ImageImageImage

The Tolliver Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Re: The Tolliver Thread 

Post#101 » by Revived » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

PhxSuns1 wrote:Still don't get how anyone so adamantly thinks Frye>Tolliver. Its not like Frye provided anything but being a stretch 4. Did you guys not cringe every time Frye took an inside shot?

Yea but you cant just ignore Frye's +/- and RPM.

I don't understand how anyone can diminish that type of greatness.
Beetlejuice
Junior
And1: 151

Post#102 » by Beetlejuice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 pm

PhxSuns1 wrote:Still don't get how anyone so adamantly thinks Frye>Tolliver. Its not like Frye provided anything but being a stretch 4. Did you guys not cringe every time Frye took an inside shot?

Look over Frye´s inside FG % son.

Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#103 » by Sun Scorched » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 pm

gaspar wrote:And he rates pretty well in RPM: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_ ... position/6
SF88 will hate him :lol:

Thought I'd quote this for people reading later on in the thread. Had no clue.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#104 » by TASTIC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Ha, Frye right up there but Tolliver not that bad!

I'd love Amir Johnson here. Wonder if TOR would take Ennis for him?
RandomVillain
Junior
And1: 15

Post#105 » by RandomVillain » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:56 pm

I don't feel good. Hopes were high going into the offseason. Free agency opened up and Suns were in the mix of landed LeBron, Bosh, Carmelo, Deng, maybe a trade for Love. And, instead it's just, this. My stomach hurts.
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#106 » by irish22022 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Am I the only one who never considered those top tier free agents even the slightest possibility?

I like Isiah, and Tolliver is fine. He'll be playing less then 18 minutes a game. It's not a big deal. We still need to build into a reliable system. We had one good year. Give us 3 good years and some sustainability and then we'll get some bigger names.
YFZblu
Assistant Coach
And1: 412

Post#107 » by YFZblu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Beetlejuice wrote:

Look over Frye´s inside FG % son.

rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#108 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 pm

SF88 wrote:

And Frye is so much more manly than Tolliver too.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#109 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 pm

What's your actual argument for Tolliver over Frye other than "cringe"?

Mind you, I like this signing a lot. I just haven't seen you put forth a real argument.
Marz11
Junior
And1: 125

Post#110 » by Marz11 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:32 pm

RandomVillain wrote:I don't feel good. Hopes were high going into the offseason. Free agency opened up and Suns were in the mix of landed LeBron, Bosh, Carmelo, Deng, maybe a trade for Love. And, instead it's just, this. My stomach hurts.

In reality, the big guys have total influence in where they want to go and teams are willing to do whatever it takes to get them there. Phoenix at the moment is not a place big guys want to come. Not enough hype or off court money. The only way I think is to get super deep and do it that way. IT signing is an example of that.

McD has still kept flexibility though.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#111 » by Revived » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 pm

rsavaj wrote:
SF88 wrote:

Yes but that's not really much of an accomplishment, everyone is more manly than Frye :wink:
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#112 » by aIvin adams » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 pm

rsavaj wrote:
SF88 wrote:

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#113 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 am

Daredevilish wrote:
1UPZ wrote:Man…. I've always looked upon him as scrubbish…

…. dunno if its going to change just because he wears a suns jersey… maybe he improves… lol.

Who knows? He could benefit from our system as much as we'd benefit from having him. Our system seems tailor made to put the stretch four in a central role, which could inflate his stats.

I'm not betting the farm on him until I see him in action with Dragic and Bledsoe, though.

Sent from my XT1058 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Yeah, I don't think any of us had any sort of expectations for Green or Plumlee either, so don't count out how Hornacek, Dragic and Bledsoe will potentially get the best out of him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#114 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:27 am

TASTIC wrote:Dude had a 34pt 21reb game.

Not many people can say that.

People getting antsy about spending $3m per year on a guy who will open the floor up even more for both our guard penetration and Kieff down low.

I really like our 2nd unit now, it looks very strong:

Len
Tolliver
Mook
Green
Thomas
^that team isn't just going to hold leads vs other 2nd units, it will bury them with 4x above average 3pt shooters and hopefully Len's improvement on the block.

That isn't even including Warren's crazy scoring potential and Archie's unreal ability to get to the line.

I still smell a trade. Mook possibly - Warren needs minutes now...

Damn that's true....look at all those three pt shooters. Then we also got Warren behind that? If Len still sucks we can just play Warren, Mook and Tolliver in the frontcourt and run teams off the floor....stretch it out and let Thomas, Green and Warren drive straight to the basket while the bigs stretch the floor. Yeah, D could be a problem but Len isn't a defensive juggernaut by any means.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#115 » by Kerrsed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:07 am

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Daredevilish
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#116 » by Daredevilish » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 am

Seems like they have a similar shot chart, though Frye obviously took a lot more attempts. Frye was definitely more effective when paired with Dragic in the pick and pop, so I'll be interested to see how Tolliver handles that. I imagine he'll slot right in to the system and finish the season with a shot chart very close to Frye's.
garycarnivals
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#117 » by garycarnivals » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 am

first 6 page thread on Anthony frickin Tolliver in history, congrats suns fans.

Has anyone actually seen him play? There is absolutely no way he impacts the game as much as Frye did. I watched him on the Wolves, he's a garbage minutes type player and good cheerleader. That's it.

Also he's undersized for a PF (6'8). :roll: We're going to miss Frye's length. And seeing Ed Davis go to the Lakers for a million a year makes my blood boil even more.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#118 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Kerrsed wrote:Image

The one thing I actually noticed from this was it seems Tolliver can consistently hit from other areas behind the arc, including the baseline, which it doesn't seem Frye really did all that well.

Also, I notice a lot more blue around the rim for Frye.

So, two thoughts:

1. Does Tolliver's ability to hit from different areas on the floor help spacing more?

2. Conversely, if Tolliver focused on only hitting from one spot on the floor (a la Frye), would his % increase?
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
aIvin adams
Analyst

Post#119 » by aIvin adams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Kerrsed wrote:Image

source?
aIvin adams
Analyst

Post#120 » by aIvin adams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:
So, two thoughts:

1. Does Tolliver's ability to hit from different areas on the floor help spacing more?

my feeling is: not really. you can only be in one place at a time, and one of frye's places was the furthest from the hoop that tolliver can effectively go, so what's the difference?

2. Conversely, if Tolliver focused on only hitting from one spot on the floor (a la Frye), would his % increase?

good question. i wouldn't be surprised if that spot Frye likes is also a spot dragic likes him to be in. if frye pops right after a high screen it gives dragic his dribble hand and an open floor. if he gets a lot of burn w dragic i would expect his shots to cluster in the same area.

Return to Phoenix Suns