ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,798

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title 

Post#101 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:19 pm

sunskerr wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:We'd have to steal Jalen Williams. Durant is old, but he's still putting up 28 points a game. Plus, the Thunder keeping Dort, gives them that on-ball defender that they would need in the playoffs against players like ANT.

Too valuable. He's 22 averaging a shave under 19 ppg on 54% FG and 42% 3P, getting his own shots, running the offense, and defending very well. That's a star prospect the second he gets his own team. Love to have him but it's not happening.

Probably just get Giddey and see if he can grow into a future PG for us and then a 2nd prospect + whatever picks they agree to.

I think it's fair to say Jalen Williams has more value, but I don't think the Suns would trade KD without getting something more valuable than Giddey.
It would be better to just keep Durant if the best asset returning is Giddey as Suns don't own their 2025 pick, 2027 pick, 2029 pick. Keeping KD keeps the Suns out of being a bottom feeder, and his contract expires in 2025/26, along with Nurkic. Likely, if the Suns offer Royce O'Neal a contract it will be a 2-year deal worth $13-15 million a season, that way his contract also expires after 2025/26 season.

And this isn't directed at you, but I'm not sure what the Knicks would throw to get KD since they have a lot of team chemistry, and they shouldn't want to disrupt that, but would the offer be Anunoby and like... Robinson?
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#102 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

The New York knicks vultures are beginning to circle! And I gotta say that I'm not really that upset at the idea of a Durant to the knicks trade IF it returned us some of the assets and depth that we impulsively gave up so quickly. ALSO interesting and to Slims' point (suggestion) about a KD to OKC type trade, and along the lines of what I discussed too
, It's interesting that other people (even nba pundits are sharing a similarly premised perspective:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/kevin_durant_predicted_to_leave_phoenix_suns_after_season/s1_17149_40276626

:nod:

Thank you.

BW, this is what I've been trying to tell you for the past 6 months and you don't listen lol. A national syndicated guy saying it will hopefully make you realize it's a legit possibility.

OKC has always made the most sense. Going to NYC is okay, but that team belongs to Brunson. Durant going home and bringing them a chip would be huge for his legacy-which he cares about.

I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

I still don't see it because some blogger or radio talk guy said something.

Television. Not some random blogger. He's on Fox Sports and broadcasts his show from NYC to Hawaii and everywhere in between.

Literally 10s of millions watch him. Every day. Hardly a light weight.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,539

Post#103 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Thank you.

BW, this is what I've been trying to tell you for the past 6 months and you don't listen lol. A national syndicated guy saying it will hopefully make you realize it's a legit possibility.

OKC has always made the most sense. Going to NYC is okay, but that team belongs to Brunson. Durant going home and bringing them a chip would be huge for his legacy-which he cares about.

I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

Television. Not some random blogger. He's on Fox Sports and broadcasts his show from NYC to Hawaii and everywhere in between.

So does Colin Cowherd but I think he's an idiot. Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith.

If you are right, I will admit I am wrong and give you props. We don't need to keep arguing if it will happen. Either it will or it won't. You can rub it in if it happens, but you don't need to rub it in because some talking head also said it.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#104 » by sunskerr » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I think it's fair to say Jalen Williams has more value, but I don't think the Suns would trade KD without getting something more valuable than Giddey.
It would be better to just keep Durant if the best asset returning is Giddey as Suns don't own their 2025 pick, 2027 pick, 2029 pick. Keeping KD keeps the Suns out of being a bottom feeder, and his contract expires in 2025/26, along with Nurkic. Likely, if the Suns offer Royce O'Neal a contract it will be a 2-year deal worth $13-15 million a season, that way his contract also expires after 2025/26 season.

And this isn't directed at you, but I'm not sure what the Knicks would throw to get KD since they have a lot of team chemistry, and they shouldn't want to disrupt that, but would the offer be Anunoby and like... Robinson?

I just dont see what else we could get from them. Cason Wallace? I think he's a better prospect than Giddey. There's a reason they drafted him whilst having a million guards already. I think I'd prefer Wallace.

Clock is ticking though - we're actually sitting on a depreciating asset in KD. We don't really have the luxury of waiting. He'll be 36 in the offseason. We're not going anywhere with him so we have to do it (if we're smart).

Anunoby/Robinson seems a bit much as well. Im just not anticipating KD to have much of a return. 36 is just really out there.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#105 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 pm

Not sure if you guys watched this, but this kind of applies to the Suns. If the Suns want the big-3 to be successful, they have to learn to play together, not this stupid ISO crap. I don't think Vogel is the coach to do this either. I'd be interested to see what D'Antoni is able to do with this team, Budenholzer, whoever else really. The Suns didn't need a defensive mastermind coach to come in, they needed a offensive wizard to make the team fun and dynamic.

For instance, I don't understand why, the Suns have elite three-point shooters / role players in Grayson Allen, Eric Gordon, and then even Royce O'Neal and the Suns rank bottom 6 in 3PA's per game at 32 a game. I don't understand why in the playoffs, the Suns are shooting 25 3PA's per game. The Suns have taken 50 3PA's in the first two games, the Boston Celtics shot 49 3's... in game 1! The Suns are literally dead last in 3PA's so far in the playoffs. Two of the 50 3's taken is by Nurkic, probably the 2nd to last guy you want taking threes for the Suns (Eubanks No 1). IT's taken a 3, and then Little has taken 2 3s, those happened in garbage minutes when the Suns were blown out.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#106 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:42 pm

sunskerr wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I think it's fair to say Jalen Williams has more value, but I don't think the Suns would trade KD without getting something more valuable than Giddey.

I just dont see what else we could get from them. Cason Wallace? I think he's a better prospect than Giddey. There's a reason they drafted him whilst having a million guards already. I think I'd prefer Wallace.

Clock is ticking though - we're actually sitting on a depreciating asset in KD. We don't really have the luxury of waiting. He'll be 36 in the offseason. We're not going anywhere with him so we have to do it (if we're smart).

Anunoby/Robinson seems a bit much as well. Im just not anticipating KD to have much of a return. 36 is just really out there.

It wouldn't make sense to deal him KD then is basically my point. We'd essentially just have to tear everything down, but the Suns don't even own their own assets to make that work either. So Suns should make the best of what they have, and try to patch it up.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,582

Post#107 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2024/4/24/24138754/nfl-draft-trade-predictions-2024-nba-playoffs-recap

Bill Simmons "Ringer" podcast along with Kevin O'connor rflect and postulate on Phoenix possibly blowing it all up and what their most realistic options are going forward in trade scenarios, etc. Around 22 minutes in they discuss things!
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,533

Post#108 » by Stix » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2024/4/24/24138754/nfl-draft-trade-predictions-2024-nba-playoffs-recap

Bill Simmons "Ringer" podcast along with Kevin O'connor rflect and postulate on Phoenix possibly blowing it all up and what their most realistic options are going forward in trade scenarios, etc. Around 22 minutes in they discuss things!

Summary? Can't stand Bill Simmons.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#109 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

So does Colin Cowherd but I think he's an idiot. Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith.

If you are right, I will admit I am wrong and give you props. We don't need to keep arguing if it will happen. Either it will or it won't. You can rub it in if it happens, but you don't need to rub it in because some talking head also said it.

I won't rub it in. We all want what's best for the Suns.

That being said, if I'm right convince Howard and the other mods to let me back on the GB :lol: 8-)
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#110 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 pm

sunskerr wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:We'd have to steal Jalen Williams. Durant is old, but he's still putting up 28 points a game. Plus, the Thunder keeping Dort, gives them that on-ball defender that they would need in the playoffs against players like ANT.

Too valuable. He's 22 averaging a shave under 19 ppg on 54% FG and 42% 3P, getting his own shots, running the offense, and defending very well. That's a star prospect the second he gets his own team. Love to have him but it's not happening.

Probably just get Giddey and see if he can grow into a future PG for us and then a 2nd prospect + whatever picks they agree to.

bwgood77 wrote:I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

I think whatever we get for KD this offseason, if we trade him, is a decent approximation (key word approximation) of what his value actually was when we traded for him.

Just something to watch out for.

This is why I didn't include Jalen in my version of a KD to OKC trade because I believe that Presti would strongly consider adding KD, BUT ONLY IF he were getting a bargain and winning the value exchange in the trade, I believe the maximum value return we could ask for from OKC without Presti killing the trade would be something like:

Durant for Dort/Wallace or Giddy/ Joe or Wiggins (I like either)/ Miami 25' 1st (1-14 protected)/ DEN 27' 1st (1-5 protected)/DAL 28' 1st no protections. :dontknow:
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#111 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

sunskerr wrote:

I think that Giddey is a great get for us. His skill set works fantasticly with Book and Beal (B+B) in that he a pass 1st player....which is ideal with 2 shoot first guards. His size allows us to play him at SF-which in turn allows us to continue starting B+B in the backcourt. We don't necessarily NEED a PG, we need someone who can distribute and can competently run an offense. That's Giddey.

I think Dort is a must from OKC's side because they need the cap figure to fit Durant in there. I also wanna send them Nurk, so that number will be even higher from their end.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#112 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:10 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

bwgood77 wrote:I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

I think whatever we get for KD this offseason, if we trade him, is a decent approximation (key word approximation) of what his value actually was when we traded for him.

This is why I didn't include Jalen in my version of a KD to OKC trade because I believe that Presti would strongly consider adding KD, BUT ONLY IF he were getting a bargain and winning the value exchange in the trade, I believe the maximum value return we could ask for from OKC without Presti killing the trade would be something like:

Durant for Dort/Wallace or Giddy/ Joe or Wiggins (I like either)/ Miami 25' 1st (1-14 protected)/ DEN 27' 1st (1-5 protected)/DAL 28' 1st no protections. :dontknow:

There's no way we get Jalen Williams. He's too important to that team. I'm happy with the other guys and some draft picks.

Also, GoK don't forget about the 2nds. That's why I included them. I think that's a point we can push Presti on. Lots of them so we can clear like 6 minimum from him. Maybe more
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#113 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm

Stix wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2024/4/24/24138754/nfl-draft-trade-predictions-2024-nba-playoffs-recap

Summary? Can't stand Bill Simmons.

Basically, They were saying that if we likely get bounced in the first round after Ishbia committed to paying upwards of 200 million for a team that can't even make it past the first round, and he's asking himself why he paid so much with only two playoff wins in two years to show for it, that big changes are very likely coming this summer. The first and most likely of those being Vogel and Jones both gone!! But that likely might not be enough (considering that we don't really have any future to look towards now after the shortsighted "all in" gamble that put us in one of the very worst and most hopeless positions possible.

And then things might rapidly become options for trading Durant and trying to build out depth and recoup lost assets from trading him, as they literally have no legitimate chance to compete or get better as constructed being a top heavy team with redundent players that just aren't functional together. And also with no legit roster depth. They mention that a Beal trade is unlikely because of his no trade clause mostly, and a Booker trade is incredibly unlikely UNLESS................... He tells the front office that he wants out! Lastly, they discuss a few potential trade considerations, with New Orleans as one option, But that the suns ownership would likely still want a haul back in order to try and replace all the pieces/ assets that they gave away. There's much more inclusive details, It starts at 22:00 minutes in and is basically about an 8-10 minute discussion maybe.

The overall point to take from things is that major changes will be imminent this summer if we fall short yet again, and embarassingly get booted out in the first round of the playoffs this season. Likeliest trade asset with value being KD that they'll be open to moving! :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#114 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

There's no way we get Jalen Williams. He's too important to that team. I'm happy with the other guys and some draft picks.

Also, GoK don't forget about the 2nds. That's why I included them. I think that's a point we can push Presti on. Lots of them so we can clear like 6 minimum from him. Maybe more

Ooops! My bad, that's very true as well. Of all the people to forget 2nds huh...lol. :lol:
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#115 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

You really never know what the Thunder would accept. They almost lost in Game 1 against the 8th seed Pelicans, without Zion. I still think they beat the Pels, but if they have a tough time in the playoffs I could see them making a play at a star-player. I'm unsure what star players would be okay going to OKC. I don't think Jimmy Butler would want to, Donovan Mitchell wants to go to a bigger market city, I'm unsure who else would be willing to go there.

Again, I don't see Giddey as the main asset coming back for KD, that's hard sale to get fans back into the arena. With Giddey's relationship with a minor (he didn't know she was a minor), and then Mr ORNG's pedophile charges, IDK... maybe I'm grasping at straws. Someone did mention on Twitter that Mr ORNG's seat(s) were available to buy for Game 3 and Game 4, so that means the Suns obviously were aware of his misconduct and didn't offer him the seats first as I assume they typically do as a sixth man member.

I just don't see how Ishbia makes that kind of move, 15 months after trading the farm for KD.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#116 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 pm

Qwigglez wrote:

Not sure if you guys watched this, but this kind of applies to the Suns. If the Suns want the big-3 to be successful, they have to learn to play together, not this stupid ISO crap. I don't think Vogel is the coach to do this either. I'd be interested to see what D'Antoni is able to do with this team, Budenholzer, whoever else really. The Suns didn't need a defensive mastermind coach to come in, they needed a offensive wizard to make the team fun and dynamic.

For instance, I don't understand why, the Suns have elite three-point shooters / role players in Grayson Allen, Eric Gordon, and then even Royce O'Neal and the Suns rank bottom 6 in 3PA's per game at 32 a game. I don't understand why in the playoffs, the Suns are shooting 25 3PA's per game. The Suns have taken 50 3PA's in the first two games, the Boston Celtics shot 49 3's... in game 1! The Suns are literally dead last in 3PA's so far in the playoffs. Two of the 50 3's taken is by Nurkic, probably the 2nd to last guy you want taking threes for the Suns (Eubanks No 1). IT's taken a 3, and then Little has taken 2 3s, those happened in garbage minutes when the Suns were blown out.

Our 3 are not even in the same world as those 3. And I hated that team.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#117 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:
Our 3 are not even in the same world as those 3. And I hated that team.

Statistically speaking, it's actually very close. I would say Suns even have a better supporting cast then the Heatles had initially, and probably the team compares fairly well to the 2013/14 Heat team. I suppose the most obvious discrepancy is the Heat had leaders in Bron and DWade. And then... well Spoelstra who was young and upcoming coach who was willing to change his offense and schemes to fit his roster.

I definitely think the Suns should go a different direction coaching wise if we end up getting booted in the 1st round, and probably even 2nd round. Vogel isn't getting the most out of this team IMO.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#118 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 pm

Qwigglez wrote:You really never know what the Thunder would accept. They almost lost in Game 1 against the 8th seed Pelicans, without Zion. I still think they beat the Pels, but if they have a tough time in the playoffs I could see them making a play at a star-player. I'm unsure what star players would be okay going to OKC. I don't think Jimmy Butler would want to, Donovan Mitchell wants to go to a bigger market city, I'm unsure who else would be willing to go there.

Again, I don't see Giddey as the main asset coming back for KD, that's hard sale to get fans back into the arena. With Giddey's relationship with a minor (he didn't know she was a minor), and then Mr ORNG's pedophile charges, IDK... maybe I'm grasping at straws. Someone did mention on Twitter that Mr ORNG's seat(s) were available to buy for Game 3 and Game 4, so that means the Suns obviously were aware of his misconduct and didn't offer him the seats first as I assume they typically do as a sixth man member.

I just don't see how Ishbia makes that kind of move, 15 months after trading the farm for KD.

Hence my point about how all of us need to be Pelican fans. OKC losses and Presti will wanna make a deal. They go all the way to the WCF or Finals and he'll probably let it ride.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#119 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

I think it's fair to say Jalen Williams has more value, but I don't think the Suns would trade KD without getting something more valuable than Giddey.

I hear what you're saying in your response to sunskerr and in regards to Williams value and our preferred value in any KD trade. BUT the important consideration in this premise is the value exchange (coming back to us in this scenario) can be cumulative. As in while not getting J Williams back, Giddey would only be one piece of multiple in a return for KD. I for my part wouldn't do it for anything less than Dort/ Giddy/ Joe or Wiggins and multiple picks (maybe 2-3 1sts and some 2nds too). I can easily feel comfortable with this kind of offer knowing that New York would very likely bite on a KD trade as they've coveted him for quite awhile now! And if they make it far enough in the postseason this year, He'll be seen as the potential elusive piece that could get them into the finals or possibly further?

As for what I'd ask for back, It'd most likely be one of two packages:

Package #1
KD for Randle/Bogdanovic/ McBride/ 24' WAS 1st (1-12 protected)/ MIL 25' 1st (1-4 protected)/ NY 27' 1st/ BRK 25' 2nd (no protections)/ NY 27' 2nd/29' 2nd via IND or WAS (no protections).
Bojan Bogdanovic would be a 20 million expiring contract that could give us more cap space or that we could flip for other assets? Randle can add more rebounding, toughness, physicality and playmaking alongside of Nurkic in our frontcourt giving us a more dominant frontcourt to compliment our backcourt of Book and Beal "the BB gunners"...lol. And with Randle and Nurkic sharing playmaking as unconventional initiators, Book and Beal would have less playmaking pressure and could focus more on scoring!

Package #2
KD for Randle/Hart/Sims/McBride/ 24' WAS 1st (1-12 protected)/ MIL 25' 1st (1-4 protected)/ NY 27' 1st/ BRK 25' 2nd (no protections)/ NY 27' 2nd/29' 2nd via IND or WAS (no protections). Similar premise as above, but more positional depth :dontknow:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#120 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

In what could be the literal worst value return trade premise that I've ever seen! And has literally less than zero chance of happening in any reality:
https://www.thecoldwire.com/bill-simmons-proposes-wild-devin-booker-trade/
Bill Simmons Proposes Wild Devin Booker Trade
April 24, 2024
By Ryan Ward
@Ryan Ward LA

Two games into their first-round matchup, the Suns are facing a 0-2 deficit and could end up getting swept by the upstart Timberwolves, which would be a disaster and has prompted Bill Simmons of The Ringer to propose the team should trade Booker to the New Orleans Pelicans, via NBACentral.

“CJ McCollum and Trey Murphy, and throw us two future picks, and you can have Booker,” Simmons said.
Read on Twitter

It may be a bit too early to break up this new big three in Phoenix, as injuries limited their time together this season.

However, the team is in win-now mode and if the front office doesn’t feel this team can get it done, the Suns could get aggressive in the offseason, but trading Booker might be a stretch, to say the least.

I get that this is somewhat taken out of context in random postulation about the suns possibly blowing it all up! But regardless of absurd clickbait level ploys, It's this kind of horrifically idiotic delusion that should warrant Bill Simmons recieving a lifetime ban from ever discussing NBA topics as saying something this grotesquely idiotic should warrant him losing any/all credibility he might have had! And further punished with a lifetime ban for this unmatched level of imbicillic azzhattery! :banghead: :crazy: :banghead: :crazy: :banghead: :crazy:

Return to Phoenix Suns