Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Re: Who should start at C for the Suns? 

Post#62 » by Revived » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:30 am

JDLAW wrote:
SF88 wrote:
JDLAW wrote:
Except Green showed something that got him his present contract during a season with the Nets, Tucker showed something overseas and Channing Frye was a good player with the Knicks before being traded in one of Thomas' terrible trades. Lopez was a very good player in his 2nd year with the Suns until he was hurt and was a good player in the later part of his final year with the Suns - actually outplaying Gortat down the stretch - before Blanks decided he wanted to keep Gortat over Lopez. Lopez was also very good for the Pels before ending up in Portland.

All these examples you bring out showed skills before getting their breaks. Biyombo has not showed any real basketball skill, but he is an athlete. He has had opportunities in Charlotte over the past 3 years. He just has not shown any development and furthermore, according to his head coach, he seems to have regressed in his work ethic and consistency.

I agree sometimes a player needs a different environment to blossom, but sometimes a player is just not skilled enough to make a meaningful impact (See Thabeet). I think Biyombo is headed into that category if he is not already there.

Well if that is your criteria, then Biyombo showed something to get drafted top 10. That should count just like the others you mentioned.

Again, some players just suck period. Then there are some players who play well in a different system with a different coach.

Biyombo is one of those low risk, high reward players.

What precisely did he show, other than he could jump and that he had reach? He has no offensive skills to speak of and his defense and rebounding does not seem to be good enough to get him minutes.

To me, he appears to be a low risk - low reward player

In Charlotte who is a pretty good defensive team even without him. In Phoenix, that wouldn't be the case. Suns have to be willing to sacrifice a little offense if it means getting much better on the other end.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#63 » by JDLAW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:55 am

Putting Biyombo on the Suns in not giving up a little offense - it is akin to playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. The team has enough offensive lapses and does not need such a handicap. Moreover, he has not shown to be such a defensive presence that he would be any better than what the Suns have at center.

It simply would not be a good fit on the Suns.
phrazbit
Sixth Man
And1: 649

Post#64 » by phrazbit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:35 am

This has to be the longest and most pointless conversation about Biyombo happening anywhere in the world. The lingering myopia people get with athletic former high draft picks, even after they've gone bust, never ceases to amaze me.

The guy is a bad player who has gotten worse with each season of his career and now cannot escape the bench. He is absolutely unusable on offense, pimping his FG% requires some real blinders. He never, ever, ever shoots. His FG% is what it is because the only time he feels confident trying to put the ball in the hole is if no one is near him. In 2013 when he was a bit more liberal with his offense he shot 45%. Plumlee has significantly higher rebound rates and is generally a vastly superior player across the board. This is not a player who just has not gotten opportunity. No. Biyombo has been given a LOT of playing time and is now in his 4th season.

Even in the hypothetical scenario of him landing on the team the only guy who would potentially lose minutes is Len... which I'm sure would be much to the displeasure of most who want Biyambo.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#65 » by nevetsov » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Josh Childress

/greenfont
Revived
RealGM

Post#66 » by Revived » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:44 pm

JDLAW wrote:Putting Biyombo on the Suns in not giving up a little offense - it is akin to playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. The team has enough offensive lapses and does not need such a handicap. Moreover, he has not shown to be such a defensive presence that he would be any better than what the Suns have at center.

Yea I watched Biyombo yesterday, your right he sure is an awful basketball player and definitely not a low risk high reward type player.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#67 » by roma258 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Seems like you guys are pretty down on Len. I'm a Maryland grad, so I saw him a bunch in college. I always thought his game would translate better in the NBA. Hopefully he can stay healthy long enough to get comfortable and show his stuff.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

Post#68 » by Christine-In-AZ » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:46 pm

roma258 wrote:Seems like you guys are pretty down on Len. I'm a Maryland grad, so I saw him a bunch in college. I always thought his game would translate better in the NBA. Hopefully he can stay healthy long enough to get comfortable and show his stuff.

He's been the best and brightest thing so far this season. Most of us are very excited about his Suns' future.
Revived
RealGM

Post#69 » by Revived » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm

roma258 wrote:Seems like you guys are pretty down on Len. I'm a Maryland grad, so I saw him a bunch in college. I always thought his game would translate better in the NBA. Hopefully he can stay healthy long enough to get comfortable and show his stuff.

We aren't down on him, we're down on the fact that he doesn't start over Plumlee.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#70 » by roma258 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:36 pm

SF88 wrote:

We aren't down on him, we're down on the fact that he doesn't start over Plumlee.

Ah gotcha, hopefully he will soon enough.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#71 » by JDLAW » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:50 am

SF88 wrote:
JDLAW wrote:Putting Biyombo on the Suns in not giving up a little offense - it is akin to playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. The team has enough offensive lapses and does not need such a handicap. Moreover, he has not shown to be such a defensive presence that he would be any better than what the Suns have at center.

Yea I watched Biyombo yesterday, your right he sure is an awful basketball player and definitely not a low risk high reward type player.

One game does not make a player!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#72 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm

I think most suns fans are actually very encouraged by len. Dude still has a long ways to go but his combo of size, quickness, and skill are very intriguing. He looks like a totally different player now that he's healthy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns