ImageImageImage

Kinda glad we didn't get James Harden

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

JTrain
Starter
And1: 1,012

Re: Kinda glad we didn't get James Harden 

Post#21 » by JTrain » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 am

haha, this is great. love the around-the-back swipe, like... at least I tried!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#22 » by Revived » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 pm

PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:you're an idiot if you wouldn't take the best SG in the league on your team.

This. I don't like Harden one bit but he played a huge role in Dwight going there.

He carried the Rockets to the playoffs on his back in his first year in Houston. He's a major reason the Rockets are a lot closer to winning a title than the Suns.

I don't like his personality and hate the flopping but he's a great offensive player who is incredibly efficient. Plus he isn't even in his prime yet and is still putting up ridiculous numbers. Pretty sure all 30 teams in the NBA would kill to have him on their team as the starting SG.

Personally I just wouldn't make Harden a #1, I think he's more #2 right now. But of course he's only 25 so he can grow as a player.
PhxSunsFan1234
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#23 » by PhxSunsFan1234 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:you're an idiot if you wouldn't take the best SG in the league on your team.

I'd take the best SG in the league on my team. My concern is that if we don't re-sign Eric that we'll be forced to move the best SG in the league back to the point guard position.

You can't be serious? You actually think Goran Dragic is better than James Harden?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,287

Post#24 » by Calvin Klein » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 am

I do actually think Dragic was better last season.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#25 » by gaspar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:01 am

Calvin Klein wrote:I do actually think Dragic was better last season.

Oh my.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#26 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 am

PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:

I'd take the best SG in the league on my team. My concern is that if we don't re-sign Eric that we'll be forced to move the best SG in the league back to the point guard position.

You can't be serious? You actually think Goran Dragic is better than James Harden?

I think Harden excels at certain aspects of the game but along the way he drags his teammates down. He reminds me of that version of Kobe several years ago where his team would almost always lose when he went for big points. He's nowhere near the player Kobe was but the idea is the same. And his complete lack of regard for defense makes him perhaps the most one-way player in the league. It befuddles me how people can call him a top 5 player when he is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He's an incredible individual offensive weapon but in a team game, I'll take Goran. Dragic wasn't surrounded by anywhere near the talent that Harden was and yet his team only won 5 fewer games.
PhxSunsFan1234
Sophomore

Post#27 » by PhxSunsFan1234 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:

I think Harden excels at certain aspects of the game but along the way he drags his teammates down. He reminds me of that version of Kobe several years ago where his team would almost always lose when he went for big points. He's nowhere near the player Kobe was but the idea is the same. And his complete lack of regard for defense makes him perhaps the most one-way player in the league. It befuddles me how people can call him a top 5 player when he is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He's an incredible individual offensive weapon but in a team game, I'll take Goran. Dragic wasn't surrounded by anywhere near the talent that Harden was and yet his team only won 5 fewer games.

You make it sound like Goran is a defensive stud. You're a homer if you'd take Goran over Harden. Nash was a defensive liability, would you not have taken him in his prime?

You find superstars and you build around them to hide their weaknesses (ala Dwight Howard being best rim protector in the game). It doesn't solve the problem, but it hides it enough to justify having the talent of a Harden on your team.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 pm

PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:
PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:

You make it sound like Goran is a defensive stud. You're a homer if you'd take Goran over Harden. Nash was a defensive liability, would you not have taken him in his prime?

You find superstars and you build around them to hide their weaknesses (ala Dwight Howard being best rim protector in the game). It doesn't solve the problem, but it hides it enough to justify having the talent of a Harden on your team.

Show me where I suggested or implied that Goran was a defensive stud. I'll wait. Defensively, Harden is one of the worst in the league, Dragic isn't. That's pretty simple.

Nash was a poor defender, so poor he was only slightly better at it than Harden. Harden is a great scorer but Nash was a great scorer and a great team player too. Big difference. But I always thought Steve was a little overrated too. A little. Same with Harden. He's a little overrated. Most people think he's the best shooting guard in the league, I think his lack of defense drops him down a notch. Most people think he's a top 5 player in the league, I think he's top 15. I think Goran is top 15 too but I prefer him because he's more of a team player than Harden.
Scutt
Senior
And1: 552

Post#29 » by Scutt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I would choose James Harden over Dragic. Harden is a better scorer, rebounder, and equal player maker when compared to Dragic. Over his career, he has been a consistently better 3 point shooter too. He led Houston to the playoff's in his first year there and has averaged over 25 points a game the past two seasons. Add this to the fact that he doesn't turn 25 until the end of august. Dragic is 28, averaged 20 and 6 for one season, and has yet to lead a team to the playoffs.

I think James Harden's overall game would really benefit from being on a structured team with a strong head coach that would keep him in check. I feel like Kevin McHale and Houston just kind of let Harden and Dwight do their own thing and don't have an offensive game plan that gets everyone involved. You stick James Harden on the Spurs and Pop would turn him into a much more likeable superstar, who has a game that isn't as painful to watch.
PhxSunsFan1234
Sophomore

Post#30 » by PhxSunsFan1234 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
PhxSunsFan1234 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:

Show me where I suggested or implied that Goran was a defensive stud. I'll wait. Defensively, Harden is one of the worst in the league, Dragic isn't. That's pretty simple.

Nash was a poor defender, so poor he was only slightly better at it than Harden. Harden is a great scorer but Nash was a great scorer and a great team player too. Big difference. But I always thought Steve was a little overrated too. A little. Same with Harden. He's a little overrated. Most people think he's the best shooting guard in the league, I think his lack of defense drops him down a notch. Most people think he's a top 5 player in the league, I think he's top 15. I think Goran is top 15 too but I prefer him because he's more of a team player than Harden.

You'd rather have a 28 year old PG (lets remember a position that is loaded with talent in the NBA) that has averaged 15.5 PPG over the past 3 years (when he's played more than 25mpg), 6.2 APG, 3 RPG on 46% shooting and 34% beyond the arc versus a 24 year old SG (a position with very little talent in the NBA) that has averaged 25 PPG, 6 APG, 4 RPG on 44% shooting and 36% shooting beyond the arc? Not only did Harden have a better statistical year this year than Goran, which was his only above average year in the league, but his PER rating was higher and he was more important to his respected team, which made the playoffs.

And lets not make it sound like Dragic is night and day better than Harden at defense. If you look at each others DRtg for this past season, James Harden allowed 107 points per 100 possesions compared to Dragic's 109 points per 100 possesions. Harden also has a higher DWS with an estimated 2.7 wins due to his defense compared to Dragic's 2.0 wins.

Offensively, it's not even close. Harden has a WS/48 of .221 compared to Dragic's .186 and his WS was 12.8 compared to Dragic's 10.3.

Stop being a homer. If you watch tape, you'll see Harden is better. If you look at stats, you'll see Harden is better. And Harden is consistent (identical numbers year over year since joining the Rockets) whereas Dragic has fluctuated and only has this one past great season under his belt. I'm a big Dragic fan, but you're out of your mind if you'd take him over Harden.
PhxSunsFan1234
Sophomore

Post#31 » by PhxSunsFan1234 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Scutt wrote:I would choose James Harden over Dragic. Harden is a better scorer, rebounder, and equal player maker when compared to Dragic. Over his career, he has been a consistently better 3 point shooter too. He led Houston to the playoff's in his first year there and has averaged over 25 points a game the past two seasons. Add this to the fact that he doesn't turn 25 until the end of august. Dragic is 28, averaged 20 and 6 for one season, and has yet to lead a team to the playoffs.

I think James Harden's overall game would really benefit from being on a structured team with a strong head coach that would keep him in check. I feel like Kevin McHale and Houston just kind of let Harden and Dwight do their own thing and don't have an offensive game plan that gets everyone involved. You stick James Harden on the Spurs and Pop would turn him into a much more likeable superstar, who has a game that isn't as painful to watch.

If they got a better coach, and Morey wasn't such a dumbass trying to go after "THE BIG 3" and re-signed Parsons (or at the very least get more depth for the team) then they would be serious contenders. Having an amazing starting 5 is useless if your bench sucks.
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#32 » by phrazbit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah, they're taking a step back this year. Parsons and Lin are not stars but they're quality players and Houston replaced them with significantly worse products. The West is too good lose that talent and not see a change in win total.

I'm also very weary of Trevor Ariza. That guy has fluctuated between above average and pretty damn bad throughout his career. Right after getting paid and in an odd locker room, I'd peg him for a bad season.

As for Harden. Yes, I really am kinda glad we didnt get him. I agree that he is one of, if not the best SG in the league, but thats more of an indicator of how weak the position is right now. He is very good on offense and a terrible defender and a questionable locker room guy. I cannot see how you make a legit contender built around him. Even WITH Dwight I do not think Houston is a legit contender. They're a team that is going to make the playoffs and get bounced very early.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#33 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeah - I'd much rather have Dragic, a hard-working, dedicated euro basketball player with high IQ and a passion for the game over an entitled, "I'm better than everyone" super skank that won't play defense.

And I'm being serious.

I would rather lose with Dragic than win with Harden.

I hope every SG Harden faces this year light him up. Kobe and Wade need to go full throttle against this twat waffle.

This attitude and these comments piss me off so much.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,188

Post#34 » by garrick » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Scutt wrote:I would choose James Harden over Dragic. Harden is a better scorer, rebounder, and equal player maker when compared to Dragic. Over his career, he has been a consistently better 3 point shooter too. He led Houston to the playoff's in his first year there and has averaged over 25 points a game the past two seasons. Add this to the fact that he doesn't turn 25 until the end of august. Dragic is 28, averaged 20 and 6 for one season, and has yet to lead a team to the playoffs.

Houston had a better team the first year Harden was on the Rockets and last season they had Dwight which gave them an elite rebounder and a double digit scorer inside that teams had to respect in the paint and yet the Rockets still lost in the first round.
Harden is better than Dragic individually but he is a negative on the defensive end and he is not really involved in play making either when he goes for his iso offense so the difference is not all that much.
He's a flawed superstar in that he gets his shots but as the Heat showed in the finals you can negate him by challenging his shot without fouling him and also to make him shoot the from mid range where he has been pretty poor career wise.
I think if Harden made the mental switch to be a more team oriented player by playing at least average defense and becoming more of a playmaker instead of a pure scorer that would make him a true superstar but until then he is just a better version of Gilbert Arenas.
NoKneeBledsoe
Junior
And1: 92

Post#35 » by NoKneeBledsoe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:51 am

I don't! We would have a stud on our team!
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Sun Scorched » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 pm

I think we're going to have a better year that Houston, honestly.

I know people seem to fixate on our offseason, but here is the honest +/- so far.

PHX:
+ Warren (draft), Ennis (draft), Thomas (signed), Tolliver (signed)
- Frye, Barbosa, Christmas, Smith

HOU:
+ Capella (draft), Johnson (draft), Ariza (signed), Dorsey (signed)
- Parsons, Asik

Frye was important to us, but the Rockets lost more talent than we did and also acquired less. And this is to say nothing of the fact that I think our players will improve more between last season and this upcoming season.

Go Suns!
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by Zelaznyrules » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I think we're going to have a better year that Houston, honestly.

I know people seem to fixate on our offseason, but here is the honest +/- so far.

PHX:

HOU:
- Parsons, Asik

Frye was important to us, but the Rockets lost more talent than we did and also acquired less. And this is to say nothing of the fact that I think our players will improve more between last season and this upcoming season.

Go Suns!

Assuming he signs, the upgrade from half a season of Bledsoe to a full season would also be significant. If he doesn't re-sign with us, I think we'll take a step backwards.
Scutt
Senior
And1: 552

Post#38 » by Scutt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:I think we're going to have a better year that Houston, honestly.

PHX:

HOU:
- Parsons, Asik

Go Suns!

I just do not see that happening. The Rockets may have lost more talent than us this offseason, but that is negated by the fact that they have more talent than the Suns to begin with. They have James Harden and Dwight Howard. You may not like them, but they are stars and stars get the calls.

Even if Bledsoe returns, I see the Suns fighting for the 8th seed once again at best, while Houston will make the playoffs comfortably. We overachieved last year and took the league by surprise with everyone having career years. The Rockets on the other hand, underachieved and got bounced in the 1st round and won 54 games. With Howard and Harden having a full year together under their belts, I think it is safe to say they will improve. Last year they were figuring out how to play together.

Do you think Dragic, Green, Markieff, Plumlee, and Bledsoe( If he is around) are all going to have career years again? I think our 48 wins last year was fools gold and I am certainly not ready to consider the Suns better than Houston, who has a top center and SG, especially when we don't even know what is happening with Bledsoe...
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Sun Scorched » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Scutt wrote:

PHX:

HOU:
- Parsons, Asik

Go Suns!

I just do not see that happening. The Rockets may have lost more talent than us this offseason, but that is negated by the fact that they have more talent than the Suns to begin with. They have James Harden and Dwight Howard. You may not like them, but they are stars and stars get the calls.

Even if Bledsoe returns, I see the Suns fighting for the 8th seed once again at best, while Houston will make the playoffs comfortably. We overachieved last year and took the league by surprise with everyone having career years. The Rockets on the other hand, underachieved and got bounced in the 1st round and won 54 games. With Howard and Harden having a full year together under their belts, I think it is safe to say they will improve. Last year they were figuring out how to play together.

Do you think Dragic, Green, Markieff, Plumlee, and Bledsoe( If he is around) are all going to have career years again? I think our 48 wins last year was fools gold and I am certainly not ready to consider the Suns better than Houston, who has a top center and SG, especially when we don't even know what is happening with Bledsoe...

So your argument is that the Suns regress in every way and the Rockets improve in every facet? Not a chance. We have far more players ready to take a jump talent-wise than does Houston. Harden and Howard aren't getting any better, neither is Ariza. Capella is raw as hell and Johnson was a late 2nd.

Dragic is legit. I get not wanting to get excited about his continued success, but he was consistent and he came ready to play every night. You remember when he got snubbed? He rattled off like three 40 point games in a row in answer - that's intentional talent, not blowing up for 40 against Sacramento.

Green, Markieff, Plumlee, Len and Warren all have the opportunity to blow up this year. If we get Bledsoe back and healthy, he'll play twice as many games as last year.

Oh, and we added Isaiah Thomas (who is perfect for our system and drastically underrated) who is better than anyone not named Harden and Howard on the Rockets.

I would be thrilled if we performed at the same level as last year, but we have a legitimate chance to outperform that. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that the Suns regress, other than unfounded cynicism. General logic would hold that a team under a second year coach, with one full year of team basketball and more talent would be better, not worse.
On Steve Nash:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,323

Post#40 » by DirtyDez » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Harden got them to the playoffs before Dwight got there. Now that they have two stars the Rockets aren't going anywhere. I can see Golden St jumping them now that they'll have some type of offensive structure.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.

Return to Phoenix Suns