ImageImageImage

Archie Goodwin

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Archie Goodwin 

Post#1 » by Dan Z » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Why doesn't he get more minutes? Is it that he's not very good? Or stuck behind better players? Or a bit of both?

I thought in the past he's shown some potential.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: Archie Goodwin 

Post#2 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00 pm

He has yet to develop a consistent outside shot. He has at least 4 guards ahead of him in the rotation. He is not going to be ahnded a spot, he has to earn it. He hasn't done that yet.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#3 » by King4Day » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Too much depth is the issue imo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#4 » by Revived » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Both. He needs to get in better control and there's also zero opportunities because the Suns have a million guards on the team.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,805

Post#5 » by thamadkant » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Too many players "ready" now ahead of him.

Bledsoe,
Dragic
Thomas
Green
even Tucker can slide in at SG.

Suns simply dont have minutes to spare to Goodwin, Ennis and Warren.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,323

Post#6 » by DirtyDez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Is this question serious? Look at the roster.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#7 » by Dan Z » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:57 am

Yes it's a serious question. Goodwin is a player who has shown some potential in the past and I was curious to know about his development.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#8 » by Zelaznyrules » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:09 am

Dan Z wrote:Yes it's a serious question. Goodwin is a player who has shown some potential in the past and I was curious to know about his development.

He has lots of potential but he's still very raw. He had no business leaving college after one year, he did it for the wrong reason. He struggled as a freshman and Calipari recruited a class that was likely to see him relegated to the bench. So he joined the NBA because he was worried he wouldn't get enough playing time in college. Right now he's a great athlete with a shortage of basketball smarts. If he ever really makes it, he'll probably make it big but making it is far from a given for him.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#9 » by aIvin adams » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 am

archie IS starting, and will likely make an all-nba team this yr

he's leading the league in blocks which is unbelieavable from a guard

oh wait.. sry thats my nba2k
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#10 » by Blackification » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Yes it's a serious question. Goodwin is a player who has shown some potential in the past and I was curious to know about his development.

He has lots of potential but he's still very raw. He had no business leaving college after one year, he did it for the wrong reason. He struggled as a freshman and Calipari recruited a class that was likely to see him relegated to the bench. So he joined the NBA because he was worried he wouldn't get enough playing time in college. Right now he's a great athlete with a shortage of basketball smarts. If he ever really makes it, he'll probably make it big but making it is far from a given for him.

I agree with this, he is very good at driving to the basket but most of the time he is out of control. He has tunnel vision and hasn't improved his shooting at all since he got drafted. I can sometimes see the potential but I don't get why so many people are high on him.

Now TJ Warren on the other hand.. he needs some minutes
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#11 » by RaisingArizona » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 am

He will either be traded or given a chance to play once a trade happens. Our current team has regressed from last year so something needs to be done.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#12 » by Zelaznyrules » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:50 pm

ginobiliflops wrote:He will either be traded or given a chance to play once a trade happens. Our current team has regressed from last year so something needs to be done.

Our current team is not the team of last year. Many of us said it, here and elsewhere. Frye was a necessary component of an offense designed around two penetrating guards. Frye is gone, so is our offense. If Goodwin was a catch and shoot guard, he'd probably get some time right now and he could help make up for the loss of Channing. But he's like Bledsoe without the polish, and Bledsoe isn't all that polished.
Marz11
Junior
And1: 125

Post#13 » by Marz11 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:12 am

Blackification wrote:I agree with this, he is very good at driving to the basket but most of the time he is out of control. He has tunnel vision and hasn't improved his shooting at all since he got drafted. I can sometimes see the potential but I don't get why so many people are high on him.

Yeah but the jump shot is a confidence thing, You can see the total fear whenever he takes one. It is always short and there is always some hesitation.

This will only improve with actual playing time where he can work through it.

In practise he apparently shoots well.

The team has regressed because they're simply not working hard enough and a few of the guys are being selfish which is causing chemistry issues.

