NBA Draft 2024

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,512

Re: NBA Draft 2024 

Post#201 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:45 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Phoenix suns 10 best guard options in our range: (per request of Frank Lee) :wink:

1- Tyler Kolek- (Marquette)
A true floor general with exceptional passing and suspect athleticism. Kolek is somewhere in between Steve Nash and TJ McConnell. His tablesetting, in game processing, and basketball IQ/ leadership are top notch. But his size, and average athleticism will pose issues for him at the next level.

I've been an advocate for Kolek for a few months now but what's your take on previous Nash-esque/floor general type prospects we drafted and didn't end up doing much in the NBA like Tyler Ennis and Kendall Marshall?

I'd still have Kolek as my #1 option despite my concerns over his average size (6'3) and athletic limitations. I believe that his high basketball IQ and "in game processing" might compensate for the above stated concerns only because of our ELITE offensive weapons. However................................

I will say that in taking Kolek, He won't ever truly be a starting level guard, but he will be a high level backup equitablly similar to what TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, and/or maybe a much better slightly smaller version of Milos Teodosic?? I will also say that IF we take Kolek, and truly want to optimize his abilities, we'll need to add some dynamic/versatile athletes, and a dominant post presence lob threat. Luckily for us, there are numrous available prospects throughout the later stages of the draft that are very similar to Ryan Dunn for a high end defensive wing/ forward option (to help cover backline defense for his deficiencies that will be targeted. And there are also numerous high level dominant and athletic post/ paint options for 4/5s etc that can create significant gravity for us in the paint and also anchor a defense with rim protection and be a rim running lob option for his skillset.

The defensive wings and 4/5 options become critically as insulatory backline defense to minimize his athletic, size, speed deficiencies, allowing him to focus fully on his elite tablesetting. :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,656

Post#202 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Phoenix suns 10 best guard options in our range: (per request of Frank Lee) :wink:

A true floor general with exceptional passing and suspect athleticism. Kolek is somewhere in between Steve Nash and TJ McConnell. His tablesetting, in game processing, and basketball IQ/ leadership are top notch. But his size, and average athleticism will pose issues for him at the next level.

I've been an advocate for Kolek for a few months now but what's your take on previous Nash-esque/floor general type prospects we drafted and didn't end up doing much in the NBA like Tyler Ennis and Kendall Marshall?

I'd still have Kolek as my #1 option despite my concerns over his average size (6'3) and athletic limitations. I believe that his high basketball IQ and "in game processing" might compensate for the above stated concerns only because of our ELITE offensive weapons. However................................

I will say that in taking Kolek, He won't ever truly be a starting level guard, but he will be a high level backup equitablly similar to what TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, and/or maybe a much better slightly smaller version of Milos Teodosic?? I will also say that IF we take Kolek, and truly want to optimize his abilities, we'll need to add some dynamic/versatile athletes, and a dominant post presence lob threat. Luckily for us, there are numrous available prospects throughout the later stages of the draft that are very similar to Ryan Dunn for a high end defensive wing/ forward option (to help cover backline defense for his deficiencies that will be targeted. And there are also numerous high level dominant and athletic post/ paint options for 4/5s etc that can create significant gravity for us in the paint and also anchor a defense with rim protection and be a rim running lob option for his skillset.

The defensive wings and 4/5 options become critically as insulatory backline defense to minimize his athletic, size, speed deficiencies, allowing him to focus fully on his elite tablesetting. :D

I'm trying to figure out what Kolek does differently that could allow him to have a legit NBA career as opposed to the Marshalls, Ennis and Jerome (who I totally forgot about).
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,167

Post#203 » by starbosa10 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm

I was so annoyed at that Jerome pick man lol
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#204 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

The thing is, when you are playing with Beal, Book and KD, do you really need to be starter level on a normal team, if you have a really high iq and can shoot? He's a few inches taller than Chris Paul. He can get to the rim.

Anyway, I don't think he'd start in any circumstances anyway barring an injury or two to our starters. But he would really help our ballhandling and playing with one or two starters when people start sitting.

