lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,640

Re: Offseason Thread 7: A Tale Of Two Dragons 

Post#1101 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:37 am

spanishninja wrote:check out this awards prediction story

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2014 ... ons-102014

almost unanimously looking at IT2 as 6th man of the year. nice.

almost no love for anybody else though. not nice.

No one's on the WarWagon it seems
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1102 » by Blackification » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 am

I dont like this bench unit maybe itll be better with len

LoL wrong thread but whatever
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#1103 » by Revived » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 am

spanishninja wrote:check out this awards prediction story

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2014 ... ons-102014

almost unanimously looking at IT2 as 6th man of the year. nice.

almost no love for anybody else though. not nice.

Bledsoe got some love for the All Defense teams.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#1104 » by Flying Colors » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 pm

The phoenix suns voted against lottery reform, most likly to decrease the chances of lakers keeping thier pick
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#1105 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Flying Colors wrote:The phoenix suns voted against lottery reform, most likly to decrease the chances of lakers keeping thier pick

That's interesting. I'm a little bit surprised. I definitely don't think Colangelo would have voted against it. I doubt they did it solely to increase their odds of getting one pick though. The odds will probably be only slightly less anyway, if any.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#1106 » by NavLDO » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

phrazbit wrote:
SF88 wrote:The CBA absolutely sucks. Rookies are ridiculously underpaid.

I'm not saying Len deserves more based on his play but a 5th overall pick should be making more than $4M/season imo.

No they aren't. Len basically got an NBA MLE deal after being a mediocre center in the ACC. Right now Sacramento is paying Derrick Williams 6.3 million to be their backup backup backup forward, I could go on and on. More guys flop on their face than succeed. The successes are briefly underpaid but are rewarded with fat deals, the failures get more money than 99% of people get in their lifetimes to be a crappy NBA player for a few years, jet setting around the country and getting laid.

Agreed. There are several different options to approach the rookie wage scale:

The NBA could develop a more flexible compensation system for rookies. And I don't think you'd have issues from the players union, IMO. Make it so that teams sign rookies for anywhere between 2-5 years. If a team is confident that the rookie will pan out, then allow them to sign them for longer. Catch is, if you do sign them for longer, you have to compensate them at a higher rate. But if you aren't confident, then sign them for 2 years. But again, a catch. A 2-year contract would be followed by a URFA period--not RFA. I know they have a similar type by allowing teams not to pick up the option on rookies, but that doesn't give the player an option.

Another system I think they should employ is a maximum rookie wage. depending upon how many years of college they play. If the player decides to opt out after their Freshman year, then, for example they can't earn more than $.5M; after Sophomore year-$1M; after Junior year-$2M; after Senior year-$4M. And those rates apply for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, so the max a player can earn in their 1st contract would be $7.5M. If you come out after your Sophomore year, you can earn $1M, but your 2nd year, you can earn $2.25, 3rd year-$3.75M, 4th year-$5.5M for a max total of $12.5M. And so on, so not only is your 1st year limited, but your entire contract is limited. That might make some of these guys think about getting out as soon as they are.

Anyway, a couple of ways to restructure the rookie pay scale AND discourage 19 year old kids from entering the league before they are ready.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1107 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

NavLDO wrote:Another system I think they should employ is a maximum rookie wage. depending upon how many years of college they play. If the player decides to opt out after their Freshman year, then, for example they can't earn more than $.5M; after Sophomore year-$1M; after Junior year-$2M; after Senior year-$4M. And those rates apply for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, so the max a player can earn in their 1st contract would be $7.5M. If you come out after your Sophomore year, you can earn $1M, but your 2nd year, you can earn $2.25, 3rd year-$3.75M, 4th year-$5.5M for a max total of $12.5M. And so on, so not only is your 1st year limited, but your entire contract is limited. That might make some of these guys think about getting out as soon as they are.

Anyway, a couple of ways to restructure the rookie pay scale AND discourage 19 year old kids from entering the league before they are ready.

I love this idea. Incentivize players for staying in college which allows them to better develop their skills in a more engaged environment while giving scouts a better look at the prospects.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#1108 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
NavLDO wrote:Another system I think they should employ is a maximum rookie wage. depending upon how many years of college they play. If the player decides to opt out after their Freshman year, then, for example they can't earn more than $.5M; after Sophomore year-$1M; after Junior year-$2M; after Senior year-$4M. And those rates apply for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, so the max a player can earn in their 1st contract would be $7.5M. If you come out after your Sophomore year, you can earn $1M, but your 2nd year, you can earn $2.25, 3rd year-$3.75M, 4th year-$5.5M for a max total of $12.5M. And so on, so not only is your 1st year limited, but your entire contract is limited. That might make some of these guys think about getting out as soon as they are.

I love this idea. Incentivize players for staying in college which allows them to better develop their skills in a more engaged environment while giving scouts a better look at the prospects.

With all the restrictions placed on college programs, I'm not sure there is a worse place to learn the game today. I like the idea of keeping these kids away from the grind of a physical 82 game season until their bodies fill out a little more but there has to be a better way than forcing them into the college environment. They need to make the D League a better place for young players so that the ones that aren't interested in academic pursuits can still develop their game for the pros.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1109 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:04 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

With all the restrictions placed on college programs, I'm not sure there is a worse place to learn the game today. I like the idea of keeping these kids away from the grind of a physical 82 game season until their bodies fill out a little more but there has to be a better way than forcing them into the college environment. They need to make the D League a better place for young players so that the ones that aren't interested in academic pursuits can still develop their game for the pros.
Care to elaborate on the restrictions? I'm not from the US so I'm not as knowledgeable in this aspect.

My issue is not so much the grind but the fact that most rookies ride the pine and get little to know playing time which really stagnates their development. I like the college idea because they have more game time and more often than not, actually play in games that matter as opposed to the NBA where they are usually playing garbage time.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#1110 » by Zelaznyrules » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:With all the restrictions placed on college programs, I'm not sure there is a worse place to learn the game today. I like the idea of keeping these kids away from the grind of a physical 82 game season until their bodies fill out a little more but there has to be a better way than forcing them into the college environment. They need to make the D League a better place for young players so that the ones that aren't interested in academic pursuits can still develop their game for the pros.

Care to elaborate on the restrictions? I'm not from the US so I'm not as knowledgeable in this aspect.

My issue is not so much the grind but the fact that most rookies ride the pine and get little to know playing time which really stagnates their development. I like the college idea because they have more game time and more often than not, actually play in games that matter as opposed to the NBA where they are usually playing garbage time.

I don't remember the specifics anymore but about a decade ago they drastically reduced the amount of time that the Coaches can work with the players during the season and cut out the offseason contact completely (IIRC). I know they loosened it a year or two ago allowing limited Coach contact during the offseason but I think even now it's no more than 2 hours a day and no more than 8 per week. Maybe somebody here can fill in the holes for me on this.

I think the NBA needs to really develop it's own product. The money is there and the fan interest is there. Right now is the perfect time to basically steal college basketball from the NCAA. Put more money into the D League and entice the upper tier High School Players to go directly to the mini-pros.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#1111 » by NavLDO » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Zelaznyrules wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:With all the restrictions placed on college programs, I'm not sure there is a worse place to learn the game today. I like the idea of keeping these kids away from the grind of a physical 82 game season until their bodies fill out a little more but there has to be a better way than forcing them into the college environment. They need to make the D League a better place for young players so that the ones that aren't interested in academic pursuits can still develop their game for the pros.

I don't remember the specifics anymore but about a decade ago they drastically reduced the amount of time that the Coaches can work with the players during the season and cut out the offseason contact completely (IIRC). I know they loosened it a year or two ago allowing limited Coach contact during the offseason but I think even now it's no more than 2 hours a day and no more than 8 per week. Maybe somebody here can fill in the holes for me on this.

I think the NBA needs to really develop it's own product. The money is there and the fan interest is there. Right now is the perfect time to basically steal college basketball from the NCAA. Put more money into the D League and entice the upper tier High School Players to go directly to the mini-pros.

And that type of system would work as well--I mean, truly make it a development league, and you have a choice, stay in college, or come out and make some money, and play in the development league, but still have a restriction on how soon after high school they are allowed to join the NBA.

The point is, is get these kids some time to develop their bodies and skill before going up against the NBAers.

But at the same time, I would still advocate education. It's like the Military, in a sense. Come in right after high school, come in as an E-1, spend a year in college first, come in as an E-3, spend 3-4 years getting your bachelors, you come in as an O-1. So that's why I thought of the other plan...it enforces education as well...the more education you have, the more money you make.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Post#1112 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:01 pm

You could take JROTC class in high school and come in as an E-3, but yeah I get what you're saying. ;)
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1113 » by bigfoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 pm

NavLDO wrote:
Zelaznyrules wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

And that type of system would work as well--I mean, truly make it a development league, and you have a choice, stay in college, or come out and make some money, and play in the development league, but still have a restriction on how soon after high school they are allowed to join the NBA.

The point is, is get these kids some time to develop their bodies and skill before going up against the NBAers.

But at the same time, I would still advocate education. It's like the Military, in a sense. Come in right after high school, come in as an E-1, spend a year in college first, come in as an E-3, spend 3-4 years getting your bachelors, you come in as an O-1. So that's why I thought of the other plan...it enforces education as well...the more education you have, the more money you make.

The fundamental restriction is college is the only game in town for moving to NBA. This implies that any high school kid with basketball potential is going this route. Unfortunately many of these players (and other non-athletes) are not college material. They are not mentally or emotionally prepared to get a college degree. If they can't make the grades then they are ineligible to play. So coaches and University play the system and figure out how to manipulate the classes and professors into passes grades. The whole system is wrong.

Personally I feel the American education system (high school and basketball) shouldn't be the minor league system for the NBA. Major league baseball and European soccer have it correct with extensive minor league systems. It is a rare thing to see a kid right out of high school play in the MLB. Instead they work their way up through single A, double A, and triple A ball. They might get a decent signing bonus out of high school but then their annual salary is pretty marginal until they prove the can make it to the big league.

How to fix it. Expand the D-league so that every NBA team has a full affiliate team. Adjust the pay scale based on the league their playing in. Higher draft pick players can get bigger signing bonuses but are on basically the same pay scale as other DNBA players until they make it to the big league.
dgwdum
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1114 » by dgwdum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Flying Colors wrote:The phoenix suns voted against lottery reform, most likly to decrease the chances of lakers keeping thier pick

I don't think that will make a difference, the lakers have needed big minutes from their starters to beat Utah and Portland 3rd string teams. They will unfortunately probably pick top 3 since lin and 1/2 a Kobe won't carry them to more than 25 wins.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#1115 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm

dgwdum wrote:

I don't think that will make a difference, the lakers have needed big minutes from their starters to beat Utah and Portland 3rd string teams. They will unfortunately probably pick top 3 since lin and 1/2 a Kobe won't carry them to more than 25 wins.

If their that bad, Kobe is going to lose his mind and everyone is going to get fired in LA LA land.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#1116 » by Frank Lee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 pm

I think one of the problems with this team is the lack of a hard running PF or C. Plumlee does move well but is generally ineffective offensively. Len will be confused for the season. KeifMo is a plodder up and down the court.

We are a long ways away from a SSOL line up.... and that seems to be what our guards are set up for.
What ? Me Worry ?
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#1117 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Lakers fans are amusing. Can anyone see the problem with this?

@Edeeg17: @KennyAndCrash willing to bet my huevos rancheros that Lakers will a title before ur Phoenix Suns do.

“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
BurningHeart
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#1118 » by BurningHeart » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm willing to bet too.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1119 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 pm

bigfoot wrote:How to fix it. Expand the D-league so that every NBA team has a full affiliate team. Adjust the pay scale based on the league their playing in. Higher draft pick players can get bigger signing bonuses but are on basically the same pay scale as other DNBA players until they make it to the big league.

The problem is there's no money in the D-League and the NCAA and broadcasters have massive TV deals running. They would have to move mountains to shift those broadcasting deals away from the NCAA, have an exciting product in the D-League and also somehow shift the mindset of young kids from college ball to the D-League.

The D-League right now isn't a development league, it's a rejects league.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#1120 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Bledsoe put up a picture of him and Kevin Johnson in Suns uniform on his Instragram. Love you Bled

Return to Phoenix Suns