Lakers/Kings
19%

Total votes: 16

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The final stretch 

Post#1461 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Y’all are dreaming if you think we are moving off of Beal and getting something substantial back. If not for Simmons, our boy Bradley has the worst contract in the league. You can get three guys to do the same thing at his cost. Heck, it’s not going to be easy to move KD either. Well, sure we can trade him, but you better just forget what we gave up.

Unless it goes south fast and hard, we are running the Pig Three back….with all their pork
What ? Me Worry ?
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,178

Post#1462 » by Slim Charless » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

Frank Lee wrote:Y’all are dreaming if you think we are moving off of Beal and getting something substantial back. If not for Simmons, our boy Bradley has the worst contract in the league. You can get three guys to do the same thing at his cost. Heck, it’s not going to be easy to move KD either. Well, sure we can trade him, but you better just forget what we gave up.

Unless it goes south fast and hard, we are running the Pig Three back….with all their pork

You have more hyperbole than any other poster...possibly in all of RealGM. So KD will be a difficult sell and we'll be taking back just salary then huh? Maybe we get a protected 1st back. Maybe.

:roll:

KD is having 1 of the best years of his CAREER. Which, for the record includes his MVP year.

Go back and re-read what I just posted above ^^^

Look at his numbers, offensive and defensive and find me 4 other seasons where he had this health and this impact on both sides. Jesus, between you and BW and his thoughts that Josh (cant shoot and was almost arrested for underage rape) Giddey is more valuable it's like you guys think Durant is a washed freaking scrub. You boys do watch the games hopefully lol.

He's playing amazing this year. Absolutely amazing. We'd literally be in the lotto without him.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#1463 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

Nobody is doubting his stats dude… but in the small handful needing him, its not an easy task to load up 48 mil in return, regardless how much need you manufacture. Furthermore, why would we deal him anyways, unless its a blow up. Wishbea has done the ‘all’… we just havent hit the ‘or nothing’ yet.

Quit trying to make your point by arguing mine. We arent trading anybody. You doubt that?
What ? Me Worry ?
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#1464 » by Slim Charless » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

Frank Lee wrote:Nobody is doubting his stats dude… but in the small handful needing him, its not an easy task to load up 48 mil in return, regardless how much need you manufacture. Furthermore, why would we deal him anyways, unless its a blow up. Wishbea has done the ‘all’… we just havent hit the ‘or nothing’ yet.

Quit trying to make your point by arguing mine. We arent trading anybody. You doubt that?

I think the playoffs will decide all. If we phase out and lose in/don't make the play-in then yes, I can see us moving 1 of the Big 3 (Durant). If we actually play up to our ability? We can win it all or at least make it to the Finals. How many other teams have beaten Denver twice this year?

We have the wide lane of possibilities of any team in the league. By far.

Who we trade to? I've mentioned OKC numerous times. I think BW's idea of the Knicks makes sense as well. Aside from them, I can see Atlanta, Orlando and New Orleans as other possibilities for a KD trade, though far less likely obviously.

Once again the playoffs will show all for those teams and ours of course. Gun to my head? Yes, I think 1 of our current starters will not be playing here come Oct. Be that Durant or Nurk or whoever we'll see.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1465 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Nobody is doubting his stats dude… but in the small handful needing him, its not an easy task to load up 48 mil in return, regardless how much need you manufacture. Furthermore, why would we deal him anyways, unless its a blow up. Wishbea has done the ‘all’… we just havent hit the ‘or nothing’ yet.

I think the playoffs will decide all. If we phase out and lose in/don't make the play-in then yes, I can see us moving 1 of the Big 3 (Durant). If we actually play up to our ability? We can win it all or at least make it to the Finals. How many other teams have beaten Denver twice this year?

Who we trade to? I've mentioned OKC numerous times. I think BW's idea of the Knicks makes sense as well. Aside from them, I can see Atlanta, Orlando and New Orleans as other possibilities for a KD trade, though far less likely obviously.

Once again the playoffs will show all for those teams and ours of course. Gun to my head? Yes, I think 1 of our current starters will not be playing here come Oct. Be that Durant or Nurk or whoever we'll see.

I don't see this at all. At least not this offseason. I don't believe Ishbia is in it for the short term (ie one season window) and any trade involving KD (you already pointed to his stats) is almost certainly going to be a downgrade in talent and I just don't see Ishbia being ok with that. Should also point out KD was his first, signature move as owner of the Phoenix Suns. He's going to exhaust all options/opportunities with this Big 3 before he goes the way of breaking up the team.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,508

Post#1466 » by Stix » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

Trust me... i've looked into any and all possible scenarios where we could possibly get rid of Beal and none of them are any good. We're stuck.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#1467 » by Slim Charless » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I don't see this at all. At least not this offseason. I don't believe Ishbia is in it for the short term (ie one season window) and any trade involving KD (you already pointed to his stats) is almost certainly going to be a downgrade in talent and I just don't see Ishbia being ok with that. Should also point out KD was his first, signature move as owner of the Phoenix Suns. He's going to exhaust all options/opportunities with this Big 3 before he goes the way of breaking up the team.

Might not be up to him all the way. This ends badly enough (we don't make the play-in or lose in it) I can see KD looking around. I do think that what you say is the likely reason that KD stays. Because of Ish. I don't think that if given an opportunity Presti passes on the chance to add Durant to the his team-esp if he gets to keep Chet/SGA/J-Dubb as the main core. This thing will henge on how we look and how KD feels about the whole thing going forward.

As I said, we have the talent to win it all. Just a matter of stringing together 2 good months of basketball.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,006

Post#1468 » by garrick » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I don't think he has any particular loyalty to the big 3 and he's one of those flashy impatient CEO's that want instant results so I don't see him staying put if the team underperforms yet again.

All his moves reek of Isaiah Thomas moves of trading for well known albeit very expensive players and trading away as many draft picks as possible. However, even if Thomas/Ishbia want to trade one of the big 3 I really only think Booker has value due to him being in his prime, Beal is untradeable and KD might still have takers but it would have to be next season before he gets any older.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1469 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 pm

Stix wrote:Trust me... i've looked into any and all possible scenarios where we could possibly get rid of Beal and none of them are any good. We're stuck.

I'm not worried about moving Beal. He'll be a Phoenix Wizard if we blow it up.

garrick wrote: However, even if Thomas/Ishbia want to trade one of the big 3 I really only think Booker has value due to him being in his prime, Beal is untradeable and KD might still have takers but it would have to be next season before he gets any older.

It's insane to think Durant doesn't have value. He's missed a total of 7 games this season. #4 in the league in PPG with 53/42/85 splits, 28/7/5 with 2 stocks and still a + on defense.

Sure, our all-in move didn't work, but every year there are teams that will do anything to try to win a title. There are far worse ways to spend $100 million than on Kevin Durant - for example, paying Grayson Allen $20 million/season and drowning yourself in luxury taxes.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,490

Post#1470 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 pm

We won't/can't move Beal and get anything close to what he provides. I'm not saying 3 guys to take up his salary space couldn't, or someone else, but I just don't see we get the value in return. Despite the bad contract, given our lack of cap space, we were lucky to get a player of his caliber for the shell of Paul and Shamet.

KD has value, but not nearly what we gave up for him. I think that's what Frank was saying. Maybe 2 picks and a few players or 3 not great or protected picks and players, like if he went to NY in the type of deals I brought up.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,006

Post#1471 » by garrick » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Stix wrote:Trust me... i've looked into any and all possible scenarios where we could possibly get rid of Beal and none of them are any good. We're stuck.

garrick wrote: However, even if Thomas/Ishbia want to trade one of the big 3 I really only think Booker has value due to him being in his prime, Beal is untradeable and KD might still have takers but it would have to be next season before he gets any older.

It's insane to think Durant doesn't have value. He's missed a total of 7 games this season. #4 in the league in PPG with 53/42/85 splits, 28/7/5 with 2 stocks and still a + on defense.

Sure, our all-in move didn't work, but every year there are teams that will do anything to try to win a title. There are far worse ways to spend $100 million than on Kevin Durant - for example, paying Grayson Allen $20 million/season and drowning yourself in luxury taxes.

Of course he has value but very few GM's will give us the kind of deal Ishbia gave the Nets in return.

Father time is undefeated and KD at some point will just drop off a cliff at any point now and really struggle to create his own shot once the lift on his shot goes.

I still see him being able to score close to 20 PPG just on spot up jump shots towards the end of his contract but he won't be putting up LBJ type of numbers I would imagine.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#1472 » by Saberestar » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 pm

garrick wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Of course he has value but very few GM's will give us the kind of deal Ishbia gave the Nets in return.

Father time is undefeated and KD at some point will just drop off a cliff at any point now and really struggle to create his own shot once the lift on his shot goes.

I still see him being able to score close to 20 PPG just on spot up jump shots towards the end of his contract but he won't be putting up LBJ type of numbers I would imagine.

I don't get the fascination with the trade package that we gave up for KD.

Mikal and Cam Johnson are doing nothing for the Nets.

Mikal is a 2nd option for them and his overall numbers aren't impressive at all. His percentages are strictly bad and defensively he can't be as good as he was for us because he has a bigger role on offense.

Cam Johnson is seriously overpaid and most Nets fans hate him. He isn't better than Grayson Allen so we replaced him with an upgrade. Similar age, similar role and he has more health problems than Allen.

Crowder has been replaced by O'Neale so we got another upgrade for really low value in the last trade deadline.

It's all about the picks but the idea for us is to be a perennial playoff team (and hopefully a contender) for years to come so those picks will never be in the lottery.

KD is playing amazing basketball on both ends and he is healthy. His value around the league has to be really REALLY high.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1473 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 pm

Spoiler:
From Zach Lowe today:

Most parts of the Warriors machine are running at decent levels, but the combined effect has amounted to a 5-6 record in their past 11 games. Something is missing. On some level, it's obvious: Wiggins has been subpar all season, and Stephen Curry is shooting 39.9% since the All-Star break.

But beyond that, something seems to go haywire for some pivotal four-minute stretch every game. There is no through line. One night, it's bad transition defense -- the product, to some degree, of Golden State's strategic push this season for more offensive rebounds. The next night, the turnovers and fouls reappear. One game later, a few miscommunications on defense turn the game. They are adjusting to new lineups -- realities of a crowded rotation.

The top half of the play-in bracket is a very long shot now. The realistic goal is holding off the Rockets; Houston is fierce, and not going anywhere. In best-case scenarios the Warriors will likely need to win two games -- maybe two road games -- just to face the No. 1 seed in the first round. How much of the organization's focus is already on next season -- on reorienting the team around Curry?

The Los Angeles Lakers, one spot above the Warriors and pushing for the NBA's new consolation prize (the top half of the play-in), have won five straight and soared to a season-best nine games over .500. Their dormant offense has erupted behind the (much belatedly) revamped starting five. They gutted out perhaps the win of the season in double overtime in Milwaukee on Tuesday, with LeBron James out; Anthony Davis trudged through 52 minutes of agony, and had to sit out the Lakers' follow-up win Thursday in Memphis. They seldom win easily, but there is a proud steeliness to this Lakers team.

The Phoenix Suns, not quite an old lion but the most asset-stripped of these teams, staved off a nightmare with four wins in five games -- including a resounding road win in Denver against a Nuggets team missing Jamal Murray. The Suns defended hard, and played with a zip on offense that has too often eluded this half-baked Big Three. They jumped to No. 7, one game in the loss column behind the Dallas Mavericks. (Dallas owns the tiebreaker, as it has owned all things Suns for three seasons.) The Suns need to maintain that flow; their schedule is hell, and they are precariously close to the junior varsity half of the play-in.

They are chasing Dallas -- 9-1 in its past 10 games -- for No. 6. The Mavs have remade almost the entire roster around Luka Doncic since their conference finals run two seasons ago and yet somehow seem like the most reliable team in this group. The chemistry between Doncic and Kyrie Irving has come more easily than anyone could have expected. They have learned to play off each other in subtle ways beyond pairing up in dangerous pick-and-rolls. (And, yes, the Mavs should lean into that more.)

Irving is a master at drifting into open pockets when the defense focuses on Doncic; Doncic knows where to find him.

Irving has absorbed the funky nuances of Doncic's game -- the rhythm of his step-backs, his tendency to throw last-minute passes, the way his staccato pacing creates give-and-go chances:

Adversity will come. Perhaps it will strike tonight in a crucial game against the unknowable Sacramento Kings -- parked for now in No. 8. Win, and Dallas opens a two-game cushion over Sacramento, flips (temporarily, at least) the tiebreaker its way and boosts the Lakers' chances of stealing the No. 8 slot.

This is not your typical play-in field. Last year's No. 7 seed in the West -- the Lakers -- finished 43-39. The Mavs and Suns have already won 43 games; the Kings are at 42, the Lakers at 41. Any of them is capable of winning a round, maybe more.

It might be tempting to equate this West landscape with last season's: the juggernaut Nuggets on top, with unproven teams skeptics see as vulnerable at Nos. 2 and 3. Last season, those teams were the Memphis Grizzlies and Kings. Both lost in the first round.

This year, those teams are the Minnesota Timberwolves and precocious Oklahoma City Thunder. You understand the niggling doubts. Minnesota ranks 18th in offense and even worse in fourth quarters and crunch time. Karl-Anthony Towns is recovering from knee surgery, with a vague return date sometime early in the postseason, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Aside from Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the Thunder's core players are brand new to all of this.

But these are not last year's Grizzlies and Kings. For one, Minnesota and Oklahoma City are tied in the loss column with Denver; the No. 1 seed is in play. Both have already won 50 games; last year's Grizzlies and Kings won 51 and 48, respectively. The Thunder are plus-7.1 points per 100 possessions, the Wolves plus-6.5 -- trailing only the Boston Celtics. Last year's Kings were plus-2.6 -- eighth overall. Memphis finished plus-4.0 but entered the playoffs decimated by injuries in the frontcourt.

The Wolves are 7-3 since Towns' knee injury. Their defense, No. 1 all season, hums along -- huge and mean, with the league's apex rim protector in Rudy Gobert. Naz Reid has filled Towns' starting role admirably, the bench collective supplying Reid's sixth-man production. Anthony Edwards makes more of the right passes and cuts every game -- becoming less predictable, more dangerous.

The Thunder are unrelenting, with a poise and solidity way beyond their experience level.

The West is better at the top and in the middle. Only an early upset of Denver -- the clear favorite -- would qualify as a huge surprise. But beating teams with the statistical résumés of Minnesota and Oklahoma City -- let alone winning a second-round series -- requires a level of consistent excellence the Mavericks, Suns, Warriors, Lakers and Kings haven't shown yet.

The Clippers -- the team with the most at stake here -- compiled a 30-game dossier of such excellence. That ended six weeks ago. Injuries torpedoed their momentum, but even at full health, the Clippers are searching for some ineffable pop -- the hounding defense, just-good-enough rebounding and balance between one-on-one play and snappiness on offense. Once lost, that magic is hard to get back. If the Clippers don't rediscover it, their first-round series -- likely against the New Orleans Pelicans -- could be a toss-up.

Beating a great team four times in seven tries is the game's most daunting challenge. Doing that again and again is something only the very best can do. How many of these teams have greatness within them? Denver does. We're about to find out about the rest.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1474 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 pm

Bridges was good for much of the season but has played a lot worse since Dinwiddie was traded and they really don't have a PG because Ben Simmons got injured about the same time.

Cam is shooting 40% from 3 and also has a 2.5/1 ast/to ratio. He's playing about as well as he did for us. Bridges is down but you should know he is a very solid player, particularly if you have him as a 3rd option and a glue guy on defense as well as a good locker room and chemistry guy.

KD is awesome but kind of the opposite when it comes to locker room/chemistry guy. He's not really a leader type which is why his teams never go as far as they should except when he joined the championship best record ever Warriors who were already set up and gave up nothing for him.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#1475 » by Saberestar » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Bridges was good for much of the season but has played a lot worse since Dinwiddie was traded and they really don't have a PG because Ben Simmons got injured about the same time.

Cam is shooting 40% from 3 and also has a 2.5/1 ast/to ratio. He's playing about as well as he did for us. Bridges is down but you should know he is a very solid player, particularly if you have him as a 3rd option and a glue guy on defense as well as a good locker room and chemistry guy.

KD is awesome but kind of the opposite when it comes to locker room/chemistry guy. He's not really a leader type which is why his teams never go as far as they should except when he joined the championship best record ever Warriors who were already set up and gave up nothing for him.

2.5 assists and 1 turnover per game is nothing to talk about it. For comparison Grayson Allen averages 3.8 assists and only 1.3 turnovers. And 48% from three against 40% for Cam Johnson.

And he is getting $23.6M per year on his new 4-year contract so his production doesn't match his salary at all. It was different on the Suns because he was on a rookie contract.

And he is 6'8 but plays smaller than his size.

Regarding KD, he leads with the example, he works harder than anyone and that'swell documented. Not a vocal leader at all but everyone around the league says that he is a great teammate.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#1476 » by spanishninja » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:08 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Bridges was good for much of the season but has played a lot worse since Dinwiddie was traded and they really don't have a PG because Ben Simmons got injured about the same time.

2.5 assists and 1 turnover per game is nothing to talk about it. For comparison Grayson Allen averages 3.8 assists and only 1.3 turnovers. And 48% from three against 40% for Cam Johnson.

And he is getting $23.6M per year on his new 4-year contract so his production doesn't match his salary at all. It was different on the Suns because he was on a rookie contract.

Regarding KD, he leads with the example, he works harder than anyone and that'swell documented. Not a vocal leader at all but everyone around the league says that he is a great teammate.

as has always been the case, CamJo's problem is health. Until he can demonstrate he can stay on the court throughout a season, he won't get past this ceiling. Grayson isn't worth 24M a year either, but he is closer than Cam.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1477 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:21 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Yeah, Cam is overpaid. That is a nice ast/to ratio for Cam and a really nice one for Allen.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1478 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

as has always been the case, CamJo's problem is health. Until he can demonstrate he can stay on the court throughout a season, he won't get past this ceiling. Grayson isn't worth 24M a year either, but he is closer than Cam.

He is right now (Allen), but this is BY FAR his best year. We didn't even want him for Crowder (dumb)...anyway, he has never averaged over 41% from 3 and his best TS% was around 61% a couple times, and this year he is near 70%. I imagine Cam AND Bridges would look amazing with KD, Book and Beal.

But I like Allen and yeah, Cam can't stay healthy. I would rather have Allen, but it's also not like we knew we were getting him when we made that trade. Of course I'd rather have KD and Allen than Mikal and Cam, but long term probably not more than those 2, 4 unprotected 1sts along with a swap and 5 2nds.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#1479 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 pm

The move would have been to sign and trade CamJo for a PG like Ty Jones. Wrap a draft pick around Shamwow or GrandPa for a PF… and and…

We all can play rewind pretend….

The west is such a meat grinder. We’d better shape up over the next 5-6 games and settle into a more intense mindset. No more excuses.

Crazy though…. How a hard fought playoff run into the second round could somewhat salvage this tumultuous season. A quick exit and youll see buzzards circling
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1480 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 pm

I hope we see Rockets/Nuggets or if not Rockets, Kings or Lakers
Clips vs Pelicans
Mavs vs Thunder
Us vs TWolves.

All those matchups would be interesting. Maybe not Rockets/Nuggets quite as much unless Sengun is back.

But I am kind of tired of seeing Mavs/Clips, us/Denver, us/Mavs, us/Clips.

TWolves would be interesting too...we have one of best offenses but they have the best defense. Could we go small and cause problems for them?

Return to Phoenix Suns