Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Re: Hornacek 2nd in NBA Coach of the Year 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 am

NaturalBuns wrote:
Your rookie season seems to be the best for AZ sports.
I'm a fan of horncek but I've been a fan of others as well across the valley and past suns teams.
It just never last.

I wouldn't just equate what happens in other sports to how Hornacek will do. It can sometimes be bad for coaches to overachieve quickly though because fans expectations get unrealistically high. This happened with D'Antoni and Gentry and after getting to the WCF quickly, when they didn't after that people started blaming them, even though there are always a lot of factors for this, including luck.

But Hornacek has mostly learned from two coaches who didn't get fired but had long tenures and eventually stepped down (Cotton and Sloan). He is/was a very smart player who worked hard and was tough and couldn't just rely on athleticism. I think this helps immensely when getting the most out of players whether they are athletic or not. They can be smart AND work hard and he can lead by example.

I could see him having a Sloan type run here. Obviously it would make it easier if we could draft or sign a star and have them be here for a long time. That stuff is largely luck.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#22 » by Revived » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 am

If Al McCoy can vote Tucker #1 for DPOY, then I don't see why Coro can't do the same for Hornacek.
ShawnBronald
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#23 » by ShawnBronald » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm

SF88 wrote:If Al McCoy can vote Tucker #1 for DPOY, then I don't see why Coro can't do the same for Hornacek.

Coro, just like Nick Piecoro for the Diamondbacks, doesn't want to be labeled a "homer", so he purposely voted for another candidate even though his hometown representative was most deserving. Coro even admitted that he felt Popovich, Hornacek and a couple others were equally deserving and there was no wrong vote. So in that case..... why not vote for the guy you've personally covered for 82 games??? :crazy:
toucansma
Pro Prospect
And1: 153

Post#24 » by toucansma » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 pm

ShawnBronald wrote:
SF88 wrote:If Al McCoy can vote Tucker #1 for DPOY, then I don't see why Coro can't do the same for Hornacek.

Coro, just like Nick Piecoro for the Diamondbacks, doesn't want to be labeled a "homer", so he purposely voted for another candidate even though his hometown representative was most deserving. Coro even admitted that he felt Popovich, Hornacek and a couple others were equally deserving and there was no wrong vote. So in that case..... why not vote for the guy you've personally covered for 82 games??? :crazy:

I have no problem if he picked a worthy alternative, which he did. I think being objective can be a good thing.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#25 » by nevetsov » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:53 pm

All the Spurs media guys voted for Pop.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#26 » by Damkac » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

I wish Hornacek win this but well, 2nd place behind a legend like Pop is still great, especially for a rookie coach
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,484

Post#27 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 1, 2014 5:09 am

What a bummer as I thought Hornacek deserved this award. Phoenix won 23 more games than they did last season but if the Suns made the playoffs and had a few more wins (50) then he would of definitely won it. There is always next season but I'm sure Horny cares about making playoffs and reaching 2nd round or further then some silly award.
Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

Post#28 » by Big NBA Fan » Thu May 1, 2014 8:39 pm

Hornacek should have won, in my opinion.

But speaking of great young coaches in the NBA, how bad do you think Steve Kerr and David Griffin feel about their decision to hire Porter over Mike Budenholzer in 2008?

That was a costly mistake.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,639

Post#29 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 1, 2014 10:33 pm

Big NBA Fan wrote:Hornacek should have won, in my opinion.

But speaking of great young coaches in the NBA, how bad do you think Steve Kerr and David Griffin feel about their decision to hire Porter over Mike Budenholzer in 2008?

That was a costly mistake.

You can say that again
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns