent. HELL NO. I don't care how good he's as a defensive player, you just cannot play a wing that cannot shoot in today's league.

If i have to pick a defensive minded prospect with a questionable shot. I'd rather have Collin Murray-Boyles. 18 year old kid with great defensive instincts with solid switch defence. I can definitely see him play some small ball 5. Good assist/turnover numbers, solid athlete. He's one of the youngest dudes in the draft. If he improves his shooting somehow, perfect 4 for any team. If we somehow end up with a second rounder miraculously and pick him, I'd be ecstatic.

KJ Simpson is also another guy I'd keep an eye on as a second rounder.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#160 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:11 am

Stark wrote:My dream pick for this year's draft is Devin Carter. He reminds me of guys like Derrick White, Caruso and Bruce Brown. Just an all around hard nosed dude who does great things both ends of the floor. This Suns roster needs some heart. 1 block and almost 9 frickin rebounds a game as a 6'3 guard. He is a 37% three point shooter on 6.8 3PA. Shooting stroke looks a bit funky but looks like he improved tremendously every year.

I don't believe any draft pick would solve our glaring issues like playmaking and rim protection instantly. Clingan would be awesome tbh. Best fit for this team. However it looks like he'll be a top 10 pick. I would also be fine if we end up with Kolek, Jared Mccain or Daron Holmes II. Kolek is a smart guard, great playmaker and looks like a great competitor. Daron Holmes II reminds me of Bobby Portis and Naz Reid. Offensive big that can be a spark off the bench immediately. Mccain is nice but I'm just not sure if we can find minutes for him on the guard spot.

I'd avoid Flipovksi, Tyler Smith, Edey and Ryan Dunn.

Flipovki is a bad finisher and feels like he'd be a tweener in the league. People think he can be like Sabonis but Sabonis's footwork and finishing ability is tremendously better and he's a way better rebounder. He's more like Jon Leuer (ouch) to me.

Tyler Smith's raw talent will be intriguing for some teams and I feel like someone will probably pick him early and regret their decision in the future.

Edey is a big no from me. If I were a team like Thunder that has gazillion of picks and need of a big. Yeah I'd have given him a chance but for Suns it's a horrible fit. Too much of a risk and a reach with our pick.

Dunn's defensive abilities are great but my man just shoots 53% from the free throw line. 1.3 attempts on 3's with 20% percent. HELL NO. I don't care how good he's as a defensive player, you just cannot play a wing that cannot shoot in today's league.

If i have to pick a defensive minded prospect with a questionable shot. I'd rather have Collin Murray-Boyles. 18 year old kid with great defensive instincts with solid switch defence. I can definitely see him play some small ball 5. Good assist/turnover numbers, solid athlete. He's one of the youngest dudes in the draft. If he improves his shooting somehow, perfect 4 for any team. If we somehow end up with a second rounder miraculously and pick him, I'd be ecstatic.

KJ Simpson is also another guy I'd keep an eye on as a second rounder.

Great well thought out post. Edey is a weird one. I have seen people mention him as slow footed, but looking at his clips from the last game on rim protection and how he moved side to side, he didn't look slow footed to me. I have also read in other places that he should be paired with a 4 that can stretch the floor and is really mobile and can guard stretch 5s.

I saw him compared to maybe a Brook Lopez, who was seen as a scoring yet big plodding player...this was before he added the 3.

I think his style of play just because he cannot chase around people on the perimeter and doesn't have 3 pt range could be more like a less defensive Gobert as far as defensive mobility goes, But he is a little taller with a longer wingspan. He may have a little Steven Adams in his game too...moreso because of his size and strength.

Of course he is far better than those guys at scoring.

Gobert went 27 in the draft. I really haven't watched him a lot though. It is interesting....the less reputable draft sites have him in the 30s but Givony from DX says he should be a lottery pick and has him at 13.

I hope we get to see him go against Clingan in the national championship.

Return to Phoenix Suns