Would be awesome if Paul retired and we could hire him to work with him, however, that won't happen because as Paul would say "Matt AND ISIAH don't want to go in that direction".

I kind of doubt Paul will want to move away from LA unless he can get a coaching job either. I bet he will want a coaching job but probably to get to head coach quickly like Kidd and Billups did. It would be hard to go from making like $30 million and being able to play to coaching, but I'm sure he will still want to be around the game.

And no, I don't think Nash is much of a coach.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#205 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:31 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I've been an advocate for Kolek for a few months now but what's your take on previous Nash-esque/floor general type prospects we drafted and didn't end up doing much in the NBA like Tyler Ennis and Kendall Marshall?

I'm trying to figure out what Kolek does differently that could allow him to have a legit NBA career as opposed to the Marshalls, Ennis and Jerome (who I totally forgot about).

You're quite right to ask that question though man as in terms of overall athleticism, size,speed, strength, etc he's firmly in this same camp as those other names listed AND will struggle significantly to offer similar impact as to what he produced at the college level. Really the only distinct advantage that I see for him that may separate him from those other names and allow him to stick around in the league (and this separation may only be incrementally significant and situationally based) would be his overal "in game" processing and poise in which he already plays comfortably like a seasoned (experienced) vet that might help him adjust a bit quicker to the jump. But again, I'll heavily reiterate that to optimize his outcome fully, we'd need to ALSO ADD a couple more high level athletes in a high level defender to help cover for his targeted athletic/ size deficiencies, and definitely a dominant athletic post presence/rim protector/ rim running lob threat to draw defensive attention away from him in space, and give him room to fully optimize his elite court vision/passing as well as space to shoot effectively absent of any burst, etc to create space in isolation.

His career can translate well to a high level quality backup (bench level) guard orchestrator ala maybe TJ McConnell or a Milos Teodisic. But anything beyond that is highly unlikely. :wink:
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#206 » by Crives » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:27 pm

So what draft pick do we have now? Is there a coin flip to decide 3 way tie?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#207 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 pm

Crives wrote:So what draft pick do we have now? Is there a coin flip to decide 3 way tie?

According to Gemini

In the NBA, if two or three teams finish the regular season with identical records and miss the playoffs (meaning they aren't involved in the draft lottery), a tiebreaker system determines which team gets the higher draft pick:

Head-to-Head Record: The first tiebreaker is the head-to-head record between the tied teams. Whichever team won more games against the other tied teams gets the higher draft pick.

Division Record: If the head-to-head record doesn't break the tie, the NBA looks at the teams' win-loss record within their division. The team with the better divisional record gets the higher pick.

Conference Record: If the divisional record doesn't settle the tie, the tiebreaker moves on to conference record. The team with the better record against all opponents in their conference gets the advantage.

Strength of Victory (SoV): This tiebreaker considers the winning percentage of the teams each tied team has beaten. The team with the higher SoV gets the higher pick.

Strength of Schedule (SoS): If SoV doesn't break the tie, the NBA considers the strength of the opponents each team has played throughout the season. The team that faced a tougher schedule (higher combined winning percentage of opponents) gets the higher pick.

Coin Flip: As a last resort, if none of the previous tiebreakers resolve the situation, the NBA conducts a random coin flip to determine the draft order.

Based on the first tie breaker, if I'm not wrong, we should have the higher pick as Milwaukee is 1-1 against us and the Pels but we're 2-1 against the Pels so that should give us that leg up. I believe the other tiebreaker not mentioned might just be the Pels not making the playoffs at all.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#208 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I've been an advocate for Kolek for a few months now but what's your take on previous Nash-esque/floor general type prospects we drafted and didn't end up doing much in the NBA like Tyler Ennis and Kendall Marshall?

Did you look at the #s I posted? He can shoot AND pass, for one. None of those guys were good floor general/assist guys AND good shooters. He can also get to the rim. One thing it doesn't show in the graphic is 2pt%, which is probably very important. A guy like Jerome, who appears to be a good shooter looking at 3pt%, shoots unfer 47% from 2, while Kolek is over 55%. Marshall couldn't score but was supposed to be a good passer...but he also was on a loaded UNC squad.

I'm not even sure why we drafted Ennis. He was like under 43% from 2, and like 35% from 3 and averaged 5 ast and 13 pts. We also already had Bledsoe and Dragic. I think McD actually tried to take him because he thought the Raptors wanted him and thought he could swap picks and get a future one and it backfired. But Ennis

was not that impressive in one year of college. Kolek is a much much more experienced high IQ, leader type guy than any of those guys. He is very highly thought of in the country. Not that many PGs are talked about for Naismith and Wooden awards. The last I remember was Brunson.

Anyway, Jerome and Marshall never even made 1st team of their conferences...or Ennis. Kolek has been not only All first team of his conference, but conference player of the year and in consideration for the Naismith/Wooden Awards (Best College Player).

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#209 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Did you look at the #s I posted? He can shoot AND pass, for one. None of those guys were good floor general/assist guys AND good shooters. He can also get to the rim. One thing it doesn't show in the graphic is 2pt%, which is probably very important. A guy like Jerome, who appears to be a good shooter looking at 3pt%, shoots unfer 47% from 2, while Kolek is over 55%. Marshall couldn't score but was supposed to be a good passer...but he also was on a loaded UNC squad.

I'm not even sure why we drafted Ennis. He was like under 43% from 2, and like 35% from 3 and averaged 5 ast and 13 pts. We also already had Bledsoe and Dragic. I think McD actually tried to take him because he thought the Raptors wanted him and thought he could swap picks and get a future one and it backfired. But Ennis

was not that impressive in one year of college. Kolek is a much much more experienced high IQ, leader type guy than any of those guys. He is very highly thought of in the country. Not that many PGs are talked about for Naismith and Wooden awards. The last I remember was Brunson.

Anyway, Jerome and Marshall never even made 1st team of their conferences...or Ennis. Kolek has been not only All first team of his conference, but conference player of the year and in consideration for the Naismith/Wooden Awards (Best College Player).

I looked at it but stats doesn't necessarily tell the whole story especially at the college level. That why I wanted pick the mind of Ghost to see what he thought was the differentiating factor, not just stats. Kolek is also a senior so he's had 4 years to get acclimated to the collegiate level, get familiar with the system they were running and might just be more experienced (and older) compared to the others who may only have 1-3 years in college.

Don't want to compare Nash because he's from a different era and there's enough differences that I'm not confident in making a 1:1 comparison. But compared to the others, I think Kolek has the most well rounded game, has the most experience but aside from the below average NBA athleticism, I wanted to figure out what else could hold him back.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#210 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I looked at it but stats doesn't necessarily tell the whole story especially at the college level. That why I wanted pick the mind of Ghost to see what he thought was the differentiating factor, not just stats. Kolek is also a senior so he's had 4 years to get acclimated to the collegiate level, get familiar with the system they were running and might just be more experienced (and older) compared to the others who may only have 1-3 years in college.

Don't want to compare Nash because he's from a different era and there's enough differences that I'm not confident in making a 1:1 comparison. But compared to the others, I think Kolek has the most well rounded game, has the most experience but aside from the below average NBA athleticism, I wanted to figure out what else could hold him back.

It's very hard to make it in the NBA if you have below avg size/athleticism, but moreso in today's game if you can shoot and have a high IQ and be a floor general, playmaking for others and spreading the floor it helps.

But any guy you get in the 20s I'm not sure you can have super high expectations of. Someone else mentioned us getting Finley at 21. I don't remember if we got any other good players in the 20s...maybe going all the way back to Kyle Macy.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#211 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I looked at it but stats doesn't necessarily tell the whole story especially at the college level. That why I wanted pick the mind of Ghost to see what he thought was the differentiating factor, not just stats. Kolek is also a senior so he's had 4 years to get acclimated to the collegiate level, get familiar with the system they were running and might just be more experienced (and older) compared to the others who may only have 1-3 years in college.