Plus it doesn't help when your best player becomes the second or third option. :crazy:
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#14 » by LV-Suns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Looks like he is getting frustrated with the team

“Of course it is going to be frustrating for me, because I am a competitor,” Goodwin told Sporting News. “I have enough confidence in myself to believe I can play right now. A lot of guys, once they get here, they sort of feel like, ‘Well, it’s OK, I will get my opportunity eventually.’ That’s not me. I feel like I could be playing right now. In that sense, it is very frustrating.” …

“I don’t know what they’re doing,” he said. “Honestly, I really don’t. I guess they know what they’re doing — I can just play ball and let them make the decisions. I don’t know what the purpose is for it, but there is nothing I can do about it.” …

He expects his chance to come next year. If not, he might not be in Phoenix much longer.

“If it don’t come next year, I’m not going to take it,” Goodwin said. “That’s basically what it’s going to come down to. But that’s not for me to worry about, that’s for my agent to talk to those guys about.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ustrating/
I Dont wanna be here
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#15 » by RunDogGun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 pm

LV-Suns wrote:Looks like he is getting frustrated with the team

“Of course it is going to be frustrating for me, because I am a competitor,” Goodwin told Sporting News. “I have enough confidence in myself to believe I can play right now. A lot of guys, once they get here, they sort of feel like, ‘Well, it’s OK, I will get my opportunity eventually.’ That’s not me. I feel like I could be playing right now. In that sense, it is very frustrating.” …

“I don’t know what they’re doing,” he said. “Honestly, I really don’t. I guess they know what they’re doing — I can just play ball and let them make the decisions. I don’t know what the purpose is for it, but there is nothing I can do about it.” …

He expects his chance to come next year. If not, he might not be in Phoenix much longer.

“If it don’t come next year, I’m not going to take it,” Goodwin said. “That’s basically what it’s going to come down to. But that’s not for me to worry about, that’s for my agent to talk to those guys about.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ustrating/

"I'm not going to take it"? :lol: Dude you have no choice. Well I guess this shows why he doesn't get more playing time, he is an idiot! :(
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#16 » by Cutter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:48 am

Archie has major flaws as a player, even if you take into account that he is only 20 years old.

Most people on Realgm confuse athleticism with basketball talent. Archie has off the charts athleticism, but very little basketball talent right now. Let's hope he can change that in the near future.
Scutt
Senior
And1: 552

Post#17 » by Scutt » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:00 am

^ While I agree that Goodwin has some flaws in his game, he has basketball talent. If not, he wouldn't have put up 29 points in a game as a raw 19 year old rookie. Its not just that he is athletic, he has a nice first step and a natural scoring ability, but there are a lot of areas he can improve on for sure.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,762

Post#18 » by Revived » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:30 am

Scutt wrote:^ While I agree that Goodwin has some flaws in his game, he has basketball talent. If not, he wouldn't have put up 29 points in a game as a raw 19 year old rookie. Its not just that he is athletic, he has a nice first step and a natural scoring ability, but there are a lot of areas he can improve on for sure.

Yup and he can improve those areas while developing when given minutes.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,201

Post#19 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:
ginobiliflops wrote:He will either be traded or given a chance to play once a trade happens. Our current team has regressed from last year so something needs to be done.

Our current team is not the team of last year. Many of us said it, here and elsewhere. Frye was a necessary component of an offense designed around two penetrating guards. Frye is gone, so is our offense. If Goodwin was a catch and shoot guard, he'd probably get some time right now and he could help make up for the loss of Channing. But he's like Bledsoe without the polish, and Bledsoe isn't all that polished.

Frye sucked and still sucks. You guys like to use advanced stats to justify him for some reason.

But when players like Markieff and IT are leading in some advanced stats you burn them on the stake.

SMH.

Frye is a scrub.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#20 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:00 am

SF88 wrote:
Scutt wrote:^ While I agree that Goodwin has some flaws in his game, he has basketball talent. If not, he wouldn't have put up 29 points in a game as a raw 19 year old rookie. Its not just that he is athletic, he has a nice first step and a natural scoring ability, but there are a lot of areas he can improve on for sure.

Yup and he can improve those areas while developing when given minutes.

He can improve those areas every day in practice going against 4 guards who are better than him in all of those areas, and by doing that he won't hurt our win-loss record.

Return to Phoenix Suns