It's very hard to make it in the NBA if you have below avg size/athleticism, but moreso in today's game if you can shoot and have a high IQ and be a floor general, playmaking for others and spreading the floor it helps.

But any guy you get in the 20s I'm not sure you can have super high expectations of. Someone else mentioned us getting Finley at 21. I don't remember if we got any other good players in the 20s...maybe going all the way back to Kyle Macy.

Certainly not expecting any prospect to significantly change our team but I just hope Kolek can bring enough to stay on the court and then impact that game positively over time.

I will say after seeing Revive's post with this, it does give me a little more confidence that even if Edey is a subpar switch defender, he could still bring tremendous value defensively. If Brolo, Zubac and Gobert can bring game changing defense in spite of their other defensive shortcomings, perhaps Edey could develop into something similar.

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#212 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

bwgood77 wrote:

The other important consideration with Kolek would be that given his elite skillset and positional role as a poised tablesetting floor general with advanced processing ability and uncanny poise, their really isn't a more ideal fit/ match situationally. This is primarily due to our elite offensive weapons. But also because of our lack of a competent BACKUP GUARD with PLAYMAKING/ TABLE SETTING ABILITIES to get our bench shots in their ideal spots and to keep the offense flowing.

Seeing as we actually don't need a starting level guard, and really just need a comptent bench playmaking guard with some leadership attributes and poise, Kolek really is the ideal match for those needs. HOWEVER, the irony of our recent success may once again move us out of his range to even be a viable target for us when everything is said and done! And really, worse case scenario, we need to at least consider other contingency options to address those needs accordingly should he be off the board prior to our pick??

For my part, IF things play out that way, I'd strongly be looking at the next three guard prosects (from my list that could still successfully fill that role alternatively. For me at least, those options clearly are:

1- Tyrese Proctor.
Mike Conley with a bit of Lonzo Ball athleticism/passing acumen.
2- Tristin Newton.
Baron Davis/Deron Williams crafty downhill/ISO scoring, and a budget version of Harden ballhandling, playmaking, big shotmaking craft.
3- Ajay Mitchell
A 6'5 version of Tyus Jones offensively and in terms of playmaking. But Tre Jones pesky hawking defense.

These should be the top alternatives on our big board come draft night if we settle past Koleks' range. :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#213 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Certainly not expecting any prospect to significantly change our team but I just hope Kolek can bring enough to stay on the court and then impact that game positively over time.

I will say after seeing Revive's post with this, it does give me a little more confidence that even if Edey is a subpar switch defender, he could still bring tremendous value defensively. If Brolo, Zubac and Gobert can bring game changing defense in spite of their other defensive shortcomings, perhaps Edey could develop into something similar.

Edey would be a really solid Nurkic backup IF available despite his mobility issues BECAUSE of his sheer size, girth and wingspan would still be imposing to your point. But also, he'd create significant vertical gravity forcing the opposition to have to double team and maybe even triple team (collapse) to try and limit or contain him. Which of course would bode very well for our elite shooters. :D

That being said....................... IF Edey were not available, then the next best and most similar alternative would become Joel Soriano of Syracuse. At 6'11 and about 265 lbs, He's 2nd only to Edey himself in double/doubles. He can pass, has a 13% rebound rating averages around 2 blocks per, and can hit the three servicably. After that, we should really be aggressive in targeting a very athletic, long, physical rim protecting, SWITCHABLE center (or 4/5 if possible)?? :dontknow:
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#214 » by Crives » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 am

I hope we bring in a rookie, but feels like we are destined to use the first to salary dump little for cap space and 2nds
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#215 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

Crives wrote:I hope we bring in a rookie, but feels like we are destined to use the first to salary dump little for cap space and 2nds

I really hope that something like that doesn't happen! BUT...................................... It would reek of something J Jones would do to not have to scout the draft. Kinda like how he finds a way to throw in/surrender as many assets as he can in any deal he makes/ orchestrates. About as brilliant as when he didn't resign Torrey Craig in free agency, only to shortly after give up a pick in order to trade for him back from Indiana. :banghead:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#216 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

The other important consideration with Kolek would be that given his elite skillset and positional role as a poised tablesetting floor general with advanced processing ability and uncanny poise, their really isn't a more ideal fit/ match situationally. This is primarily due to our elite offensive weapons. But also because of our lack of a competent BACKUP GUARD with PLAYMAKING/ TABLE SETTING ABILITIES to get our bench shots in their ideal spots and to keep the offense flowing.

Seeing as we actually don't need a starting level guard, and really just need a comptent bench playmaking guard with some leadership attributes and poise, Kolek really is the ideal match for those needs. HOWEVER, the irony of our recent success may once again move us out of his range to even be a viable target for us when everything is said and done! And really, worse case scenario, we need to at least consider other contingency options to address those needs accordingly should he be off the board prior to our pick??

For my part, IF things play out that way, I'd strongly be looking at the next three guard prosects (from my list that could still successfully fill that role alternatively. For me at least, those options clearly are:

1- Tyrese Proctor.
2- Tristin Newton.
Baron Davis/Deron Williams crafty downhill/ISO scoring, and a budget version of Harden ballhandling, playmaking, big shotmaking craft.
3- Ajay Mitchell
A 6'5 version of Tyus Jones offensively and in terms of playmaking. But Tre Jones pesky hawking defense.

These should be the top alternatives on our big board come draft night if we settle past Koleks' range. :wink:

If we're not drafting a pure PG like Kolek, then I'd want a bigger guard with some passing abilities.

I looked at Proctor but couldn't find him in any mocks. Is he looking like an undrafted prospect? Had a look on reddit and it's a bit underwhelming:
He's scoring 10.5ppg on average/below average efficiency as a sophomore. That's pretty underwhelming for a sophomore. You'd expect a first round sophomore to be fairly dominant and he's just not showing any signs of that. He doesn't have any elite traits, either, does he? So he's not very productive, not very efficient, older and doesn't have elite traits. I can't think of many guys who fit that bill that get first round looks off the top of my head. I'd think he'd stay in school another year to see if he can break out as a junior.

Newton is interesting, looks like he can do a bit of everything, good athlete, has been a winner at the college level but his shooting is a real worry. It's really damn hard to make it in the NBA without a decent shot and his shot has been real up and down.

Mitchell is really interesting to me. Good at driving and getting to the line, very capable scorer, efficient, but so so on the playmaking end which might be OK.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,743

Post#217 » by sunsbum » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

You're quite right to ask that question though man as in terms of overall athleticism, size,speed, strength, etc he's firmly in this same camp as those other names listed AND will struggle significantly to offer similar impact as to what he produced at the college level. Really the only distinct advantage that I see for him that may separate him from those other names and allow him to stick around in the league (and this separation may only be incrementally significant and situationally based) would be his overal "in game" processing and poise in which he already plays comfortably like a seasoned (experienced) vet that might help him adjust a bit quicker to the jump. But again, I'll heavily reiterate that to optimize his outcome fully, we'd need to ALSO ADD a couple more high level athletes in a high level defender to help cover for his targeted athletic/ size deficiencies, and definitely a dominant athletic post presence/rim protector/ rim running lob threat to draw defensive attention away from him in space, and give him room to fully optimize his elite court vision/passing as well as space to shoot effectively absent of any burst, etc to create space in isolation.

His career can translate well to a high level quality backup (bench level) guard orchestrator ala maybe TJ McConnell or a Milos Teodisic. But anything beyond that is highly unlikely. :wink:
you could have asked the same question about Steve Nash. Really it’s just about what’s upstairs.
Flex is now your father.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#218 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw Revived's image, was that I had seed Edey compared to Zubac on the GB.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#219 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Crives wrote:I hope we bring in a rookie, but feels like we are destined to use the first to salary dump little for cap space and 2nds

Hopefully he realizes we are at the point where we cannot sign anyone that is not already on the team to anything above minimums, so the only way to get a player who has more probable upside on a good deal is to draft someone.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#220 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

1- Tyrese Proctor.
2- Tristin Newton.
3- Ajay Mitchell

If we're not drafting a pure PG like Kolek, then I'd want a bigger guard with some passing abilities.

I looked at Proctor but couldn't find him in any mocks. Is he looking like an undrafted prospect? Had a look on reddit and it's a bit underwhelming:
He's scoring 10.5ppg on average/below average efficiency as a sophomore. That's pretty underwhelming for a sophomore. You'd expect a first round sophomore to be fairly dominant and he's just not showing any signs of that. He doesn't have any elite traits, either, does he? So he's not very productive, not very efficient, older and doesn't have elite traits. I can't think of many guys who fit that bill that get first round looks off the top of my head. I'd think he'd stay in school another year to see if he can break out as a junior.

Newton is interesting, looks like he can do a bit of everything, good athlete, has been a winner at the college level but his shooting is a real worry. It's really damn hard to make it in the NBA without a decent shot and his shot has been real up and down.

Mitchell is really interesting to me. Good at driving and getting to the line, very capable scorer, efficient, but so so on the playmaking end which might be OK.

A lot of the time with certian prospects the underlying situational context goes unmentioned or is overlooked for more sensational discussion and hyped prospects. I believe that Proctor actually falls within this context. For5 example, at Duke, Tyrese Proctor just happened to get swallowed up in a deep rotation with Jared McCain, Caleb Foster, and Jeremy Roach already in the rotation when he joined Duke. So minutes were a bit hard to come by in that situation, and perhaps that situation was not his best decision to fully showcase himself correctly, however.........................................

This article breaks down underlying key points in Proctors' hidden value (IF given more playing time to get into a consistent rhythm).
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2023/12/duke-mens-basketball-tyrese-proctor-analysis-injury-caleb-foster-jaylen-blakes-jon-scheyer

Proctors' situation is actually one of potentially high end- elite talent suppression due to situational/environmental factors etc hiding his true high end trajectory. The stats and metrics are listed in this article, but without legitimate playing time, It'd be pretty hard for any talented prospect to properly establish his value or outlier traits. On top of the depth issues he faced during his sophmore season at Duke, his progress and consistency was also derailed further by an ankle injury and then a concussion later in the season. BUT his high end abilities are still present, he just hasn't yet had a consistent opportunity to showcase himself fully in his first season at Duke! He came into Duke from the Australian league as a potential lottery pick, but yes has to this point failed to gain his footing in his limited time and due to injury, but again, the talent, flashes, and high end potential are still there. Here's a few links that explain his potential, talent trajectory, etc:

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/scouting-duke-guard-tyrese-proctor/#:~:text=Proctor%20is%20an%20instinctive%20defender,man%20get%20off%20easy%20looks.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-dukes-tyrese-proctor

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyrese-proctor/
https://sircharlesincharge.com/posts/2024-draft-prospect-proctor-haliburton-comparison (LOL!! :lol: But still)

(2 min 20 sec video clip of Proctor)- January 2024

Tyrese Proctor may not yet have shown to be a lottery level prospect, and he might not reach that ceiling, but for us (in our situation) not needing a starting level guard and only really a competent backup guard, Proctor with his elite underlying abilities/ skills and size at maybe a late 1st to mid 2nd range would still represent extreme value. AND IF he somehow does hit his ceiling as a 6'5 hybrid of Conley (leadership/poise/intangibles) and pre injury Lonzo Ball ( elite passing/athlticism/ defensive potential), then the risk is minimal vs the reward. At the very least he'd represent a very competent backup guard with size, versatility, and untapped lottery potential.

** And You don't see him anywhere on draft rankings/mocks primarily because scouts were still waiting to see if he'd actually declare for the 24' draft. And given his down season and injury complications/ depth stumbling blocks (minutes/exposure) it appears he's chosen to return for his junior season to elevate his status for 2025??
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10116522-report-dukes-tyrese-proctor-to-return-for-junior-season-forego-2024-nba-draft

So it looks like he'll be replaced by Ajay Mitchell on my list as the #2 or #3 option possibly? :D

Return to Phoenix Suns